It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Idol 2009

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I did not watch the auditions this time as they have gotten too cruel. I was going to watch Hollywood Week, but the promos showed a bunch of drama queens, so I skipped that and waited for the actual voting.

They have shaken up how the final 12 contestants are voted in this time, and it is a good idea. There were 36 contestants chosen, and for the next few weeks 12 contestants will sing. One man and one woman will get a spot in the final 12, along with the next highest vote getter. That will leave three wild card slots open at the end. 27 contestants will vie for only three slots. While they did not state how the wild card slots are chosen, I would think the judges may do that.

The bad news for the singers is they have to really knock it out of the ballpark to be a finalist in the top 12. This show was one of the weakest ones I have seen in a while. Most of the singers were decent, but the only ones who really impressed me were Alexis and Danny. Remember, I did not see the earlier shows, so I do not know how well they did or did not do before last nights performance.

The good news for the next two groups of 12 is they have a real shot at getting the three wild card slots. They have to really knock it out and show they have the talent. Playing it safe, or not singing well will be the end for their short careers.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Oh, the auditions are the best part....I mean some of those characters were priceless, hehe...

Sure, they're harsh...but sometimes, I mean, you gotta wonder what they were thinking...or who told them they could sing....

The method this year seems a bit harsh though...12 perform, only 3 advance....but we'll see. I can't really get invested into rooting for one though, until we see who's in the top 12...

Some people who did good in auditions and in Hollywood really blew it on stage last night...

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I end up watching this with my girlfriend frequently, and I'll step out early and say that I think Danny Gokey is by far the most talented singer on the show. I doubt he'll win because the most talented rarely does, but this guy has a career in front of him.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

I totally agree with you! He was really the only one last night that blew me away. You have to love his story too! He is by far the most talented of the lot this year!

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Yep, that's why they waited until last for him... Danny's definitely a front-runner.

Did you notice that those who got through were the ones who had stories done on them during the audition episodes? (Coincidence? I don't think so)... I wonder if *shudder* that means Tatianna will be a wild card choice... (I hope not, she's got some chops vocally, but an awful onscreen personality)....

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I figured Danny and Alexis would go through, as they are the ones I could really remember. Michael slipped in, and I agree with the judges that he is a dark horse. He is raw, but it will be nice to see him develop into a great singer. The other two are already at their high levels, and that may actually work against them.

I still wonder how they are going to deal out the three wild card slots. None of the others impressed me with their performances. The next 24 singers are going to really have to impress the home viewers and judges this time around. It does seem a little harsh, but with the wild card slots and the limited slots available, the singers really need to make their debut count. It was always a rough start for some, as they (rightly) realized there was enough slots to get them through if they were popular. This format weeds out the singers who choose to wing it, rather than actually compete.

I stopped watching the auditions a few years back when the cameraman and show seemed to milk the teen while he was crying. Some of these kids do think they are talented, and it was too cruel to watch the judges eat them alive. I know this is the best part for most viewers, but I actually like the contest itself, once they pick their top 36. I also did not watch Hollywood Week because of the fake dramas that are pushed on us by the producers. Let's be honest, they are mostly made up, and the contestants are told to bring it up a notch for ratings. I chose to skip it this time around, and am glad I did.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
The wife and I watch Idol every year.

I've been saying since season 3, this isn't a talent contest. It's a poplularity contest amongst people who sing.

Take the voting out of the publics hands and have a panel of 5 professional judges.

Only then will this be a true singing competition.

Oh yeah... bye bye Tatiana (sp)

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I have to agree that it's a popularity contest.

BUT

It is efficient. It produces talented people who would otherwise never have a shot to showcase themselves.

I have never in the years watching this show felt that someone who won did not deserve to be the winner. In the end people vote for the artist they will buy and its a brilliant set-up.

Love this season so far and can't wait for the next two rounds.

PS - My two year old holds our rock band microphone and sings with each song happily. To bad they don't have Toddler Idol. She would soo win.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
You should get the American Idol sing along game....perform on the same stages, etc.! Was one of my wife's Xmas presents from me.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I was actually thinking about getting that !! How funny.

