It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Mind Over Matter Trick (video)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Aw Rev, here you go again.

Rev, I think what that guy is trying to say is that the use of the term 'Mind Over Matter' often has certain ideas attached to it, however accurate. So when you hold a cherry for a few seconds it ultimately ends up falling short of the professed title and hype.

And honestly, no one here could tell if you were burned or not because the video isn't clear enough to tell.

However, it is still quite the feat. One little spark off a cigarette hurts to get hit by, much less the whole cherry.

Woo!

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by GreyFoxSolid

Actually, if you hold your fingers on an ice cube until it's numb, then try this trick... it will not burn you. It takes a certain temperature to burn and since your fingers are already cooled it will never reach that temperature in a few seconds. You can do this in the palm of your hand as well...

Sorry...

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
It's called "ICE"...

Just rub an ice cube on your fingers or the palm of your hand until it's close to being numb, then put the cigarette out in that area and.... Walla! NO BURN.

Simple physics... Old trick! Used to do this in bars about 20 years ago...

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by x2Strongx

I don't use that trick.

I do it with my mind.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Yeah... I believe that...

Have to prove it to get my "star" around here.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Here ya go.

So, No fingers burnt, no ice trick.

Round 2.

[edit on 4-2-2009 by Revolution-2012]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Wow! I stand corrected you truly are some sort of super disciplined master of the zen art of usless cigarette cherry holding by blocking out the burn with your mind. I saw a look of total concentracion. I am realy. I should have never doubted you jedi mind tricks. By the way how do you parents feel about you smoking, you know it's bad for you and can make you break out right. I see I am now one of your foe's I will wear that badge proudly. Side note the definition I posted ealier was from the same page as the info you pulled. I know I am unedjucated though Thank you for the correction.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by x2Strongx

BTW that Ice trick would only be effective for up to 30 seconds max.

So, your theory fails, also, even if you have frostbite, and you put a cigarette out on a near frozen limb, the tissue will still be damaged.

You need to get your facts right.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Revolution-2012

Give me a break man
I do this all the time. Through years of hard work my hands have calloused to the point I can not only hold a cherry in my fingers but put a cigarette out by pinching the cherry between my two fingers. Stop looking for attention there's nothing special about your mind over matter trick.
Now if you could light the cigarette with the power of your mind then I'll say you have a gift.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by BeyondBelow

My mother is dead, and my father is in California.

And, it doesn't matter how they feel. I'm 20 smart one.

Plus, just because you can't do something doesn't mean you have to try and attempt to deglorify it. It's fun to do, my friends love it. It's a form of magic, but it uses real magic. Mind over matter.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by highfreq

That's exactly what I've done. Although it takes some serious mental training.

Also, I'm not looking for attention. Give me a break.

If I was looking for attention I'd run about making ridiculous claims about the anti-christ and 2012.

This is something that many people cannot do, and I've never met anyone else that can do it.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   

It's a form of magic, but it uses real magic. Mind over matter.

Again. No it's not. You start a thread stating that you can achieve mind over matter, when there are a multitude of logical and physical explanations for what you have shown us.

That's exactly what I've done. Although it takes some serious mental training.

So at 20 years of age you have worked your hands to the point of developing callous. Impressive. But I assure you holding a burning cherry of a cigarette in your hand for 3-4 seconds is not mind over matter.

It's fun to do, my friends love it

Exactly my point. your friends love it so you do it to get attention just like wstarting this thread claiming you have some special ability.

[edit on 4-2-2009 by highfreq]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
He does it way better than you!!!

Peace

Oh I didnt even think of that. That has to be the ultimate example of mind over matter.

That guy didnt even flench after lighting himself on fire in protest.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by highfreq

It has no genuine scientific explanation.

The difference between walking on fire and holding a burning cherry consists of the following.

1) The burning embers have space inbetween them, and are not flat red hot. (as in a slab of pure coal.)

2) Motion.

I am utilizing neither of these, and am still able to focus away the pain.

I can't doubt your skepticism, although, it is mind over matter, reason I say so -- Try it yourself.

I didn't start the callouse in one day, and the first time I tried it I didn't get burned.

Once again, there is a very easy way to prove me wrong, and it's the exact same thing you're attempting to utilize against me, science.

You know what science is? Something you can do yourself. So therefore, go do it yourself, and prove me wrong.

Once again, you can't and you won't. Therefore, there is no proof on your part.

It involves utilizing pyschological changes in ones self, it involves focusing the energy of the cherry away from my fingers. The science behind that is more complicated than a simple callouse.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Nothing interesting here, sorry I used to play a version of this with friends when I was in high school we'd light a cig and place our forearms together dorpping the cig between them to see who would move first. It got to the point where we'd actually burn the cig out I still have scars IMO it's not mind over matter it's just a pain tollerence thing.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

Yeah, it is a pain tolerance thing, very much so, however not all the way.

You got scarred.

I have no burn marks from this.

My fingers are flawless, except for being a little calloused. The skin underneath the callouse was never burnt, from when I first figured out I could do this with a little concentration.

Now, I did get burnt, the first few times I tried, but I kept going at it until one day I was able to feel no pain when I put it inbetween my fingers. My fingers we not burnt at the time either. And there was no callouse yet.

I would enjoy seeing anyone else do this, without getting burnt.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Calloused skin can take more damage without showing, that's why vested chef's can handle hot pans without " getting burnt" our skin is an amazing organ.
And I doubt anybody will do anything similar for your enjoyment.

[edit on 4-2-2009 by alyosha1981]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

yeah, but my skin is barely calloused.

Also, when I first started doing it, it wasn't calloused at all. It durnt burn my deeper skin layers either, it overtime calloused the very outer skin layer.

I can also deal with hot pans, but I use speed not callouse. I can flip my meat with my fingers if I'm pan frying and touch the pan, but only for a split second. Oil tends to get me every now and then.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Point is that even "a little calloused" is still calloused, it's our skin's way of protecting us from damage as best as it can.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
This works because the ashes around the burning part of the cigarette protect your fingers from the heat for a moment, the same way the layer of ash over a bed of coals protects the feet. I'm sorry to say you don't have super powers.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join