It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many guns are too many?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis
Our right to keep and bear arms is written in to our bill of rights. Our constitution and bill of rights makes us citizens not subjects like England and many other countries. The difference between citizen and subject is FREEDOM OF CHOICE!!!!!!

I am also a crooked-toothed, tea swilling Englishmen. Well, not so crooked; I wore braces (retainer).

My passport shows clearly that I am in fact a "U.K. Citizen". Hope that helps.

For the record, all your talk of guns does sound alien to me and I won't apologies for that.

But, neither should you.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by texas thinker

IMHO, you have too many guns if you can't carry them all at once.

You only need three. A good handgun, rifle/carbine, and shotgun. Leave the extra weight you can carry for ammo, toilet paper, and extra underwear.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I have 23 rifles, shotguns, pistols and revolvers all together. and I still want more. It's not as much a SHTF situation as it is a I like guns and like many different types of guns so I am more an avid collector and recreational shooter.

In reality, how many do you need is another question entirely. A shotgun is best to have for home defense. I does not require a lot of aiming and it is less likely to go through walls. A pistol is good to have around being most self defense issues are within 21 feet according to many states. That's why it is the qualifying distance for many concealed carry license. It would be a good idea to think about caliber and how available a caliber might be if things were to go bad. If one is thinking about the I need to be able to protect myself in a SHTF type thing you would want something in a military caliber (223, 30-06, 308). A 22 LR rifle would be great for hunting small game. Also 22 ammo is some of the most plentiful on the planet. I've seen it in drug stores even.

So a shotgun, a pistol, a small rifle, and a bigger rifle and you would be OK for about anything I would imagine. But that sure takes the fun out of having guns and shooting them.
I have a bunch of them and want more. But again I see guns as more than a simple tool to feed and possibly protect me and mine. In many cases they are a work of art. Just look at the 1911 A1 semi auto. More people own those than any other in the world. and they have had minimal changes since 1911..The time they were first used as a U.S. military sidearm.

so go on. get as many as you can. Try to take into consideration the caliber and how easy it will be to come by in a given situation. any caliber the military is using will always be available somewhere. So the 223, 30-06, 308 are great rifle calibers. 223 is the cheapest of those. Pistols NATO loved the 9mm. Some use the 45ACP. and 22's are everywhere.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by texas thinker

....What in your opinions would be too much invested in firearms for the average household, especially in light that I am not an avid hunter but like to target shoot for fun on ocassion?

Say a shotgun, a rifle, and a hand gun for each household member? A couple of hundred rounds for each weapon, or a few thousand? I want to be prepared if TSHTF someday, but don't want to sqaunder thousands of dollars on stuff I won't ever need. (Nor sell back for destruction for a $50 grocery card
...different subject).

You can never have too many Firearms in your possession, so long as you are a Responsible and Considerate Owner/Operator of these items.

Most of what I have, has been passed down through Family generations, so I have enough as far as I am concerned. I am not currently a Hunter, but I do plan on using Firearms for Protection (Most notably in the Wilderness), and I enjoy Target Shooting as well (I am a Sharp Shooter).

I can tell you that I definitely find my Firearms to be amazingly enjoyable, especially the Historic pieces which I have (From Family).

Also, I am extremely Paranoid when it comes to Safety and such, and I cannot count the Number of times I have witnessed individuals with horrible Safety Procedures. So make certain that for each and every firearm you own, you have a method for Locking them and Storing them in a secure environment. Also make certain that you follow all Safety Procedures when Cleaning and Using your Firearms. If need be, take some classes and learn the basic tenants of Firearm Ownership.

I cannot stress Safety and Competency enough when it comes to Firearm Use.

Now as far as Particulars, a Shotgun, Rifle, and Handgun for each member of your Family/Household is definitely an understandable proposition.

Shotguns are great in terms of Raw Stopping Power, and they are extremely versatile when it comes to Survival.

Rifles are great in terms of Range and Hunting Ability. A Rifle allows for extremely good Accuracy at a Distance.

Handguns are great in terms of a Secondary Back-up Firearm, Self-Defense Purposes, and all Around Close Range Use.

Now obviously all of these Firearms are vastly different when it comes to Cleaning, Handling, and Firing Methods, so make certain that each and every individual is completely acquainted with whatever variety you so choose for them.

The Bottom Line is that you should feel free to own as Many Firearms as you deem yourself Capable of: Safely Locking-up, Gaining Full Competency With, and Maximizing Your Proficiency With.

Remember the Competency and Proficiency aspects, NEVER Forget them, because that is what truly matters in ANY given Situation where you might need to utilize a Firearm. A Fully Competent individual with a .22 Sidearm can do a much better job taking care of themselves, as opposed to a completely "lost" individual with a .464 Casull.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

You hit the head right on the nail

Seriously, you can't stress safety enough. Many people have bee hurt or worse with an "unloaded gun".

Great to hear someone besides me that gets the enjoyment factor of recreational shooting. Especially the older models. It's pretty neat to get to hold something that has stood the test of time. Family hand me downs are that much better

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by malcr
Do you gun toting US citizens know how sad and uncivilised you sound to us non US citizens ?

Talk about a need to grow up! The sad thing is you just can't see it can you?

