It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSW to be hottest place on the planet with temperatures to top 47 degrees

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

NSW to be hottest place on the planet with temperatures to top 47 degrees

www.news.com.au

NOT even the plains of Africa or the deserts of the Middle East will be as hot as New South Wales on Sunday.

The state will become the hottest place on the planet, with the current heatwave sending temperatures soaring to 47C. Worst hit will be residents in the western NSW towns of Ivanhoe, Tibooburra and Broken Hill.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.smh.com.au

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Melbourne, Australia expecting worst heatwave in 100years this week! (5 days over 105F)
WOW check out Austrailias UV index
Worst Winter Storm in 20+ years!

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
This will be probably the hottest temperature I've ever experienced while living here in Australia. 47C is the equivalent of 116.6F. For the last few weeks temps of 30 and above have been standard here in NSW, with quite a few consecutive days in Victoria reaching above 40C.

Growing up in Kentucky, I grew accustomed to hot, humid summers. I remember the temperature getting up to around 105-108 before. There we had a thing called the 'heat index' that gave an estimate as to what it felt like given the amount of humidity in the air. 116F actual temp is way the heck above that for sure.

Both my hometown in KY, as well as where I currently live in Sydney have been hit by a number of extremes over the past 12 months. Western KY has so far had to declare emergencies 3 times over the past year (tornado, remnants of Ike, and now the latest ice storm). In my 23 years growing up there, not one emergency was declared. In the recent ice storm, my parents were without power for over a week...the situation was dire to say the least. The ice buildup on every tree was between 1-2 inches. The devastation across the area is immense.

Are these events just flukes, or are they yet more proof that the weather is continuing to fluctuate further into extremes? Is this a cycle, man-made, or both?

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/2/09 by Evasius]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Australia gets hot in the summer. Afraid there's no great conspiracy! The other week Victoria had the most consecutive hot days over 40 since 1905, but that's just the luck of the draw. Next year it might be a cold summer. Who knows.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Anyone else noticing the huge weather deviations all over to world? Be it hot, cold, snow, rain, drought... Here in Texas I've been having the windiest winter I can remember. Not including Ike.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
My friend Dr. Rufus Red lived in Whales for a while, i remember him telling me ho cold it was all the time. And now its going to be that hot? Amazing!

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by YoungStalin

Wales in the UK ? or New South Wales in Australia ?

not a one liner

res

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Both, he had to move around alot after WW2.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
47degrees is sweltering, but not a huge amount warmer than typical summer temperatures in some Aussie towns.

I grew up in north NSW where it's not uncommon for it to hit the high 30's/low-mid 40's. You know it's hot when you go skating and the wheels on your skates sink into the bitumen coming off a jump hehe. In one particularly bad heatwave, it was still 39degrees at 1am in the morning. Not much fun

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by watch_the_rocks

To be fair Australia is in the midst of a severl year long drought and does appear to be being heavily affected by the changing climate. Whether this is man made or natural is another question...

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   

There indeed have been quite a few 'luck of the draw' scenarios lately. I wonder what it will take to shift these cases from the realm of coincidence to reality?

I understand that these can be attributed to natural cycles, and that our recorded history only extends so far back. I also understand that global warming is really not the full picture, as the climate does indeed seem to be changing - even the entire solar system.

The strangeness extends from Earth to the outer reaches of our solar system, where the heliosphere (the protective barrier around the system) is shrinking. This is a new occurrance and is nowhere to be found in recorded history.

There is an utterly surprising lack of sun activity where there have been very few, if any, sunspots over many months now.

www.dailygalaxy.com...

Although periods of inactivity are normal for the sun, this current period has gone on much longer than usual and scientists are starting to worry—at least a little bit. Recently 100 scientists from Europe, Asia, Latin America, Africa and North America gathered to discuss the issue at an international solar conference at Montana State University. Today's sun is as inactive as it was two years ago, and solar physicists don’t have a clue as to why.

Also, up until yesterday, they SIDC (Solar Influences Data Analysis Center) was under an 'All Quiet Alert.' It was briefly interrupted but a spurt of solar activity, and then went quickly bad to sleep.

sidc.oma.be...

These instances are confirmed as being abnormal. It only makes sense that if our surroundings are changing, then our planet will change also.

What's concerning is that if this indeed is part of a large (and normal cycle), what was the population of the planet when the last affected humanity? It most assuredly wasn't well over 6 billion. And there definitely was no major infrastructure either.

I'm concerned. My time on this planet has been miniscule (30 yrs) compared the age of the planet itself, so what do I know? All I can say is that I've never experienced such extremes, and never really thought it was anything to worry about.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Tibooburra what a great name, i love many Australian name places are they aboriginal ( or copies
). I couldn't live with that heat though, I couldnt cope with normal Australian heat consistently, I love the rain too much.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Yep I miss the rain here in Sydney. I actually miss cloudy days too. The weather's beautiful here, but too much of one thing gets monotonous.

I really hope extreme weather doesn't get 'monotonous.'

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Well I will say that last week in Melbourne, Victoria it was the hottest weather I have witnessed in my 28 year life. I think that it got to about 43-45 degrees on a couple of days.

