It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Idol 2009

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

Sanjay also had a great voice, but didn't seem to care. It looked like he was a lock for the top three for a while. I hope Anoop gets down to business, because the competion is tougher this time around.

If Anoop wasn't able to sing, he would not of made it this far. I have noticed many of the contestants become lazy after they make it to the top 12. They know they will get votes based on looks and little girl appeal, but that seems to have gone to the wayside. David A lost because the little girls didn't vote, and Jorge went home for the same reason. If Anoop wants to stay, he has to appeal to the older population that is still watching the show. The loss of five million viewers seems to have been mostly little girls. That in itself is a good thing, as the better singers will have a chance.

Next week, he has to do good, as it will probably be a boy going home. With only four girls, seven boys will be splitting a lot of votes.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Having watched the show for many seasons, I've always felt that each candidate had a core fan base that voted for them no matter what. Home towns, family, friends and certain people that just vote based on their look and/or sound. But I really feel that large number of the votes casted each week are for the best singers that week.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I also think that most older voters only vote once, while the teeny boppers vote the maximum number. I think that may be changing, and with the show's ratings dropping over ten percent, the voting pattern also changes. It is difficult to know who will be voted on or off this time around, and I hope you are right that the ones who are voting for the singers and not the "cute" ones.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
They had featured country music last night and the show was reasonable enjoyable. Anoop actually was very good, and showed he was serious in the competition. He did get very snarky about expecting the judges comments. People tend to like humility in their contestants, and that may have hurt him a bit. Matt is a sleeper star, and he might be in the top four (unless reports of the top four being prepared in advance are true). Scott sounded the same as always, and it seems the judges have noticed that. Megan was sick, so she might get enough sympathy vote to stick around. Allison is one of my favorites, but from what I am reading, she is not to popular. I would figure being the only rocker would help her. Maybe the articles are wrong, as Fox does not release vote totals, so we don't know who is doing what.

It is hard to say who will leave tonight, as all the singers need to be in the top ten if they want to tour. I am guessing the Michael, Scott and Megan might have some trouble as the singers were much better than this night usually produces.

I really liked Adam's take on Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire". Mr Cash would have loved that version, as any fans of his American Recordings set would realize. Mr Cash was kicked out of the Grand Ole Opry, and was treated like s#$% by country music in general. His covers of many of the alternate rock songs are both legendary and classic.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Alexis was sent packing.... I'm kind of surprised actually...

My wife and I typically see the tour in concert (more her thing), but not sure if I'd be too hyped to see this group of ten... of course, wasn't hyped about the last group either, hehe....but it's my wife's thing...

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Two years ago, the tour didn't do that well with many concerts selling half the seats instead of selling out. I like the variety of singers, and think they should do quite well as people get to know them. The quality of the top ten is much better than it has been in a long time, thanks to the newer way of picking the top 12. I would think you would want to see Anoop Dogg and Adam put on a very entertaining show.

I am also surprised (but not shocked) that Alexis was sent packing. It is interesting that Randy called her Allison, and that may be the problem with the women. The men are getting a lot of attention, and the women seem to be trying to find themselves. I like Allison a lot, but she will probably be the next to go (or Michael). It is hard to tell who is voting, but I do think Megan will benefit with the departure of Alexis. She needs to knock one out of the ballpark next week if she expects to stick around for the top four.

I also thought the judges might use their save, but it is still early and they may want to use it for Matt or Kris later on.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Any love for Kris Allen yet? This guy has become a favorite.

I still think it's a head to head showdown between Danny & Adam, much as it was David vs. David last year. But I think Kris could squeak into the mix with more performances like last night.

Lil Rounds is beginning to wear thin with me. She's outright insulted when the judges don't fall to their knees in front of her and tries to talk over the top of them. She's talented.. but with each passing week I think she's becoming less and less marketable.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Lil Rounds' style is dime a dozen....former choir girls with big voices singing big songs. Sure, they can sing...but it isn't all that interesting.

I think you're right about Megan... Of course, I disagreed with the judges, and didn't think she did that great from what I heard.

I hardly watch the performances though, usually just hear them while the wife watches...

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

And as much as this is perceived as a "singing" competition, it's much more. It wasn't a secret that Kris Allen could sing, but this week he proved that he is a marketable artist, in my opinion. And I think Simon saw it too, considering his praise for Kris.

The only people in the top 10 that I see as actually marketable artists are..

Danny, Adam, Kris and possibly Matt.

Meghan and her quirkiness have potential. Allison is certainly someone who has potential as she develops a little more and matures. I think she's coming across as a little arrogant at times, which she'll need to find the right balance.

Marketability isn't an easy thing to come by. Unfortunately you either have it or you don't, and even though we have 10 great singers in the top 10, we don't have 10 artists that can be sold.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I do agree about Lil. I like her singing voice, but she was OK last week. She could be vulnerable if she doesn't step it up. Of the girls, Allison is the freshest, and has a great bluesy voice for a 16 year old. It does seem like Lil, Anoop and Megan are a little too smug about the judges comments, and people don't like smart @sses.

It will be interesting to see who gets voted off next week. I will guess Michael or Scott, unless they can knock one out of the ballpark.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Last night the singers had Motown as their subject, and most did very well. Adam was unrecognizable, and is the one major artist of the group. No matter what happens on the show, he will be the most successful. Matt, Kris and Anoop are putting their game on, as they are looking to be in the top four. Danny sounds the same every week, and although he is good, he may start to bore people. Lil shouted her song last night, and I don't think she will be in the top four. Lil's performance was a shame, because last nights topic should of been hers. Allison was great, but she does not seem to have a big fan base. She will probably make it to the top six.

