It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it time to ditch the bible?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by huckfinn
Most of the world's Constitutions provide a provision for Religious freedom and they based this on the US Constitution. Apparently, someone saw the day when Fascist Atheists would attempt to deprive the world of its freedom and I can see that day has now come.

I can't say that I am surprised though...that a Citizen of the United Kingdom has taken a lead role in this endeavor. You guys stand alone as the only nation to ever enter the Capitol and burn down America's symbols of freedom. Congratulations on that, I guess you're back to finish the job.

I disagree, and would say they are based on the Magna Carta, and not the US constitution.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Thistled

. . disobedient children should be killed, disabled people not allowed in the temple of God, if you are ill, or have a skin condition you are not welcome in the temple of God. There is so much in the book of Leviticus that is jaw dropping. Down right nasty and mostly unacceptable in today’s world. Ditch the bible - it's quite nasty, and it adds fuel to the fire of hatred and discrimination. No place for that in today’s world.

Why is this? Because almost NO one reads the Holy Book. Anyone who does [read it much] is usually either a fanatic or a lunatic. The Followers of Christ have been among the most violent people ever to tread the planet. Sam Harris in "End of Faith" describes the crushing effect religiosity and especially the Christian variety has had on the history of mankind.

No thinking, literate person could possibly be a Christian. It is almost an oxymoron. But scammers like Oral Roberts - the first electronic shyster - Robert Schuller, D James Kennedy, Jerry Falwell, Jimmy Swaggart, Jim and Tammy Fay Bakker, Joel Ostein, have all become multi-millionaires “milking” the faithful with their “name it and claim it” gospel or their “once saved always saved” promises. Just put money in the plate, please.

I guess religion proves - if anyone ever doubted - that P. T. Barnum knew exactly what he was saying when he said “There is a fool born every minute.” Or maybe EIGHT fools to one big fool?

[edit on 2/3/2009 by donwhite]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by FIFIGI

That is clever, you get a star from me!

You are so right, look at Waco and what happened there (and the world over), if you try hard enough and do it well, the sheep will follow.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by powski

Actually a law can have multiple purposes. It is generally thought that a Wall or fence on America's southern border with Mexico would be to keep illegal Mexicans Out, but I once had a nightmarish day dream that it was actually to keep Americans In.

Some people argue that the right to bear arms, another provision in our constitution, is outdated and has no real meaning today. I beg to differ and so would the people at the NRA.

And this is the second such thread on this topic that appeared almost simultaneously on ATS over the past few days. Is this a coincidence or is it a conspiracy? Most people who frequent this site would definately say Conspiracy. To do what? To undermine the foundation of American society of course.

I do like this site too. Conspiracy theorists are welcome.

You like the Throne, huh? I participated in a thread once and suggested that a lightsaber, like the ones from Star Wars, is a portable Throne.

all you need to find are the mediators of the fundamental forces, properly assemble them, house them and channel your own chi through the handle and you have a lightsaber. the Bible is fun, the types of things it can teach you to make.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by donwhite

"But scammers like Oral Roberts - the first electronic shyster - Robert Schuller, D James Kennedy, Jerry Falwell, Jimmy Swaggart, Jim and Tammy Fay Bakker, Joel Ostein, have all become multi-millionaires “milking” the faithful with their “name it and claim it” gospel or their “once saved always saved” promises. Just put money in the plate, please."

To think, they throw quotations from the bible at you and then demand money. Were / are all of the above not corrupt?

[edit on 3/2/2009 by Thistled]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   

reply to post by powski

And this is the second such thread on this topic that appeared almost simultaneously on ATS over the past few days. Is this a coincidence or is it a conspiracy? Most people who frequent this site would definately say Conspiracy. To do what? To undermine the foundation of American society of course.

Former Huck - I promise you.

Undermine the foundation of American society? - Paranoia.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I just read Sorcha Faal...that site has been asking for money at least once a month for the last 4-5 months. On the news last night they had a story about some people that were scammed by a guy who claimed that he would help them fix their credit. Bernard Madoff, stole $50 Billion from his investors. Should we also ditch, conspiracy web-sites, Credit repair companies and investment companies?

I am not certain that any modern state even enforces laws that are listed in the Bible, except the big ones, like murder, so my question is when has any of the the horrible things you read in Leviticus actually happened?

When and where in the last 200 years was a disabled child killed for being disabled? Didn't the Movie 300 allege that the Spartans did the same thing? Are the Spartans Christians? We should ditch all we know concerning the Spartans.

I think these things are mentioned in the Bible to illustrate that they are incorrect behaviors, because people who are not known to be Christians and certainly didn't have the Bible as we know it killed disabled children anyway.

