It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it time to ditch the bible?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I know this will probably upset a few people and I apologise for this....

Is it not time to ditch the bible?

When your read some of the passages in Leviticus, it makes you wonder and indeed question 'the word of God'.

Some will argue, the book of Leviticus is ancient, and reflects the society of the time. It all kinda changed after A.D.

But seriously, disobedient children should be killed, disabled people not allowed in the temple of God, if you are ill, or have a skin condition you are not welcome in the temple of God. There is so much in the book of Leviticus that is jaw dropping. Damn right nasty, and mostly unacceptable in todays world.

Ditch the bible - it's quite nasty, and it adds fuel to the fire of hatred and discrimination. No place for that in todays world.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
without the bible there is no hope

also it would be nice if you quoted the passages where it says such things since those quotes are essentially your whole argument.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I must admit I used to be very into God and the bible and all that I use to even pray every night to him but I realized happily that what I was doing was to right (to me) I mean who was I praying to really I don’t know there is a God there I am also starting to fall into the category of people who believe that w are ourselves God of this world and we unconsciously decide what’s what

I have took a different path I my life now though I have started following meditation because it’s just amazing and I feel amazing doing it and it feels right im not doing it because I am being bribed to do it like in Christianity I am not being threatened with going to Hell just because I do not follow it I am my own person and I control my world and I am following this life from now on and I am happy for it

Also i would happily urge other people to take up meditation because I have had the benefit of living a Christians life and now living a spiritualists life and I know which is better because the power of meditation is very strong also when doing it the most amazing feelings are produced and I would urge other people to at least try it

also the world would be in my opinion a much better place without religion now because what does it really do what does it really do to people why is it really here we are people should be focusing on our spiritual self

1. Wars are started
2. Marriages are split over religion
3. Children are bullied because of religion

[edit on 1/2/2009 by Anti - Government]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Although there are already multiple threads on this issue...

I remember once I was at work last summer and I asked my friend who was working with me what religion she was. She said "I'm Christian." I asked her if she went to Church, and she said no, and I asked her what she thought about God, she said she wasn't sure.

Most people are Christian because their parents are.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thistled
I know this will probably upset a few people and I apologise for this....

Is it not time to ditch the bible?

I think if you're ready to do that you should get up on it. If you're insinuating you need to make that call for anyone else, I think you just stepped over a line you don't have authority to cross.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Seems to me that this is already happening ..first of all most do not even know the bible (especially Christians) ....I am starting to think that the anti's may know the bible even better than most Christians ....*even though they just pick out a few bad things in it and run with it ..(taking it all out of context etc) ..
And they only read it to use it for ammunition against those who do believe in the bible .

Most christians are now into the Gnostic texts,the Vedic,the Dead Sea Scrolls and other texts that are completely opposite of the bible ....or no texts at all ...going on feelings alone ..creating their very own feel good theologies ...............
So the bible is already being replaced ...and tossed aside .........

There is also a trend going on where Jesus Christ is being replaced with the little I ams (mere men who believe that they are mini christs) ................

Myself I will stay with the bible and keep the Lord Jesus Christ as my Lord and my saviour ...and I will wish you all luck on trying to save your own selves ...and saving the world ...so far though that has not worked out very well for yall at all ..

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Simplynoone

I'm going to hell ^_^
Not even going to bother trying to "save myself" at this point.
Thanks, though.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I never accepted it. I'm not sure that those who accept it
at it's word, will not simply ditch it. They need the comfort
of that book. I can't see those religiously invested in it just
abandoning it.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Hi JPM, how about these?

Leviticus 20:9 If anyone curses his father or mother, he must be put to death.

20:10 If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife—with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death.

20:13 If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death.

25:44 states one may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations.

19:27 Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard.

21:16-17 And the Lord said to Moses, “Tell Aaron that any of his descendants from generation to generation who have any bodily defect may not offer the sacrifices to God.”

These are just from Leviticus, the book of Exodus has a few clangers in there as well.

Valhall - I get the impression you are not happy. The title of the topic is a question, it is not designed to stir up a frenzy, although as the T&C for this forum clearly points out, it can get a bit heated and emotional at times.
This post is merely a question and I would like to see what others think on it.

I really don't understand you when you say, "stepping over a line" and the use of the word "authority". Can you stick to the topic please?

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simplynoone
Seems to me that this is already happening ..first of all most do not even know the bible (especially Christians) ....I am starting to think that the anti's may know the bible even better than most Christians ....*even though they just pick out a few bad things in it and run with it ..(taking it all out of context etc) ..
And they only read it to use it for ammunition against those who do believe in the bible .

Most christians are now into the Gnostic texts,the Vedic,the Dead Sea Scrolls and other texts that are completely opposite of the bible ....or no texts at all ...going on feelings alone ..creating their very own feel good theologies ...............
So the bible is already being replaced ...and tossed aside .........

