It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many guns are too many?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
While currently I am very firearms light, due to the recent news and postings about ammunition becoming scarce and expensive, new gun control bills being touted about in D.C. and the general state of affairs I am saving to hopefully build my own small arsenal.
What in your opinions would be too much invested in firearms for the average household, especially in light that I am not an avid hunter but like to target shoot for fun on ocassion?
Say a shotgun, a rifle, and a hand gun for each household member? A couple of hundred rounds for each weapon, or a few thousand? I want to be prepared if TSHTF someday, but don't want to sqaunder thousands of dollars on stuff I won't ever need. (Nor sell back for destruction for a $50 grocery card
...different subject).

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I think when you have to ask how many guns are too many, you might have too many guns. Haha but hey have alot of ammo.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
It is a personal call, I guess it all depends on how many you can carry. Then again there are arguments to be made for too many

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Depends I would want everyone in my home armed with a hunting rifle, shotgun, and handgun.

Having a few extra around along with lots of ammo is always good for when hard times are about. You can trade for some really good stuff with firearms and ammo.

As far as too many? Everyone is different and depends on the situation I say. If your going to post up at your house I don't think you can have to many, if your going to be roaming around then it does you no good to have 30 guns.

I really wouldn't be worried about AR-15's and AK's and the like just for the simple fact if things get that bad you will be able to walk down the street and pick one up there are so many of them.

IMHO.

[edit on 1-3-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
My advice would be to study military units and tactics. Every specialized element has specific weapons for their combat oriented roles.
Of course you can't just pick up an M249 squad automatic weapon off the shelf but why not have a couple of shotguns, semi auto rifles and maybe even some long range rifles and cross train your group on how to support each other using them.
Having a bunch of people packing serious heat is worthless unless they have the necessary training... So why don't you consider how many/different types of guns you need for the number of people you have to protect each other efficiently.
Obviously lots of ammo, as when sitx hits there wont be any going to the shop to get some. You'll either trade or scavenge.
Just my 2 cents

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by texas thinker

Hey, I understand what you mean if your talking budget....

Get EVERYONE a .22 rifle... why? Because you can still get 550 rounds for $16 bucks at Walmart... enough said.

As for AR's and AK's... now is a bad time to buy those, prices are through the roof (unless you really want them) and the ammo has skyrocked for these as well.

Shotgun.. yes, the ammo is still pretty cheap as well.

Want some cheap rifles and cheap ammo ?(non scoped)
www.gswagner.com...
Grab some mosin nagants (7.62x 54 ammo) for just about or slightly over $100 bucks. Ammo is still cheap for these compared to .308 rounds.
www.districorp.ca...

ammo: www.sportsmansguide.com...
www.sportsmansguide.com...

As for pistols (if you haven't got any and or have little ammo) grab a 7.62x25 (the money you save on ammo will pay for a gun or two)

1,224 rounds for $134 bucks... yeah, you can't beat that.
www.sportsmansguide.com...

Here is a 762x25 pistol:
www.floridagunworks.com...

www.theboxotruth.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
As long as you have as many guns as the enemy, you have enough........If you don't...........WELL BUY MORE!!

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
A good scoped 30.06 hunting rifle and a hand gun.

The 06 will get you a AR or AK if SHTF just be good at long range shooting.

The Criminal element will come out of the woodwork and supply you with just about anything you need and you will be doing a public service ridding them of there firepower.

I have a AR15 but i bought it back in 1973 and only payed $75 dollars back then.

I may carry it as a back up weapon but a high power long range scoped hunting rifle will be my main weapon.

I don't intend for bad guy to get close to my hide out and its very hard for someone with a AR15 that is accurate to 600 yards to get close to someone that can hit then with a 30.06 at 1000 yards.

Even a RPG is only good for 900 yards max.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
One is too many.

As long as you have as many guns as the enemy, you have enough........If you don't...........WELL BUY MORE!!

That's the same ridiculous logic that got us here in the first place. Once you start down that road you can't stop until you've been killed or killed.

When the SHTF everyone is going to be to busy looking out for themselves to worry about their tiny genitals and get into pistol fights.

You are the reason that I'm going to be "heading for the hills", when the time comes.