That's why ditching the bible makes no sense, why now? why not 300 years ago? There most be some sort of Conspiracy with this and to confound the conspirators I have decided to support the continued existence of and in its current form, the Bible.

Not because I have any intentions of reading it again or going to church, but just to piss people off.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Paranoia is implied by my frequent presence on this Conspiracy web site.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   

You probably think that the United Kingdom didn't just lose a war to the Americans in Iraq.

I'll just stick to my belief that America is the foremost nation in the world.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   

You probably think that the United Kingdom didn't just lose a war to the Americans in Iraq.

I'll just stick to my belief that America is the foremost nation in the world.

No I think what the British did and continue to do in Iraq is a Sterling effort, and I do believe American generals give them the credit for it, and of course, what the American generals say is right, because they are the war machine.

I will also add, the UK troops in Basra did a fantastic job, just think, as the yankees were on their way northward to baghdad, the Brits were keeping the Iraqi's off your ankles from the south. No Brits in the south? You would have been surrounded in no time my friend.

Besides, what does the intellect, precision, and skill of the British army have to do wth ditching the bible?

P.S. It would be nice to see all the troops leave soon and let the new Iraq get on with it.

[edit on 3/2/2009 by Thistled]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Many Americans claim British descent and out of courtesy, the UK has been allowed to save face and make a dignified withdrawal from the country. But I'll always know that an attempt to destroy my Army in that country, which the British were willing participants, was foiled.

Again, my analysis above was made possible because of the Book of Genesis. Another reason not to ditch the Bible makes its appearance, as it provides light in when in dark places.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Here's a thought. You keep your hands off my Bible and I will not pull obscure passages from a book to disparage you.

What is it about you and Obama that you must use Leviticus to ridicule Christians and yes you are ridiculing Christians?

What must so many people on this site attempt to prove the Bible/Christianity wrong? WHat is it you fear from a book?

SHow me one Christian that has repressed you. I am not talking about making you feel bad. I am talking about...
Kept you from working.
Kept you from your lifestyle.

Show me one example of Christian respression of non-Christians that is not from the 1800's.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by donwhite

That's strange...While you claim that Christians are the most violent people in the history of the world and the only ones to actually hit another nation with atomic weapons, why then do you continue to agitate them?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by huckfinn

Are you referring to Iraq?

There are still 4,100 British troops in Southern Iraq, should be leaving in the next few months once they have completed training the Iraqi army.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by donwhite

Sam Harris is not the smartest guy!

But scammers like Oral Roberts - the first electronic shyster - Robert Schuller, D James Kennedy, Jerry Falwell, Jimmy Swaggart, Jim and Tammy Fay Bakker, Joel Ostein, have all become multi-millionaires “milking” the faithful with their “name it and claim it” gospel or their “once saved always saved” promises. Just put money in the plate, please.

I agree with most of your list of wolves in sheep's clothing, except D. James Kennedy.
What did he do wrong?
Did he have a huge mansion and beemers all around his compound?
He was CERTAINLY no "name it and claim it", preacher crying about how he needed more money.

I guess religion proves - if anyone ever doubted - that P. T. Barnum knew exactly what he was saying when he said “There is a fool born every minute.” Or maybe EIGHT fools to one big fool?

The gospel is foolish to unbelievers, because they have no wisdom.

[edit on 3-2-2009 by Clearskies]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by crmanager

uk.youtube.com...

Not very "loving" is it?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

I am full of wisdom and good advice, for I am the one my friends turn to for advice and help.

Some of them refer to me as the old owl.

I didn't get any of it from a book, but from my life, and it's a life that is ticking away just fine without any inspiration from a book or a preacher.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   

As much as I disagree with Fred Phelps, he still has free speech.
Did they push you around or try to stone you?
You know their version of the Gospel is a minority in Christianity, right?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   

The initial Strategic Goal of your government and military involved being located indefinately in Baghdad as counselors to the young Iraqi state and getting free Oil, while the Americans abandoned the field as a defeated force on the verge of collapse. Being located at an airbase on the outskirts of Basra and packing your things to go home in 4 months does not represent a victory. The whole situation in Basra is nothing more than a way for the UK to save face and exit with dignity...made possible by the magnanimous US authority.

If you read the Bible and possessed any understanding of it you would see that the above analysis is indeed the case.

Who's the Sheeple now?

[edit on 3-2-2009 by huckfinn]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Then why do you sound so bitter? Honestly.

Wisdom makes you realize there are greater things than yourself and your intelligence(and fleshly gratifications).

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join