There is also a trend going on where Jesus Christ is being replaced with the little I ams (mere men who believe that they are mini christs) ................

Myself I will stay with the bible and keep the Lord Jesus Christ as my Lord and my saviour ...and I will wish you all luck on trying to save your own selves ...and saving the world ...so far though that has not worked out very well for yall at all ..

And the sad part is you say it as if you aren't guilty yourself. Placing the blame on everyone else being wrong, everyone else is trying to save themselves, but then you talk about how you choose to save yourself. Somewhat mind boggling really.

Apparently, there is no way we can "save ourselves", and yet even the very act of "accepting Jesus" is something you have to do in order to "save yourself". If you weren't "saving yourself", then it wouldn't even be a choice to do otherwise.

As for the OP:

Why ditch it? It's a book of history, knowledge and understanding which has been put into stories with names changed as a way of survival. It's not the book itself that is the problem, it's people who can't think for themselves. You will not solve a single problem by removing the bible or religion, and it's foolish to suggest really. The only thing that can be done is for people to learn how to think for themselves, and gain understandings about things for themselves.

And the most important understanding one can make for themselves is that - the world doesn't have to be exactly like them. They don't need to choose for other people. 1 life is plenty to control, and not a single person in this world can even seem to get that much right, much less start looking at controlling other peoples lives. Choose for yourself and realize everyone else doesn't have to make the same choice for you to have made the right choice.

It's one thing when disagree and discuss things, it's another ballgame when we start talking about "ditching bibles" and stuff. This world certainly doesn't need another person deciding truth for other people.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

Bad media - calm down. Come down from your highchair and pick up your rattle

When I say 'ditch' I mean ditch, not forget.

You say "It's not the book that's the problem". Erm, look above at the quotatons from Leviticus. Do they really have a place in this day and age?

Remember - stay calm.

[edit on 1/2/2009 by Thistled]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   

And in my honest opinion 2000 years of Jesus being the worlds saviour has not worked out to well even.

I have read about the teachings of Jesus and I feel he had a far greater knowledge than most of his time.
I like his teachings about peace love tolerance but I do not find myself to be part of any religion.

I want to know why god felt the need to start of with the Jewish people as his people then change his / her mind then allow Jesus into the world and then send his message to the prophet Mohammed..... I thought god was all knowing and all seeing ????

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Thistled

I'm always calm. Why can't people disagree on things without them being considered angry? Or are you just trying to make me off as angry as a way of saying my response was irrational?

But you are still talking about ditching an entire book based on part of it. I get that you probably don't mean ditch in such a way, but it's the very fact of what you do in total that I have a problem with.

Big huge book. You highlight and focus on a small portion of it and then use that small portion of it as a way of dismissing the entire bible.

And should someone want to come along and "ban" it and such, the same thing you do is the same thing they will do. Because it's the same thing they always do. Highlight a small portion, use it to paint it as such. It's status quo and it doesn't help.

Do they have a place in this day and age? Well hmm, I dunno. Do we see that actually going on? Are you able to tell the difference between mans laws and gods law? Do you think god is going to be sitting there waiting for every speeding ticket you never got caught for?

[edit on 1-2-2009 by badmedia]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Yes, there are many threads on this subject and it is being talked to death, but...obviously many are not catching these threads, or still are frustrated or angry, that people still "buy" into it.

If we throw out the Bible we then need to throw out almost all ancient books. Our understanding has increased 100 fold concerning the Bible and other Holy Books (I am primarily speaking of those who are not religious).

My goal is to understand the purpose of the Bible, and what is "behind" the Bible. It has become obvious that the Bible was written by man for man, but this doesn't answer it's longevity, or it's imprint, or at times it's logic.

One thing is for sure, the Bible has accomplished exactly what was intended. That is to; divide the religious masses. This is shown right here on ATS! The believers cannot agree amongst themselves as to how scripture is intended to be understood. All those claiming to be Christian argue amongst themselves as to doctrines such as: the trinity, the rapture, hellfire, the chosen, etc, and wear blinders so as to not "see" another viewpoint. So the Bible has proven to cause divisions! It's purpose has worked!

So it brings up the question of authorship and inspiration. Many like myself are choosing to NOT throw the Bible out, but are seeing its faults, and are looking for the story behind the story. I had to leave most, if not all, of my beliefs behind in order to do so. Here, here, and here, may give you some different insight.

Are we missing something about the Bible because Christians have had control over it for so many centuries? AND now it is being taken out of their hands, as the former authorities on it?

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia
reply to post by Thistled

Do they have a place in this day and age? Well hmm, I dunno. Do we see that actually going on? Are you able to tell the difference between mans laws and gods law? Do you think god is going to be sitting there waiting for every speeding ticket you never got caught for?
[edit on 1-2-2009 by badmedia]

Apparently he is everywhere, all the time. (Impossible)
Do they have a place in this day and age you ask?
As someone previously stated - 2000yrs on and it still aint quite working is it?

