It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking Banned in Homes-California Adopts 'Hitler's Policy'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Smoking Banned in Homes-California Adopts 'Hitler's Policy'

www.prisonplanet.com

In Belmont, Calif. it is now illegal to smoke in your own home and, as John Blackstone reports, the new law has angered one woman who’s now on a mission.

(visit the link for the full news article)

+13 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Are you freaking kidding me?

The state of California seems to be getting more and more ridiculous by the day.

Now you can't even smoke in YOUR OWN HOME in the city of Belmont, because of it "posing a health hazard to others".

What kind of gestapo rule of law are they pulling here.

Adolf would be proud to live in good ol' sunny cali...LOL

www.prisonplanet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Insane.

Smokers are now treated as less-than-human.

That is disgusting.

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I wasn't a real good student in school, but I sure think I remember something in the constitution protecting the privacy very seriously in one's own home.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Wow this is reall really sad.

I smoke. I would love for them to come into my home and tell me to put my cig out! There would be consequences!

Seriously though the general tone towards smokers now is to say the least, horrible.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
This is just ridiculous.

Smoking is legal. And, people should be able to smoke in their own homes. Hell, we pay for them. I don't care if you live in a house, a condo, an apartment, or a shack in the woods. It is your home, you pay to live there (either a mortgage or rent), and what goes on in your home (as long as it is a legal activity) is no one's business but yours.

I smoke. But, I don't smoke around non-smokers. Luckily, no such people live in my home.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Not in Homes persay, but Aparments, Condos etc.

As of January 9, 2009, smoking will be prohibited in individual units and their patio/yard areas of multi-unit, multi-story residences (apartments, condominiums, and townhouses) that share common floors and/or ceilings with at least one other such unit. Landlords will be required to insert no-smoking provisions in any new or renewed residential leases; the California Apartment Association has provided an approved form for this purpose. Landlords may designate outdoor smoking areas if they are more than 20’ away from operable doors or windows used by the public. Smoking in indoor common areas of multi-unit residences was already prohibited by a prior ordinance, and the new ordinance continued that prohibition.

Source

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 29-1-2009 by elevatedone]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I don't like second hand smoke, I don't like the smell or the way my lungs feel after breathing it.

But this is freaking insane.

If I go to someone's house and they're a smoker, it is their right to smoke and my right to not go to their house if I don't like the smell.

It is NOBODY'S right to take away THEIR right.

If that makes sense.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

Now you can't even smoke in YOUR OWN HOME in the city of Belmont, because of it "posing a health hazard to others".

I just wonder how they plan to enforce this one? Is there a reward for tuning your neighbors in or something? Will stores ask what your address is when you purchase cigarettes?

edit to fix quote

[edit on 29-1-2009 by Enthralled Fan]

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

I don't care....I live in an apartment; it is my home.

I pay rent on that apartment each month. What I do in my apartment, as long as it is legal, is no one's business but mine. If I want to smoke in my apartment, I should be able to do so. My home, my legal right.

I don't like the fact that my downstairs neighbor cooks greens and stinking sourkraut 2 or 3 times a week; it stinks, gives me a headache, and makes me nauseous. But, it is her house and she can cook whatever she likes until someone has the good sense to make sourkraut illegal.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

Keep your eyes peeled, cigarettes will be outlawed before you know it...

That is going to hurt EVERYBODY because many states get a good chunk of their income from "sin taxes" like this.

I don't care what anyone says, America is getting more and more conservative!

[edit on 29-1-2009 by asmeone2]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Won't happen; brings in way too many tax dollars.

But, these days, nothing surprises me or would surprise me. It isn't like we are a free country any longer......

Conservative? By banning smoking in apartments/condos?? That's a more liberal agenda....all the conservatives I know smoke like chimneys and drink like fish.

[edit on 1/29/2009 by skeptic1]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2

That is going to hurt EVERYBODY because many states get a good chunk of their income from "sin taxes" like this.

That is exactly why smoking will not go anywhere. They make way to much taxes off of it.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Ah, ok, in apartments, condo's and the like. That news source seems to sensationalize.

Nothing unique about it then. If you look at the classifieds, many listings state they will only rent to non-smokers.

The fact that some town made it a law doesn't surprise me.

If I owned property that I wanted to rent, I would specify non-smoking too, because you can never get rid of the smell once a smoker has been in your home.

Sorry, this doesn't upset me as much as banning it in a persons own home. When you are renting property, you don't own it, and unfortunately have to live by the rules of the owner.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I just want to know how they plan to enforce it.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Yeah, though I don't live in California, I do share the anger toward this...

I respected their wishes when they began declaring bars to be smoke free, a little time on the patio instead doesn't bother me.

I respected their wishes when they requested we not smoke within a certain distance of an entrance.

I didn't respect, but still obeyed when they declared all public transit property to be smoke free.

I loathed the fact that they banned ventilated smoking rooms and banned smoking in any public facility or private business.

I'm steamed up about not being allowed to smoke under an overhang, umbrella, or any form of awning above my head... that law I DON'T obey.
(I'm not about to stand in hail, sleet, snow, and rain just because I'm a smoker. I have the basic human right to shelter too.)

And yes, now even here in Canada they're discussing the same options as you're hearing of in California. There are people trying to make it illegal to smoke in your own home.

Lets see if I get this right.
Can't smoke in the woods, fire hazard.
Can't smoke on the sidewalk, you're always 9 meters from an entrance.
Can't smoke indoors, anywhere.
Can't smoke under tarps, canopies, or anything else over your head.

That makes... the middle of a 4x4 lane intersection practically the only place you ARE allowed to smoke.

They know they can't just ban smoking, the people don't want that.
So instead they pussyfoot around the issue, by slowly taking away the circumstances where you are allowed to smoke.

Luckily here in Canada, the police aren't paying attention to the anti-smoking laws that are coming out, for the most part.
I smoke right next to police quite often, the most I've ever gotten from them is "Smells good, what brand?" (Djarums black if you're curious)

At one point I actually mentioned to a cop "Oh, I'm under an overhang aren't I? I'll move." The officer actually said "Heh, don't worry about it, that rule is ridiculous anyways, I don't enforce it. Don't think anyone does."

They know about the anti-smoking laws, and they chose not to enforce them.

So, victory for the smokers there.

link   
reply to post by Enthralled Fan

That's what I was just wondering...it would seem to approach impossible. Obviously, the city has no other pressing issues...somehow I doubt that.

link   

Originally posted by Anonymous Avatar

Originally posted by asmeone2

That is exactly why smoking will not go anywhere. They make way to much taxes off of it.

Don't be so naive, man.

Smoking is outlawed in restaurants, public places, houses, even cars in some places, do you think that isn't going to drive down revenues?

Once you put in that kind of legislation it's only a step away to m aking it illegal.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I smoked since i was 12 and quit 10 years ago. As far as I'm concerned it's a totally useless habit but everyone has that right to do what they want. I'm not one of those ex smokers who makes a fuss and complains about others.Could care less and it doesn't bother me if somebody smokes around me.

One thing i find EXTREMELY HYPOCRITICAL lately is the laws that are being passed ALWAYS have a different meaning and double standard when appled to a citizen as opposed to a politician, cop or state/fed employee.

How come state/feds aren't complaining/outlawing factories that pump out their toxic plumes of smoke into the air daily, or about the poisons put into our food or chemicals in our water, none of which we willingly asked for,want or accept. Yet it's still done and nobody is held accountable.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
They will just stalk "known" home smokers, fine them, jail them.
Just like the rest of all the criminals.

i just dont believe it

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join