It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Age Of Sexual Consent: What Does The USA Think?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I heard on the news not so long back that people are abusing the age of consent differences from country to country, i think sweeden is 13 and people from europe (pedo's n all) go there amongst other places to get up to no good, so i think there cracking down on the laws with sex tourism where by which you have to abide by your own countries laws regarding that department.

I think 16 is fine, maybe even 13/14 (on condition) (no im not a nonse) to stop criminalising kids that are playing around with each other and happen to have a child, look at the latest uk case, they decided they wernt going to press charges (to a 13 year old), cmon his bird (girl friend) is twice the size of him, it aint like he raped her (at a guess), im sure she would slap him down if he got out of hand hes no taller than my left leg.

Thats my two quid neroad.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

What is the appropriate age, then? I know men and women well into their 20s who are about as immature and childish and irresponsible as they come.

The courts and legal system shouldn't be involved when a 16 year old girl has sex with her 18 year old boyfriend.

I'v always believed there should be any age of consent (16 is good i believe) and then an age determined 2 year either way limit. That means you take your age, lets say 13 and you are legally able to have sex with someone two years either side of that age without legal repercussions. Obviously once you are past 16 you can have sex with anyone over 14.

That way we wouldn't see 17 year olds being put on the sex offenders register for having sex with their 15 year old girlfriend and therefore destroying the 17 year olds life.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by eldard

You obviously don't live in Britain.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by MsSmartypants
reply to post by eldard

Twelve?!!! Twelve?!!! So the Philippean gov't. is sanctioning 12 year old CHILDREN being sexually active? And not only that....they can legally have sex with someone 3, 4,or 5 times older than themselves? What in the world would be the rationale behind that?

Simple. We don't have the pathetic moralistic platitudes that Americans have. Here, an 18 year old can legally date a 17 year old without fear of prosecution (wtf!) Oh, and we don't treat our teenagers like children. We encourage them to grow up and think like adults. So they don't remain stupid like teens from some countries I know.

Thanks to this marvelous Depression you will soon not have to worry about whether your 17 year old daughter should be forbidden to see her boyfriend who's just a year older as y'all will be busy trying to put food in your bellies.

Bankruptcy to America, yeah!!!

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by pteridine
Twelve does seem a bit young, Eldard. Is it really 12, or are you having fun with the voyeurs and pedophiles on ATS?

Google it. Other countries have lower, actually. Yeah, I'm having fun with the Canadians as we see you become more and more third world-like.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
like I said before, the Brittish Law says that once you hit puberty you are legally allowed to marry. The thing is that the age of puberty is different for everyone, and food sources have made puberty start earlier now.

Also when these laws were passed and in previous times, most people did not live as long as we do now.

So I think that we have to come to a reasonable age that we should allow.

I would say 15 or 16 considering the times we live in.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I should also add that most 12-13 (even up to 15) year olds here are quite small and can pass up as kids so most adults are not attracted to them. And we have a low incidence of rape and sexual assault. That being said most of the pedophiles that come here are actually from the West.

It is illegal for an American citizen or resident to have sex in another country with someone aged under 16, unless the age difference is less than 4 years, in which case the minimum age is 12.]/b]

www.avert.org...

Uh, okay.

[edit on 2/14/2009 by eldard]

And recently on the news, there was a German national who ran away with her 15 year old Filipina girlfriend. The girl was pregnant. The family reported to the police and when the couple was found, the German was charged with kidnapping, but not statutory rape.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by eldard

"y'all?" Are you from the southern Phillipines, Eldard? Why would you wish bankruptcy on America when it will adversely affect the rest of the world? The thing that you might wish for is jail terms for the greedy financiers on Wall street who always wanted more. The average American works hard and has little to show for it, unlike those financiers who work very little and cheat people out of their money. The jail terms they get should be in a quarry, breaking rocks 12 hours a day.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

I'm very familiar with American slangs and expressions. Regarding my hatred for your country, it started with children. Not having sex with them, but the fact that you don't discipline them properly. Here we beat them senseless* if they misbehave. There, teachers have to be protected by armed guards lest they be assaulted by their own students.

And most of the world is used to hardship. The world did away without America for thousands of years, it can do it again.

* figure of speech but recommended

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
We are all #ed up here in the USA. You can drive at 15 1/2, but you cannot drink 'til you are 21.... Anything psychoactive is considered dangerous and therefor illegal, except for the ones that actually are dangerous (example: tobacco, alcohol, a lot of OTCs, most prescriptions). We are the most depressed nation in the world. We take the most anti-depressants. Half of our congress do not even abide by the laws they establish. Cops give out speeding tickets like you wouldn't believe. We are living in hell, and everyone thinks it's paradise... I don't understand it.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by eldard

Philliborg,
It seems as though your hatred is tempered with enjoyment of American sci-fi TV shows.

It is true that over the last 40 years or so that children have been spoiled through lack of discipline from parents and schools. Physical punishment [paddling] is no longer permitted and that has both good and bad consequences. Some parents are able to control their children and do teach them properly. Some parents do not. Many single parents are so tired from work that they have no energy and are just worn down by their chldren.
Certainly, the world can get along without the US and it soon may have a chance of seeing how well it can manage. I hope that the transition is seamless and the suffering of innocents is minimal.

