It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Flying the American Flag Inverted Is a Bad Idea

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Flying the flag upside down is not to protest, but to let the gov't know I am in distress. Perhaps you still have your job. I do not. Perhaps you still have money in the bank, I do not. It is not a symbol of protest..it IS a symbol of distress..and I am in distress.

TheWelder

*edit for missing word*

[edit on 25-2-2009 by TheWelder]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Exactly. It's lazy...and weak.

Flying the flag upside down is nothing more than a "look at me I'm different" form of protest.

It does nothing to express how you feel or what you're protesting.

I'd even go so far as to say it makes people pay less attention to you and your cause.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWelder

And I'm sure the government is noticing..

Perhaps your energies would be better used writing your elected officials or organizing PAC groups to make your voiced heard.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I hope you have written your representatives and your governor. It is your right to fly the flag as you wish, as it's your expression. No one is trying to stop you.
It's like burning the flag in my opinion. Using it to make a statement, when writing letters would do a lot better job.

Flag Code

The Flag Code states, "The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property." It is an unreasonable stretch to argue that the political purposes constitute "dire distress." We recommend that people who wish to express their political views find a way to do so that is respectful of the flag.

Plenty of people are without a job and money in the bank right now. But using the American flag to make that statement is kind of cryptic. I mean, if people see it, do you think their first thought is, "That poor guy lost his job"?

I'm sorry, but from out here, it looks like nothing but a cheap stunt.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

And I'm sure the government is noticing..

Perhaps your energies would be better used writing your elected officials or organizing PAC groups to make your voiced heard.

What if I HAVE already done that??
I think every little bit helps. No?

TheWelder

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Sure, but turning your flag around doesn't

Nobody has any clue what your purpose is, and most will see it as disrespectful.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   

I am not using it to make a political statement. I will be homeless at the end of the month. Am I not in dire distress? Do you think living on the street is not a situation where I will be in a life threatening situation?
That is the point, to make a statement. I am in distress.
When people see it and ask me why, and I explain my situation maybe someone will offer me help. Now, if I make no statement should I expect any help? Of course not.
I am making no statement of political distress, you are trying to put words in my mouth. My statement is simple with no political motivation whatsoever.

We will just have to agree to disagree, we are obviously coming from two different points of view.

TheWelder

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Maybe you should be trying to find a way to help yourself instead of flipping your flag and hoping someone else helps you.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

Maybe you should be trying to find a way to help yourself instead of flipping your flag and hoping someone else helps you.

Help was obviously not the word i should've used. Now seeing as you have NO CLUE who I am or what I have already done, or what I am doing for my situation. Your statement is extremely presumptuous. Maybe you should seek help for that?

TheWelder

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
A recent thread which was justifiably closed (kudos to WorldWatcher) sought to inspire people to show their displeasure with the US government by flying the American Flag upside down.

( I had waited my "self-imposed" 24 hour response time and recited the serenity prayer hundreds of times before I learned the thread got closed. The idea sent my moral compass due South and I respectfully disagree with the many of you who endorsed the idea.)

I am happy with that decision to close the thread and disagree with the premise of flying the flag upside down for the following reasons:

1. As an avid boater my entire life ( Native Floridian 50+ ) the upside-down flag depicts a universal signal representing life-threatening peril.

( That is why you don't file false police reports, make fake bomb threats, yell FIRE in a public building or shout May Day over a radio.)

2. You would only be offending the folks smart enough to understand it's meaning. Most likely active-duty or retired military.

(The rest of the other stupid morons will think you are actually dumber than they are.
"Hey, look at that idiot with the I BRAKE FOR UNICORNS bumper sticker. He is flying the flag upside down. What a mental midget.")

3. It dilutes the real essence of it's symbolism. ( If you want to express your opinion, try doing something worthwhile that requires burning double-digit calories / brain cells.
Organize a protest, start a blog, write your elected officials.)

I suspect many of you are flying OUR AMERICAN FLAG (probably Made In China)
on your Japanese-built piece of crap. But hey, you are different. Just like everybody else.

If I see one on your car, I might use "The Jaws of Life" to pop open your trunk in the belief that you are trapped inside.........oooops.

To paraphrase some obscure band, Don't Bash the Government, Be the Government.

Thanks for letting me rant. If I've offended anyone...........Good.

Regards...KK

[edit on 25-2-2009 by kinda kurious]

I agree, i saw the thread and it got under my skin.. I like the idea of something being visible so they can show the world that they don't like whats going on.
but what people have to stop and remember is thousands have died for that flag, out of respect for them, it should be flown proper, or not flown at all. Freedom is not Free. for those that don't believe it, just ask any soldier. That flag is more than a symbol, its what they put their life on the line for, that flag stands for much more than some stripes and stars on cloth.
Now more than ever people should be proud of the flag, hold it up high, times are coming when the average person understands what that flag stands for. Would they be ready to defend it at all cost?
Time will tell.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

When people see it and ask me why, and I explain my situation maybe someone will offer me help.

