It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds Of Kids Beaten, Whipped, Even Choked By Teachers, Coaches

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Finn1916
chicago area schools? Well, it depends on the area honestly. If it's the little gang banger kids that are flashing colors and threatening teachers, then yeah i can see why the teachers snap. If it's not, then I have no idea why this is happeneing. I am inclined to believe it is the gang banger kids cause otherwise yes, parents would be all over the school. Nine times outta ten the gang kids have dopers for parents who don't pay any attention. doesn't make it right mind you, but if some bratty little thugs were constantly threatening me (which does happena lot) i would eventually have enough and beat them down too. If it's more than one teacher chances are there is a reason like this for it.

I totally disagree with you, I grew up in a gang infested city, there were lot's of gang kids at the school, but never any abuse. We had at least one fight a day, and several times knives and guns were found, but never any allegations of abuse that I know of. The teachers would be way too scared to try any corporal punishment on gang kids...

The sad truth is a lot of these gang kids only have one parent, and that parent is too busy trying to get by to provide the loving home environment that keeps kids out of gangs and off the streets...

I think this is nuts, this kind of stuff taking place in public schools, its one thing to hear of nuns who used to hit knuckles with rulers but another thing when you hear of modern day kids getting whipped 100 times with a belt! How did they restrain the kid long enough to get 100 whips...?

If I were a parent I would be demanding action night and day until the teacher was fired AND put in prison...

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Just goes to show you that nothing good happens in or comes out of Chicago. Blago, barry soetoro, school beatings...great place

TheAssociate

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

"and they put eyes in entirety, so all would be observed.."

Voice what needs to be heard... to anyone willing to hear it.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I do not think that there is anything wrong with corporal punishment as long as it is kept reasonable. It sounds like in at least a few of these cases teachers crossed the line.

But honestly CPS is such a Gestapo type of organization and in a lot of states 5 year olds are allowed to boss around teachers and parents and the teachers and parents cannot do anything about it. There is something very wrong with that. Corporal punishment is affective at controlling behavior and is honestly in a lot of ways more humane than putting a kid in detention were they are neglected all afternoon a on a nice summer day when they should be out playing.

I get the idea from several posters that it is not commonly known that in several states corporal punishment is still legal and used in public schools, and usually it does not cause a major problem or end up in the news.

Teachers and even more importantly parents should be able to use responsible corporal punishment to teach discipline. While keeping in mind the difference between discipline and abuse.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I'm very surprised at this news, because this sort of stuff happens in european schools in europe. They definately teach discipline there. But it shouldn't surprise you that the school board doesn't care. When have they ever cared for a case being brought to them? The peel school board here in canada couldn't give two #s about our education. All they care about is money, and in a way you can't blame them because we all strive for that dollar. But still, they're not helping at all.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I am from the uk and at 24 was leaving secondary (high) school just as students in my area lost all respect towards their piers.

I agree with many posters here, that as far as I can see this is a direct result of a lack of parental responsibility and role modeling.

Though I disagree with an out-and-out beating, a firm hand is definately needed and if not employed at home then where else can this be administered? Your schooling, both in the home and from the government is what will shape the rest of your life- what do you learn from being allowed to cause mayhem without accountability?

I can see the counter argument to this of course (yes, but what do you learn from being able to administer such force...), but so long as the punishment is shown to be justified who is to argue. The way I personally see it is that it would only take a few of the worst to be punished in front of the whole school (an assembly or such) for the majority to be dissuaded from being as bad.

I know my siblings learnt from my wrongs!

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I am from the uk and at 24 was leaving secondary (high) school just as students in my area lost all respect towards their piers.

I agree with many posters here, that as far as I can see this is a direct result of a lack of parental responsibility and role modeling.

Though I disagree with an out-and-out beating, a firm hand is definately needed and if not employed at home then where else can this be administered? Your schooling, both in the home and from the government is what will shape the rest of your life- what do you learn from being allowed to cause mayhem without accountability?

I can see the counter argument to this of course (yes, but what do you learn from being able to administer such force...), but so long as the punishment is shown to be justified who is to argue. The way I personally see it is that it would only take a few of the worst to be punished in front of the whole school (an assembly or such) for the majority to be dissuaded from being as bad.

I know my siblings learnt from my wrongs!

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Monger
When I was in second grade I was choked and shook by my teacher. I'll admit I was sort of a pain in the ass, but it doesn't justify what happened to me.

It wasn't an incredibly long time ago either - I'm only 21. Mrs. Compton, may you rot in hell.

It doesn't shock me that it's still happening rather frequently.

I have no sympathy for you at all. You knew the rules, you broke them, you got punished.

Nothing arbitrary, from your own admission.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   

All this beating of children is nothing more than an attempt by the teachers to fix the engine on a car with square wheels. Or they just beat them out of anger, could be that too.

That car is our society today.

www.ascentofhumanity.com...

