It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it time to ditch the bible?

page: 31
<< 28  29  30   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by slymattb

you, sir,have your head on right! the beginning of time and the ability of humans to have imagination, emotions and need for others to hang-out with is addressed in only one place.

plus, back in the cowboy days, they read the book and where it says israel will become a nation again must have made them dream of the day!
no idea that it could happen to some generation so soon...

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thistled
I know this will probably upset a few people and I apologise for this....

Is it not time to ditch the bible?

When your read some of the passages in Leviticus, it makes you wonder and indeed question 'the word of God'.

Some will argue, the book of Leviticus is ancient, and reflects the society of the time. It all kinda changed after A.D.

But seriously, disobedient children should be killed, disabled people not allowed in the temple of God, if you are ill, or have a skin condition you are not welcome in the temple of God. There is so much in the book of Leviticus that is jaw dropping. Damn right nasty, and mostly unacceptable in todays world.

Ditch the bible - it's quite nasty, and it adds fuel to the fire of hatred and discrimination. No place for that in todays world.

Remamber Thy Faith. . .Man Wrote The Bible, Their Are Many B T W, "like you have not noticed" But CHRIST Came For Us, And The Bibles Speak Of That, A Fool Would Throw Away Something That Has helped man to prosper. . .so man likes to use it for his own reasons. . .not my fault, I have learned form Mans mistakes for i have made my own. . .I would Just Read It More Instead of Throwing it out. . .but i am a man. . .I make my choices. . .Love Ya.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpm06002
without the bible there is no hope

also it would be nice if you quoted the passages where it says such things since those quotes are essentially your whole argument.

So by definition you have no faith in your own self, but only in a book? Curious take, I will tell you. And one thing I can't stand is for people to blindly post Bible quotes all over a thread, and not one thought from their little heads. This makes me wonder, as some things do, if Christians are really mind controlled, and unable to think for themselves at all? I asked a Christian in another thread to post his own thoughts, and that was four days ago. Guess he didn't have any thoughts of his own after all. Well, friend, I will always have Hope, Faith, and Charity, and do not need any book, nor any religion, nor any made up deity to give me these things I have already. I also have the Holy Spirit already too, you all do not have a lock on it. And the way you all parade around that only if one follows your depiction of God, that is the only way to have Spirit, and to avoid Hell. Well, I am here to say that is not a good way to go. Living in fear never is.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
People should believe in themselves more, and listen to truth, "Knowledge can be beautiful and as well destructive, i know as well as you and the next, wisdom will free you from your own self and our stupid ways," again believe in yourself, and KEEP THE FAITH. or do not you weregivein free will as much as the next some choose poorly some choose wisely, other let other make choices for them, "JUST KNOW I LOVE YOU FOR YOU ALL OF YOU" and care, but not like thenext if you care for me, because ICARE is all that matters,

LOVE CHRIST BECAUSE ALL CHRIST DOES IS LOVE YOU AND HELP YOU,

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Thistled

You have to see the big picture. The Book of the Law, Leviticus, was meant to set a standard that was unattainable. All of the sacrifices that were needed for cleansing and pleasing God were to show that it was impossible for "man" to do so. This paved the way for the supreme sacrifice of Jesus Christ, The Perfect Lamb/Sacrifice. That was the only sacrifice acceptable to atone for man's sin. For this reason, there is no more need for the laws of Leviticus, they have been fulfilled.
Seeashrink

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
CHRIST IS AND ALLWAYS WILL BE THROUGH YOU AND ME, IF YOU LISTEN TO JAH JAH CALLING WHEN YOUR TEAR DROPS ARE FALLING, EXCEPT GOD AND CHRIST AND YOU SHALL WEARY NO MORE, BLESS YOU ALL YOU ALL ARE RIGHT , just quit acting like you are, LOVE IS GOD GOD IS LOVE, AND LIFE IS GOD AND CHRIST IS OUR SAVIOR, BECAUSE WE WERE ACTING FOOLISHLY BYTRUSTING MAN AND "OTHER THINGS" SEEN?