But that is the word you used.

It doesn't matter what you have done or are doing to improve your situation, turning your flag upside down in hopes some good samaritan will come along and save you is not the answer.

It's not a statement...it's a stunt.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by severdsoul

Originally posted by kinda kurious
A recent thread which was justifiably closed (kudos to WorldWatcher) sought to inspire people to show their displeasure with the US government by flying the American Flag upside down.

( I had waited my "self-imposed" 24 hour response time and recited the serenity prayer hundreds of times before I learned the thread got closed. The idea sent my moral compass due South and I respectfully disagree with the many of you who endorsed the idea.)

I am happy with that decision to close the thread and disagree with the premise of flying the flag upside down for the following reasons:

1. As an avid boater my entire life ( Native Floridian 50+ ) the upside-down flag depicts a universal signal representing life-threatening peril.

( That is why you don't file false police reports, make fake bomb threats, yell FIRE in a public building or shout May Day over a radio.)

2. You would only be offending the folks smart enough to understand it's meaning. Most likely active-duty or retired military.

(The rest of the other stupid morons will think you are actually dumber than they are.
"Hey, look at that idiot with the I BRAKE FOR UNICORNS bumper sticker. He is flying the flag upside down. What a mental midget.")

3. It dilutes the real essence of it's symbolism. ( If you want to express your opinion, try doing something worthwhile that requires burning double-digit calories / brain cells.
Organize a protest, start a blog, write your elected officials.)

I suspect many of you are flying OUR AMERICAN FLAG (probably Made In China)
on your Japanese-built piece of crap. But hey, you are different. Just like everybody else.

If I see one on your car, I might use "The Jaws of Life" to pop open your trunk in the belief that you are trapped inside.........oooops.

To paraphrase some obscure band, Don't Bash the Government, Be the Government.

Thanks for letting me rant. If I've offended anyone...........Good.

Regards...KK

[edit on 25-2-2009 by kinda kurious]

I agree, i saw the thread and it got under my skin.. I like the idea of something being visible so they can show the world that they don't like whats going on.
but what people have to stop and remember is thousands have died for that flag, out of respect for them, it should be flown proper, or not flown at all. Freedom is not Free. for those that don't believe it, just ask any soldier. That flag is more than a symbol, its what they put their life on the line for, that flag stands for much more than some stripes and stars on cloth.
Now more than ever people should be proud of the flag, hold it up high, times are coming when the average person understands what that flag stands for. Would they be ready to defend it at all cost?
Time will tell.

Thousands died in service to that flag.Thousands more carry wounds from service to that flag. How many WWI or WWII veterans do you think would appreciate the course this country has taken? Would they consider this country in distress,or would they feel that our government knows best? Has our government really defended our Constitution,or undermined it at every opportunity?

It looks like someone has their nationalism mixed up with their patriotism.

"All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing" I'll be the first to admit that inverting the flag isn't much,but it is a start.
Nay sayers are always among us. I'm almost positive there were nay sayers at the "Boston Tea Party"saying don't do that it will just make the King madder. Write your government officals? I do so on a weekly basis.I keep tabs on what is happening in my state and in our nation. That is the duty of a patriotic citizen.

I will fly my flag inverted.I will answer those that inquire.This country is in distress,I am in distress because of it.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I am glad I did not see the other post mentioned as I love the US. I do not approve of how it appears our country may be going. However, I have family in the services and an upside down flag means you need immediate help. If there were a time in our country where signs as this would be necessary (ie Hurricane Katrina or other large scale LIFE threatening disaster) our rescue crews would not appreciate checking out an abandoned house just because it had an upside down flag.

Here are my thoughts. Take it or leave it as it is. I acknowledge and agree that our country is going through hard times in many forms. However, just because we are in America does not mean that someone will always be there to wipe your tushie for you. Sometimes you have to fin for yourselves. It is not ideally what America wants or is about but it can and has happened. What makes America great is not what government can do for you, but what you are allowed to do for yourself. Sometimes you may have help. Other times help will not be available. America in general has seem to go towards a "pampers" approach to life. I see friends and relatives not qualify for certain help from the government while others get it at a time they do not need it or deserve it. This is not right. But the system allows for such moral crimes as it is not perfect. If something is broken, you either fix it or replace it. Not point at it and gripe about it being broken.