They know that there is a way the world is supposed to be, and a magnificent role for themselves in that more beautiful world. Broken to the lesser lives we offer them, they react with hostility, rage, cynicism, depression, escapism, or self-destruction—all the defining qualities of modern adolescence. Then we blame them for not bringing these qualities under control, and when they finally have given up their idealism we call them mature. Having given up their idealism, they can get on with the business of survival: practicality and security, comfort and safety, which is what we are left with in the absence of purpose. So we suggest they major in something practical, stay out of trouble, don't take risks, build a résumé. We think we are practical and wise in the ways of the world. Really we are just broken and afraid. We are afraid on their behalf, and, less nobly, we are afraid of what their idealism shows us: the plunder and betrayal of our own youthful possibilities.

"To most of the roles society offers, I say, "You are made for more than that." We inhabit, in the words of Ivan Illich, "a world into which nobody fits who has not been crushed and molded by sixteen years of formal education." The very idea of having to be at a job "on time" was appalling to early industrial laborers, who also refused the numbing repetitiveness of industrial work until the specter of starvation compelled them. What truly self-respecting person would spend a life marketing soda pop or chewing gum unless they were somehow broken by repeated threats to survival?

Schools train individuals to respond as a mass. Boys and girls are drilled in being bored, frightened, envious, emotionally needy, generally incomplete. A successful mass production economy requires such a clientele. A small business, small farm economy like that of the Amish requires individual competence, thoughtfulness, compassion, and universal participation; our own requires a managed mass of leveled, spiritless, anxious, familyless, friendless, godless, and obedient people who believe the difference between "Cheers" and "Seinfeld" is worth arguing about

And now read this, to see a real advanced civilization. No schools, no churches, no cops, nobody telling another what to do (that would be a very rude act). Of course nobody working for another, and no money.
This is how I measure civilization, not by "technology" and people behaving like the "Ferengi" or worse.

www.nativeamericans.com...

Crazy Horse, Tashunkewitko of the western Sioux, was born about 1845. Killed at Fort Robinson, Nebraska in 1877, he lived barely 33 years.

As a boy, Crazy Horse seldom saw white men. Sioux parents took pride in teaching their sons and daughters according to tribal customs. Often giving food to the needy, they exemplified self-denial for the general good. They believed in generosity, courage, and self-denial, not a life based upon commerce and gain.

One winter when Crazy Horse was only five, the tribe was short of food. His father, a tireless hunter, finally brought in two antelope. The little boy rode his pony through the camp, telling the old folks to come for meat, without first asking his parents. Later when Crazy Horse asked for food, his mother said, "You must be brave and live up to your generous reputation."

It was customary for young men to spend much time in prayer and solitude, fasting in the wilderness --typical of Sioux spiritual life which has since been lost in the contact with a material civilization.

[edit on 12-2-2009 by pai mei]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
There'd be a couple of teachers who would get hurt REAL BAD.

Hit my kids, prepare to get it back. Whip my kids, prepare to be belted. Choke my kids, prepare to be gasping.

I wonder what you would do if one of your kids attacked a teacher then.

Children need discipline, parents aren't administering it, and neither are the schools - so the rest of us are left to deal with these little problems when they become big problems.

How often do we see the grieving mother of some worthless thug who has been shot dead by the police crying into the camera "My baby, my baby, he was always such a GOOD boy........"

When in fact the "good boy" abused teachers, bullied other kids, and dropped out of school at 14 to join a gang.

Society is heading downhill fast.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

Is there a smilie for a standing ovation?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   

This is probably happening because Chicago schools system is run more as a military complex. A lot of the schools that are being built there are being built as military schools.

I read a big article about this school system in the last few weeks because Arne Duncan, the Superintendent of Chicago Public School system has been picked by Obama to be the Secretary of Education I think.

I don't recall a lot of the details of the article, but it was written to show what Americans can expect out of the public school system after this gentleman gets his hand on it.

There have been a lot of complaints from the parents in the school system on how he has affected the school board system, making it hard for parents to have any input, and a lot of other things that don't bode well for the future. I don't think I saved the article I found, but I was pretty disturbed by it when I read it.

[edit on 12-2-2009 by sezsue]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh

Hit my kids, prepare to get it back. Whip my kids, prepare to be belted. Choke my kids, prepare to be gasping.

Children need discipline, parents aren't administering it, and neither are the schools - so the rest of us are left to deal with these little problems when they become big problems.

How often do we see the grieving mother of some worthless thug who has been shot dead by the police crying into the camera "My baby, my baby, he was always such a GOOD boy........"

When in fact the "good boy" abused teachers, bullied other kids, and dropped out of school at 14 to join a gang.

NO children do not need discipline. Read my above post. Read some books. Read something.
Did you know that in tribal societies chidlren were never "disciplined" ? That means they were never beaten or yelled at. But strangely for their society it works.

For our crazy "society" children need to be "molded" to be forced into it. Please read my above post.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!
reply to post by Blaine91555

Wow o guess im an abuser and i got abused then! wow the nerve of some people. there is nothing wrong with a spanking or whippin or whatever you want to call it. lets see here if it has worked for tousands of years and it contunies to work we should now stop because of people like you. "pure unadulterated abuse"
i let you in on a little secret. i smoke too. bet you hate my guts now huh?

