It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Flying the American Flag Inverted Is a Bad Idea

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Law enforcement? Are you kidding me?

If you guys love your country so much, you would care enough to show that it truely is in Distress!
I served, I swore, now I am fighting!

What would you suggest, a pirate flag?

The one's whom should be flying that is our Govt and our President, they are the one's stealing what was a great country.

I'll bet in less than a year you guys will change your tune. To bad it will be too late.
You would rather site on the side lines and make everything formal instead of getting your hands dirty.

What have you done?

I've been out pouding the streets, organizing, and making attempts to save our Constitution.

And I am not talking about saving our money or banking system either, they can flush that down the toliet as far as I am concerned.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by j2000

I take it you don't like the inverted flag lapel pin idea?

The current administration has disrespected every service member and family member who have lost loved ones in the war. Homeland Security has lost its purpose and meaning. The current administration and congress have turned their back on the Homeland and the Global War On Terror.

The war is not some kind of vague idea or politically incorrect term. I am proud of the Global War on Terror Expeditionary and Service medals I have earned.

What has happened would be akin to JFK at the height of the Cold War pretending that the Soviet Union is not a threat and ignoring Soviet missiles in Cuba.

If the administration and the congress do not change their course this will come back to haunt them.

To paraphrase General Tommy Franks: the civilian government will not survive another terror attack on the scale of 9-11.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I may be wrong but, surely you can only fly the american flag inverted when your in a 4G negative dive with a mig 28 at 2 metres

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Thank you so much for starting this thread.
When that *other* thread came out - for personal reasons - I was just not up to the fight at the moment to give my three thumbs down on the idea.
Then, when I went back to post - it has been closed (oh happy day)...

If a picture speaks a thousand words...

That’s why I wont fly the US flag upside-down.

Thanks again for your post, S&F.

peace

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I am a new member here but I must say that I have a problem with the opinion that flying a flag inverted is some how un-American and/or sensationalism. Yes it was initialy used as a distress signal for maritime operations. However it became a universal sign of distress over the years and especially as a "protest sign of distress" during the Vietnam Conflict.

I am a retired Marine and Vietnam Veteran. I am not offended by an inverted flag. The fact is, I will be flying my American Flag "upside down" with My Marine Corps flag right side up and my Christian Flag Center and above the other two.(I serve God First). I am making a Garden with flags and markers as a memorial to all veterans of all services . My son is currently active duty Marine Corps and will deploy to Afganistan in August. He likes the idea.

It is my opinion that our country is in more trouble than ever before. I believe that the current administration is the initial mechanism and the precursor to the fall of our Great Nation. Flying my flag inverted allows me to broadcast my contempt for the current administration to all those that pass my home. Additionally it allows me to express my views to those who are concerned enough to stop and ask "why" I do this.

Finally. This is America after all. I believe a land that has become a slave to the freedom of immorality. I will still defend my country because in doing so I defend its people as a whole and as a whole I still have faith in the American people but please do not ask me to have faith in the majority of government over past twenty years and especially the current administration.

Next time you see a flag at "Half Mast", ask yourself why it only flys for people that are "well known" or a major catastrophy that took many lives. Why is it not flown at "Half Mast" everyday a "soldier" gives his/her life? Is it because it would be up almost everyday? Is it because it would be to much trouble? My flag will fly at "Half Mast" until American military personnel are safe at home. i.e. probably until I die.

God Bless, Semper Fi, Angelo.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by hsrgt3

Next time you see a flag at "Half Mast", ask yourself why it only flys for people that are "well known" or a major catastrophy that took many lives. Why is it not flown at "Half Mast" everyday a "soldier" gives his/her life? Is it because it would be up almost everyday? Is it because it would be to much trouble? My flag will fly at "Half Mast" until American military personnel are safe at home. i.e. probably until I die.

They are flown at half-mast, in communities all around the nation, almost every day. Most communities honor their fallen servicemen with ceremonies.

You have every right to fly your own flag at half-mast for the reasons you stated. I would view your reason as valid. But to fly it upside down because you lost your job, as I have seen stated here, disrespects the flag, imo.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I agree with the OP, but I have a different take on why not. My reason for not doing it is that there will be unwanted attention coming your way if you do. I prefer to stay under the radar.
As a war vet, I can say that an upside down flag does not offend me. However, I think you are less than a genius if you advertise yourself.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Sorry to stoke an old thread.................

news.yahoo.com...

I can relate to both sides to this story, but my original opinion remains unchanged.

Regards...KK

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Americans and their flag fetish... it's pathetic.

Do you know what Einstein had to say about flags?

"Flags are a reminder of the fact that man is still a herd animal."

There is no other country in the world with that kind of a flag fetish. Oh no! someone's burning the flag! Or flying it upside down! What a TERRIBLE INSULT!"

Grow the hell up, the lot of you.

I remember when I was in the US I was talking to a guy who was remarking how the US had pretty much united the rest of the world against it. I said, yes, it's true. "We even have our own flag."

"Oh? What's it look like?"

"Like yours, but on fire."

