It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Age Of Sexual Consent: What Does The USA Think?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
You know i wondered today what the USA would think of the the UK's age of consent? Here in the UK the age of consent for sex is 16. Most of us here in the UK think this is just fine. In the USA many areas have the age set at 18. Does that mean that many of those from states with an age of consent of 18 think that brits are paedophiles? Or at the very least sex offenders?

It's an odd one but i thought i'd ask it.

[edit on 14-2-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
In Canada it's 14. In my country (Philippines) it's 12.

In the US they don't even allow their kids to drink until they're 21.
No wonder they're a f--ked up society.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Well, in Georgia, the age of consent was 15.

I know this because I was, ah, an early bloomer and had to arrange my schedule carefully before we moved to a state at which it was higher.

Happy Birthday to me!

So yes, some US states are more liberal about the age thing.

[edit on 14-2-2009 by quitebored]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by eldard

Twelve?!!! Twelve?!!! So the Philippean gov't. is sanctioning 12 year old CHILDREN being sexually active? And not only that....they can legally have sex with someone 3, 4,or 5 times older than themselves? What in the world would be the rationale behind that?

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
USA here 16 seems to be logical. I'm thinkin back to my hay days in the 70's and most 16 year olds were thinking about the draft and college and what not .< so sex was "known as, as "I can get babies, and then I am responsible to feed it and cloth it, and there are people out there that will be on "my" case..hmmm. At 14 though, thats just nuts. When I was 14 I thought more about "hmmm, maybe one more halloween outing as Zorro.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by RUFFREADY

Here in the UK this week we have a 12 year old father
A kid that when asked by the news reporter what he was going to do financially he replied "Whats that mean". When i was 12 i was going through puberty but sex never crossed my mind, i was more into running around in the woods building bases.Off topic but i had to slot that in to some thread out of disgust.

Anyway back to the topic, so far it seems many accept the 16 year old label without any real problem. I wonder then why it is 18 in the states? I'm not saying it's wrong, it's your country to run i'm just wondering why it's 18.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Personally, I never considered Brits to be pedophiles because of the age of consent. Likely, most Americans don't know the age of consent in other countries.
Eldard claims the US is messed up because the drinking age is 21. This has more to do with drunken driving than anything. Our children can legally drive at 16 and the drinking age helps protect people from the young and foolish. Unfortunately, the old and stupid who drink and drive have no such restrictions. The only problem is that they kill other people in addition to themselves.
Twelve does seem a bit young, Eldard. Is it really 12, or are you having fun with the voyeurs and pedophiles on ATS?

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

It appears it's true. I wondered myself, did a google search and turned up a chart of worldwide consent ages. Interestingly it includes all the different ages of the US states. If you're interested take a look.

www.avert.org...

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
though I am all for protecting innocent children; I know there are a massive number of men who have been convicted for having consentual contact with 14-17 year olds. I have two teenage daughters myself (one of whom just became a 16 year old mother) so this subject does hit home. I am sorry, but I have seen several 14 year olds that look older than 18; and, I have seen several 14 year olds who are sexually active. There are too many instances where 18-25 year old men are convicted for sleeping with a 14-17 year old girl concentually. With casual sex becoming more common in this age group, many unsuspecting men do not even know that they have slept with an underage until charges are filed. Recently an 18 year old friend of mine was convicted for sleeping with a 17 year old. He has to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life, and had to spend 6 months in jail. I say lower the consent age or make more realistic restrictions for a changing society.

[edit on 14-2-2009 by supertrot]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Each state has a different age limit. In my state it is 16, in others its 15,17,18

I think 16 is fine. You know what you are doing when you are 16 so why not?

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

From the link you provided:
"The age of sexual consent in the Philippines is 12 for all, but contacts with minors (under 18) are an offence if the minor consents to the act for money, gain or any other remuneration or as the result of an influence of any adult person."

This is more reasonable in that it allows the kiddies to play but prevents the dirty old men from taking advantage of the young and impressionable. It would seem that a 17 year old could legally seduce a 12 year old but that is the law in their country.

link   

Anyway back to the topic, so far it seems many accept the 16 year old label without any real problem. I wonder then why it is 18 in the states? I'm not saying it's wrong, it's your country to run i'm just wondering why it's 18.

Because the age is consent implies that the individual is "mature" enough to make an educated and intelligent choice.

Most 18 year olds in America are not mature enough to make a grilled cheese sandwich let alone make a decision about engaging in an act that could impact their life and the life of many other people for the rest of their lives.

It is not just about a bit of fun and a little in and out. It is about consequences of ones' actions and responsibility.

So I think that the age of consent should be increased everywhere where children are stilling living at home and are financially dependent.

When you are old enough and mature enough to be independent and care for yourself then you can start thinking about making those additions to your life.

IMHO

link   
reply to post by supertrot

Well i was just asking what americans thought of the British consent age rather than the topic you bought up, however now you have it's an interesting point. I have heard of men going into nightclubs and sleeping with girls only later to face charges because the girl was 13! In my opinion those charges should be thrown out because any girl entering a nightclub is immediately proclaiming herself to be 18 and must look it. If anything the girl should be prosecuted for getting the guy in trouble.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Some of these 16 year old in the uk here, would beat the crap out of us lol. Some crazy girls out there.

