It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange bird found in Mexico

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Rather than being a descendant of dinosaurs, maybe it is an adaptation. The photos look like an excellent camouflage, and the mouth may allow eating of larger items, such as other bird eggs.

Similarities may not mean descendants. They may also mean similar adaptations. I think we jump on things too fast. For example, my dog and my horse like their butts scratched. Both eat with their heads down near the surface. Both remove flies with their teeth. Both run when scared. Both make sounds when happy or upset.

My parakeet lowers his wing and scratches his neck over his wing with his foot. My dog does the same thing. So does my cat.

When my horse gets mad, his ears go back. So does my dog. So does my cat.

When my dog gets mad, his fur goes up on his back. So does my cat. I think I get some of that, too.

Adaptations, not common ancestors. You use what you've got to survive the best way you can.

Personally, I think they have a common designer, not a common ancestor. What do you think?

[edit on 22-2-2009 by Jim Scott]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoolBlackHole

Originally posted by lee anoma on page 4:
"As stated it IS a bird, not a reptile. Mouth is exactly the same.

Don't you really see the difference between the 3 pictures above and this one:

Hi CBH,

Not by much no. The pics I posted are similar in structure, although they are just to show that bird-like structure, they aren't Frogmouth chicks.

You should also keep in mind that the video is not of the best quality and very blurred. You can barely see much of the bird at times and it took me a while to realize what the person was holding.

The way these type of birds mouths are shaped, when they open them you see more mouth than beak. If filmed or photographed at certain angles you may not see a beak at all, just a gaping mouth.

The mouth looks like the one in the video to me.

Here are two more recently discovered relatives of the Frogmouth.

Scientists discover new genus of frogmouth bird in Solomon Islands
www.physorg.com

Since you can't really see their eyes, should we assume they have none?

You claim it to possibly be some sort of hybrid reptilian bird, but that conclusion is based on a grainy video, in another language, and with zero proof or examples of other existing reptilian birds currently in nature. You are merely "guessing" with no literal example of comparison other than imagination.

It's a blurry video.
The reporters are clueless.
The villagers think they caught a witch.

It's just a type of Frogmouth.

You're playing a guessing game against the facts and common sense, and far be it from me to stop you. No need to continue with the "maybe it's a..." for me.

Now all we need to do is set up this news crew, some ATS members, and the villagers with a few hours of Animal Planet, or the Discovery Channel before someone gets hurt during the next supernatural discovery that turns out to be common.

Hey, it's happened!

I'm closing the case for myself.
Enjoy and good day.

- Lee

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I agree, the video is terribly blurry, but it's definitely a bird and specifically either a nighthawk/nightjar/goatsucker/chupacabra/tapacamino or a frogmouth/potoo: Northern Potoo, Whip-poor-will, Chuck-will's-widow, etc.

I'm not sure locals thinking it was a witch is any more ridiculous than posters on this site who thought it was a reptile. I'm just glad they didn't kill it, like most rural folks in Mexico do to every owl they find because they believe when an owl calls a person will die.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
I'm not sure locals thinking it was a witch is any more ridiculous than posters on this site who thought it was a reptile. I'm just glad they didn't kill it, like most rural folks in Mexico do to every owl they find because they believe when an owl calls a person will die.

Just to clarify a bit on why some local people is talking about witches in the video, a few years ago in this same city people reported strange sightings of an object flying above the mountains with a shape who remind them of a witch, then a video showed up in the news, was discussed in these ATS threads:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This subtitled video summarizes the whole case, including testimonies from a couple of policemen who saw the witch/creature in separated events:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
The bird's neck he has his hand on appears to be much longer and thicker than it probably should be for the mentioned birds. I suppose it could also be a bird that eats fish. I hadn't seen any familiar pictures though.

If there's some better news piece on this, let's have it. The one part of the video that shows the bird over some white board or rug seems suspicious also. Where's the view of the bird's whole head and body? All I've seen is the front of it's neck so far. Maybe it is real, but this still doesn't pass the test without a professional who's familar with the same exact species.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I was just passing by but, and maybe I missed something, everyone seems really hung up on whether its a nighthawk or something else, in the video, but, am I the only one that noticed that the description tendered buy the witnesses was of a large bird with a very long beak. This bird in the video was found later and then passed off as the mystery bird. There is not even a slight resemblance between the witness description of what they saw and this little nighthawk - so maybe there is a conspiracy after all?

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoolBlackHole
Hmmm, truly interesting. But, ever heard about "the will-to-deny"? "... Their want to find confirmation of their denegation is so strong they will cling to anything, despite all evidence to the contrary.”

There is no need to change the wording. Both ways describe a want to believe at the expense of the evidence.

But, whether it is a will-to-believe or a will-to-deny, what you have done is describe yourself in this case. That is what you are doing.

[edit on 23-2-2009 by SaviorComplex]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrashGecko
Also if you believe in the Bible it does talk about dinosaurs. It is called Leviathan.

Leviathan was a sea creature. Feared by every fish except for Kilbit, the parasite. I think you should reread your Bible.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
That is NOT a Nighthawk!!!

How could u even compare a nighthawk to that creature?

It has a reptilian head, the eyes are reptilian even!

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
iTS NOT A NIGHTHAWK.

Its clearly another kind of bird. Its pretty strange, it looks like a little dragon to me.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The tail fan and wings are very wide,(front to back) compared to the Common Nighthawk,
and it looks like it has no beak.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy
The tail fan and wings are very wide,(front to back) compared to the Common Nighthawk,
and it looks like it has no beak.

I must say I'm amazed at how long this thread is, as soon as I watched the video I knew it was of the Frogmouth or related family. This is a bird that flies at dusk and the huge mouth is to capture insects. A very cool animal but not any stranger then say a Penguin or if you want a bird that still has clawed fingers, check out the Hoatzin.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Look like a baby eagle or something like that. Ive sent it to a bird Expert I know, will reply after he´s seen it and commented.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
lol
oh you crazy Mexicans and your new species schemes!

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Ok, let’s give a short synopsis of this thread. Many of the posters seem to come to the conclusion that this is a BIRD’s head... , with a beak... Hmmmm……

Stills from the video on page 1:

[edit on 24-2-2009 by CoolBlackHole]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Another freaky pic of a Frogmouth/Whipperwill/Chotocabra/Nightjar/Nighthawk.

Don't know if the 'fangs' are a split beak,taxidermy implants,matted feathery tufts or completely photoshopped but its an interesting pic anyway.

Cheers

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join