It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many guns are too many?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Do you gun toting US citizens know how sad and uncivilised you sound to us non US citizens ?

Talk about a need to grow up! The sad thing is you just can't see it can you?

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I'm making do with my M700.

Perhaps a handgun would serve well but I don't need one just yet!

And all this from some crooked toothed, tea drinking, Englishman!

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
This is another of those...I really don't think its anyone's business. I you can afford 1000 or more and your not using them to kill people, WHO CARES. My job is not to be your nanny. Isn't this why we have a Capitalism Government, Not Democracy like people want to change it to, but Capitalism. Unless you are buying so many guns that no one else can, well, then it would infringe. Until then I see nothing wrong in being your own person, I don't want my tax money going for Nanny Government.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
There's no limit in my opinion, but if you are looking at a SHTF scenario...I'd say a shotgun is the most versatile, can hunt fowl/varmints, use slugs to hunt deer and hogs, and can be used very well for defense. A handgun is always good for close quarters and last efforts, plus it's easy to pack and conceal. I won't say you NEED a good rifle but it'd be nice. If it was a true SHTF scenario, would you be able to carry all these? And what about ammo? A gun is useless without ammo, make sure you have enough and can carry enough if need be.
A .22 is good practice and good fun, and if the SHTF you can hunt squirrels and other critters with it.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
My personal preference is to have the weapons that exhibit commonality. For example, a good .22 rifle like the Ruger 10/22 and a good .22 pistol. Commonality in ammo. The same holds true for a rifle. My preference is the 30.06 both in a hunting rifle and in the M1 Garand. A good shotgun is always a plus.

Handguns are another story. The thought about a handgun is that "it's what you use to get to your rifle."

To the Euros who slam us for wanting/having guns: I know how to protect myself and my family when shtf. If someone comes calling for you and your family and they are armed...you've already lost.

[edit on 3-3-2009 by Jmurman]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
You want the real answer to your question?
I assume that you have enough guns by now, so
the basic consideration before going out in reluctance to buy your much wanted rounds is:

How accurate a shot are you?

I mean if you are above average, about 10000 rounds will do you justice.

That will be enough to wipe off a small town........

[edit on 3/3/2009 by GEORGETHEGREEK]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
The purpose of having a gun in the first place is to defend yourself in case you are attacked. The question is, "how many people do you think will attack you." If the answer is, "all of them." then you probably want as many fully automatic weapons and as much ammonition as you can afford.

In the mean-time, why don't you stop wasting bullets shooting at beer-cans.

just kidding silly redneck

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I currently carry a 30.06 Remington with a decent scope, and a 40cal. P229 which is my baby. However in light of the economy and NWO threat growing stronger everyday I'm thinking of trading in the 40cal. for a more standard ammunition size like the 9mm and trading my riffle in for either a 9mm riffle or a 22cal. riffle.

Main thing to keep in mind when and if SHTF is ammo. When production of ammo stops the popular ammo is what you want to be firing. 40cal. and 30.06 are not a very popular round in the US or much of the world. I believe the 9mm is by far the most widely produced and used caliber for any weapon. 22cal. is very popular in the US.

Shotguns are nice but I wouldn't waste the space on it. Get a sword for close combat and a handgun for mid range combat. Shotguns are for night prowlers and amateur shooters.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by texas thinker

I always figured more than you need usually equals more than you can lift. hahaha

But seriously. even in a TSHTF scenario, ammo will be more of a concern than how many weapons. For the most part, a pistol and shotgun are all you'll ever really need. If you plan on hunting, a decent 22 rifle for small game. Anything bigger, use a shotgun.

As for types, the more mechanically simple, the better. Forget the carrying capacity of an automatic pistol. if you didn't kill it after 2 shots, you wont need the other 10. A good solid double action revolver is a good choice. So is a well made pump action shotgun. A single shot .22 rifle isn't bad either.

I used to go crazy target shooting way back when. between my dad an dI we would being lets see the caliber listing..
.22, .222, .223, .243, .30 carbine, .303 British, .308, .30-06, 300 H&H Magnum. yep, them paper targets were definitely dead once we were done..

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by malcr
Do you gun toting US citizens know how sad and uncivilised you sound to us non US citizens ?

