It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What did Jesus actually teach?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by noobfun

no prob!

no sun now...in two foot of snow!!!!

Yeah, take your time...

OT

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Matt 5:17

17Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

19Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Matt 10:5

5These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:

6But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

7And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Rev 21:4

4And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

5And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.

6And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

7He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

8But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Rev 22:12

12And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

13I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

14Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

15For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

16I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

YHVH is God

Jesus his son

Keep ALL the commandments

Keep ALL the "Holydays" and feasts

Keep the Sabbath Day.....

Do these things and for the first time ever in human history mankind may find eternal life. Before Christ the Lord God never offered man eternal life. To believe in Jesus is to DO his fathers will.

God Bless........

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by heliosprime

im curios, can you explain your reasoning for adding Matt 10:5

it has massive implications for christianity as it stands today

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Jesus Christ is the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

He is the Creator

John 1:10
He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

He is the Tree of Life. The Lamb of God. The Word

John 3:16
Whosoever believes shall have eternal Life.

He will return at the end, in the meantime we need to live an example.

The Commandments
1.Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your strength and all your mind.

2.Love your neighbour as yourself.

The Law
Do unto others as you would have done unto you.

Use your spiritual gift to help build the spiritual church. This is the part that got the church in trouble. No one recognizes their unique gift, and everyone wants to be an apostle.

Forgive, Forgive

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by noobfun

In my religion we don't follow nor believe the Old Testament. it is considered as being stories about how people were before Jesus came. It's not part of the religion though.

I guess it depends how you interpret it, that is what determines if it says bad things or not. I don't think it is not supposed to be taken litterally. But rather metaphorically.

Even the various versions of the bible differ in interpretation....

I'll use this as an example because you mentioned it..
Luke 2:48-50

King James Version-
And when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing.
And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?
And they understood not the saying which he spake unto them.

The Message-
His mother said, "Young man, why have you done this to us? Your father and I have been half out of our minds looking for you."
He said, "Why were you looking for me? Didn't you know that I had to be here, dealing with the things of my Father?" But they had no idea what he was talking about.

I don't have my bible here (at work, so i don't know how mine says it) But anyways, can you see the difference in interpretation?

Also, depending on how you read, in what language and with what tone, it changes again...

It's not bad, just misinterpreted. Especially in English.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
i think he read a prophecy about a man who would save his people from the Roman Empire and he took on that role and failed.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Obliterated
I am 1/2 Malkite 1/2Maronite Catholic but I don't go to Church or read the bible. I think it is more important to follow the lessons rather than the religion.

This is what stood out most for me as a child....

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"
Meaning that no one is perfect so we should not persecute other people for their mistakes but rather look at our own and better ourselves.

and

"The way you judge others, that is the way you will be judged. How much you give to others is how much will be given to you."
I interpret it as being similar to karma. What goes around comes around. So it is important to be good to others and help people where you can rather than judging them.

An intriguing insight i would like to know.Did you NOT know these things inately before or did you need to read those passages before you thought it was a good idea?

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by noobfun

Ahh I'm not sure I should be here tonight! Night shifts play on my nerves somewhat....

Anyhoo....

Just because something is a "standard theistic response" (whatever that is) doesn't mean it's wrong.

Before I visited New Zealand back in 1990 I "knew" about the country.... head knowledge.

After my visit - I KNOW with my head AND my heart just what an incredible country it is.

Before I became a Christian, I knew about Jesus and some of the things He said. I still know some, not all, of the things He said, but since I became a Christian [and that is a SPIRITUAL TRANSFORMATION, not a simple repeat of a prayer, following of a set of rules, or mental acceptance of some formula for a better life or whatever] I KNOW in the deepest part of my being that Jesus is everything (and more) that the bible says He is.

Someone who is searching for the truth is scratching away at the face of a huge wall of knowledge. Whenever that someone approaches the bible, and starts reading about Jesus, a tiny crack appears in that wall. A ray of light shines through - you squint, and can just make out something strange and wonderful on the other side of the wall. But it doesn't make sense.

It's only AFTER you've taken that step of faith and placed your trust in God that you find yourself whisked away from the dark shadows cast by the wall of human endeavor into the incredible blazing light of divine understanding. I CANNOT explain it better than that. Sorry.