Scott sounded bad last night. His piano even started out off tune. Again, he has yet to wow me, and after last night I wonder why the judges have love for him. It did look like Scott was going to cry after Simon actually criticized him.
Megan was terrible, and Michael managed to be worse than Megan. Michael needed a good song after last week's mediocre performance of a country song, which should of been his night.

The bottom three should be: Scott, Megan and Michael, with Michael going home. I don't see the fans staying behind those three, and they seem to be in danger.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I had Michael, Meghan and Scott pegged for the bottom 3. Shocked that Matt Giraud was left in danger of going home. I think him opening the night may have contributed to that. Scott was pretty weak this week, but he'll go through another week or two.

As much as I like Adam and Danny, Kris is by far my favorite. If all 3 released an album today, he's the first one I would buy.

Extremely talented, a relevant artist, amazing vocals and an obvious sense of genuineness that most artists are missing. Adam is damn talented, but it's the swagger that he carries himself with that somewhat puts me off. He's really trying to impress more so than just deliver good music. With Kris, I really get the impression he's more concerned with delivering what he considers to be good music than impressing people.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I think Kris is going to be in the Top Four. He is growing as an artist, and getting better with every performance. I think Adam is the most artistic and willing to take chances, especially with his take of "Ring of Fire". I think many voters don't know the name Matt, and keep thinking of Justin Timberlake. I also think that Kris is taking votes from Matt, as they are the "cute" ones. Most of the younger voters vote on looks and not talent. That is a shame, because Matt deserves better than to be based on his looks. That is also why Megan is doing so well. The boys like her, and she is the only cute girl on the show. (Don't get me wrong, I love Allison. She is a rocker, not a glamor girl.)

I don't see Scott lasting very long, unless he gets the Michael vote. Michael was a safe performer, and so is Scott. I don't think the record producers would want Scott to win. Just like Taylor Hicks, Scott won't sell any records.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I was shocked Matt was in the bottom 3. I always enjoy his performances.

Meghan was terrible. Lil is another bore .... and too high on herself, which is a put off.

I loved Adam's Ring of fire last week. Not so keen on the Desi Arnez Jr look he had this week ....
Kris, Matt, Adam and Danny are my favorites so far. I like Allyson too.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I am completely annoyed with Little. (She hates when the judges call her anything other than Lil)

Anytime the judges offer anything other than absolute praise, she looks genuinely annoyed as if she's above them. She got the banging voice and hits some notes that others can not. But it's been done before. She's not anymore talented than Melinda Dolittle, who was a much more likable person. And how did she fair?

Meghan is flat out gorgeous. Just a natural beautiful girl with a quirk that really resonates to the audience. Her performance this week was mixed. The beginning was terrible. Worse than anyone this week. I actually thought to myself, "how the hell did she make it this far?" But the latter part of her performance was really good. Her talent began to shine through. Just wasn't enough to convince the judges that the performance overall was good enough.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Megan needs a breakout performance just like Scott. Both of them have yet to prove why they made it into the top 13. Megan is benefiting from Alexis' vote, and Scott may benefit from Michael departing. I hope they do better, or get voted off so the others can continue.

I agree with Lil, she has an attitude that I do not like. As the only black performer, she will stay for a while. She does seem to get on the nerves of people, and the voters may abandon her for Allyson (or is it spelled Allison?), who actually has been getting better.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Lil thinks of herself as a 'Diva', like she's already won and already a star.
She can hit some notes, but just because she has a power voice doesn't mean she sounds any good. I leave the room when she's on.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I think Megan is going home.....

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
The show got off to a rough start, with Anoop going back to his bad old ways. I did not like the song, and thought the judges were too nice to Anoop. Stick to those power ballads, as R&B is not your forte. Also, Anoop has become quite arrogant. I wouldn't mind it if he was voted off.

Megan still sang badly, and she keeps saying she will come through next week. I had to hit the mute button, as she cannot hit a note to save her life. I hope she is at least in the bottom three, and am with you on her going home, Gazrok.

Danny turned it up a notch, and I now really like him. He reminds me of a young Phil Collins. Adam and Kris also were among the best. These three will be unstoppable. I really look forward to what these three will do each week.

Lil has a nice voice, but she seems to still be off. Allison tried something different, and the judges didn't like her as much. I give her points for taking a risk. She is the female rocker, and they usually do not make it very far. She does need to stop acting like a Diva, as she is not.

Shame on you, Ryan, for putting Lil's children on the spot. I know reality shows are supposed to exploit every person, but children are always off limits. SHAME, SHAME on you Ryan!!!

Matt, Matt, Matt. The judges like your songs because you are so very different than the others. I thought you were OK, but you were forgettable. People don't know you, and you are not getting the votes. I do think Matt will go home tonight.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I guess Matt finally found a fan base, as he was not in the bottom three. It was a very cruel April Fool's joke to play on him, and is just another reason to dump Ryan Seacrest. He could of told the producers it was too cruel and not done it, but something tells me Seacrest is a weasel.

Megan, Allison and Anoop were in the bottom three, no surprise as Allison has been there before. I had figured Megan had a fan base to vote for her no matter what, and Matt did not. I guess I was wrong on those accounts. Megan sealed her doom when she stated she didn't care, and when she was told she had been voted out, Simon didn't even pretend. I don't see what type of music Megan could do good. She may have started out good, but I cringed every time she sang. After the tour, I do not see a music career for her.

The hour long show is mostly filler for advertisements. I actually watched Rachel Maddow's interview with Colin Powell, and turned in between commercials to see what was happening on Idol. I stayed on Idol for the final fifteen minutes, and wish they would edit out the fluff. Just have one former Idol contestant sing, showcase a song from the weeks topic and have the results. It can be done in a half hour, but FOX makes too much money on longer formats.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join