But I think 16 is fine, and the parents should be aware anyway. What I mean is, the goverment should not get involved if a 16 year old and a 20 year old are in love.

I say this because when I was like 17, I knew 16 year old's who went out with a 20-21 year olds, and got treated WAY better that guys her age, who would treat them like crap. In fact they are still together 6 years later, happily together and even more mature.

So in the end it's really about "intentions", does the guy want to use her and control her, or is he in love and wan't to treat her like a princess.

[edit on 14-2-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by NightSkyeB4Dawn
Because the age is consent implies that the individual is "mature" enough to make an educated and intelligent choice.

Most 18 year olds in America are not mature enough to make a grilled cheese sandwich let alone make a decision about engaging in an act that could impact their life and the life of many other people for the rest of their lives.

When you are old enough and mature enough to be independent and care for yourself then you can start thinking about making those additions to your life.

IMHO

Forgive me but i've met 30 year olds who aren't intelligent and mature enough to make that choice, end up pregnant and ruin their lives. I don't think the age of consent is so much about pregnancy as protecting children. So if you think it needs to be raised does that mean you would see any Britain as a sexual deviant?

It's a strange question but if having sex with someone who is 16 is illegal in the USA then maybe you should ban us Britains from your shores as we're obviously a danger
Ok shouldn't laugh i'm just pointing out that 18 is maybe too much.

Oh but i actually agree with your drinking age. 21 is a good idea.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by eldard
In Canada it's 14. In my country (Philippines) it's 12.

The age of consent in Canada is now 16. It was raised in May 2008. There is a "close-in-age exception" that allows a 14 or 15 year old to have sex with someone less than 5 years older.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Forgive me but i've met 30 year olds who aren't intelligent and mature enough to make that choice, end up pregnant and ruin their lives. I don't think the age of consent is so much about pregnancy as protecting children. So if you think it needs to be raised does that mean you would see any Britain as a sexual deviant?

Calm down and clear your mind; then re-read my post.

I said that I thought a person should be old enough and "mature" enough to be able to recognize and to deal with the consequences of their actions.

I never accused anyone of pedophilia because I do no think that is the issue. The issue is the age of consent and what age is appropriate to engage in sexual activity.

Of course the appropriate age of consent is going to be different in different cultures.

In a culture were young girls are responsible and are expected to take on the duties and responsibilities of an independent woman then she is more than likely able to make that decision.

In America were most young girls wear Velcro because they can't figure out how to tie their shoes, well, IMHO I think maybe the age should be a little higher.

Of course, everyone has their opinion and I am sure that it is just as valid (to them).

As far as pedophilia is concerned that too is not as much about age as it is the desire of a person to engage in sexual acts with “children”. It is not a mature act of mutual consent. It is an adult taking advantage of a defenseless child who has not reach the age of maturity to make this decision on its own.

I am sure that this often comes down to a decision made by the courts and laws determine at least one level of quilt or innocence.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
reply to post by pteridine

It appears it's true. I wondered myself, did a google search and turned up a chart of worldwide consent ages. Interestingly it includes all the different ages of the US states. If you're interested take a look.

www.avert.org...

So, if I'm reading that right then, in Queensland Australia, a 16 yr old male can legally have sex with a 18 yr old female but has to be 18 in order to have sex with a male but a 16 yr old female cannot have sex with a male until 18 but can with a female at 16???? WTH?

[edit on 14/2/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Calm down and clear your mind; then re-read my post.

I was perfectly calm when i read it, if you think my using the word "deviant" was aggressive then sorry it wasn't meant to be, i was referring simply to my original post.

I said that I thought a person should be old enough and "mature" enough to be able to recognize and to deal with the consequences of their actions.

I never accused anyone of pedophilia because I do no think that is the issue. The issue is the age of consent and what age is appropriate to engage in sexual activity.

Actually my original post was asking if americans would see britains as sexually deviant as our ages of consent are different. So the thread was very much about that and i was in no way doing this angrily.

Of course the appropriate age of consent is going to be different in different cultures.

In a culture were young girls are responsible and are expected to take on the duties and responsibilities of an independent woman then she is more than likely able to make that decision.

In America were most young girls wear Velcro because they can't figure out how to tie their shoes, well, IMHO I think maybe the age should be a little higher.

Of course, everyone has their opinion and I am sure that it is just as valid (to them).

Well it is sadly impossible to pin down one age because as you say people are maturing at different times. Some may be ready at 12 (no i'm not saying that should be legal!) other ready at 20. A decent yardstick is good though and i think our age of 16 in the UK seems to be pretty solid. Although i wish we'd better educate kids to help them avoid pregnancy.

As far as pedophilia is concerned that too is not as much about age as it is the desire of a person to engage in sexual acts with “children”. It is not a mature act of mutual consent. It is an adult taking advantage of a defenseless child who has not reach the age of maturity to make this decision on its own.

Yes and no. If a person has sex with someone underage they are legally a paedophile but i understand what you are saying.

Anyway that last bit was slightly off topic i feel so back to the age of consent business and no hard feelings i wasn't angry in my previous post i can assure you. I was just asking a straight question.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

What is the appropriate age, then? I know men and women well into their 20s who are about as immature and childish and irresponsible as they come.

The courts and legal system shouldn't be involved when a 16 year old girl has sex with her 18 year old boyfriend.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join