It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Idol 2009

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by MinMin

Tatiana does have a great singing voice, and of the nine who are left, I think she has the best voice. She needs practice to train it, but she can hit both the high notes and the low notes. I didn't see what all the fuss was about Anoop (or however he spells his name) as he his singing seemed to be generic.

The biggest problem for the nine is that there are 24 singers who saw their sub par performances and may give them a run for their money. There will be 27 vying for three slots, so some of the lesser known singers will bring out all the stops to get one of those coveted slots. I don't think any slots are guaranteed for any of the groups, so one group of twelve could conceivably get all three of the slots available.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
That's probably right...i.e. just 3 out of 27, not one per group.
I still think that if we saw a story on 'em, they'll be in the final group.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

It does seem to be a good indication. They waste little time marketing individuals that don't make it through or even those that do that they don't think will carry far. I think there are a few in the top 36 that have had but a few seconds of actual air time. Odds are really stacked against them as they are an unknown, whereas guys like Danny Gokey have had plenty of air time and are already a recognizable face.

Jason Castro's (top 10 from last year) brother was on the show and went through to Hollywood. He had no air-time after his audition though and I kept saying that he won't go through, even though he was really talented. A recognizable name who was one of the last cut and received absolutely no air time.

People behind the show have a bit more pull than meets the eye.

When you hit the top 12, it's fairly even across the board and America votes. But up until then, Fox shows you what they want.

This year they are supposed to be showing more behind the scenes stuff and chopping a bit of reality television into it. So maybe even more than ever it will be less of a singing competition and more of a popularity contest.. also with Fox editing the behind the scenes stuff, they can make who they want to look good.

All spells success for a guy like Danny Gokey.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

It seems that the judges will pick up to 12 people and choose 3 from those names. The people may also be contestants who did not make it into the top 36. From what Simon Cowell indicates, it looks like the nine contestants left over from last week's show will have a lot of difficulty making the cut. The judges were not impressed with the performances. It will be interesting to see what happens tonight.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I can't imagine them pulling the whole "wild card show" from the next 24.

Anoop definitely deserves a shot and will be in the top-12, in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Last night's show was another mixed bag. I think Alison had the best overall performance, with Adam doing the best for the men. They are shoe ins for spots, although some of the others may sneak in. Chris has a strong chance to make it in, as he was popular and did OK. I really hope the final singers take charge and see the openings available for them, as the first four singers were very forgettable. Two of the singers who will probably not make it were favorites of the judges. They may get chances for the three wild card slots. They didn't impress me, as I don't even know their names or care at this point.*

Again, an opportunity by some singers went unmet. It will be an interesting results show.

*I did not watch the auditions or Hollywood Week, but started from the voting shows. I do not know how well people did or did not do, and am looking at them from their first real performances in front of a voting audience.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I loved Alison and Adam. Also three other girls. Mishavanna. And I can't remember the other two. Long blond hair and the "mom". It was definitely a night for the girls.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

They may still pick a few from last weeks show considering many of the singers also performed from poor to OK last night. Very few real standouts will probably have the judges pulling people who were not part of the original 36. Anoop and all of them are given their first real chance to show what they can do, and most are giving us karaoke style performances. They need to grab us by the horns and keep us interested. I remember the names of the ones I like, and last night I remember Adam, Alison, and Chris. That is not saying much for the other performers. They need to step up to that plate and either hit a home run, or at least get a base hit.

Will people by their albums? That is a question all the contestants must ask themselves. Some may be liked before performing, but ultimately the major numbers will be how many records they sell.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Song Choice, song choice, song choice :bnghd:

Nick "CRAP" gone at last,,, what a waste is all i can say about that

Alison and Adam were the big stand outs for me as well and agree a shoe in.

Something about Adam emmm dare i say "Dark Horse"

Misha,Kai,Megan,Jesse, were my other stand outs.

The rest blew it imho :-(

It was a interesting night i feel that some of them totally blew it and probably blew their chances of becoming the next American Idol.

cant wait for tonight

And thanks for starting the thread i love American and Australian Idols and watch religiously every year much to the chagrin of my wife

Anyway looking forward to adding to the thread as the season progresses.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I'm 6 for 6 so far in picking the 3 from each episode that go through.

I assumed Allison and Adam were going to sail through and I was really, really pulling for Kris Allen. Glad to see him go through. A more reserved Michael Johns?

Idol's new approach to forming the top 12 seems to be working perfectly. And I believe a large component of their plot is to be "dud-free" and off-set certain individuals such as Vote for the Worst that have covertly plagued them for seasons.

[edit on 2-26-2009 by chissler]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I wanted to see Megan make it, but still a wild card shot....other than that, was glad to see Adam get it...looks like an Anime character, lol...

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Was Meghan the blond with the tattoo sleeve on her arm?

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Yep, nice eyes, and a real commercial look to her... She'll do good with or without getting further on the show...

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I hated her performance when I watched it live. But as I watched the playback a few times and as the show replayed the clips, I began to like it more and more. I don't think she was in the three best, but she's definitely worth considering for a wild card.

There are three or four right now that I'd like to see be given the show in the wild card. Looking at next weeks contestants, I'm not instilled with much to look forward to. The contestant who is blind is on next week and is extremely talented. I'm looking forward to see how he does.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I was really pleased with Adam and Alison. Kris surprised me, though. I thought the third would be one of the girls. Megan, Jessie or Misha. I liked them all. Too bad there's only 3 wild card spots.

Someone said this method of picking will eliminate the duds? I think you're right. The six so far are pretty good. I'm not crazy about Kris or Michael, but the rest are tops.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Really on Kris?

He comes across as such a likable guy. I think he has a voice with a huge range but can also carry the melody on quicker songs, as he did this week with Man in the Mirror. It's tough to do and we see a lot of contestants fall behind on the song and can't keep up. He kept up and was really hitting the notes.

I wonder if being paired with Adam this week took away from him. A guy like he is someone that my girlfriend would really get behind. But she was so-so on him and was more for Adam.

Girls going for the bad-guy who wears make up and tight pants, rather than the wholesome, good guy who you can take home to your parents?

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Girls going for the bad-guy who wears make up and tight pants, rather than the wholesome, good guy who you can take home to your parents?

Isn't that the way it is? Adam is a little hottie, no doubt, but I'm basing my opinion of him on what I heard of him during the previous weeks. I wasn't crazy about the Stones song he sang.

Kris is fine, but kind of white-bread, you know. His voice is really good, but from what I've heard, it's not spectacular, like Adam's.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I'm really looking forward to hear Adam sing some classic rock by bands who had a lead guy with a higher pitched voice. A Jagger song sung in a higher pitch didn't sit well with me last night. I liked it, but a Motley Crue or AC/DC (Bon Scott) song would fit him perfectly.

The guy has a crazy voice, I'd just like to see him pick some songs that mesh better with his pitch.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
I end up watching this with my girlfriend frequently, and I'll step out early and say that I think Danny Gokey is by far the most talented singer on the show. I doubt he'll win because the most talented rarely does, but this guy has a career in front of him.

I agree he is my fav so far. He also reminds me of Robert Downey Jr.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by DDay
He also reminds me of Robert Downey Jr.

That's who it is! I was trying to figure why he looks so familiar!

He's really good.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join