I myself love to sing, but I am well beyond the days when becoming a big star is possible and think as I age more and more the idea of being a "Idol" sounds more like a lifetime of no peace and quiet.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I think they'll much Danny Gokey through the ringer this year with drama wherever they can find it so the public feels they need to keep calling in. Chris Daughtry a few years ago was never in any danger whatsoever, and the public stopped voting as they got comfortable. I think they'll try to make measures to off-set this, while keeping it a legitimate contest.

I assumed Danny and Alexis would go through, and then I had hoped for either Michael or Anoop.

I am curious how they play out the wild card slots.

That Tatiana girl is easily one of the more talented on the show, yet she is so unlikable. If she would just close her mouth she would do much better. It's hilarious watching the facial reactions of other contestants when she speaks. And Ryan.. he's taking obvious digs at her and just leaves his comments open-ended for her to begin to talk.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Tatiana ( great name )

I have to admit during Hollywood week she was a bit unlikeable and the camera crew and producers ate it up I am sure.

Now as I see her for who she is I feel sorry for her being exploited and the fact that she shows emotion other then a cheesy arse grin some of the others have makes me like her more. She seems real and emotional and high strung and well, human.

I may not want her over for dinner, but I could easily be entertained by her. Some of the other contestants are so fake and boring.

Danny on the other hand, he's a little to good to be true. Almost like he already knows hes winning. Daughtry was good, but he was always humble about it. Something about Danny just doesn't sit well with me. Shrug.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

In some cases the ones that don't win end up being the most successful. If one makes it in the top ten, they have a chance at making an album.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Does Kara get on anyone's nerves?

I really like her on the show. Some of the stuff she says is great and the dynamics of her relationship on-screen with Simon makes for some good laughs. But when she says stuff like, "you instill hope in all of us" and is coming out of her chair as she says it.. it's a little over the top. I thought Danny's performance of "Hero" the other night was great. By far the best of the night. But her screaming and acting as if he just made the world a better place was somewhat aggravating.

I thought Simon's response was dead-on. It was a very good performance, but he was taken back by the reactions of the others.

Being new, I think her lack of experience shows a bit.

[edit on 2-20-2009 by chissler]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
She's a weird mix of Paula and Simon to me... Sometimes, she's caring...other times, she makes Simon look generous... I think it's funny Simon still can't say her name right...

I gotta say though, I agree with Simon most often...and sometimes, I'm just waiting for him to keep it real when they critique someone....

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Simon's almost always right and he knows it.

He made a comment this past week about just that. Paula said something along the lines, "Yeah, well it's America that votes!" and Simon responded with "Yeah, but it's me they listen to!"

Is it arrogance when you're right?

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Yeah, I caught that...

I also heard a news story that Paula's guessed 7 out of 8 of the past winners correctly, and that she made the guess after the final 12 were picked each time....didn't say which one she got wrong though (I'm guessing Ruben)....

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

I always thought Simon gave the best advice. I do wish Paula and the others would not be afraid to hurt feelings and give them some decent advice. While some of the more popular ones will get voted in anyways, it is the others who need to shine and get voted through.

My one problem with the top two (Danny and Alexis) is that they have no where to go. They seem to already be at the top of their game, and people love a person who is learning and growing before their eyes, like Michael.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Dare i say Tatiana for a wild Card

She is one of the first during auditions i have seen that got a No! kept singing got another No! each effort was better than the last on the third atempt they said yes!,,well persistance certinaly paid off for her...as a rule the ones that beg and carry on dont get through.

You know i hope she does get a wild card,,,it would be intresting.

Now the one i dont understand as i dont think he is funny and a dont think he can sing that good,, is that Norman bill gates looking guy sorry i dont get him and feel someone miss out on a spot!!!!at least Tatiana can sing and quite well i suspect.

Having said that i think the three that got through was probably the right choice.....Top 5 for Danny,, will he win "No" imho.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I have watched American Idol since the beginning. I'm a freak.

I'm loving Danny this year. I didn't really like Michael and I'm surprised he got through. I think Ricky or Anoop should have gone in his place. I hope Ricky gets chosen as a wild card. They didn't do a story on him, but he's got a great voice.

And I know people hate Tatania, and I'm not crazy about her, but she can SING. I think she might get a wild card, just for the drama.

It's good to see an AI thread here.

[edit on 22-2-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join