It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Population Control "A License to Breed"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Let me first make something clear. My political position is independent with views that lean towards libertarian. I don't like government intervention in nearly anything. However, I see this as a potential problem in the future that will likely be unresolved in the hands of the masses. I wanted to get the good people of ATS's perspective on this idea.

It seems in many countries (including the US) we have people who are out of work, or in extreme cases, starving on the streets... but that doesn't stop them from having 10... 20... etc children. This could be for many reasons including cultural, traditional, or even financial (in the US, more kids = more welfare, in less fortunate countries, more kids = more respect/more family workers to bring in money). But is this really a good thing for the children or even the country? Especially as the years pass and global overpopulation becomes a problem.

What if our society required a "license to breed". I propose a license be given based on very simple criteria of standards: mental, physical, and financial.
Mental: A brief psychological exam to determine if the applicant(s) are psychologically fit to have children, in regards to mental stability and understanding the responsibilities involved
Physical: This one is pretty easy. Testing the applicant and educating them of the risks involved physically
Financial: Does the applicant have the financial means to support a child

If you fit all of these criteria, then you could have your child.

Here's the sticky part. If you DO NOT have a license and you become pregnant anyway... I am still unsure about this situation. I have a few ideas but I'd like to hear yours before I share.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I just don't see why people need to have more than 6 kids ever unless it's an accident or twins or something.

[edit on 2/2/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I am pleased to have a simple response for you.

No.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   

I am pleased to have a simple response for you. No.

no as in, "no, we shouldn't have a measure of population control", or "no, we shouldn't be having that many babies."

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Avarus

I think your ideas are very draconian and should not be implemented.

However 2 things should happen:

A limit on the numbers of embreos that can be impanted in a woman seeking IVF, as Miss 14 shows us.

I think doctors should also be able to opt out of this procedure if they do not ocnsider the woman to be healthy enough--mentally or physically.

Two, welfare benefits shoudl NOT increase with each extra child; they could increase mediocrally if the applicant continually uses BC.

I am also not opposed to the idea of courts ordering women who have been brought up on hard drug charges to use birth control.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Good idea about the drug charges.
Birth control pills are really inexpensive. My mom actually said that she thinks we should just put it in the water.

But then people will go drink bottled water and have 18 kids like those people on TLC.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Please define the following terms with definitions that EVERYONE can agree on:

1. psychologically fit
2. physically capable
3. financially qualified

Until you can define these things, you can't enforce these things.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Again with the people on here who think that the PTB are evil, and yet come up with this.

I wonder when you guys will clue in that you ARE the PTB. And crappola like this proves it.

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
reply to post by asmeone2

Good idea about the drug charges.
Birth control pills are really inexpensive. My mom actually said that she thinks we should just put it in the water.

But then people will go drink bottled water and have 18 kids like those people on TLC.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Hmm, what if there were a way to implement a form of birth control from nearly birth, until you either felt you were ready and/or are determined to be fit, then it is removed. Something like an IUD. I'm not talking about very strict guidelines to gain this right. I just think some structure would prevent most unwanted/necessary births.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
You want to be allowed to invade other people's torsos.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Avarus

IUDs have pretty nasty side effects, including cramps in most cases, and they can often lead to infection.

I don't know much about torsos but I don't think it's fair to the gene pool that dumb people have tons of kids and responsible people only have a couple.

Luckily when all that evolution comes through, I'll be long gone.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound
Please define the following terms with definitions that EVERYONE can agree on:

1. psychologically fit
2. physically capable
3. financially qualified

Until you can define these things, you can't enforce these things.

I'm curious of what you think. Here's my personal take:
1) If the parents understand all of the responsibilities that come with having a child by attending a series of parenthood classes and passing a standardized responsibility test
2) If the woman is physically able to have a child without causing physical harm to herself or the baby.. then she passes the physical parameter.
3) If the family can provide adequate financial information to show a regular income, etc (not unlike applying for a loan)

Like I said, not difficult to apply and pass.. just some very basic structure.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Apparently the dumb haven't fallen victim to pure self-defeating personal hatred.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
reply to post by Avarus

IUDs have pretty nasty side effects, including cramps in most cases, and they can often lead to infection.

I don't know much about torsos but I don't think it's fair to the gene pool that dumb people have tons of kids and responsible people only have a couple.

Luckily when all that evolution comes through, I'll be long gone.

lol, I'm not suggesting IUDs, I'm just using it as an example.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
An example of you wanting to control the fertile population to further your own ideals?

Forced Pharm, or surgery and implants. To control the fertile population.

In better news, then everyone will have to completely obey or die out.

You want to literally control another person's organs. Inject them with drugs. Implant them with objects into their abdomens. Or remove parts of their organs.

Sterilize them until you deem them fit to your cultural standard.

Obey, and pay. Or die out.

[edit on 2009/2/3 by Aeons]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Then people that wear glasses people that are hard of hearing or amputees or have diabettes sorry cant spell .But were do you stop .Now you see the problem.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I agree..... NO reason for people to be breeding so out of control in this day and age.
I mean seriously, are these breeders really thinking that humans are on the verge of extinction and can only be saved if they personally take it upon themselves to populate the world?

Simpy, anyone who cannot afford kids, should not have kids. NO welfare for the irresponsible breeders. NONE. We have encouraged breeding for long enough.

If people can afford kids, well that should be up to them how many they can seriously pay for and provide attention for.

Another thing. Public schools should now ONLY be paid for by those with kids that use said schools.

I am sick of paying for other peoples' offspring.

(Maybe sarcastic, maybe not..)
EDIT: Typos

[edit on 3-2-2009 by LostNemesis]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Avarus

LOL what your talking about is Eugenics. I don't think I need to say it but I will... Eugenics is not a good thing

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I think you're sensationalizing my suggestion just a bit aeons. Just because we require a simple eyesight test and proficiency test to drive a motor vehicle, that doesn't mean we're forcing anyone to do anything.

Consider this, maybe it's not a cultural standard, maybe it's a personal standard. What if the system is set up so that if YOU feel as though you're ready to bear a child, then all you have to do is have the birth control device removed.

It's truly an open discussion. I'm just curious about what people would do to combat global overpopulation. In a potential future scenario, you go to buy your food and you find they've run out for this week because the huge mass of hungry people already grabbed everything up... will you have the same position? Would you wish we had done something about it before it got to that point?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I'm sick of listening to the people who are going to suck on the teat of my children's work later complain about how they have to pay for education and roads.

There is NO reason for the childless to take out their self-hatred on the rest of the world. None.

Originally posted by LostNemesis
I agree..... NO reason for people to be breeding so out of control in this day and age.
I mean seriously, are these breeders really thinking that humans are on the verge of extinction and can only be saved if they personally take it upon themselves to populate the world?

Simpy, anyone who cannot afford kids, should not have kids. NO welfare for the irresponsible breeders. NONE. We have encouraged breeding for long enough.

If people can afford kids, well that should be up to them how many they can seriously pay for and provide attention for.

Another thing. Public schools should now ONLY be paid for by those with kids that use said schools.

I am sick of paying for other peoples' offspring.

(Maybe sarcastic, maybe not..)
EDIT: Typos

[edit on 3-2-2009 by LostNemesis]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join