But don't stop chipping away! You are interested. You want to know what makes a crazy fundamentalist like me tick! Why have I returned for more (friendly I hope
) abuse at ATS?

As for me being a hypocrite because I'm standing on the "street corners" of ATS telling you that I'm gonna pray for you - I think you know what Jesus was referring to there in Matthew 6. The warning there is about attitude of the heart. Am I mentioning prayer because I want other people to look at me and go "ooooooo, illimey must be righteous and close to God"? Or do I genuinely want you to be blessed?

I am FAR from perfect (obviously). Some of the things I say, and the way I say them, have been and will be plain wrong. But I can point you to the Truth... His name is Jesus, and despite your head knowledge and human insight into His words and the apparent contradictions you see - He IS perfect.

Trust Him, and it will all make sense. And that, friend, is a PROMISE.

Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things;
and give me life in your ways.
Confirm to your servant your promise,
that you may be feared.
Turn away the reproach that I dread,
for your rules are good.
Behold, I long for your precepts;
in your righteousness give me life!
Let your steadfast love come to me, O LORD,
your salvation according to your promise

[edit on 2/1/2009 by illimey]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

An intriguing insight i would like to know.Did you NOT know these things inately before or did you need to read those passages before you thought it was a good idea?

Conditioning through social do's and dont's is what causes us to judge others. We base these judgements on our false perceptions of what is or isn't normal. It isn't an innate behaviour, it is learned, as is being non-judgemental.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
he did preach peace, he only expanding one what the law already said about interactions with others.

he preached the kingdom of god as the only solution for mankind

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by noobfun

im curios, can you explain your reasoning for adding Matt 10:5

it has massive implications for christianity as it stands today

It is an interesting passage all too often overlooked. It would seem to indicate that he was here to speak only to the house of Israel alone. Point of order here is that the so called "christian nations" are all decendants of the lost tribes. Europe and england to america, canada, australia, new zealand............

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Obliterated

but either way you look at it HE ran away, his parents searched for him for 3 days and then he tell them it thier fault for not knowing where he is

old testament law that he himself promoted in later life should have seen him dragged to the center of town and stoned

saying it thier fault for not knowing rather then his for running away and not teling them is a twisted way to honour father and mother dont ya think?

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Jesus taught oneness...

----------------------------------------

Todays instalment from WIG'N
What is God network:

/bhvjvn

Show # 16

YOURS TO THE END

[email protected]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by illimey

no offense but thats now theistic response number 3 (you need faith to knwo understand blah)

everytime you read omthing out of the bible that conflicts with the persons beliefs the typical response is your reading it wrong

but reading it in the context its written in the context its said seems to be the correct way if he meant it a different way wouldnt he have said it differently? if it was supposed to hav a different meaning wouldnt it have been written different?

its doing exactly what that video dicusses, changing the meaning ignoring the biits the you dont like so it fits with what you want i to be not what it says

you dont need faith to read it, faith to understand it. you need faith to missread it faith to give it meaning it didnt hold and doesnt elude to

thats why when your first words were i believe and follow all the word of the bible i pulled out a list from duet that you dont follow but jesus did and said all jews should follow including his jew

im noit trying to nock your fiath or turn you awa from it but if your gonna believe somthing then at least take the time to learn about its real history and what the message ay not what youve been told the message is

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by heliosprime

It is an interesting passage all too often overlooked.

id agree

It would seem to indicate that he was here to speak only to the house of Israel alone.
it does doesnt it, only jews allowed in jesus gang

Point of order here is that the so called "christian nations" are all decendants of the lost tribes. Europe and england to america, canada, australia, new zealand............

well if that were true there wouldnt be any gentile would there?

if theres gentiles AND children of israel, then the gentiles arnt the children of isreal, and the gentiles were europeans romans from all over the empire which means greeks gauls goths sarmatians iberans ... infact practically everyone except the brittons but they were of gaulish descent too

and as most american settlers(modern) were european they wernt of the lost tribes either ......

so if the europeans were gentiles and the americans are gentiles ... then where exactly are these lost tribes?

the lost tribe has no founding in anything other then the bible and some very novel interpretation so modern christian can over look the dont go to the gentiles passage

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by noobfun

This is because Jesus came to speak only to those people. His words are built and molded around the understanding of the people from that time. If you go shoving his words and understandings on other cultures, they are not going to make the same kind of sense. It's pretty much like trying to speak to someone in another language.

