It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The bible – god’s word or mans?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia
reply to post by zysin5

I'm so sick of both extremes I could puke.

Yeah tell me about it..
I belive there is a large middle ground.. But those on the extream sides don't see any grey.. They see all black, or all white..

Thats what Im talking about..

So I suggest you save your thoughts about me.. Until you take the time to know just how open minded I am..
Really.. Im not how you are painting me..

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
The believers cant understand why a non believer rejects the existence of God. And the non believers cant understand why someone could believe in a God.

A non believer uses his personal feelings and knowledge to confront the existence of God. If this person cant feel anything,the knowledge he poses wont make sense. If he cant feel God. God cant be real.

And this is the argument we always see in debates.

How can a non believer ever know how God feels like! All this person has to go on is the words put in a book. This person needs facts,proof to state a belief or a trust.

A believer uses his feelings and knowledge to teach or learn the words put in the book. We do it based on what we feel is right.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by zysin5

I'm not painting you at all. I'm just responding to the specific statements. I'm not the kind of person who thinks in terms of people when posting here, so much as I am looking at the individual posts.

Meaning, I am not responding to you as a person, I am responding to what you say.

Obviously over time and talking with the same persons thoughts it becomes a bit more personal in nature, but in general I am still talking about the things being said.

I am disagreeing with the opinion, I am not disagreeing with the person or their right to believe what they want. Basically, don't take what I say personal.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by zysin5

Originally posted by miriam0566
i mean i entered into this thread thinking that there might be something to debate about. instead the argument surmounted to ¨bible says you can eat rabbits, how ridiculous is that!¨

if you are going to ask me to question my beliefs, at least give me a good question.

He is talking about Leviticus! And the fact that its in the bible. Some people take the word of the bible litterally! Such as those who over and over again cherry pick at Leviticus.
They will claim how wrong it is for gays to be themselfs. Yet they never bring up the part about the rabit, and 2 different cloths.

my statement stands.

leviticus refers specifically to aspects of the law. both moral law and ceremonious, just because a person chooses to follow those statutes doesnt mean they are stupid or incapable. christian or jewish.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Made by man Moses made it he was a messaged of god. One of his prophets. God has has own text.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Man.

Man.
Man.
Man.

MAN !

Enough of the God Posts.
There are websites for people like that.

First World was MAN.
Second World was MAN.
Third World was MAN.
THIS World is MAN.
The NEXT World will be MAN.

King Solomon (aka Pharaoh Siamun) said that Jesus brings man to more superstition.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Wars has been fort over Jesus god must of new this. Nut he never so jesus was a lie

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kyoto111
Wars has been fort over Jesus god must of new this. Nut he never so jesus was a lie

Jesus actually warns of this kind of stuff directly.

Matthew 7

20Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

24Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

25And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

26And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

27And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

28And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine:

29For he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.

So am I to make my decisions about Jesus based on the things people have done in his name? Or should I make my decisions based on what Jesus actually says? I personally make mine based on what Jesus says, and rebuke those who do such things in his name.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kyoto111

War is a science so technically speaking science has and will kill more people than religion.

Not that I'm a big fan of religion....

Revelation is a manifestation, it is a thing of the spirit, some one is receiving and speaking it somewhere everyday..

Sometimes its prophecy as foretold sometimes its not..

You don't believe people receive revelation from God do you?

I know what you are saying but you don't understand me.

Revelation has nothing to do with religion not the way I practice it..

The bible was not written for the believer it was written for the unbeliever like is the case with a person who adopts a religion, in the same way the law was not written for the lawful but the lawless.

What does God have to do with the bible and religion, or any kind of church?

----------------

Today's installment from WIG'N ( What Is God Network )

WIG'N #NO 18 Title: Touching God
/ae54w3

-----------------------

[edit on 3-2-2009 by newday]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Does the qua-ran warn this NO because it is the 3rd testerment. So Muhammad wrote the qua-ran not god. God may have gave him the idears. The merger thing it warned is ww3 like the bible.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by miriam0566

I always give up on these kinds of debates.. As this is not my thing to tell others what to belive or how to belive it..

You slipped out from answering my question.. And I bet you wont give me a straight answer either. But lets try one more time here..

Do you belive the bible is the absolute word of God?

Or do you give it some room to say.. Well maybe man kinda slipped in a whole bunch of stuff in there?

Yet, by your post, that means you support Fred Phelps then right?
You do not find anything stupid about the man or his little hate group?

So you support Christians like Phelps family?

Sorry there.. Its where I draw the line. There are good people and bad people.
I dont need a book to tell me how to be a "good" person.
Some do. I don't.

