It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dead birds everywhere ...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I haven't noticed dead birds (haven't really been looking), but the comments with respect to birds being hit by cars get my attention.

I've witnessed this myself in the last week. Prior to now, I have never seen a bird getting hit by a car.

I'll be on the lookout now.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Curious to hear from the OP??

[edit on 16-2-2009 by Cloudsinthesky]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

Ok folks, I found two more this morning and as has been requested I snapped a couple of pictures:

Still no word as to the cause.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
The other day I reported that I hadn't seen any dead birds in my area. Today that has changed. It's only one bird, but I don't understand why it died?

I will post this photo, but if it disturbs anyone I will take it down. I let my dogs out this afternoon, and went out with them. I noticed one of my dogs found something in the yard and I went to see what it was. It was a dead red-headed woodpecker. It was dead when she found it, but I had a heck of a time getting it from her, that's why it's mangled. Looks like fresh blood, so it couldn't have been dead long. I have a suet block in my yard and seed that I feed to the wild birds, so I don't think this guy was starved.

I'll be on the lookout for more birds. I hope I don't find any.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

Where are you located?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I live close to Toledo Oh. Sorry, I should have mentioned that in my post.

I found this info:

The Red-headed Woodpecker is listed as a vulnerable species in Canada and is listed on multiple state threatened species lists in the United States.

[edit on 16-2-2009 by virraszto]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

I would take a walk to your near by park and look around for more birds............

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I live in a rural area and have woods behind my house. If it weren't flooded, I would go take a walk. When it dries up a little, I will. My dog will be the first to find any dead/wounded/live animals in the vicinity. In the dead of winter, in 12 inches of snow, she hunted a mole and dug him out. I hate moles, but don't want to see them die. I tried to dig a hole for him to crawl back into, but unfortunately, I found him frozen a few days later.

[edit on 16-2-2009 by virraszto]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
We may want to keep a close eye on this. Figuring with all the strange goings on lately and all the strange solar activity it may have to do with solar activity. One never knows. I can tell you this though that I did find out that the Monarch butterflies only 30% of them opened this past year the rest are all dead. Something killed all of them. So that sort of makes me wonder what makes all of them die off? I have all of these wonderful little hanging things on my bushes full of dead pupa. And they are dead. I checked about 20 and they are completely dead. There are no holes in them so I have to cut it open with scissors yet inside the Pupa is all dried up and crumbled???? This is not normal.

Just figured I would tell you I am not going to open up the other 5000 or so to check but I am sure they also are dead. I also am keeping a close eye on a crow that has been acting a bit strange lately.

[edit on 16-2-2009 by pmbhuntress]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
After talking to a few neighbors as I understand it there was similar die off in my area a few years back that hit the Finch's hard. I'm still having 2 to 4 new dead birds everyday.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TAWonATS

Where are you located?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cloudsinthesky
reply to post by TAWonATS

Where are you located?

nnw N.C. Surry county
Just 5 minutes to VA border.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Four dead birds test positive for West Nile virus

NORTH COUNTY — Four dead birds discovered around San Diego County have tested positive for West Nile virus, health officials announced today.

"Despite the cold weather, mosquitoes are still spreading West Nile virus to our local birds,'' said Gary Erbeck, director of the San Diego County Department of Environmental Health.
The three American crows and one red-shouldered hawk, the first dead birds discovered in San Diego County with West Nile virus this year, were found in Poway, San Marcos and Sorrento Valley, according to the DEH.
According to the DEH, neglected "green'' swimming pools at foreclosed properties continue to provide prime breeding grounds for mosquitos.
Residents, Realtors, pool maintenance companies and landscapers are being encouraged to report "green'' pools so that San Diego County Vector Control officials can take steps to control mosquito breeding.
County Vector Control can be reached at (888) 551-INFO (4636). Information on West Nile virus is also available online at www.SDFightthebite.com.

www3.signonsandiego.com...

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Hi, long time lurker and first time poster.

Just found this in todays news in New Zealand www.stuff.co.nz about dead birds. The original source is from the Taranaki Daily News.

It might be of use for this discussion, or not. They seem to think it was heavy rain that is killing the birds, which is bizzare.

Source

Hundreds of sparrows littered New Plymouth's main street yesterday, shocking business owners arriving at work and baffling a bird expert. The drenched birds were dropping like flies from two trees on the Hill on Devon St West after a deluge of rain. Autopsies will be done on some of the dead birds to see if foul play was involved.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Schrodinger,those birds that you have mentioned,for instance, sparrows are seed eaters/scavengers.Perhaps they have become a bother to somebody and (perhaps) they have been baited(poisoned) with seed.

Can you do an autopsy on one of the birds? See if it contains anything in its crop.Also can you post the condition of the dead birds ( ie.looks malnourished, has a discharge ect.)

Peace.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   

That bird looks like it's been attacked by a cat or dog.

Poor fella

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
HOLY SMOKE............. its happening in new zealand too!!!!!!!!!!!

read this link!!!

www.stuff.co.nz...

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cygnus_Hunter
Can you do an autopsy on one of the birds?

I'll get right on that.

Actually,I haven't seen any the last few mornings since I took those pictures a couple of pages back.

And though I have asked, the condo manager hasn't been told anything from whichever agency he called.

So if it happens again I will contact the appropriate agency and hopefully I will get an answer. The whole phenomenon lasted about a week so it may be due to someone putting out poisonous seed. There are sickos out there who would probably do such a thing.

I'll let you know if there are any new developments.

*nurse, drill, suction ...*

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

The bird was already dead in my fenced yard. It was freshly dead. It got tore up when I was trying to get it from my dog. I took my dogs out in the fenced yard for the first time of the day, and I watched my dog run to it. It was already dead.

[edit on 20-2-2009 by virraszto]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join