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Europe

If someone is flying the chinese, or bolivian flags upside down, then it would be that countries responsibility, and it's citizens responsibility to correct the situation, and or debate over the proper way to display it. Let's not lose sight that we are in America and the topic is about the American Flag being displayed improperly.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
You can avoid any legality by not using a real American flag. Like I said in another thread, simply remove one star and one stripe from your flag, then do with it as you please. Who can object, since it wouldn't be a real official flag of the US, and most wouldn't even notice the difference!

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

What peril?????? Oh, you mean the kind where armed gurads burst into your house and take you loved ones out and torture them to death, and kill your children in front of you! Or is it they come and kill all your livestock so you can't sell them or provide for your family. If you don't like the U.S.A. then MMMMOOOOOVVVEEE to another country and live your life. Plenty of planes and busses that go to Honduras, Nicaragua, Mexico.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWelder

The men and women who faught and died in all our wars, lost loved ones, limbs, time with family, friends, blood, sweat, tears. You think they were never in distress during and after war!!!! Did they fly the flag upside down because the chips were down? Your post is meaningless!

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Thousands died in service to that flag.Thousands more carry wounds from service to that flag. How many WWI or WWII veterans do you think would appreciate the course this country has taken? Would they consider this country in distress,or would they feel that our government knows best? Has our government really defended our Constitution,or undermined it at every opportunity?
reply to post by daddyroo45

O.K., so maybe they won't think things are so great in the good ole' U.S. of A. but how may of those (TRUE) war veterans do you think would acutally fly the flag upside down??? How may people flew the flag upside down during the great depression???? Hmmmm? It was the whole country suffering back then, and much more than now. Did they fly the flag upside down, or did they DIG IN, and pull themselves out of it??? Yhea, that's what I thought!

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by j2000

There are hudreds of thousands of people in distress throughout this country! Hundreds if not thousands have lost their jobs, money, property. Do you see them flying their flags upside down??? No, because they have more respect for the national symbol that that! They get up the next day and job hunt. Cut corners where they have to, spend less, and try to save what they can. All you are doing by flying your flag upside down is telling everyone that you are in distress because of your current financial situation. Yhea, they'll look at it and say So, what! So am I.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Thank you for your image. It really reminds me of who I really am, and why I love my country. God Bless.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Why do people insist that flying the flag upside down will show that the country is in distress? Are you flying some huge country wide upside down flag? The symbol implies that there is a distressful situation THERE where the flag is. As a protest it is stupid symbolism.

If you care enough about the country to protest you don't do it by stepping on the country's symbols that we take pride in. You don't bash the men and women who have worked hard to make the country great. You protest against the people and institutions that screwed crap up. In other words if the financial industry had created the american flag then you could feel free to mess with it; since they didn't, knock it off.

Before you quote me your rights, I have the same rights, makes you no less a Jerk.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I think I ought also to interject that the flag is a method of thought control.

You tragic people are brougnt up with flag ceremonies from school onwards. No other country bothers with that rubbish. You have ludicrous and pathetic songs ("It's a Grand Old Flag" for crying out loud!) and just seeing it makes your hearts swell.

And the people at the top use that emotion to lead you around by the nose, puffing you up with all sorts of, well, LIES, let's face it, about how the good old USA brings democracy and peace to the world.

Fact. The US has roughly 5% of the world's population. It uses something like 50% of the world's resources. George Kennan, in a 1947 document, said, (I'm paraphrasing) "if we wish this to continue we must put aside romantic notions of self-determination for other nations."

That's the reality behind American foreign policy. That's why those people who haven't fallen for the Hollywood BS see that flag as a symbol of repression round the world.

But you folks in cloud cuckoo land dance around thinking you're the bee's knees and everyone else is just jealous. "They hate us for our freedoms". WRONG! America undermines governments and institutes death squads around the world.

John Negroponte was well known for putting together death squads in central America. He turned up in Iraq and a month or so later, death squad killings started, reported as being done by "people in police uniform".

Some Baghdad theatrical costumier must be doing a roaring business in police uniforms...

Coups, death squads, torture, subversion, repression: that's what the US flag means to the rest of the world.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by skyeyes
No, because they have more respect for the national symbol that that!

Translation: No, because the have more bigoted egotism for their gangs colors than that!

When you boil it all down, nations are nothing more that big gang turfs, and their citizens are just a bunch of gangstas. I dis all flags, all nations. There should be only one flag on this planet, and only one nation too. The fact it's the opposite only proves what pigheaded egotistical bigots humons are, and how they all can't get along. I wipe my ass with every nations inverted flag. One day, if humanity doesn't blow itself up in another war, they may unite into a society of one and look back in history and call all the people of this era a bunch of bigoted racist intolerant Neanderthals that would bomb the heads off innocent children just so they can invade another gangs turf and steal their natural resources. A patriot is a 5 star bigot! I say this whole planet is in distress, and everyone should be flying these offensive gangsta symbols of intolerance and turf control upside down and backwards! Humons aren't any better than some of the wild nasty animals that piss mark their territory and can't all get along together. Disgusting.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Flying the flag upside down is the highest form of patriotism.

< gulf war veteran and sailor

Those who would say otherwise simply don't understand the symbolism behind it.

I wouldn't try it in Texas though, those rednecks like to shoot first and ask questions later hahah.

god bless texas.

[edit on 12-7-2009 by mnemeth1]

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join