It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Flying the American Flag Inverted Is a Bad Idea

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
A recent thread which was justifiably closed (kudos to WorldWatcher) sought to inspire people to show their displeasure with the US government by flying the American Flag upside down.

( I had waited my "self-imposed" 24 hour response time and recited the serenity prayer hundreds of times before I learned the thread got closed. The idea sent my moral compass due South and I respectfully disagree with the many of you who endorsed the idea.)

I am happy with that decision to close the thread and disagree with the premise of flying the flag upside down for the following reasons:

1. As an avid boater my entire life ( Native Floridian 50+ ) the upside-down flag depicts a universal signal representing life-threatening peril.

( That is why you don't file false police reports, make fake bomb threats, yell FIRE in a public building or shout May Day over a radio.)

2. You would only be offending the folks smart enough to understand it's meaning. Most likely active-duty or retired military.

(The rest of the other stupid morons will think you are actually dumber than they are.
"Hey, look at that idiot with the I BRAKE FOR UNICORNS bumper sticker. He is flying the flag upside down. What a mental midget.")

3. It dilutes the real essence of it's symbolism. ( If you want to express your opinion, try doing something worthwhile that requires burning double-digit calories / brain cells.
Organize a protest, start a blog, write your elected officials.)

I suspect many of you are flying OUR AMERICAN FLAG (probably Made In China)
on your Japanese-built piece of crap. But hey, you are different. Just like everybody else.

If I see one on your car, I might use "The Jaws of Life" to pop open your trunk in the belief that you are trapped inside.........oooops.

To paraphrase some obscure band, Don't Bash the Government, Be the Government.

Thanks for letting me rant. If I've offended anyone...........Good.

Regards...KK

[edit on 25-2-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
There was a thread telling people to fly a flag upside down and it was closed for that reason?
Is it because its an american flag or would the thread have been closed if it was a chinese flag or the bolivian flag or any other countries flag?
Would it be ok to have a thread on flying a flag at half mast?
who authored this thread if you dont mind me asking.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Europe

It was closed for violating Terms & Conditions which prohibits "Solicitation".

It isn't too hard to find...........Sorry, I should have posted link.

( Warning: Requires reading and comprehension skills)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I suppose you can fly your flag however you want but in answer to your question,
Flying the Flag at half-mast ( in America ) generally depicts the death of a note-worthy patriot or as a symbol of mourning after a tragedy.

Regards....KK

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious

. . .

1. As an avid boater my entire life ( Native Floridian 50+ ) the upside-down flag depicts a universal signal representing life-threatening peril.

Our country is in a state of life threatening peril . . . hard to get that?

2. You would only be offending the folks smart enough to understand it's meaning. Most likely active-duty or retired military.

(The rest of the other stupid morons will think you are actually dumber than they are.
"Hey, look at that idiot with the I BRAKE FOR UNICORNS bumper sticker. He is flying the flag upside down. What a mental midget.")

It opens up the chance for you to open people's eyes to what is REALLY going on . . .

3. It dilutes the real essence of it's symbolism. ( If you want to express your opinion, try doing something worthwhile that requires burning double-digit calories / brain cells.
Organize a protest, start a blog, write your elected officials.)

No . . . it works perfectly . . . although I do agree that something else needs to be done. But do it while the flag is upside down.

I suspect many of you are flying OUR AMERICAN FLAG (probably Made In China)
on your Japanese-built piece of crap. But hey, you are different. Just like everybody else.

If I see one on your car, I might use "The Jaws of Life" to pop open your trunk in the belief that you are trapped inside.........oooops.

To paraphrase some obscure band, Don't Bash the Government, Be the Government.

Thanks for letting me rant. If I've offended anyone...........Good.

Regards...KK

the rest was just mindless ranting

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   

So what's your point? US is a life threatening peril to other countries. Soon it will be the same for their own citizens.

No offense, but please get your hands off Iran

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Reply to xxpigxx:

Let me guess. How many inverted flags on your Toyota?

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness"

Regards......KK

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Reply to xxpigxx:

Let me guess. How many inverted flags on your Toyota?

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness"

Regards......KK

I own a Ford . . . and have no flags on it

Way to generalize and stereotype.

[edit on 25/2/2009 by xxpigxx]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I'm laying my bets as you all speak...how long before a yield sign/stop sign/move along sign magically appears in this thread...any takers?

I'm all for freedom of Speech, but, fear this topic will just "stir the pot"...nothing will be accomplished/proven/settled...it is as/what it is...

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Reply to xxpigxx:

Thanks for the compliment. I think.

I'd love to continue this exchange but will cease as I detest the taste of pork.

Regards...KK

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

I'm Kurious myself. At what point KK, do you personally feel that it is time to make such a bold statement about our condition as a country?
Flying our Flag upside down in my opinion screams out to everyone "Our country is dying, Wakeup and Help." Some folks need to have their pride and honor tested, they need to be mentally slapped around till a big WTF hits em in the face. On the other hand maybe you're right, now is not the time. Atleast not yet...