[edit on 2/14/2009 by pteridine]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Well, someone mentioned it earlier but MOST states in the US have +/- two years law. ie. 15 can date 17 yr old. etc. I remember this being in effect when I lived in WV.

Also it varies state to state on the age of consent, I think it is 16 in Alaska and Alabama, basically it is set by each individual state.

Occasionally you will have the 17-18 yr. old thing but that generally involves one party being mad at the other and really pushing it. It is rarely enforced. Another interesting fact is the younger the girl that gets pregnant the tendency is for the father to older. I.e. a pregnant 13 yr old is more likely to become pregnant from a man in his 40's while a woman in her 20's is more likely to become pregnant from a man in his 20's.

[edit on 14-2-2009 by SonOfChaos]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

It appears it's true. I wondered myself, did a google search and turned up a chart of worldwide consent ages.

Dear god dude, don't do things like that you never know who's watching you and what they are recording. Hope your not thinking of running for a government off because you definitely cooked your goose there.

Good post by the way it's interesting to get other peoples takes on the subject, I really don't know what to think about that kid of 13 being a father, it's one of the very few times I'm lost for words.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
If Ginsburg had her way, it would be 12.

From WorldnetDaily...

"6. Reducing the Age of Consent to 12. Ginsburg had recommended legislative changes that would reduce the age of consent for statutory rape under federal law from 16 to 12.

(The documentation for items 1 through 6 is provided here. See pages 69-71 and the specific recommendation regarding 18 U.S.C. § 2032 on page 76 for item 6.) "

12 year olds were quite active in my day. The ones I knew that were getting laid, were set up by their Dr parents to go out with promising young men on their way to medical school. The girls stayed with them throughout late-gradeschool, highschool & college. ... I could tell stories...

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Most 18 year olds in America are not mature enough to make a grilled cheese sandwich

LMAO - You have to admit, not only a funny line, it's true.
And, I believe Phoenix has a valid point regarding intentions. If you're abusive or just looking for a pleasure plunge then that slight difference in age should be held against you. But, if you're head over feet for each other ... Why not let them tumble together?
Ohio's AOC was 16 in the 70's. I didn't know that until the girl I was ... seeing got into trouble because she was 19. It was a mess, but a tolerant judge dismissed it after pleas from both our parents. Course, I wasn't allowed to see her any more.
And, yeah, Eldard aka Philliborg - I got the crap beat out of me by my parents. From Mom, mostly. Actually, that happened often, but they are not to blame. I was the rebellious first son in an Italian family with a strict but fair Father and a domineering, controlling Mother who wouldn't hesitate to club us with a rolling pin if we got out of line. I think she must have been a Pinch hitter for the Cleveland Indians in a past life cause she was deadly accurate with that thing. lol I was well aware of the consequences but I pushed their buttons anyway. They never hit the face, though. And, they were very aware of the psychological affects corporal punishment tends to have on the young so they doled out the love 10 fold compared when they disciplined. I never felt any animosity towards either of them, and we remain a very close family.
And, every parent I know in our immediate family does the same. No way the government or some "stick up her bumm" social worker tells us how to deal with our own.
So, please don't generalize ... not ALL American kids lack discipline.
Assimilate that. (jk)
I have to ask, Eldard - Is that your only qualm with us? or, U.S. as it were ...

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

I think it should all depend on the education level sex ed is taught at, as well as parental consent.

About that list, all I have to say is...ouch at Madagascar! Anyone having sexual relations to anyone aged 20 in Madagascar is considered a pedophile?

Overall, it looks like the average age of consent of all the countries listed is 16 years old.

[edit on Sun Feb 15th 2009 by DJMessiah]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by moocowman

Dear god dude, don't do things like that you never know who's watching you and what they are recording. Hope your not thinking of running for a government off because you definitely cooked your goose there.

Good post by the way it's interesting to get other peoples takes on the subject, I really don't know what to think about that kid of 13 being a father, it's one of the very few times I'm lost for words.

Oh come now this is a little to paranoid. Whilst i understand that google records all traffic for 2 years i don't think i can get in trouble for looking that up. It's the avert website which deals with sexual issues including help for teens. Easily explainable.

Anyway researchers for papers have to type in some very weird stuff i'm sure.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
i saw a map of consent once that said..either Yemen or Oman was..get tis... NINE years old. i mean WTF!
the mid east really are screwed up.
so i.e married and they have arranged marriages at the age of 8 or 9..the mid east needs to wake up and see the 21st century not the 15th

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by DJMessiah

I think it should all depend on the education level sex ed is taught at

I don't know about that, DJMessiah. They start sex-ed at 12 years old. At least, that was my nephew's age when he can into my office and said (with a big grin), "Uncle (blank), guess what we learned about today in school? We're learning about sex!" "Giggle, giggle."
And, I just had to ask, "Was this a self taught class or was it taught by the teacher?" He turn 10 shades of red.
I think there's a solid consensus here that anything under 16 would be inappropriate and should not be legal AOC.
Unless, you're like my nephew, and you're by yourself. lol

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Okie sorry but what ever the government set the age too, were still going to have sex- i had sex when i was 13- i was in a 5 month relationship though...
i doesn't matter really most of my freinds (alot of people) i know have had sex (im 15 now) and at least 1/4 of my year group in school have

ow and i live in London before you think i come form the philipieans (no offense)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join