It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do People Really Believe Mediums ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I mean cmon. This is I of the oldest scams in the book. These sick people pray on grieving peoples guilt. They tell you all is ok, the deceased have forgiven you , still love you and all for only 50 bucks. P T Barum said "There's a sucker born every minute". If these people had any such powers , dont you think they would be doing more important things than telling you Aunt Marge is in a better place.
I mean a little proof , like telling you where D B Cooper's money is would be nice .

[edit on 25-2-2009 by branty]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by branty

hmm i think some mediums are good people, they use their knowledge of the world to guide confused people through hard times however tose that pretend to talk to the dead, they can be awful people at times.

When a child goes missing, as in the case of maddy mccan, the parents are deluged with people who 'know what happened' and a lot of the time they say terrible things or offer false hope. I read one account of a woman who phoned up a mum and said the missing girl had been sold into the sex trade, the body latter turned up in a lake where she had slipped and drowned -imagine thinking your daughter was being used as a sex slave! Also another famous case of a medium who claimed a child was murdered causing he family to suffer awful pain before he came walking back in a week later having been hiding in the woods perfectly safe.

In this day and age i think everyone is able to use the cold reading and soft predicting skills which mediums use, we should all accept that we're able to guess or #know# certain things we don't understand, the power of our subliminal brain is far grater than our conscious thought processes although we need to then use our modern powers of logic and reasoning to cleverly choose what's worth acting on.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
double post.

sorry

[edit on 25-2-2009 by NatureBoy]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Not being personal, but how much research have you done?
Where are some links or own experience, or anything?

Or is this just a thread designed to take the p out of people who believe something else than you do?

IMHO, there are spirits and there is no reason why trained people (commonly called mediums) can't communicate with them. There is obviously lots of hoaxing, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible..

Blessings,
Samuel

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I have always thought that some of these on tv programes may be faking it but have always given them the benefit of the doubt. There are some people out there that do sound genuin.

To be honest though I lost my faith in mediums in general when it was revield Derek Acorah had been faking it.

Link

Still some are pretty convincing.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Well sure poeple believe in it.... just like children believe in santa claus and the easter bunny. As long as ignorance exists....

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I know people need to believe something, but to believe these con people.... hard to believe , i would like some proof of something solid

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

so, iow... life, the universe, mind, consciousness and primary perception are mere epiphenomena of matter... imho, the reductionist viewpoint is an incomplete model
of what IS

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Perhaps you should read this recently created thread.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
I'm not saying it will change your mind but this has been posted by a skeptic and would be interesting to you, I believe.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Now I dont expect anyone to believe me and I dont want to convince anybody here, in fact I dont care at all what you believe or not.

But I can tell you that there are real mediums that can communicate with spirtits. I am visiting a seance group for 15 years and I have seen a lot of first hand examples of mediums that are incredible acurate in there communication.

I am a very curious, but also very sceptic guy with both my feet on the ground. I am a succesfull business man, my wife is a doctor, I think I am a clever person. Its not easy to trick me with paranormal hocus pocus. Believe me there are a lot of fake people around who claim they are mediums but are charlatans.

You have to find a good one! Trust your gut feelings, thats all I can say.
Dont give anything away and let them give you info that only you can know.
Mediums who ask a lot money for a seance are not the real ones!!!

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I suggest the OP actually do some research before he makes an utter fool of himself. That is about the best advice that I can render to the OP of this thread. Thank ya, and, ahem, have a nice day.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by branty
I know people need to believe something, but to believe these con people.... hard to believe , i would like some proof of something solid

That which is "solid" is not very "solid" at all.
Much of what you think is "unreal" is more real than what you think is "real." Get my drift?

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
i only believe in midget psychics taht escape from prison.

aka - small medium at large.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Do people believe in Mechanics??

If so...I'd introduce you to a Mechanic at our local garage. Guy couldn't fix a motor worth a damn...

Just coz hes in a greasy set of overalls, spinning a spanner and working in a garage with 0800-FIXACAR as the phone number doesn't mean he knows what the hell he is going on about...

Not all Mechanics working in garages are any bloody good.

Not all Mechanics are working in garages.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I went to a medium who knew what my fathers name was, his best friends name, his job and how he died. She also described my dead nan in detail and her personality (she was a complete sadistic *****) She knew what my sister was studying in university and knew my mums job and that we are moving house and the date we would move house.

She knew everything about me and I gave her no information and answered only with yes and no. Nothing was left to interpretation, I am aware of cold reading etc I'm not an idoit

I told her nothing about myself and she would not have known anything about my family as I grew up at the otherside of the country. Also she only charged £15

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by branty

I suspect that the OP is a windup, to provoke people into some kind of heated discussion, if not; then they have a great deal to learn.

I don’t know anything about making chocolate Easter Eggs, and if I wanted to find out how to make them, then I’d do some research, read some books and go and see them being made.

Obviously the OP doesn’t know anything about Mediumship and Psychic matters, and can only offer the usual sarcastic remarks as their opening post. This adds nothing to the debate and deserves to be flushed down the tubes with the other ordure.

top topics

join