The message was the message to that flock. He even talks about having other flocks to attend to. Different culture, different messenger, different reasons and ways of understanding, but the same basic truth under it all.

Paul tries to become father of the gentiles, and pretty much puts on somekind of adoption type deal. He has a totally different message for the gentiles.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by heliosprime
The purpose of this thread is to understand the message of Jesus Christ. I invite posters to decribe in detail what is "it" exactly Jesus came to earth and taught mankind. What was his purpose on earth?

I invite all angles on this event.

Jesus has a meaning. In English it is a name. In Hebrew it is a state of being.

His teaching is in his name, this is why he is always talking about "in the name, I have taught them".

His name is is the combination of perfect/imperfect tense.
Perfect is a tense that stands for something completed, as in, "no more repeats" or "complete". This is why you hear "the lord of Hosts". The spirit of all hosts. The perfect being the familiar Yahu/Yahweh which means "Self Existent".

The imperfect is a tense that states something ongoing, something being worked on. The second part of the conjugation of Jesus is shua in the Hebrew and means "Salvation".

So together the name is "Self existent salvation", that "to the least of these, so to have you done them unto me".

The name is the Balance of perpetual life.

As for his lessons, you live them every day. You are the only begotten you, but the life is more important to pass on then the ego, so we call the savior Jesus, who is all men.

Peace

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Obliterated
I am 1/2 Malkite 1/2Maronite Catholic but I don't go to Church or read the bible. I think it is more important to follow the lessons rather than the religion.

This is what stood out most for me as a child....

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"
Meaning that no one is perfect so we should not persecute other people for their mistakes but rather look at our own and better ourselves.

And this is the one I choose for my signature.
Why ???
Because this seems to be the only saying that I can 100% agree with about everyone.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by noobfun

Hi Noob!!

Well, you already pretty much know how I believe, but perhaps there are still those on ATS who don't!

Jesus came to set us free! Free from religion, free from dogmatic laws and free from religious leaders condemning our souls.

He taught forgiveness and tolerance with a dash of spiritual conscience.

He certainly did not create a religion based on his name, we can blame Paul for that. Nor did he condone taking all of the ancient writings and putting a "twist" on them and mistranslated words and stories in order to create even more rules, and a basis for control, to meet their own ends. Creating a fear of God so as to gain a hold on our souls! (A person calling themselves a Christian is actually a Pauline follower.)

He taught love, but where there is love, there is discipline. He taught healthy boundaries and in doing this; to love our neighbor as ourselves. He showed on ample occasions that he loved his Father and that they had a "tight" relationship and showed how they were "One" in union with each other (like a husband and wife) but very special separate beings.

He displayed that he understood the laws of the Universe that of: choice verses consequence and cause and effect. He opened the door for individuals, of their own choosing, to have a relationship with those on high, or not! He was the epitome of: "A program of attraction and not of promotion."

Only NOW, are many of us finally "getting" his message, and it is a divisive one!

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Jesus taught and preached what all the prophets before him taught and preached. To believe in ONE GOD and to believe in the messengers that God has sent.

"And this is eternal life, that they may know Thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom Thou hast sent," (John 17:3)

In his true Gospel Jesus described God in such a way that his disciples will clearly understand that God alone is the ONLY God.

When Jesus had said this, Philip answered: 'We are content to serve God, but we desire, however, to know God, for Isaiah the prophet said: "Verily thou art a hidden God," and God said to Moses his servant: "I am that which I am."

Jesus answered: 'Philip, God is a good without which there is naught good; God is a being without which there is naught that is; God is a life without which there is naught that liveth; so great that He filleth all and is everywhere. He alone hath no equal. He hath had no beginning, nor will He ever have an end, but to everything hath He given a beginning, and to everything shall He give an end. He hath no father nor mother; He hath no
sons. nor brethren. nor companions. And because God hath no body, therefore He eateth not, sleepeth not, dieth not, walketh not, moveth not, but abideth eternally without human similitude, for that He is incorporeal, uncompounded, immaterial, of the most simple substance. He is so good that He loveth goodness only; He is so just that when he punisheth or pardoneth it cannot be gainsaid. In short, I say unto thee, Philip, that here
on earth thou canst not see him nor know him perfectly; but in his kingdom thou shalt see Him for ever: wherein consisteth all our happiness and glory.'

