It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The true cost of smoking

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
When I have to step outside to smoke my cigarette, I do not want to breathe in car exhaust of the passing cars, it is dangerous to my health and I am allergic to the exhaust. Any laws about that?

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Perfectly put!!!

Star for you and applause if I could.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
I don't really care if you smoke or not.

It's your right.

But I shouldn't have to pay for your health care.

Let's be fair. It's your choice to smoke. It should be my choice to not have to pay for your habit.

then go outside.. and stop traffic and tell that to every single person driving a car.

the emissions from vehicles vaaaaastly outweigh the emissions from smokers.

get a life.

-

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious

I will respond with one of my favorite quotes by Napoleon.

"Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake." - Puff away dude.

Thank you for recognizing its my mistake to make..not anyone elses..so by all means...step aside and let us make our mistake in peace while we puff our life away.

Find solace in the fact that they now have portable oxygen tanks that will easily fit ito the cup holder of your walker.

Enjoy...kk

LOL!!! Not a single member of my family, who btw happens to have a history of living byond the age of 100, has ever had to use a breather, a walker or had to have our drink in a cup holder. And we all smoked.

I bet you right here and now, that you will be in a walker or wheel chair or using a breather LONG before I ever will. I guarantee it.

Cheers!!!!

(lights one up)

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   

I too rest my case and light up another and hold it up high like the statue in the sky in NY harbor and loudly say

AMERICA--Land of the FREE..and the FREEDOM to be FREE!!

Salutes to TRN.

Cheers!!!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   

TheRedneck that was awesome. I couldn't put it better than that myself.

You spelled it out to a perfect T what the real argument truly is.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   

I have saved your entire post complete and printed it out and now have it hanging proudly above my monitor and have it in mht format ready to call upon when the drums of anti-smoker bang-a-gongs come along to try to stomp on more of our freedom to choose and freedom to be free.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I've heard more smokers say they have the right to smoke. Feel free to show a legal document that says you have the right to smoke. I don't believe one exists but I can admit if I'm wrong.

Anyway. Being in the medical field I can't understand why anyone would smoke. Call me crazy, but I have no desire to go out like many smokers do. I work in the ER and the other night a woman came in from a hospice because her trach tube was clogged. When the ambulance brought her in I was in another room tending to someone else but I figured this would be like all other trach tubes I've unclogged, no biggie. When I walked into her room I was taken back by the patient. Her head was literally larger than a basketball and had little venous return. Her tongue was bulging out, her eyes were swollen shut and she was completely helpless. It didn't take long to realize she had esophageal cancer and turns out it was from years of smoking.

Maybe some smokers can help me because I can't figure this out. By smoking, you're more than likely going to go out with a bang. It's going to be unbelievably terrible with more pain than you know what to do with. You're going to come to the ER, I'm going to see you and I'm going to know that you're going to die, but I won't tell you that. You'll be admitted to a floor, they'll run a lot of tests on you, you'll be referred to an oncologist and the whole time you'll be clinging to hope but the medical staff will know you don't have a chance and you're going to die. You'll go through all kinds of fun cancer treatment that probably won't do a damn thing and your family will be crying and praying the treatment will work and you'll get better, but you won't. Eventually you'll be taking about 1 breath every minute and a half. You'll still be responsive but only responsive enough to squeeze your loved one's hand. Soon after that your body will begin to shut down. The doctors and nurses won't do anything because they know nothing will save you. Your family will watch as you go into asystole and then that'll be it. That seems like a scary situation to me.

And don't think this is uncommon, it happens all the time. Ask to shadow a physician on the oncology floor.

And no one cares if you have a grandma that lived until she was 100 and smoked all her life. That's not going to happen to you. That's extremely rare so don't bother bringing it up.

Quit being stubborn asses and stop smoking. It's not like you don't know smoking is bad for you. There are few things as stupid as smoking. Also, quit bringing up car fumes. That's a terrible argument. If you can possibly say that removing even a little toxin from the air is a bad thing, you're an idiot.

Smoking is bad for you and everyone else. Quit being stupid. There's no justification.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I just hate Big Tobacco and how teens are smoking.

Tobacco companies are making such a large profit in 3rd world countries such as China and India that they're even embarrassed.

Why do people waste money on smoking, something that will not help anyone?

