It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother sets fire to her daughter's gloating rapist

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Ridhya

I'm not defending the rapist. I'm defending society. We have rules to follow, and the ability to establish, enforce, and follow those rules is the only thing separating us from savages.

There are even rules that tell us how we should deal with those who break the rules. "Get mad and set them on fire" is not what the rules say to do. I understand that because the man was a rapist, we tend to think that he deserves to be set on fire. Maybe he does... but at this point in time, it's against the rules to do it.

And that's okay, because as a society, we even have rules that tell us how to change the rules. Do you think rapists should be burned? Start a movement. See if you can get support for a Constitutional Amendment calling for rapists to be burned. If you succeed, then you get to burn rapists. If you fail, it's because the society you live in disapproves of burning even the scummiest of scum.

At that point, you'd be free to seek out a society that will be more open to your ideas.

I think it's far more realistic to say that we should work to alter the rules in a way that prevents rapists from wandering the streets after conviction. Ever. I'd be perfectly okay with a law that allowed us to kill the sons of biiii-er-uhhh-mothers. Sons of mothers. :-)

However, unless they make such a law, we need to deal with them in the ways provided by the current law.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join