NO prophet ever spoke of their own desire but spake only what God commanded them to speak and Jesus did not speak any words of his own, but the Doctrine that he preached are the words of God.

26 And they say: The Beneficent hath taken unto Himself a son. Be He Glorified! Nay, but (those whom they call sons) are honoured slaves;
27 They speak not until He hath spoken, and they act by His command.
28 He knoweth what is before them and what is behind them, and they cannot intercede except for him whom He accepteth, and they quake for awe of Him. The Prophets 26:28 Holy Quran

ONE GOD. ONE MESSAGE. All the Prophets were sent by God to mankind to guide them to the straight path, the path of God so we can go back to our true home which is Paradise.

Jesus taught his disciples that this Earth is not the true home and mankind is traveling as a pilgrim on our journey towards God, a pilgrim does not encumber himself with unnecessary burden but bring only light things and prized for their usefulness. He taught that people of Paradise should build their home in Paradise through good deeds on earth and proper worship of God, not by competing to build big houses and amassing wealth on earth that one forgets his God but by building a treasure that no man can steal and which treasure he can bring to Paradise his true home.

God has promised through all his messengers and prophets that WHOEVER believes that God is ONLY ONE GOD and believe in ALL His Messengers and do good works will be able to come home to the Garden of Paradise which is the rightful inheritance of the Children of Adam who persevered and overcome evil because they believed in God and His promise, who is more truthful in promise but God?

I have one message to all who believe that GOD is ONLY ONE.

O You who believe, if you truly believe that God is Only One and you do good works not doing to others what you don't want others to do to you, you are but one step into receiving the SEAL OF GOD, with which He seal those who believe in Him and His Messengers. The only way you can receive this SEAL is to believe in ALL of God's Messengers, from Adam unto the last and Final prophet sent unto mankind- who was given the SEAL of the Prophets, the Prophet of those who have surrendered to God, The Prophet Muhammad, peace and God's blessing be upon him and his family.
If you believe in God, believe in all the messengers that He has sent because that is the Key to Eternal Life, the Key that will open the Doors of Paradise. By Him in whose hand is my soul, no man who will deny the Prophet Muhammad as a messenger of God will enter Paradise, even if you do good works and give to charity your works will be in vain because you DENY GOD and HIS MESSENGER, you cannot believe in God and disbelieve in His Messenger. The SEAL OF GOD is to believe in God and His Scriptures and His Messengers and whoever receives this seal will enter the Paradise of God.

Say, (O Muhammad, to mankind): if ye love Allah, follow me; Allah will love you and forgive you your sins. Allah is Forgiving, merciful. Family of Imran 3:31 Holy Quran.

Muhammad is not the father of any man among you, but he is the messenger of Allah and the Seal of the Prophets; and Allah is ever Aware of all things. 33:40

Jesus himself has testified that Muhammad is the messenger of God in his true Gospel and prayed to God that those who believe in him will be joined to the congregation of the Last and Final Prophet and Messenger of God whose name is Muhammad.

"Lord God, the merciful, that shows mercy to a thousand generations upon them that fear You, have mercy upon them which believe my words that you have given me. For even as you are true God, so Your word which I have spoken is true; for it is Yours, seeing I have ever spoken as one that reads, who cannot read save that which is written in the book that he reads: even so have I spoken that which you have given me.

'Lord God the Saviour, save them whom You have given me, in order that Satan may not be able to do aught against them, and save not only them, but every one that shall believe in them. Lord, bountiful and rich in mercy, grant to your servant to be in the congregation of Your Messenger; on the Day of Judgment: and not me only, but every one whom you have given me, with all them that shall believe on me through their preaching. And this do, Lord, for your own sake, that Satan boast not himself against you, Lord.

'Lord God, who by your providence provides all things necessary for your people Israel, be mindful of all the tribes of the earth, which you have promised to bless by your Messenger Muhammad, for whom you did create the world. "

Peace to all believers!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join