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
I bet you right here and now, that you will be in a walker or wheel chair or using a breather LONG before I ever will. I guarantee it. (lights one up)

You are on my friend. But how about a little warm-up?

2 laps of the pool underwater? Race up the stairs?

Tell me you honestly have experienced no ill side effects like persistent smoker's cough or irritability when you can't light up?

I'll pay you on the spot if you can truthfully answer no.

Back on topic. Aside from the "Smoker's Rights" aspect of this thread, I'd like to point out the addiction aspects of smoking.

What Is A Smoking Addiction?

A smoking addiction means a person has formed an uncontrollable dependence on cigarettes to the point where stopping smoking would cause severe emotional, mental, or physical reactions.

www.ehealthmd.com...

It would appear, as with any other addiction, it takes fearsome will power and personal discipline to overcome. Not to imply that smokers are weak mind you. Nicotine seems to comprise the highly addictive chemical component. However, I have found that cigarette smokers don't like being categorized as drug addicts.

But, from personal experience, I know a drug is a drug and denial is denial.

regards...kk

[edit on 29-1-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

"I'll pay you on the spot if you can truthfully answer no. "

How will you send him the money - paypal, cheque, money order?

You anti-smokers - you'll say anything. Even lies.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Hey back off.

This is between me and chimney-breath.

And I am not "Anti" anything, except ignorance.

KK

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
I bet you right here and now, that you will be in a walker or wheel chair or using a breather LONG before I ever will. I guarantee it. (lights one up)

You are on my friend. But how about a little warm-up?

2 laps of the pool underwater? Race up the stairs?

I go up 6 flights of stairs each with 10 steps a piece every single day to reach my apartment on the 3rd floor and I dont experience any problems at all.

2 laps only? We can do better than that. 4 or more is usually my normal summer time swimming excercise.

Tell me you honestly have experienced no ill side effects like smoker's cough or
the "shakes" when you can't light up? I'll pay you on the spot if you can truthfully answer no.

Nope. The only time I cough is when I get one of them bugs from all the alledgedly healthy non smokers spreading it around. When I stay at home and away from all them non-smokers in public places, I never get any illnesses.

Back on topic. Aside from the "Smoker's Rights" aspect of this thread, I'd like to point out
the addiction aspects of smoking.

There isnt a single smoker alive that does not claim smoking is not addictive. I dont even make that claim. I simply state that I have quit before, can quit whenever I decide to and choose to not to quit at this time. It is my right to choose that. If that just erks some of you well cry in one hand and pour water in the other..see which one fills up first.

Clean air is a myth, ever since the early days of the coal fired steam engine locomotive. And dispite how you may think your vehicle is spewing out tons of "clean" exaust, there is a reason why it produces that pewtrid smell..thats called toxic fumes of un-burned fuel. And your vehicle alone will pump out 100 times more toxic air that you breath in directly than from my lifetime of cigarettes.

Are you aware that the almighty CDC has proven that indoor air is worse than the outdoor air in both homes and work places? When was the last time you had your vents in your home cleaned?

Here is an experiment you can do to find out just how "clean" your air is.

Take a white towel, attach it to a stick and shove that into one of your air vents. Pull it back out. If you see a bunch of dark soot and lint on that white towel..then you have your answer to your breathing problems that you expose yourself to each day when your in your own smoke free home.

Do this in your car's vents too.

Do this at your workplace vents as well.

Come back and let us know the results.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Well, with all this talk about smoking, I thought I would add a little bit here.
The reason they tax smokes is in states with high cigarette taxes they have seen an actual decline in smoking. The more expensive the cigarettes are taxed the public would be less likely to smoke them. The issue with the Big Macs is that they probably use trans-fat to cook them under the guise of partial-hydrogenated oil or, hydrogenated oil. Trans fat is really bad stuff that is morely to clog your arteries than regular oil. Trans fat is basically super saturated oil that the fast food industry claims that helps the oil fresh longer. Partial hydrogenated oil gives you a semi solid substance like margarine that is heat resistant up to about 70 F.
Hydrogenated oil gives you a solid that is heat resistant to at least 100 F.
There is a better way to perserve oil with antioxidants like Vitamins C & E like the other food manufacturers. Oxidation rots oil. Another problem is that society just accepts diesel air pollution instead of controlling it like it does with cars. Why is that we force Joe Gas Engine owner to use air pollution control technology while letting Joe Diesel Engine to pollute our lungs like it wasn't a crime? Basf sells a "Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC) and Catalyzed Soot Filter (CSF) technology specifically for diesel retrofit applications.