This coming from a resident of the most violent first world nation (Scotland) according to a recent UN study.

We could really care less exactly what you think, we trust our citizens with guns, you happen to live in a country where the government doesn't trust you with guns. Based on the average standard of British behavior, I really can't blame them.

Of course you're so disgusted by our lack of civilization that you never take your holidays in the US - because that would make you a worthless hypocrite wouldn't it.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Instead of buying a bunch of guns, what people should do is buy three or four reliable weapons, namely a pistol, an assault type weapon, a shotgun, and if finances allow, a high caliber weapon for long range and big game hunting. Save the rest of your spare money for other neccesary supplies and lots of ammo!

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRealDonPedros
One is too many.

As long as you have as many guns as the enemy, you have enough........If you don't...........WELL BUY MORE!!

That's the same ridiculous logic that got us here in the first place. Once you start down that road you can't stop until you've been killed or killed.

When the SHTF everyone is going to be to busy looking out for themselves to worry about their tiny genitals and get into pistol fights.

You are the reason that I'm going to be "heading for the hills", when the time comes.

Peace

Were you told a lie in school that Lexington and Concord and Paul Revere's ride were about something other than guns and ammo?

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by malcr

Free men own guns.... Slaves don't. Do you own guns? Don't get upset because your a slave, its not my fault.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by tac109

That's a fact!

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I figure that 1 of each type would be sufficient. one handgun, (.40 caliber at least. 9mm is readily available but lacks stopping power and is generally a weaker round.) one rifle, ( .223 is routinely panned in the gun circuit, but they are fast, and good all around rounds. 7.62/.308s are good too, but if you gotta hunt a rabbit or something small, you run the risk of disintegrating it when you hit it. if you need it in a self-defence situation, all i can say is i've personally never had a problem and i was an infantryman in iraq 06-08.) and a shotgun, 12 gauge.
overall, simpler is better. a good revolver, while not having the capacity a semi-auto does, is easier to maintain and you don't have to worry about jamming. ever. same goes for rifles and shotguns. simple. the less # you have to worry about breaking down, the better. and in situations where you need the weapon for whatever purpose is the moment it WILL break

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   

A good defense is no defense. Its a battle you cant win, so don't even risk getting involved in it. Head for the hills.

Peace

Ummm... A good defense is.... NO defense?

General: Mr.President, Washington has been invaded. What is our plan of action?

President: Meh, let's not do anything and they'll probably go away. The best defense is not defending yourself afterall...

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freqzer0

A good defense is no defense. Its a battle you cant win, so don't even risk getting involved in it. Head for the hills.

Peace

Ummm... A good defense is.... NO defense?

General: Mr.President, Washington has been invaded. What is our plan of action?

President: Meh, let's not do anything and they'll probably go away. The best defense is not defending yourself afterall...

The best defense is a good offense. Take the fight to your enemy on your terms and have the element of surprise.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Lets see.
1 on each thigh.
1 on the ankle.
1 on the back waist.
Shotgun and assault rifle on my back and an MP5 at the ready.
That makes 7.
So 8 would be too many.
Do i get a an RPG too?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimstad

could probably use a claymore or two as well... and having a mortar never killed anyone ( if you don't count all the people we killed in Iraq for firing a mortar at us).

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I would like to ask a favor: Could everyone who has posted that they are against the private ownership of guns please give us your name, address, and phone number so that when the next revolution occurs I know where to get supplies?

Thanks!

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
considering that guns assist me in maintaining my rights...and considering that I hunt and spend time in the mountains...and am an avid shooter... I do not figure there is really to many guns that a person could have...

The anti's will scream that it is a matter of "what you should have"...but hey the government says they can and do know what is best for all of us (fat chance)... and considering they cannot even balance a check book... I rather doubt they know what is best or what is right...

But I have several dozen weapons and ammo for all, reloading gear to the max (and I am still learning to reload better) so when ever I really see one I want... I just go get it...

but I rather doubt there is what is really to much or to many... it ought to be left to the person buying them and based upon what that person feels they need....

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Like with all things it depends.

If its the end of the world and i have a truck there arnt to many guns.

But really the rule of thumb is keep it light all gun do the same thing in the same way so why take forty gun every where you go when all you might need is one or two something for long and mid range close range.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Those from other countries who get on these threads about gun ownership really makes no sense.

Like men with no feet getting into a discussion about running shoes.

Like I want your opinion!

No one weapon will do all things well. In combat, I carried a variety of weapons, depending on the terrain and tactical deployment, but regardless of what tactical long gun I carried, I also carried a sawed off .12 guage pump rigged to carry across my back, a 1911, two combat knives, one in my web gear, one on the inside of my left leg, a machete, and my SF tomahawk on my left hip.

Weight. Weight should be your determining factor. If you'll be traveling in a truck, hell, fill it up with weapons and ammo.

You have a fixed position, whatever you can store.

But if traveling on foot, at least 420 rounds for your primary, and what you can carry for your backups, which is generally much less.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
Those from other countries who get on these threads about gun ownership really makes no sense.

Like men with no feet getting into a discussion about running shoes.

Star for that quote.

I'm afraid it's the Brits, they'll disappear shortly, it's almost time for afternoon prayers.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join