It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*California officially out of money*

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
:shk: It is sad that even the Terminator can't save them.

California government has only itself to blame. they should have been well aware that tough times were ahead before they ever did their fiscal budget. Guess they thought Hollywood would bail them out.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
What do you want to bet that "Bank Holiday" is somewhere in this plan:

Treasury to lay out bank plan next week

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Having lived in LA I have zero sympathy for California. They are the most tax heavy state and are just a dysfunctional mess.

The only solution I see it to cut the size of the govt services and govt by 80%.

So much waste its not funny to ignore.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cloudsinthesky
Attempting to keep this thread alive..........Anyone in California want to comment on what people are saying there. Is it in the news? Local papers?

There are some radio talk shows I suppose. There is this talk show in the So Cal area that seem to really rip into the government about the budget and illegals. They also seem to be pretty vocal.

The Daily News in the L.A. area should have a few articles.

The problem is that most people don't care at this point. We will just have to wait for a real default to occur and watch what happens when the unemployment checks, welfare, along with state paychecks turn to IOU's. People will care REAL fast then.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Will the last non-Mexican leaving California, please turn out the lights.

Illegals being educated, having their medical and hospital bills paid, transportation, and legal services to illegal lawbreakers starts to add up after a while.

Any business which has a good product and good business model must be looking to get out.

Now California is spreading their misery by requiring emission and mileage standards that will cost another $8,000 to $12,000 per vehicle, and by default, will require the rest of us to buy in.

Give Southern California back to Mexico, and build a strong fence.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by wutone

I realize that presidents can essentially declare national security on a strike or work dispute that threatens to unravel into a national crisis, effectively forcing striking employees back to work while contract disputes are worked on. However, these situations where this has been threatened have always involved these workers still recieving pay. I have two questions...

1. Can the governor do the same thing on the state level? If state employees start getting IOUs and decide to walk, does he have the power to block them and order them back to work?

2. Can it be applied in a situation where they're working without pay? I have little doubt that if it can be applied, it will be... either by Schwartzenegger or by Obama if the governor lacks that power, in the name of national security. The question is, if that occurs, how long until total anarchy and rebellion breaks out in California? I can't envision any worker tollerating being forced to work without compensation every 2 weeks.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cloudsinthesky
Attempting to keep this thread alive..........Anyone in California want to comment on what people are saying there. Is it in the news? Local papers?

It was on the local news last night - IOUs and the such.
There were also an unusual amount of ads for the Armed Services. I was cringing. They are making it look like a pretty good deal.

Todays front page of the LA Times was
yesterdays most important news (not)
the Super Bowl.

In the California section there is a tiny bit of talk in regards to immigration and it's effect on the whole budget issue. Send "them" away... would it help?

Mostly it is the news as we have come to know it.
Not Real News.

[edit on 2-2-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I blame a lot of it on the Tree huggers all this environmental crap we get taxed up the keister then try going to hiking areas and all,you'll be paying more money out,or try going offroading in Riverside Co,and get caught and pay steep fines,if it wasn't for the fact we have the best weather in the US,I would have done like my oldest son and move to Arizona,for my kids to buy a home for 1st time They need a large down payment and high income,I'm real close to packing up and moving to Arizona,be cause the older I get the less tolerant I've become,I'll sure miss the beaches ,but to be honest I grew up a few blocks away from the ocean,and I can always come to visit,even if California did slide into the ocean would still be a beach somewhere

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
They seen this comming ! California is just the starting point. I think everyone should start looking in their own backyards! There are alot of state's running out of cash and will be soon to follow. It's too far gone for the goverment to do anything about it accept to be prepared for it. Why do you think your hearing civil-unrest plastered everywere and soldiers policing the U.S. Not war mongering or trying scare anyone and neither is the goverment. They know how crazy the sheeple get when their perfect world is turned upside down.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Well that what happens when you elect an admirator of nazis and an actor for governor.. and that your overall policies and government size is near communism.

I know that 46 states are in real danger of defauting this year or in 2010, but what state will be next? Arizona?

Arizona is supposed to run out of money within a maximum of 4 months.

2009 will be awful.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Just another sign of how badly our voted officials have SCREWED IT ALL UP, Thanks Ahhhhnold you surely have screwed up the state worse than Gray Davis and nobodys recalling The Governator, Go Figure!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
See we are on our way to liquidating the U.S. dolalr and they will introduce Electronic Credit system and tell everyone it will save the day and everyone will buy right into it!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

The L.A. riots broke out because many people thought they were being disenfranchised.

If millions of unemployed and welfare recipients don't get their checks, people are going to feel the same way they felt during the riots. This time, much of the anger won't be as localized.

Are people going to work without pay? I don't know. I know that a lot of people drive an hour or 2 just to get to work and have a lot of bills, it will be kind of rough for even a short time.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
hey buddy,

States are coming in left and right and claiming they are broke. There is no stopping this now as California today just announced they are bankrupt! The Union is bankrupt..period....

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Dbriefed

Maybe California could ask for the 1.8 billion dollars back that Obama has just given Pakistan.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Hell we should all get a bailout!!!Screw it..

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I knew it was time to move out of California when we decided to elect a man who pledged to "Terminate taxes" (no Joke). The bed has been made, time to lie in it.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Here's a link for latest news on California State Cash Deferral Plan (I have bad luck with links on ATS though...):

news.google.com... _mind=26&as_minm=1&as_maxd=2&as_maxm=2&nolr=1

[edit on 2-2-2009 by Dbriefed]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
It is times like these when I am thankful that our politicians in Texas only meet every two years. At least they don't have the opportunity to screw things over year round like they do in Cali and other states..

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Here was a warning article from Friday this would happen.

www.ocregister.com...

Friday, January 30, 2009
Cash deferrals from state will start Sunday
State Controller calls for quick action.
By CHRIS DAINES
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

State Controller John Chiang warned Friday that he will begin withholding tax refunds and vendor payments on Sunday or else California will lose its ability to borrow money.

"Nobody will lend to the state of California today because we have a $42 billion deficit and we have no sound plan by the legislature or the governor," Chiang said at an economic luncheon in Dana Point.

Chiang said he has been forced to make painful decisions to help keep the state afloat while the legislature fights over the budget.

"On Sunday, February 1, I will have to start deferrals," he said. "It is too late for the governor and the legislature to take significant action to remedy the fact that I have to start the deferral process."...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join