It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking Banned in Homes-California Adopts 'Hitler's Policy'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I am terrified at the world that my children and grand children are going to have to grow up in...
They will have no rights left at all...

California voted Arnold in so what do they expect...???
He has his close family ties to the Nazis...Right...???

I looked on youtube...in the right hand column and saw this...
MANDATORY FLU SHOTS...For children 6 months and up...(New Jersy)
I don't know if anyone has done a thread on this but someone should...
I am disabled and have never posted my own thread b4...
I mostly just read on here...
Someone can take this link and run with it if you like...Here...

www.youtube.com...

I am sickened more every day at our loss of rights and freedoms...

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
They are relaxed here too in Las Vegas. Bars and Grills have found ways around the law. They do have a non-smoking room for the food part, but if you order food around the bar, they deliver it to you in a to go box, because they aren't supposed to serve food around the smoke. However, it's not illegal if we should happen to change our mind and decide to eat there. Or other places refuse to serve food at the bar, even though they still serve food near that area.

I haven't heard anyone complain about it yet.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
California is so concerned about clean air, then why dont they do something about the smog that overtakes cigarette smoke by 1000 fold?!!

California was never a good example of anything..except for making movies.

Cheers!!!!

I know you can't mean that.
I have lived in many parts of the country - California gets a bad rap.
California represents a highly diverse cultural population. Because of this - it opens people up to a way of thinking beyond the norm - and outside the box. For this reason - it is a great place to learn about yourself and learn about others.
It is home to many new ideas and has set the stage for these ideas to be considered in other parts of the country. California takes risks.

I don't agree with this new smoking law - it's gone too far.
I don't think the Governor was a good choice.
I think we are in big trouble financially and
I am certain the "big one" is not too far off -

But California has been a tremendous contributor in the freedom of thought.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Son Of Liberty
I don't like second hand smoke, I don't like the smell or the way my lungs feel after breathing it.

But this is freaking insane.

If I go to someone's house and they're a smoker, it is their right to smoke and my right to not go to their house if I don't like the smell.

It is NOBODY'S right to take away THEIR right.

If that makes sense.

You are an honest, reasonable, rational person.

This is a control issue. The people behind these things are control freaks who want to dictate to everyone else. They are clearly suffering from Delusions of Grandeur and mentally ill. Sad there are so many of these mentally ill folks in power.

Next what you eat will be monitored and controlled. It is just over the horizon. 1984 is here in all its glory. A few years late, but Orwell was right. Look at the UK. We will be that bad in a few years.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo

Originally posted by RFBurns
California is so concerned about clean air, then why dont they do something about the smog that overtakes cigarette smoke by 1000 fold?!!

California was never a good example of anything..except for making movies.

Cheers!!!!

I know you can't mean that.
I have lived in many parts of the country - California gets a bad rap.
California represents a highly diverse cultural population. Because of this - it opens people up to a way of thinking beyond the norm - and outside the box. For this reason - it is a great place to learn about yourself and learn about others.
It is home to many new ideas and has set the stage for these ideas to be considered in other parts of the country. California takes risks.

I don't agree with this new smoking law - it's gone too far.
I don't think the Governor was a good choice.
I think we are in big trouble financially and
I am certain the "big one" is not too far off -

But California has been a tremendous contributor in the freedom of thought.

I was being sarcastic. I used to live in Lompoc near Vandenburg AFB....years and years and years ago!! Sheesh, am I that old??? ACK!!

Problem here is that if California, which is so broke right now, were to ban smoking in people's own homes, that would hurt the economy even more because then people would not buy as much smokes, or even go as far as to move out of the state.

Its an infringement upon the rights of Americans. A person's home is THEIR castle, not the state's or the city's or the county's or even the country. It is the owner's castle and the owner has every right to do as they wish in their home.

Now what if people were to begin to propose for a law that banned pet dogs becaues their poop smell in the neighbors' yard drifted over to the house next door and saturated their furniture and carpet with that smell?

Would California at that point ban pets or pet poop in your own yard?

Its the same level with this banning smoking in your own home...stupid and utterly rediculous.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Freedom of thought...but apparently, that's it.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
The supposed the dangers of second -hand smoke are now being re-evaluated. Some experts say they're much exaggerated. It's just politically correct to be a non-smoker and look down on those who do smoke. IMO, it's something of a class issue, too, since more working class people smoke.

I know of a community in Maryland where residents are forbidden to smoke not only in their own homes but also in their own yards. Like, the smoke is going to drift a few blocks into their neighbors' windows and kill them.

The question of condos is a more complicated one. The smoker owns the condo and it's his or her private property, but the people in the next condo could be affected and they own their home as well. I've heard people claim that cigarette smoke can leak through the walls of their unit from the one next door, though I'm sceptical that it actually does. One couple in a documentary was suing their neighbors because they were smokers and, they thought, causing their property value to go down. It could still be ok if the smokers could just go out on their balconies or on their porches, but it seems people want to ban that too.

What happens if a person moves into a smoking-permitted unit and then a few years later is told they can't smoke? Would they legally have to move out? Would there be special smoking ghettos located in the less desirable parts of town?

It's getting insane.

Just burn a little incense like you do when you're not smoking tobacco.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by daddyroo45

Not the sex, please don't take the sex! Nooooooooooo!!!

The way things are going, pretty soon they'll charge a tax for everytime we flush a toliet.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
I wasn't a real good student in school, but I sure think I remember something in the constitution protecting the privacy very seriously in one's own home.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
I wasn't a real good student in school, but I sure think I remember something in the constitution protecting the privacy very seriously in one's own home.

America is built on doing what you want in privacy if it doesn't affect your neighbor explain to me why this would affect your neighbor.

this is the third line.

-Psycho.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
Insane.