How some feel about Fred Phelps.

they're christians after all) they still have as much right as anyone to express their views.

Okay they are Christians. And they have as much right as anyone to express their views.. More like express hate to others.
But again.. This thread is not about Phelps.. but more about Lev. Which is suppose to be some "moral" Law.
WHy becasue God said so.. Or man.. I don't get it..

[edit on 3-2-2009 by zysin5]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Phelps family? I don't know them/

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Kyoto111

Here you go.. Click on the link and get ready to explore what Im talking about...
You will have to google them too..
They took down the youtube videos.. Thankfully, they made me sick..
Also note.. Fred Phelps just loves to quote leviticus! Its their favorit verse!
THEY love leviticus!
And thats why I belive anyone who belives in that verse is honestly stupid! Not only stupid, but down right hateful and evil!!!

Try out their website.. www.Godhatesfags.com
Yeah.. nice name huh?
They are based on the rule of the bible.. And say the bible is the word of God.. So you know what you are getting into..
They are the people who go around and picket dead USA warriors.. With signs such as Thank GOD for IED's.
God hates our Troops.
Troops are F#GS!
You know.. The typical rants of STUPID AHOLES!

Granted in this thread.. I will not debate if there is or is not a God.. I belive in my own way.. But man wrote the book.. God did not write the bible.. thats what is being debated here..

Man wrote it to help forge law. and a moral compass..

It may seem odd to belive in a God.. But I belive.. In my own way.. I don't need a book written by controling men to tell me how to live a good life.
Is it not comman sense not to kill?
Yet how many souls die in the name of GOD?

Crazy.. Crazy.. Crazy.. Yet I still have faith.. But in my own way..

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
God has no religion people try to get closer to him by worshiping him. But the moving away so no religion is right unless gods logic is floured.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
God has no religion people try to get closer to him by worshiping him. But the moving away so no religion is right unless gods logic is floured.
am browsing through your site

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Do you belive the bible is the absolute word of God?

Or do you give it some room to say.. Well maybe man kinda slipped in a whole bunch of stuff in there?

Yet, by your post, that means you support Fred Phelps then right?
You do not find anything stupid about the man or his little hate group?

So you support Christians like Phelps family?

Sorry there.. Its where I draw the line. There are good people and bad people.
I dont need a book to tell me how to be a "good" person.
Some do. I don't.

your questions are loaded, and you know it. but ill answer them anyway.

¨Do you belive the bible is the absolute word of God?¨

in some instances yes, in some it is merely ïnspired. books like genesis 1, most of daniel and revelations are visions shown to men, men simply wrote what they saw. the psalms is mostly poetry written in song but it contains elements that had to have been inspired, however they are not direct dictation. some books like kings and chronicles, the gospels, they are simply history, recording of events

books like numbers, duet., and lev. however have parts that are direct dictation from god.

do i agree with phelps?

no. christians are no part of this world, they have no business telling people who arent christian how they should live. yes they have a commission to preach (keyword: preach) not impose beliefs through rallies or political means.

now for the loaded part... do i think being a homosexual is ¨ok¨?

no. whether a homosexual is born that way or not is not consequential. some babies are born blind, or without limbs, or maybe handicapped, that does NOT mean that god ment them to be that way.

god has the right to set rules for his creation. he´s perfectly within is rights to determine how things like sex and marriage should be.

the bible is not about telling people how to be a ¨good person¨, its about learning the way that god wants you to be.

what does this imply?

it implies that those who choose the believe the things written in the bible stop doing what they want, and start doing things the way god want´s.

dont like it? that fine, dont have to. keep serving god the way you want. im not going to tell you to change.

does my disagreement with homosexuality mean i hate them? not at all. the bible tells me that everyone is a sinner. for me (a sinner) to condemn another (also a sinner) is pointless and hypocritical.

this all besides the fact that homosexuals are not worse than any other sinner.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by miriam0566

Hey thanks for your honest reply. As much as it may want to make my skin crawl, and my stomach twist with your words.. Your welcome to have those feelings.

Yet I will not allow this to go any further.. You have made your point.. I have made mine.. Best of luck to you in your life.

Yet you totally missed the idea that some people like me are born with both sexes.. Yet no verse in the bible Address souls like me. I ask you no more questions.. Thanks for your time.
I am neither gay or straight.. I just am. And many many more like me comming to this earth to teach, and open the eyes of those who are blinded by such things as the bible. It doesnt have all the answers. NOT even close.