MessOnTheFED!

If you use a weapon to punish your children, you are not my friend. Why a powerful adult would use a weapon to punish a child is beyond me.

As to smoking. Who cares. Its legal and you only hurt yourself. I'm an ex-smoker. I smoked outdoors and never hurt anyone but me. Do all you want to yourself, just please stop physically harming those weaker than you, just because you can. Anyone who beats a child with a belt is out of control.

A pat on the bottom that does not leave a mark or injury is one thing. A weapon that leaves welts is another. It is sick at best. I watched the neighbors go through that my whole childhood. I'm in email contact with most of them today, 40 years later and they still hate their Father for being a Monster who beats children with belts. They still remember all the black eyes from his out of control tantrums. He was and is an Animal.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by pai mei

Originally posted by Retseh

NO children do not need discipline. Read my above post. Read some books. Read something.
Did you know that in tribal societies chidlren were never "disciplined" ? That means they were never beaten or yelled at. But strangely for their society it works.

For our crazy "society" children need to be "molded" to be forced into it. Please read my above post.

"Children don't need discipline".

I'll tell ya what, the punk in this little video does belong in a tribal society.

www.livevideo.com...

When I was in school during the 60's and 70's, we actually got a real education. Children stayed in their seats. They respected the adults at school. This generation of parents who coddle these kids and make them the center of the universe are going to pay hell down the road, I double garrontee it. No discipline, parents are over-indulging their brats and the lazy brats wouldn't know anything about doing any type of actual work. The whole thing turns my stomach.

I hope the teacher beat that little bstrd down.

[edit on 12-2-2009 by Bombeni]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by N. Tesla
beating a kid for no reason is wrong. but if the kid did wrong hit him. how can you explain logically to a small child that he did was wrong? hit him once and he wont do it again.

I saw a thread on this subject earlier here on ATS. The children simply hold the parents in control due to child services. The children can do whatever they desire. But if the parent as much as spanks the kid, the government is likely to charge you and take away your children.

So thanks to todays useless society, kids can't be disciplined.
Oh well, hopefully this financial crisis brings us back to the stoneage, so we can have the 60s all over again

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Some of you people are so out of touch with reality it's sad.

I have lived in Chicago for over 15 years, there are neighborhoods here that you wouldn't want to even stop for a stop sign or light for fear of your life. These kids are growing up in these environments and bring all of this baggage with them to school everyday. Now consider for a moment how frustrating it is for a teacher to get through to these kids when they are acting out all of their anger and anxiety every day. These teachers who work in the poorest under served schools have to be tough as nails to survive otherwise these kids will run all over them. You can't sweet talk and rationalize with some of these kids. Sometimes the paddle is the only language they understand, for fear is something they can relate to, understand... respect.

There is a reason for all of the incentives the school system gives teachers who will agree/contract to work with these kids... simple answer is no one wants to work with such a difficult demographic.

[edit on 12-2-2009 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by The All Seeing I
These teachers who work in the poorest under served schools have to be tough as nails to survive otherwise these kids will run all over them. You can't sweet talk and rationalize with some of these kids. Sometimes the paddle is the only language they understand, for fear is something they can relate to, understand... respect.

BUT: the paddle is illegal in Illinois. Illinois is not one of the 22 states in which corporal punishment is permitted in schools.

So we're not talking about planned-out, rational discipline meted out in a regular fashion because it's what has been found to work.

We're talking about teachers lashing out in anger and frustration against students. That is never okay. It's part of why the teachers do need to be tough as nails in that kind of environment: so that they maintain control of themselves – which is obviously a requirement for maintaining control of a classroom.

On the other hand, there are many schools in very tough areas that do just fine without corporal punishment. Self-control and self-respect in a teacher is far more important than a strong arm in the literal sense.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Agreed... but only under one condition, administration must support teachers in every means possible, to provide discipline and structure. If they leave teachers stranded with no other alternatives, other then quitting, committing suicide or going into to a comma like depression, then yes they will have to have been blessed with 'elephant skin'... if not the paddle will do the job.

As for some of these teachers going over board, they have obviously stepped over a line, but you have to recognize that these teachers take their jobs very seriously... is a very stressful, grossly under appreciated position in our society... and yet one of the most important. These teachers are only human, and most of you righteous sorts would most likely crack under what most of them have to face on a daily basis.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by N. Tesla
beating kids is a good thing. most kids today are little brats. getting everything they want. and the parents are more of friends rather then disciplinarians.

beating a kid for no reason is wrong. but if the kid did wrong hit him. how can you explain logically to a small child that he did was wrong? hit him once and he wont do it again.

OMG, man. How can't you explain logically to a child that he did wrong? Why resort to violence?

Aren't you just projecting your insecurities onto a child with such abuse? Isn't it you, that are in the wrong for not teaching your child through a non-violent means?

If a child truly respects you, which is always earned, then he will listen without violence. If he disrespects you, he may obey you in the short run, but will become devious and deceptive in the long run.

I for one find unnecessary violence a disrespectful act.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join