Smokers are now treated as less-than-human.

That is disgusting.

Do you want to know why?

What happens when a gay person, black person, or a woman gets discriminated against? The whole group rallies around them and boycotts.

What happens when a smoker gets discriminated against? He puts his cigarettes away and just deals with it, or perhaps he himself gets upset, but he can get no support from fellow smokers.

The simple fact is that every bully will only pick on those who allow it. Smokers will never come together, white people will never come together, and most other groups that live in a world where they only care about themselves will never come together. Thus the bully comes in and dominates their lives, knowing full well that they have no cohesion as a group. This will continue until the people get some sense which will probably be never.

Dealing with the government is just like dealing with a child, they will take as much as you will willingly give, they will push you as far as you will allow them to push you. Why do you think in most families the child does not listen to the mother as well as the father? They know just how far they can push both parents and will exercise that ability whenever it suits them. The government, be it local, state, or federal is absolutely no different.

Here's a great quote from Thomas Jefferson regarding this:

"It behooves every man who values liberty of conscience for himself, to resist invasions of it in the case of others: or their case may, by change of circumstances, become his own."

And yet another:

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."

The first quote perfectly describes this situation. Smokers, non-smokers, it doesn't matter. If you do not defend all liberties, the next one taken away may be one you care about.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

Ah - : ) A little Sarcasm - a good thing.

I completely agree with you on the smoking ban issue.
This is control at its most obvious, absurd and disturbing.

People are actually moving out of California at record rates.
The writing is on the wall.
The state is busted (like a lot of them will be).
Arnie has put fluoride back in the water -
rentals are over the top expensive and
they have posted new tsunami signs on the coasts.
Probably time for a lot of us to go.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by LysCat
Freedom of thought...but apparently, that's it.

I think this was meant for me... no?
This is a crazy decision I agree. Not at all a free-thinking societal move.

I think it is ironic.
Selling cigarettes - legal.
Smoking them - not.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

Actually, in some places, they will fine you if you don't pick up your dogs poop in your own yard, they consider it "unsightly". I lived in one of those places. I wouldn't be surprised if within the next couple of years, this "no smoking in the home" trend will go national. The so called do gooders don't realize that by having the government put up more and more bans on things that they are creating a bubble that is soon to burst in the worst possible way. People can only take so much before they snap.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

I can see where some legislation would be called for in the condo scenario, maybe require owners to have exaust venting installed or require the condos to be built with those features.

But to come along later and declare a ban on anyone's right to smoke in their own dwelling is no different from government or city officials from having a key to your front door and just walking in unannounced and at any time..say at a time when your with your significant other having a good time, or in the shower...invasion of privacy. And in your own home, condo or house or mobil home or apartment that you own, that is your space to do as you wish, your private chunk of the world.

Non smokers who push for this ban crap just have to get over the fact that just as they would want privacy and the right to do what they want in their own dwellings, smokers have that same right.

We could join forces..us smokers, and petition for a ban on the non-smoker's pet dog who craps in the front and back yards and on my section of the yard stinking up the place.

Maybe the state will pass a pet ban and a pet poop ban. Ya that will work!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
my first thought that comes to mind is that there are other things that can cause cancer, water that we drink, air we breath, and the food that we eat so smoking should not matter.
How far will the goverment go to take all of the rights away from the people? I thought the sex thing was funny, lol

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by itinerantseeker

Heh, they will have a very hard time making that national ban enforcable in Wyoming and in Texas! Both states are smoker's havens. Not to mention all the Native American reservations would put up one hell of a fight if they are forced to stop smoking their pipes.

Dont see it happening. The government, both federal and states, depend on the huge taxes we pay on our smokes and depend on the taxes paid on alcohol.

They ban that, and they take away a huge chunk of their daily tax intake.

Not to mention, be the cause of opening up a whole new black market where already they cannot win the war on illegal drugs.

Ya they are dreaming it will work for the better..when in fact, history has proven prohibition does not work.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
It starts with condo's and apartments, and next it will be houses.
Was this for rented condo's? Because some people own them. Either way your home is your home.

I'm getting sick of all these rules.

Here in Canada the laws are enforced in most Bars, but not others, but you still have to freeze your ass off sitting in a open room, which fortunately has enough body heat going because it's the most crowded area. Now we have the law where the stores can't display cigarretes for sale. That's ok, at least they're still for sale .... but soon they won't be, I can see that one coming. We also have a by-law that within certain distance of a school, no matter what time of day, or if children even live there or visit, you can't smoke weed in your house that you own. I can see if your selling or growing it, but what right do they have to make these rules?

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazyjames65
my first thought that comes to mind is that there are other things that can cause cancer, water that we drink, air we breath, and the food that we eat so smoking should not matter.

Mercury in High Fructose Syrup
Fluoride
Aspartame
Genetically modified foods
Nuclear waste - ...etc...etc...etc...

There is an endless list of destructive elements that are ok'd and never talked about.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Good thing Obama is [apparently] a smoker.
Maybe he will do something. Yeah, probably not. Perhaps he will state that a federal law overrides a state law. Smoking is federally legal and therefore not a criminal act if you choose to smoke.

If you legally smoke marijuana in California (with a license, obviously), the feds can still bust you because federal laws override state laws. Hopefully, tobacco smokers in these cities can use this example against the state government if they are prosecuted.

I used to live in an apartment next door to a major pain-in-the-ass, always-whining-and-complaining woman. She claimed she could smell my smoke coming through her power outlets. Being the nice guy I am, I started smoking outdoors. She claimed it came through her window. I told her to keep her freakin' windows shut -- you don't get to control every second of my life. She whined about a lot of other things, too. She was just that kind of person, the kind you wish you could lock up in a dark basement somewhere.

[edit on 1/29/2009 by pjslug]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join