Peace

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by texas thinker

The more, the merrier(and safer) As far as types of firearms, variety is the spice of life. Be careful though, you really shouldn't advertise how many guns you have or are planning to procure on the internet though. Do not do your work for them.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by daeoeste

daeoeste Mood: weary of war

------------------------------

Weary of war and finding merriment in violence..

Head for the hills indeed.

Peace

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRealDonPedros
One is too many.

That's the same ridiculous logic that got us here in the first place. Once you start down that road you can't stop until you've been killed or killed.

When the SHTF everyone is going to be to busy looking out for themselves to worry about their tiny genitals and get into pistol fights.

Speak for your own genitalia and short-sighted lack of self-defense paraphernalia. You are obviously no student of history. An armed populace is the only reason government has to sugar coat the crap they are trying to feed us.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Mr. peace, we have our freedoms because our founding fathers refused to accept tyranny..........An I for one refuse it as well....If you want to be a sheeple go ahead, But please read history and our constitution before you down play guns.Russia,China and Germany had there guns taken from them and if you could ask them there opinion, I'm sure they would agree with me...Whoops I forgot most of them, millions are dead?........Well if I'm going to die, I will for one, die fighting...........................................................

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I shudder to think that anyone might be influenced by these "What kinda gun/how many guns" threads that are all over the place.

The majority of you will more than likely end up shooting yourself or loved ones in the process of defending your material possessions.

A good defense is no defense. Its a battle you cant win, so don't even risk getting involved in it. Head for the hills.

Peace

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   

One is too many.

You are the reason that I'm going to be "heading for the hills", when the time comes.

Peace

Well I hope you tell that to the first person that tries to take your gear or food or your life or has its way with your SO (not that I desire this things to happen to you ever!) just because you were an easy target. In a state of anarchy most people will show their selfish opportunistic ways. Guns are a necessary evil IMO. And besides it didn't start with guns, their just a tool, I would say the arms race started with who ever had the most sharp rocks or sticks, but they weren't just living in the wild looking out for themselves were they?
Oh and sure head for the hills, I'm sure people who have survived in the wilderness never needed their guns any way they just ate flowers and mushrooms.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   

daeoeste Mood: weary of war

------------------------------

Weary of war and finding merriment in violence..

Head for the hills indeed.

Peace

Oh god....this is pretty weak. Are you trying to derail this topic or what?

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   

"You are obviously no student of history."

According to which version of history?

I am familiar with Newtons 3rd law though. When A pushes on B, B pushes back with an equal and opposing force.

Unlike you, I am not a slave to causality and can choose to remove myself from the equation(ie - dont push back, just leave). Until this is realized... HISTORY WILL REPEAT ITSELF.

So keep on pushing back in your infinite struggle with your own insecurity.

Peace

PS - This is no thread derailment, I am answering your questions as well as answering the OP. How many guns are too many? ONE

IF anything you're derailing the thread by discussing my motives instead of letting the mods worry about that.

[edit on 1-3-2009 by TheRealDonPedros]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
One more thing peace, and this will be my last comment TheRealDonPedros.
I would pay to see you make a comment like that to any of my buddies in Afghanistan right now... See if you have the apropriate genitalia to take their place...

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
let's try Newtons law with guns?...........Some one shoots at you........You don't shoot back.........YOU DIE.......Wow that was simple.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   

"You are obviously no student of history."

According to which version of history?

I am familiar with Newtons 3rd law though. When A pushes on B, B pushes back with an equal and opposing force.

Unlike you, I am not a slave to causality and can choose to remove myself from the equation(ie - dont push back, just leave). Until this is realized... HISTORY WILL REPEAT ITSELF.

So keep on pushing back in your infinite struggle with your own insecurity.

Peace

PS - This is no thread derailment, I am answering your questions as well as answering the OP. How many guns are too many? ONE

IF anything you're derailing the thread by discussing my motives instead of letting the mods worry about that.

[edit on 1-3-2009 by TheRealDonPedros]

Funny point of view facts being that you came here making comments about others people genitalia... Hahahaha how enlightened. I guess the translation is push first then run away... I would love it for you to start a thread on this though so that we could further elaborate on your vast historical knowledge.

EDIT I just couldn;t help myself on this one but this wil be the last one...

[edit on 2-3-2009 by TheDarkFlame]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join