Sad and uncivilized? Our right to keep and bear arms is written in to our bill of rights. Our constitution and bill of rights makes us citizens not subjects like England and many other countries. The difference between citizen and subject is FREEDOM OF CHOICE!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis

Originally posted by malcr

Sad and uncivilized? Our right to keep and bear arms is written in to our bill of rights. Our constitution and bill of rights makes us citizens not subjects like England and many other countries. The difference between citizen and subject is FREEDOM OF CHOICE!!!!!!

Not only that, he calls us uncivilized and tells us we need to grow up, as he attacks us with insults. Alas , I am not here to argue , I just wanted to help the OP with some ideas.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I would love to get hold of a Remington Fireball.

The weapon that fired the lethal shot that day on the dealey plaza...

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I am a exfelon over a bar fight... Now I am Just a sitting target. Any guns in my possesion get's me 10 years fed time and whatever state time they want to give.

People wonder why there is so much crime. We have no Choice cauz all you idiots are running around with a thousand guns in your house ready to shoot anything that moves.

Guess I'll just have to go ninja style and hit you with blowdarts laced with poison.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
But if no one has guns to begin with why have one?

Solution one is too many, it is known as a fact if you take out a gun or knife in a robbery etc you are more likely to be shot or stabbed yourself by your own weapon......

If the SHHTF well before it happens move out of the USA!

Because too many are there now already, so it wouldn't matter how many you have.

To be honest a lot of people who write about this online would throw up as soon as they shot someone anyway, wouldn't make you very protected for the waves of people you all imagine?
I have found real soldiers and such like don't talk or brag about it too much, and it takes a lot of training to get them able to pull that trigger for real.

Imho 1 is to many, and many who brag about it couldn't do it, or would be so traumatised they would be useless for the rest of the encounter.

Hey guys whats wrong with CS or something to get away rapidly....

elf.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ciphor

Shotguns are nice but I wouldn't waste the space on it. Get a sword for close combat and a handgun for mid range combat. Shotguns are for night prowlers and amateur shooters.

With all respect, I couldn't disagree more. Most people without combat experience will act like amateur shooters in the face of a life or death situation. A shotgun for close quarters self protection is almost a gauranteed win, when considering most perps carry handguns. A shotgun is also the most versatile weapon.

Pistol usage is limited to last chances or concealment situations only.

IMO, take what you have and learn to use it well. In reality you will only need one gun.... to shoot someone else and take their gun

When TSHTF the predators will be crawling out from the woodwork.

To those of you who are anti-gun.......................

predator or prey.....

think very hard before you decide because you won't get a second chance.

www.news.com.au...

Interesting for a country which "outlawed" firearms. Seems the criminals kept their guns. I just can't believe it! I would have thought they'd have followed that one law.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

To be honest a lot of people who write about this online would throw up as soon as they shot someone anyway, wouldn't make you very protected for the waves of people you all imagine?
I have found real soldiers and such like don't talk or brag about it too much, and it takes a lot of training to get them able to pull that trigger for real.

While I'm sure this could be true of Average Joe Citizen I don't think it would be the case with most here. First, how many of us would be concidered an "average citizen"? How many of us have grown up as the TV generation, how many here may still be growing up as the video game generation? If you truely believe most people couldn't pull the trigger it means you put zero stock in any and all topics about mind control, subliminal messages, and the like. I personally think most could pull the trigger and carry on with a previous conversation without thinking about it. I fully believe that this world is becoming desensitized to the violence, it will only make it easier for the man to take over.

To the OP, I'm in favour of each able member of a family, unit, group having a handgun for personal protection. I carry a 32 auto, it's lighter, easier to conceal, and super easy to control, and regardless of what people say about larger calibers, ballistics for self defense loads in 32 has the ass behind it to stop a man with one shot, especially at close range. I also love some of the pack rifles in 22lr, compact, cheap ammo, great for small game killing. And if you are needing a little more juice, the AR is a great platform, conversion kits for multiple calibers, a whole slug of options for special/specific uses, general use, hunting, defense, sniping, offense, you name it, you can build it. And hey, those military boys have spare parts, lot's of spare parts, LOTS of spare parts. Personally I shy away from shotguns, but I guess that's from a lifetime around rifles. So I'd go with 3 guns total if I were packing it through the hills as I'm running. Let's see, handgun, 1 lbs, pack rifle, 3 lbs, AR, 8 lbs, that's only 12 lbs for 3 guns............plus that pesky ammo thing, where did I put that bandoleer?