Customer Benefits
Customers now have a way to cost-effectively meet tighter emission regulations and extend the life of their vehicles. This can also save energy and materials versus manufacturing a new vehicle.
Approach
These technologies were developed with BASF’s proprietary materials and diesel modeling capabilities. This enabled our researchers to rapidly develop cost-effective technologies to address these challenging applications.

Partners
BASF sells through distributors to reach the retrofit market. These distributors provide the local service and support that is critical in this market. It is important to note that government funding drives most of this market. There are a number of such government-funded programs all over the world.

"* *"from their [b]"Diesel Retrofit – Cleaner air for all of us. web page at basf.com. They have placed ads referring to this tech for years in Discover magazine. By the way, I'm not trying to plug this as a commercial for them. I'm only doing this inform people not to push their product. Most people don't understand that their own vehicle's cost incorporates the cost of their own air pollution control tech a.k.a. catalytic converters just like cell phones aren't free because their cost is included in their contract. Bye.
Site:
www.basf.com...

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   

reply to post by Exuberant1

Hey back off.

This is between me and chimney-breath.

And I am not "Anti" anything, except ignorance.

KK

I question that last statement to the nth degree.

And just as anyone who is a member of ATS has the right to interact in a discussion, Exuberant1 has that right as well. Quit trying to stomp on people's rights ok.

You are starting to go way over the line there. Perhaps YOU should back off.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
reply to post by kinda kurious

"I'll pay you on the spot if you can truthfully answer no. "

How will you send him the money - paypal, cheque, money order?

You anti-smokers - you'll say anything. Even lies.

Ahh he can keep his money..he will need it for that walker or breather once he finds out just how "clean" the air is in his own smoke free home after doing the white towel test on them air vents.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

OK Marlboro Man, I will try your experiment, if you try mine.

Take a big puff on you ciggy, hold a Kleenex over your mouth and exhale.

That brown gooey stuff is coating your lungs.

So no ill effects at all? I suspect you are lying through your tar-stained teeth.

And since one of my posts was deleted and I have been attacked, some more fun facts:

Lung function normally peaks in the late teens and early twenties. After the early twenties, lung function declines about 1 percent a year over the rest of a person's lifetime. Lung function decreases about 2 percent a year for people who smoke.

Source: www.mamashealth.com...

KK

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

reply to post by RFBurns

OK Marlboro Man, I will try your experiment, if you try mine.

Take a big puff on you ciggy, hold a Kleenex over your mouth and exhale.

That brown gooey stuff is coating your lungs.

So no ill effects at all? I suspect you are lying through your tar-stained teeth.

KK

No where have I ever said that I dont accumilate cigarette "gooey" stuff. Of course it accumilates in my lungs...hmm...MY lungs..not yours.

I appreciate your concern for MY lungs tho. BTW, I do brush too so I can assure you I got a nice set of white chopps, all intact and all original. My buisness sort of requires me to have a nice smile for my clients and buisness partners. See..

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I was wondering when you'd show up Redneck, there was another smoking thread you completely shut everyone up in to hahaha.

kudos man!

I now have a near perfect argument everytime someone tells me the dangers of smoking. Thanx!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I publicly berate smokers who move next to me and start smoking, but if I move into their space and there's nowhere else for me to stand, I won't say anything.
I love it how our society has come to the point where we can tell smokers off for stinking the place up, without any repurcussions of 'political correctness'.

Oh, and another thing, smokers always leave their filthy stinky cigarette butts all over the ground without a concern for anybody else. Not to mention the property damage done to the walls next to the front door done by smokers leaning up against them, putting their cigarettes out on the tiling, etc.

You smokers think you only affect yourselves and that the only (false?) concern the rest of us should have is that we might get cancer from it... well, that isn't the case. Being surrounded by smokers leads to passive smoking, and we can actually get addicted to cigarettes if we are exposed to enough smoke, which can lead to us becoming smokers, and getting cancer. Hence, passive smoking DOES kill, just not directly, so less culpability.

[edit on 29/1/2009 by nrky]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join