It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The END of Hate Speech, subtle or otherwise, on ATS

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Why are some people making this into something it clearly isn't??

We can discuss all the things that we normally do around here; no one has said that we can't.

We just can't be hateful about it. We just can't be nasty about it. We just can't insult people or degrade people or post inflammatory things about people or groups of people.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Djarums

Yes thank you. Essentially be civil.

And if an insult must be thrown in ( if I am reading Seagull correctly) make it a non-group specific one. You can say someones policies are idiotic, I guess you can even say a person is an idiot, but you cannot add any ethnic or religious flavor to the non-group specific insult.

[edit on 5-2-2009 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
This whole "no hate speech" idea sounds sort of... Canadian.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Is this discussion is being kept ISOLATED from the rest of the website..37 flags and its no where on the front page...ALIEN DONUTS with 9 flags makes the front page..Tells me the STAR & FLAG system can be manipulated to limit the discussion...What don't want everyone to COMMENT? Nice.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Oh whatever. Half of the thread are posts from people with questions and mods answering, with some thoughtful attempts by other members to clarify.

The other half of the thread seems to be devoted to "geeeeze this should be so ooooobvious. How dumb can you be." (without contributing much of value I might add) Followed by some well placed flattery to staff. If anything is unnecessarily inflating this thread, I would say it is this portion.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Some of us are trying to be helpful and clarify. But, it is a little alarming, to me at least, that some see this as so complicated.

I think some of the people who are posting here are trying to make trouble for trouble's sake (not you and some of the other sincere people with questions). But, some want to make this issue into a conspiracy in and of itself.

Those are the people I am saying "this is not as hard and as complicated as you are making it out to be" to. If I have done that to you in this thread, I do apologize.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I think that hate speech can be obvious or subtle. I think Illusionsaregrander is trying to differentiate what that means. How much is considered hate speech, where the lines are drawn.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SUNRAY06
Is this discussion is being kept ISOLATED from the rest of the website..37 flags and its no where on the front page...ALIEN DONUTS with 9 flags makes the front page..Tells me the STAR & FLAG system can be manipulated to limit the discussion...What don't want everyone to COMMENT? Nice.
You can find it at the top of the page in bold yellow letters. It's not hidden.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I'm going to have one post in this thread:

There are a number of members on this site which generalize their perceived actions of one person or group, to an entire race or nationality. That's not right. That's not how it works. It's like being judged for your hair color or something that you have nothing to do with, no control over. If you have specific examples of people who do certain things, then do the research and get the facts. If you just say "X race is evil because they are doing Y" or "Y happened because of X race" you're generalizing. And generalizing is a form of hate. It hurts people who aren't involved in the situation.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

Well, you arent helping me. I needed to hear the official take on it. Not yours.

While I appreciate your intent, your personal take on it is no better in terms of having any weight than mine is.

And, if you really want to help, it would be nice if you made a greater effort to actually read what the people you are trying to help are asking, rather than simply rephrasing what you are saying over and over. I came away from the last several attempts by you to help convinced that you did not understand what I was saying at all. And, this may be my own fault, maybe I was not clear.

Edit to add;

I really am sincere when I say I appreciate your effort. I do know you mean well. But there are some questions, policy ones, that need to be addressed by policy makers.

Further edit;

And, I am so annoyed at all the "geeeze " posts by people who see every board question thread as an opportunity to further their life long goal to becomes an ATS mod that I am becoming terse. I apologize and am retiring for the day. Cheers.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

The Flag system is supposed to move a story up and forward..HOW IS A 9 FLAG story more IMPORTANT than a 37 flag story.? Right now go back and read what I wrote again. This issue needs to be front and center 37 flags says so.

[edit on 5-2-2009 by SUNRAY06]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   

The Flag system is supposed to move a story up and forward..HOW IS A 9 FLAG story more IMPORTANT than a 37 flag story.? Right now go back and read what I wrote again. This issue needs to be front and center 37 flags says so.

Well this is just a guess, but I think it is for the same reasons you can't star posts here. I may be wrong.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SUNRAY06

How much more front and center do you want it?

Trust me, everyone knows.

And btw B&BQ threads never make it in the "home" page by definition.

[edit on 5 Feb 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Yeah.

I don't think topics in the Board Business and Questions forum show up on the front page, no matter how many flags they have.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Can we still hate child molesters, terrorists, murderers, and rapists? Or do these groups have to be treated with respect also?

Just wondering?

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Can we still hate child molesters, terrorists, murderers, and rapists? Or do these groups have to be treated with respect also?

Just wondering?

Governmental policy determines that yes they must be treated with respect while they are incarcerated, but that is usually in a minimal way. Basic needs and such.
You can hate anything you want imo. Using the word terrorist may become a sensitive term in the future. The rest are pretty commonly hated and disliked in general.
Terrorist is not as clearly defined. It needs to be.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
THANK you!! I'm relatively new around here and I love all the great info here. I can also learn a lot here, however, there were times that I considered deleting my account because the hate and bigotry was making me sick. Thank you so much. ATS is indeed a great place.

Best Regards to all.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
reply to post by Djarums

Yes thank you. Essentially be civil.

And if an insult must be thrown in ( if I am reading Seagull correctly) make it a non-group specific one. You can say someones policies are idiotic, I guess you can even say a person is an idiot, but you cannot add any ethnic or religious flavor to the non-group specific insult.

Exactly. You can say "I think Political Party X's decisions are misguided and they need to consider that the world isn't made up of Just Them." I'd be careful about labeling people idiots -- there are far better words ("they really don't seem to understand the heart of this issue at all" is a much better choice.)

And yes, no blanket statements about groups. If I think about it, I could come up with people that I think are uninformed in just about any clique or town or country (and more) that you can name -- but it's wrong to label every single one of them with a slur just because you have unpleasant associations with some of them.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   

I think you could post this as a question in the discussion area of the board, and we'd be glad to talk about it. Right now we're focused on the topic of civility and respect.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I guess this means I'll have to be nicer to vegans now.

Really, folks, I don't think the policy is all that complicated.

Respectfully disagree and you miss the HATE speech mark by a million miles. Nothing to worry or deliberate over. It's that simple.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join