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Smokin Gun

predator or prey.....

To be honest, I feel sad for the anti-gunners. What you said is true, when those evil people search out the weak with there illegal guns, the anti-gunners will suffer. There are some sick people out there too. Sick people I would never let touch a child. How can you say, esp if you have a child, that you wouldnt use a gun to keep them safe? I feel very bad for them indeed.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
if the SHTF personally i wouldnt mind having a gun but gun fire is loud and i think i would prefer moving around at night under darkness with some sort of blade or maybe a straight up bow and arrow. when you shoot a gun everyone hears it and there is muzzle flash, its hard to keep cover unless you have a silencer which im guessing most gun owners dont. why not set up traps, you have too look at how many people are dealing with at any moment, if its a low number of say 3 or 4 in your household you could easily take them down with traps/some sort of blade. Think about it if someone storms your home with a gun and you both start shooting its not gonna be good, most walls are made out of drywall, bullets will go through alot of surfaces in the standard home, bullets that could hit you or your family members or your dog. Also if you are shooting, people will see that you have a gun and ammo and they are gonna try to get it from you so if you start using a gun you better know how cause you are gonna have alot of people coming after you because everyone knows to survive you need the bigger stick.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Smokin Gun

Originally posted by Ciphor

With all respect, I couldn't disagree more. Most people without combat experience will act like amateur shooters in the face of a life or death situation. A shotgun for close quarters self protection is almost a gauranteed win, when considering most perps carry handguns. A shotgun is also the most versatile weapon.

Pistol usage is limited to last chances or concealment situations only.

IMO, take what you have and learn to use it well. In reality you will only need one gun.... to shoot someone else and take their gun

predator or prey.....

www.news.com.au...

Interesting for a country which "outlawed" firearms. Seems the criminals kept their guns. I just can't believe it! I would have thought they'd have followed that one law.

Same in the UK, when you outlaw guns only outlaws have guns... doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that ..... some are so naive.

A GUN crime is carried out in Britain every 52 minutes, new figures showed yesterday. Cops dealt with 9,967 last year (that's some pretty good gun crime number in a country with no guns)... LOL

www.thesun.co.uk...

Knife crime claims 60 victims a day
More than 20,000 serious knife crimes were committed last year, The Sunday Telegraph can reveal.
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Living in Britain is now more dangerous than the Balkans, report reveals

www.dailymail.co.uk...

And best yet, the UK prosecutes those who defend their freeking homes from burglars and suggests that if you see a crime in progress that you don't get involved??? What bizarre behavior... I just do not understand it, you pretty much tell the criminals that they WILL get away with the crime and the victim is not allowed to resist the crime or help someone else getting assaulted for fear of prosecution if you do!

And Don't forget to leave your sheds open for the criminals... might want to pack your stuff in a box to make it easier for them to carry....

Council advises homeowners to leave sheds open for thieves
A council is urging allotment holders not to lock their sheds in case thieves damage the structures while breaking in.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

My god.. demand the right to defend yourselves (at least in your own homes) without fear of prosecution!

Shoot the thugs! Blast a few of these pieces of # and most or your problems will go away quickly... thieves don't like deadly force used against THEM you know.. right now they have an open season pass on the public and they prosecute those who defend themselves... unbelievable. I cannot understand it at all.

It amazes me that people actually think that THIS is a good idea for the US.... our thugs are 10 times more numerous and 10x more dangerous... If drugs can come over the border by the TONS what makes anyone think that any criminal who wants a gun wouldn't get one? I cannot imagine what life would be like if you were prosecuted for defending your home. Wait, I can and it is not pretty.

To many so call "civilized" people are Dangerously Naive.

[edit on 3-3-2009 by infolurker]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
No such thing my friend...

Your right as an American is to bear arms...not bear just 1 arm or 2 arms...

Stock up while you still can, there's a shortage of guns seeing as how paranoid people are now becoming.

It boils down to safety and protection...the more the merrier so to speak.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join