No air con didnt help, aswell as being on the top floor of my apartment building.
Inside would have been an easy 50 degrees.

But its alot colder most of the year around anyway, we are bound to get a few hot spells over the summer period. There has'nt been much rain over the last few weeks but thats the norm aswell.

We have only been here for two hundred years. Who really knows other than the Aboriginal Tribes how hot it can get.........

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Here's a graphic from the updated article on news.com:

Sydney's the one in RED.

And they've now changed the original title to:

Weather extremes: NSW melts, Victoria burns, Queensland sinks

Also check out this picture gallery: Animals Beat the Heat

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
We've had it pretty hot here too, but not 47!

Feel so sorry for people who won't have air conditioning.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I have ducted air but recently we had a really hot day (42 degrees) on the Central Coast NSW and the air con could not cope. I had it set at a very cool 18 degrees and it struggled to keep it.

It is now 33 degrees Celsius (approx 92 Fahrenheit) in the shade here at 4.47pm.

I feel very sorry for all anyone who has not means to stay cool, or who have to work, or just be out in it for whatever reason. I especially feel for the really old people.

Good luck to us all

res

[edit on 5-2-2009 by resistancia]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I keep hearing Republican pundits on the radio talking about the discovery of this new "super-snake" and how it translates to how we must have had much hotter temperatures in the past in order for such a creature to survive. If you haven't seen this story yet, you can see it here:

Prehistoric 'monster snake' remains discovered

Based on the snake's size, the team was able to calculate that the mean annual temperature in equatorial South America 60 million years ago would have been about 91 degrees Fahrenheit, about 10 degrees warmer than today, Bloch said.

"Tropical ecosystems of South America were surprisingly different 60 million years ago," said Bloch. "It was a rainforest, like today, but it was even hotter and the cold-blooded reptiles were all substantially larger.

"The result was, among other things, the largest snakes the world has ever seen...and hopefully ever will."

What some people are now saying (like Glenn Beck for example) is that in order for it to have been much hotter in the past (to support the snake), there must be an ongoing trend of global cooling to explain it. Maybe Republicans see this as an opportunity to prove the "liberal global warming freaks" wrong.

BUT..There are a few basic problems with this theory.

1- Apparently, these same people have not seen this..
Wikipedia climate change graph - Last 500 million years

2- The snake in the afformentioned news story was living on this planet some 60 million years ago. Since the last 2.6 million year we have been in an Ice Age (also called the Quaternary glaciation).
Quaternary Glaciation

Currently we are in an interglacial period in which global temperatures are pretty much expected to rise (Interglacial periods are periods in an ice age in which a warming trend is observed).

From last link:

Currently, the earth is in an interglacial period, which marked the beginning of the Holocene epoch. The current interglacial began between 10,000 and 15,000 years ago, which caused the ice sheets from the last glacial period to begin to disappear. Remnants of these last glaciers, now occupying about 10% of the world's land surface, still exist in Greenland and Antarctica. Global warming has exacerbated the retreat of these glaciers.

3- Over the past 50 years, carbon dioxide content within our atmosphere has risen from about 315 ppm to about 385 ppm drastically affecting global temperature (as recorded at a research station in Mauna Loa, Hawaii).
Carbon dioxide content of our atmosphere - last 50 years

This figure shows the history of atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations as directly measured at Mauna Loa, Hawaii. This curve is known as the Keeling curve, and is an essential piece of evidence of the man-made increases in greenhouse gases that are believed to be the cause of global warming. The longest such record exists at Mauna Loa, but these measurements have been independently confirmed at many other sites around the world.

Most of this is probably a natural process, and perhaps the drastic warming trend we are seeing now is how the climate eventually falls off at the breaking point back into a period of global cooling (also called a glacial period with regards to the current ice age). We could actually be speeding this process up by accelerating the warming cycle in the form of dumping man-made carbon-dioxide into the atmosphere. The point is that we are in a trend of warming and all the independent data seems to confirm this.

4- Top independent, peer-reviewed research indicating that climate change is real, deadly, and caused by humans

Climatologist Michael Mann's contentious graph has become a symbol of the fierce debates on evidence for global warming, to the extent that an independent investigation into the study was performed at the request of US Congressman Joe Barton. The 2006 report that resulted from the Barton enquiry criticized Mann and colleagues for their reliance on tree-ring data from bristlecone pines as a proxy to reconstruct Northern Hemisphere temperatures over the past 1,000 years. Although their earlier work had been largely vindicated, in September the same team revised their global surface temperature estimates for the past 2,000 years, using a greatly expanded set of proxies, including marine sediments, ice cores, coral and historical documents (Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 105, 13252–13257; 2008). The team reconstructed global temperatures with and without inclusion of the tree-ring records: without their inclusion, the data showed that recent warming is greater than at any point in at least the past 1,300 years; inclusion of tree-ring data extended this period to at least 1,700 years.

-ChriS

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
As a kid in the 60s I saw 120 plus in Arizona....

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Australia's record temperatures still stand from the early 1900's.

Climate Change has nothing to do with it. It's called a heat wave, they happen.

It happened 100 years ago, and will probably happen in another 100 years from now.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Actually this year is going to be different, capital cities should expect temps in the 50 degrees range which is unheard of.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join