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thistled
Apparently he is everywhere, all the time. (Impossible)
Do they have a place in this day and age you ask?
As someone previously stated - 2000yrs on and it still aint quite working is it?

Actually, if you ever realized that he is you, me and the total sum of all consciousness in the universe, past, present and future as time is just an illusion based on the result of our limited perception then it's not quite so impossible.

You have a very tiny perspective of the entire universe. Just in what is known, you can look out and see so many thing you don't know, that aren't included in your perspective. You can look into history or into the future and see things that aren't in your perspective. It is impossible for you to see such things, because if you did know all of it, then your individual perspective would not exist.

Take a movie film, stretch it out. Has no time. That is to be all knowing, to be the father. Take it and chop it into films and present them 1 after the other, and suddenly that same movie has time, change and so on. The experience is only available because of a limited perception. That limited perception is the son, the film viewer is the father. We are all sons and daughters of that father. But it's not just a single film, your limited perspective on time makes it appear as a single film, because that is what you life an experience is. It's actually many films all sitting on "top" of each other. And the choices you make depend on the directions you take, and if you want to live in a decent world/society, then it requires all in that society to act as Jesus does, and live by the commandments.

Or did your limited perspective make you think that because I stuck up for the bible, I must be someone who is blind and accepts the bible literally because I am told to, not someone who is actually intelligent and able to think for themselves and found the most profound truths in the bible?

I'm not a christian. I actually follow Jesus.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
[I want to know why god felt the need to start of with the Jewish people as his people then change his / her mind then allow Jesus into the world and then send his message to the prophet Mohammed..... I thought god was all knowing and all seeing ????]

He didnt change his mind ..it was always his will for all peoples to know him .
The Jewish people were supposed to be the called ones to bring ALL TO KNOW HIM...but they failed and in fact the bible even says that because they also turned aside and did like the heathens did served other Gods ....did all evil under the sun etc etc ....that God actually gave them a writing of divorcement .
Jer 3:6 The LORD said also unto me in the days of Josiah the king, Hast thou seen [that] which backsliding Israel hath done? she is gone up upon every high mountain and under every green tree, and there hath played the harlot.
Jer 3:7 And I said after she had done all these [things], Turn thou unto me. But she returned not. And her treacherous sister Judah saw [it].
Jer 3:8 And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also.

He will however reconcile with them ..but not until they endure terrible tribulation ..(because they went a whoring and are still to this day whoring after other Gods etc) ........................they are an UNFAITHFUL people according to scripture ...But during the trib they will see their faults (at least scripture says they will and will in the end be saved...by being turned over to the destruction of the flesh so that their spirit may be saved ...)

Mat 23:37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, [thou] that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under [her] wings, and ye would not!

Mat 23:38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.

Mat 23:39 For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed [is] he that cometh in the name of the Lord.

Act 7:51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers [did], so [do] ye.

Act 7:52 Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted? and they have slain them which shewed before of the coming of the Just One; of whom ye have been now the betrayers and murderers:

Act 7:53 Who have received the law by the disposition of angels, and have not kept [it].

It was planned all along for Jesus to come and do what he did ...God knew that Israel (the chosen ones) would not do as they were supposed to do ..
So as scripture says ..His own arm brought salvation to all peoples ..(his arm being Jesus Christ ) ..................
Isa 63:5 And I looked, and [there was] none to help; and I wondered that [there was] none to uphold: therefore mine own arm brought salvation unto me; and my fury, it upheld me.

And as far as Allah goes ..he has no son so he says ...so the Jesus he talks about in the Quran is not the same Jesus as the one in the bible ..because the God in the bible says he has a son ...and his name is Jesus Christ ..And So Allah is not the same God as the one in the bible ...

Even scripture says many serve and preach and teach another Jesus ..not the one of the bible ..but a false Jesus
2Cr 11:4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or [if] ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with [him].

[edit on 1-2-2009 by Simplynoone]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

God is in all of us?

Paedophiles, rapists, junkies, pimps, burglars, knife wielding gangs, corrupt politicians, Jim and Tammy Bakker, Paul Pot, Mugabe, Hitler.
Spose you will tell me "the dark one" is to blame for these errors in evolution. Aghhh, that's it. Evolution.
We are here because we live on a rock that is the right distance from the Sun, and life evolved from a piece of rubbish on the seabed. Voila!

I was baptised Roman Catholic - I am now an athiest.

Spose the dark one has claimed another 'victim' then.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   

God is in all of us?

Paedophiles, rapists, junkies, pimps, burglars, knife wielding gangs, corrupt politicians, Jim and Tammy Bakker, Paul Pot, Mugabe, Hitler.

I have a problem with this also. I am not a New Ager. But I do think that there is an energy that permeates anything that is alive. Science would not denounce this. Is God in all of us? No. But his essence is. That which is life itself.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join