It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it time to ditch the bible?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   

link   
This is a reminder to not give in to the baiting and refrain from posting to the poster. Please remain on topic and review the following link for clarification:

Civility & Decorum Are Expected

Thank you.

link   
reply to post by badmedia

The viewpoints from everyone is amazing, and i love it.

Off to bed now, and looking forward to more posts tomorrow.

night night everyone!

edited to add a d on to bed

[edit on 2/2/2009 by Thistled]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia

Originally posted by Angus123
reply to post by Thistled

In answer to your question... yes.
If we accept that Leviticus, and all of the OT are a reflection of that ancient society, we must accept that the NT is as well. And therefore the words of men. Not any God.

So it has to be the word of God in order for it to be acceptable? I don't think it's the word of God, and I think in many cases it has become a replacement for the true word of God.

I think you misunderstand my point. If we attribute the Bible to a "God" at all... any God... even part of it... then that means that we have to accept all the insanity it encourages as the will of said God. After all, how can we tell what parts are the TRUE parts? Only our own sense of right and wrong can help us there.
It is then that our own wisdom and understanding comes into play. And we need not attribute it to any deity, nor any texts He supposedly authored.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Thistled

Have a good night!
Remember, Jesus loves you.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Angus123

Once you meet G-d, (and sometimes before) G-d will introduce you to His word and you won't be able to say you don't know about Him, because you WILL know.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ret_old_phart
reply to post by Clearskies

Oh please there is no JESUS!

ahhh, give it some time old fart...
....ever read Phiippinas bro? that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth...."

EVERY knee...just give it some time and we'll be there together....I just chose to do it early!

OT out!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ret_old_phart

Excuse me, what?
You think we are paid to tell the Truth?

I thought there 'was no Jesus', before I came to the end of my strength and really wanted to know.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Angus123
I think you misunderstand my point. If we attribute the Bible to a "God" at all... any God... even part of it... then that means that we have to accept all the insanity it encourages as the will of said God. After all, how can we tell what parts are the TRUE parts? Only our own sense of right and wrong can help us there.
It is then that our own wisdom and understanding comes into play. And we need not attribute it to any deity, nor any texts He supposedly authored.

Buddha said -- Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
ode to clearskies and simply....

stink, I'm no poet.....

Thanks ladies, you two are awesome!

OT and wife love you both!!!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

You haven't made a 'stinking' thread, yet!
I love them!
Tell the wife you are a good catch!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

yep, yep...another wise post by badmedia!!!!!!

Skeptics, be aware and listen to this guy...he's RIGHT ON!!!!

OT

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Is it not time to ditch the bible? Yes!

It's because there are so many versions thrown out there, so many tax-exempt religious organizations and moreover, the translations from the 'original' writings are not the same.

Plus, religion has gone to far into making a bunch of old writings (or letters, which could be nothing more than someone's blogging material of antiquities) into something of worship and praise but has been turned into businesses for making profit, which is totally unacceptable (to me at least).

[edit on 2009-2-02 by pikypiky]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

MemoryShock, Great leadership as usual!!!!

Thanks for the great mod work you do...

OT honored!!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker

stink, I'm no poet.....

No thanks needed ....I deserve to get whacked upside the head since I get irritated and even angry around here sometimes ..... ..you do not
I cant think of a single time I have ever even seen you get irritated or angry ..got to admire someone like that no doubt in a place like this .... ...you have alot of self control and you seem like the kinda guy who would even talk with the devil himself and make him wish he wouldnt have gone so bad .....
Bet your loads of fun just to hang out with too ...........

He just has to get to know you ..he would love you too ...I am sure of it .who doesnt love OT eh ...

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by pikypiky

pikypiky, Good thought there....politics of the day certainly have hurt the central message of John 13:34, 35, don't you agree?

OT

PS: What can WE do to help/change that?

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simplynoone

Originally posted by OldThinker

stink, I'm no poet.....

No thanks needed ....I deserve to get whacked upside the head since I get irritated and even angry around here sometimes ..... ..you do not
I cant think of a single time I have ever even seen you get irritated or angry ..got to admire someone like that no doubt in a place like this .... ...you have alot of self control and you seem like the kinda guy who would even talk with the devil himself and make him wish he wouldnt have gone so bad .....
Bet your loads of fun just to hang out with too ...........

He just has to get to know you ..he would love you too ...I am sure of it .who doesnt love OT eh ...

nah, thanks are IN ORDER for you...!!!!!

OT didn't "grow up in church", came to know HIM later in life, been on both/all sides here...I just accepted at face-value Romans 3:23, 5:8, 6:23, 8:1 and 10:9,10...and it freakin' changed my life...

Satan/the Devil/Beelzabob/Whatever has NO PLACE in OT's life...because of.....WHO's I AM...not who I am....big difference there!!!!!

God bless the ATS leadership!!!!

OT

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join