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
When I was a kid, the school janitor put the flag up upside down by mistake one morning.

Later that morning we got a suprise visit by the police to make sure everything was alright.

Just sayin'.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Wow. Someone missed the point of the other topic entirely.

So the other topic was justifiably closed down because it was solicitation? Hmmm...since when is bouncing ideas around with enthusiasm around here solicitation?

If I were a mod, I'd more likely tone down the "soiliciatory" tone of the other topic and allow it to continue with some the real open and honest discussion rather than allow this topic, which insults, belittles, pigeonholes, demeans, and teams with far more ignorance than the other to remain open.

The point that this is disrespectful to the military or veterans or anyone else is merely your opinion.

Flying the U.S. flag upside down is an official sign of distress or imminent danger. It is not disrespectful. It is not unpatriotic. It is not a slam against the country. Quite the opposite in fact. We are a country in distress, and we have been for many years. And anything that brings more awareness to this and stimulates discussion and awareness is a good thing in my book. Unlike this topic.

Also, why is this under the category Breaking News?

[edit on 25-2-2009 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I understand the topic and the reasons the OP has posted. But since an upside down flag is already known as a symbol of distress I think it wouldn't get the point across without someone(s) having to explain the other meaning of the signal. Just my opinion.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
so everything is fine in america then? theres no huge defecit, no huge fall in stock market, no huge amounts of mexicans/drug cartel spilling into our border, no americans losing jobs??? i guess this is all made up

[edit on 25-2-2009 by Swatman]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Having an upside down american flag where it is visible to everyone is a sure way to attract unwanted attention. I speak from experience.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

That's the point I was trying to make. How is anyone to know what the other reasons are?

Your current "upside down" flags are the economic crisis. Foreclosure, bailouts, etc. If the general public is too blind to see these obvious signs I don't believe flying a flag upside down will change anyone's minds. Just my opinion.

[edit on 25-2-2009 by griffinrl]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
We, (Americans), have every constitutional right to fly our Flag in any way we seem fit.

I agree there needs to be respect, however it's becoming more difficult to respect those in office who are clearly tearing this Country apart.

Should a Citizen choose to fly the Flag upside down, because he is distressed, then so be it. There are NO laws currently on the books that can prevent him.

There are laws (local ordinances) that can determine the size, the placement, the length of the pole, whether it is an obstruction of traffic, etc.

Should you choose to fly your Flag upside down, be ready for retaliation. You will be harrassed. You will probably have it stolen. The cops will probably show up and threaten to ticket you.

All you need is to be ready to off them a little education, and be ready to stand up for what you think is right.

Our laws, clearly written, only 'suggest' how the Flag is to be flown, and only in rare instances are there requirements.

I'm no Attorney, but in a Court of Law, you will be successful if you have to fight over the words "SHOULD" and "SHALL".

USC 4, Chapter 1, Sec 8:

frwebgate.access.gpo.gov...$$xa$$busc4.wais&start=53859&SIZE=3841&TYPE=TEXT

However, many States, have passed subsequent laws that do afford some protection to the Flag. Some have been tested in the Supreme Court and have lost.

www.firstamendmentcenter.org...

Although I agree with the whole concept, and will most likely do the same, it is a personal choice and right to fly your Flag as you wish.

But just in case, you should consult with your City Attorney's office for an opinion, and go from there.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
To the OP
I just read the USCG approved symbols for distress. Flying the US flag upside down is NOT USCG approved. May I suggest you read those rules again?

It is covered by the US flag regulations, and it says is for times of distress, nowhere does it say anything about "life threatening"

Now, if there is an upside down flag on my car, and I am locked in the trunk. How did I turn that sticker over to let people know I am locked in the trunk?

TheWelder

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Lets not encourage showing weakness. Its no secret that the whole world is suffering financially, but that is no reason to put a flag upside down. I was very disturbed by the original thread www.abovetopsecret.com... and was glad to see it was locked. You want to make a statement, get a sticker that says "no bailouts", or "I don't like government" whatever, then there would not be any mis-interpretation of intentions. When I first read that opening post I couldn't help but think of when spanish students in California flew an upside down flag under the Mexican flag cjlewis.newsvine.com... around the same time there were many protests over immigrantion reform...I have no links or proof, but I recal rumors then that the upside down flag was going to be a sign for Mexican rebellion in the US...hmm Texas anyone... (please don't take this as hate, immigrants are good, my great grandparents were immigrants, even changed their last name when they became citizens to be more American, I see the difference betwene legal and illeagal...)

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

I loved your post. And I agree with your reasons. But my biggest reason is that flying the flag upside down is USING the American Flag to protest the government. That is highly unpatriotic in my opinion.

If you want to protest the government, there are any number of ways. As Xcouncil=wisdom said, get a sticker or form a peaceful protest or do something positive about the situation. But to use the flag as your own personal form of protest is, in my opinion, a lazy and weak way to make a statement.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join