It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The SUSPENSION of illicit drugs/mind altering substance topics on ATS (The experiment failed)

page: 78
<< 75  76  77    79  80  81 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

well, whats done is done, if you feel so strongly, contact springer or S O, and discuss it with him. We ARE going round and round, with the same answers on both sides. Perhaps SO will step in and say something, i don't know what to tell you anymore.

I like you, and i respect most of your posts on the board, i am speaking passionately from a certain standpoint, and so are you.

We will see what tomorrow brings.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

Where in that did SO say that the vote had to end this afternoon? Because I am just missing that part, apparently. He said the thread had been up 24 hours, yes, but I dont see where he said the whole process had to come to an end before this afternoon was over.

And none of that has anything to do with the "sorry for you, should have been here if you CARED" crap that has been coming from some of you. "Cant make everyone happy, but if you cared, shoulda been here.." Dont blame SO for that tripe. Even if he had said it, no one else had to spout it too.

I think his attitude toward 24 hours being sufficient time is clueless as well. But he isnt the one locking me out of the voting. People here are.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Very well said and for what it is worth I agree and have agreed since the very start. Cutwolf has a very good idea. Let me expand in that idea:

In addition, people not on the list can vote for those 6 they would vote and list 1 "alternative" not one the list. All alternatives will have their votes tallied and can be part of the DISC. In that way people who were not even thought of could indeed be the ones selected.

Now if that can be done in a timely manner, I am 100% for it.

link   

Originally posted by nj2day
People who could self nominate themselves are now entitled to a vote? just because they were here early enough, and self rightous enough to self nominate?

No, just because they were concerned enough to volunteer for a position that will probably cause a lot more headaches than warm fuzzies.

Personally, I volunteered myself because I have plenty of time, am interested in the topic both from the point of view of medical/pharmaceutical law and ethics and from the point of view of the role the drug trade plays in underpinning unsavory government actions and the role the drug war/morality issue plays in separating and distracting the public.

I'm also good at seeing things from multiple perspectives and negotiating compromises.

And I could care less about points and don't want to be a mod. But I would love to do something that would be of benefit to ATS as a whole, and I think this is important.

The idea of only the nominees getting to vote was originally my idea, although I originally proposed a slower time frame for it. My reasoning was that since the administration seemed determined not to participate in choosing a panel, or even in facilitating a general vote, this would be a way to make sure that all different viewpoints were represented among the voters and the numbers and practicalities would be manageable.

link   
reply to post by americandingbat

The more I think about this... the more I fear this may all come to naught but some bone thrown the memberships way in order to keep us all busily chewing on unimportant details while distracting us from the issue of ATS censorship.

That thought has been growing in the back of my mind all afternoon : /

link   
reply to post by darcon

Likewise and this is by no means personal, and that goes to anyone i may or may not have offended.

I just take issue with certain things and state my case and debate my point.

And to be honest.... I think I'll just see what happens now..

No point in arguing for the sake of it...everybody knows my points and judging by the responses the majority feel the same way...

Peace to all and good night

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Resinveins

I hope not, for that has deemed in my own mind as well.

For the sake of ATS i sincerely hope not.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Arrrgggghhh wanted to go to bed but i wholeheartedly AGREE 100% with you mate.

THAT is exactly the issue....

Right seriously....i will not get up if i don't go....it's 150am and I'm knackered

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Yes, it is not personal. Just views and personal opinion.

I am glad you have the class to at least be polite about it. We will indeed see wont we. I am sure the mods will review both sides of the spectrum.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   

The voting began this afternoon and will end tomorrow afternoon. I got in on the tail end of the discussion, but agreed that of all options, this was the best given the info we had from both sides and the time factor.

And, no, this is not the best way to handle it, I agree. But, SO said that the thread had been up for 24 hours and....well, people can read that for themselves.

All anyone is doing now is arguing in circles. All we can do, as members, is hope that whatever happens, the blanket ban does not stay in place.

We are members. We should work together with Admin to make this site what we want along with what they need.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Working together does not mean locking the majority of the members out of the vote.

Working together means, well.... working together. Collectively. As a team.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

Oh I hope you didn't think that was aimed at you

If you hadn't already been on the list when I showed up today, I would have nominated you myself...

But, not everyone who self-nominated is a good choice... some of them just think they are getting some sort of special status here on ATS by doing this...

There are a lot of suck ups and attention fiends on this board... I'm sure you'll agree...