A hermaphrodite is a person who possesses the sexual organs of both male and female. The Bible does not address hermaphroditism. Therefore, it is difficult to doctrinally ascertain the Lord's position about them. Nevertheless, what are we to make of hermaphrodites?in the case of hermaphroditism, the identity of the individual is still intended by God to be one or the other.

Its simply arrogant to think any man or woman knows what God meant us to be other than ourselfs. Such arrogant thinking is why so much and so many people are hurt by religion. Down right hurtful to think man has the right to tell anyone what God thinks or why he made us the way God did.
Arrogant, and deep with ignorance.
Yet you where honest and thats all I could ask of anyone.. So I don't want to twist your words.. Or put feelings into you..
Yet its very arrogant. And I guess thats why you said it was a loaded question. Yet I don't recall ever asking you how you felt about homosexuals.. I only asked if you felt the bible was the word of God or man. I didn't ask you about homosexuals.. So you put yourself out there with that.. And you loaded that question yourself.. I could care less about that issue.. As I stated.. Im much different than most.. And Im more than happy with that.
I have to stop now.. Or I will keep going and going.. I tend to get off topic.
When speaking about such issues.. Man made or Word of God directly.

Man made all the way.. IN no way is God that arrogant!

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Hey thanks for your honest reply. As much as it may want to make my skin crawl, and my stomach twist with your words..

thants because you look at people like phelps and you get this impression that that is a christian. phelps is not a christian.

christians are told to love their enemy. enemies are much worse than homosexuals because enemies try to hurt you, yet jesus says to love them, not to judge them. does what phelps does look like love to you? phelps is not a christian despite claiming to be, case closed.

Yet you totally missed the idea that some people like me are born with both sexes.. Yet no verse in the bible Address souls like me. I ask you no more questions.. Thanks for your time.
I am neither gay or straight.. I just am. And many many more like me comming to this earth to teach, and open the eyes of those who are blinded by such things as the bible. It doesnt have all the answers. NOT even close.

i am gay. was i born with it or no? i dont know. but i choose to follow the bible. if you are coming to un¨blind¨ people about the bible, then learn what the bible says a why, dont operate on assumptions based on jackasses like phelps.

Its simply arrogant to think any man or woman knows what God meant us to be other than ourselfs. Such arrogant thinking is why so much and so many people are hurt by religion. Down right hurtful to think man has the right to tell anyone what God thinks or why he made us the way God did.
Arrogant, and deep with ignorance.

i 100% agree, the bible doesnt mention hermaphrodites, noone has the right to say anything on the topic.

Yet its very arrogant. And I guess thats why you said it was a loaded question. Yet I don't recall ever asking you how you felt about homosexuals.. I only asked if you felt the bible was the word of God or man. I didn't ask you about homosexuals.. So you put yourself out there with that.. And you loaded that question yourself.. I could care less about that issue.. As I stated.. Im much different than most.. And Im more than happy with that.

its a loaded question because it inevitably comes up in discussions like these.

Man made all the way.. IN no way is God that arrogant!

if the bible is written by god, and he says that homosexuality is wrong, how does that make him arrogant? if you dont mind me asking.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
God's word or man's?

I would have to say that it is a bit of both. The Bible is a collected work, written by many authors and containing various forms of literature. These forms of literature include history, theological teaching, poetry, allegory, philosophe, and prophecy. It is up to the reader to use discernment to understand what they are reading and what is it's purpose.

Should it be taken as literal or figurative? The answer is both, depending on which parts you are reading. Anybody who cannot figure out which parts are literal and which are figurative obviously needs help with their reading comprehension skills.

Also, I have to laugh at people who equate someone like Fred Phelps with all of Christianity. That is as laughable as people who think the Catholic Church represents all of the Christian faith. The truth of the matter is that Christianity is a bit more eclectic than the antireligious critics give it credit for.

I laugh even harder at people who think Christianity is some big oppressive force that is about to swoop down on the world and take away everybody's rights to whatever it is that they think we're trying to take away from them. Oh sure, there are some Christians who try to have an effect on the politcal landscape. But seeing as how evolution instead of creation is taught in public schools, and abortion is very much legal, I would say they have been largely unsuccessful and will continue to be so. Besides, most Christians who have studied Biblical prophecy know quite well that there will be nothing that resembles a Christian theocracy until Christ himself returns to establish it. Until that day comes, your secular progressive society will remain as such. So relax and enjoy yourself while there is still time.

[edit on 2/3/2009 by Lightmare]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by zysin5

Deleted by personal request

[edit on 3-2-2009 by Blue_Jay33]

[edit on 3-2-2009 by Blue_Jay33]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join