LOVE YOU ALL,

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeashrink

You have to see the big picture. The Book of the Law, Leviticus, was meant to set a standard that was unattainable. All of the sacrifices that were needed for cleansing and pleasing God were to show that it was impossible for "man" to do so. This paved the way for the supreme sacrifice of Jesus Christ, The Perfect Lamb/Sacrifice. That was the only sacrifice acceptable to atone for man's sin. For this reason, there is no more need for the laws of Leviticus, they have been fulfilled.
Seeashrink

Where does the bible say any of that? ATS is a great place to find new stories of the bible. I have read mine and a few other versions but on ATS, I can always find something not in my book. Please explain.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
MANS LAW OR GOD AND CHRIST LAW? love or hate? truth or lies? confussion or OVERSTANDING,

LOVE AND LOVE MORE, do not fret their is allways someone out their doing something more evil then you have or are doing,

CHANGE YOURSELF, AND OTHERS YOU LOVE WILL SEE, AND THEN MAYBE THEY WILL CHANGE IF NOT, THEN AT LEAST YOU GOT IT RIGHT?

CHRIST LOVES US ALL,

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I do not believe it is time to ditch the bible, nor will I believe that any theological or book based on belief is bad. It is a persons belief, and practice, as they make of it what they only get out it.
However, I do believe that those who would preach from such a book, need to realise that there are more than just the 10 commandments in the bible and there are a whole series of laws, that were made to keep a community healthy and whole. Entire passages dedicated on what to eat, how to prepare the food, what to avoid and how to live in general.
I find that it is the hieght of hypocrisy when people just pick and choose what passages to follow in the bible, or the different laws of such. The most notible is when the bible is used to justify hate of one group or another. My understanding of such is that if you are a christian, then the laws of the old testiment no longer applies, and the only commandment is to love one another. That is it, means be nice to the other people, and not to be judgemental.
Ultimately, I do believe that there are still lessons and the ideals of morality are still in the bible, but only if a person takes the time to think about what they are reading and how it applies to their life, not their neighbors or the people that are not in their house.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ReHaBzWuRdZ

Why are you typing in block capitals, and why are you preaching to us all.

Give us an opinion without quotes from the book or please go preach elsewhere, cuz that's not what this thread is about buddy.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by K J Gunderson

If you will study the book of Romans, especially if you study it prayerfully, this will be revealed to you. This is not a strange doctrine but is commonly accepted.
Seeashrink

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeashrink
reply to post by K J Gunderson

If you will study the book of Romans, especially if you study it prayerfully, this will be revealed to you. This is not a strange doctrine but is commonly accepted.
Seeashrink

The book of Romans is probably one of the nicest interpretations of Christianity, if I believed in a God, it would be the one talked about in the book of Romans, because it seems to accept all, instead of God being jealous and simply punishing people for not believing in him, etc.

[edit on 4-7-2010 by hippomchippo]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I don't think we should ditch the bible, that would be like throwing away what we know of ancient history. However I do know that it was written by man and has been translated many times - changing the original. I believe what is truly in our heart is more important, if we are filled with love, tolerant and non judgemental of others we should be alright in this life and the next (what ever that may be, I dont think any of us know). If we are full of hate, intolerant, inpatient and judgemental of others we would suffer those consequences in this life and who knows perhaps after our death. I believe more in a Creator than the God that is mentioned in the bible because I just can't get past all the rules and regulations put on humans (that are by nature imperfect). And all the wars and suffering due to religion. Just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt if you prefer, it is your choice.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

You don't need the bible to have an account of history.

That is unless you have been brainwashed by the book, and want to believe you need the bible for an account of history.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Here we go again.

Another bible quoting ATS post

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Yes it is.

This is now our childhood's end. Time to put away all our fairy-tales.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

hey one of the reasons i got into conspiracy theory's is because of the bible i could name off a few but Gods word is valid you read it like a newspaper one of these days when they try to shove a chip in your hand that is in rev 13:13 or when Is Israel became a nation once again thats in chapter 36 of Ezekiel. there is a lot more but this is not a bible study just a point

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Theres a lot of truth in the bible, but you have to sort through the garbage to find it...

So i'd answer no...Don't ditch the bible...ditch religion!

You said...

But seriously, disobedient children should be killed, disabled people not allowed in the temple of God, if you are ill, or have a skin condition you are not welcome in the temple of God. There is so much in the book of Leviticus that is jaw dropping. Damn right nasty, and mostly unacceptable in todays world

Do you believe the "temple of God" is in some building? Many people do...but consider this...

If the earth is where the lord rests his feet, how Big would the temple of the lord have to be?

The temple is inside all of us.........Don't be fooled by what you read in the book of "mans word", there is truth in the bible.

new topics

top topics

<< 28  29  30   >>

join