I'm not having any problem with this whatsoever... I just think its yet another attempt to placate the membership... that will eventually result in naught...

I just voiced that because it is what I believe to be the point of view of the members who are having problems... Sometimes stating the argument from a 3rd person perspective helps understanding... sometimes not... but I figured i'd try :p

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I'm temporarily backing out of this thread until tomorrow. I think that the voting will go fine and no one will complain but obviously the nominees are not good enough for everyone and I will personally back down if the site continues to go up in arms against me and those who have worked their butts off trying to reach a compromise on the issue, again, not the voting factor.

We called for more guidance, we asked for staff intervention so we wouldn't have to be dealing with these attacks. We got the best that we could from the admin.

Clearly this is a personality contest and has nothing to do with the work put into the 78 pages of this thread. Because really we have gone round in circles about how to do the vote with not only the few of us on here bickering right now, but with MANY more members who have voiced their opinion, and I personally didn't want to vote like this, I wanted the administration to appoint a committee, and I don't care if I'm on it or not at this point because what's going on is just sick.

I'm voicing what I believed the majority wanted and what was decided and I was NOT supporting this idea when it was proposed and neither was Skeptic and so now we're taking the heat for it and I suppose I'd rather do that than decide on something else and have the other members come back like "oh what happened to our plan? I thought it was a great plan."

If the committee itself, once appointed, is going to have to keep dealing with this stuff I feel really, really bad for whoever ends up there.

Like clearly I'm just a stuck up attention fiend so I should withdraw.

[edit on 2/26/2009 by ravenshadow13]

link   

Originally posted by darcon

Yes, it is not personal. Just views and personal opinion.
I am glad you have the class to at least be polite about it. We will indeed see wont we. I am sure the mods will review both sides of the spectrum.

Yep classy that's me

But seriously it's cool.

I'm trying not to get personal and insulting but it does get heated and some things are said in the heat which are not needed and not meant.
This will not change my opinion of anyone on ATS....this is a fundamental issue that is separate from from the other posts and threads....

Hopefully this can and will be resolved.. but if this goes ahead as it is.... then most people on here will be pissed... i can tell you that for sure..

We need TIME to sort this out.

this new forum will NOT be implemented straigt away so why the rush to get it all done yesterday...

Just chill out.... take our time and pick the right people.... not the most vocal or eager.

that is all.

And let EVERYBODY vote....

These are my demands and i will release hostages for each on met :lol
Clearly joking!!!

link   

I agree with you.

And, this whole process has given me a migraine of epic proportions. Hopefully the committee will facilitate that working together. And, if it doesn't, it should be disbanded immediately.

This process is not the best. It is not the fairest. But, it is what we, as members, have to work with.

I wish all of us could have had the time and the means to be a bit more organized and inclusive, but it didn't turn out that way....for a variety of reasons.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Me and benevolent wanted the same thing, for the Staff to choose out of the nominations. S O made it clear that it was up to the members. So we discussed things for a long time, if you don't believe me, look back in this thread. We discussed how we would do this, with many routes we could have taken. Once S O made it clear, that current participating members should get a move on, then we decided on a route to take. The members that were there, all agreed it was the best route, so here we are, defending our standpoint.

We will see what tomorrow brings.

[edit on 26-2-2009 by darcon]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
Like clearly I'm just a stuck up attention fiend so I should withdraw.

LOL hope you don't think that was aimed at you either... I don't know who you are for the most part... and I am not in any sort of position to pass summary judgement of your character...

I do, however, know the tendencies and character of some of the other nominees... I will not be voicing who...

Maybe a compromise between the two camps could be reached, if you found some way for the general membership to "confirm" the electees... that way, there is a way for the general membership to pass yea or nay...

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Frankly, I too am not entirely comfortable with the apparent haste of this process.

I feel badly for anyone who feels cut out of the process.

Moreover, there were hints that this role may deal with other issues as well. In that context, that would make the speed of this selection process even more unfair, imo.

Perhaps we should rethink this.

Would the board really melt if this specific policy were left to stand a few additional days?

Just askin'

[edit on 26-2-2009 by loam]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by darcon

A bunch of us wanted Admin to choose, but they didn't.

That would have been the best way.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

here here.....

And with that i have to go to bed.... it's now 210am....

OMG.

Please...keep up the good fight guys

top topics

<< 75  76  77    79  80  81 >>

join