America is a country composed of people and as such is succeptable to illegal or controversial activities. I know this may come to a surprise to some of you but not all politicians are angels. Vote them out of office and replace them with someone who does hold up America's founding values and has the track record to back their convictions. Heck some of you may run for office. I'd vote for you as opposed to my congressman. He is crooked.

My whole point is where as your hardships are real, life goes on. With you or without you. What makes America great is not what the government does but what the people do.

I will proudly hang my American flag as high as I can hold it. The support goes to a part of America which has almost been forgotten or not realized by many because of a pampered lifestyle. It is the ideals our founding fathers built this country upon.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
You all missed KK's point.

Flying the flag inverted is a distress signal. This is the old-fashioned version of calling 911. It is like an S-O-S. It is for actual immediate emergencies like such as a boat sinking or a hostage situation, not for making general statements about the state of the union. It is a matter of practicality.

Do you thing we should protest the nation's problems by calling 911? That would be ridiculous, and so would be inverting the flag.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I will repeat and affirm.

Thousands died in service to that flag.Thousands more carry wounds from service to that flag. How many WWI or WWII veterans do you think would appreciate the course this country has taken? Would they consider this country in distress,or would they feel that our government knows best? Has our government really defended our Constitution,or undermined it at every opportunity?

It looks like someone has their nationalism mixed up with their patriotism.

"All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing" I'll be the first to admit that inverting the flag isn't much,but it is a start.
Nay sayers are always among us. I'm almost positive there were nay sayers at the "Boston Tea Party"saying don't do that it will just make the King madder. Write your government officals? I do so on a weekly basis.I keep tabs on what is happening in my state and in our nation. That is the duty of a patriotic citizen.

I will fly my flag inverted.I will answer those that inquire.This country is in distress,I am in distress because of it.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Everyone Please fly your flag in Distess!

If we all do this, maybe some people will wake up!

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Response from OP:

Look folks, I am just an Old-School American. I have a couple of holes in my socks and a little dirt under my fingernails. I love my country and attempted to defend her. I don’t pretend to be any more patriotic than any of my fellow citizens or posters. ( I simply attempted to make my case following forum rules.)

If you want to fly your flag inverted, go right ahead. That is your right in our great land. Will it bother me?......Sure. Can I prevent it?..........No. Go ahead and wear your underwear on the outside and speak with a fake British accent. Have a tea party. Violate rules of decorum.

Am I sarcastic?.........Duh.

Blame the government but don’t lose sight of who elected them.......we did.
Our little experiment with democracy is in it’s infancy and far from perfect.

Don’t confuse the source of your “distress” with the ills of Capitalism.
“Capitalism without failure is like religion without sin.” - Don’t recall author.

The positive responses from the likes of Benevolent Heritic, nyk537, Spaznational and
Amaxium and others are good enough for me as I respect their opinions.

Before this becomes another “the glass is half empty - half full”, “chicken or the egg” type argument, I will respectfully bow out. And now my mea culpa.

My elderly father was recently laid to rest with full military honors.
He was a retired Navy pilot / officer and his death was non-service related. At the end of the ceremony ( 21 Gun Salute, Bugalist taps, Full Honor Guard) , he was relieved of duty and saluted one last time, then my mother was presented with a folded American flag.

Our flag is a great source of pride to me and my entire family and I realize I am probably over-sensitive right now.

Without Wax...........KK ( Rick )

[edit on 26-2-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I have to agree with spaznational (and others) here...isn't flying the flag upside down a form for actual distress, not "emotional"? It's like shooting an emergency flare in the air because your team didn't win the Superbowl.

You may not like the direction the country is going (odd that many of you didn't do this during the last Administration though when the boat was heading full speed towards the iceberg), but when you fly the flag upside down you're going to get cops, firefighters, military, etc. knocking on your door and asking if you're okay, or little notes taped to the knob informing you of your egregious error and treatment of the American flag.

Why not start a movement that has you flying a flag with a red stop sign or something to symbolize you're fed up? Wouldn't that be more likely to get inquiries?

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Avenginggecko

Yes, as a metaphor, it's not for someone whose boat motor has quit, but for someone who's taking on water and about to drown.

[edit on 26-2-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Since the terror attacks of September 11, 2001 many Americans began wearing flag lapel pins to display their patriotism and show support of the nation in the Global War on Terror.

In this time of distress, where the new Secretary of Homeland Security pretends before Congress that the War on Terror doesn't exist and has apparently forgotten why Homeland Security was created in the first place, one idea that occured to me was the wear of the flag pins.

Personally it seems like a better idea than flying an inverted flag, which could be mistaken by law enforcement or emergency services.

A pin on the other hand is a much more personal display.

I'm not saying people should or should not do it.

I'm presenting the idea for discussion.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join