It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking Banned in Homes-California Adopts 'Hitler's Policy'

page: 20
<< 17  18  19   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
Well, guess what? I'm not happy with my present job. So that means my rights have been violated because I don't have the kind of job I want.

I'm not happy with the truck I drive. My rights are being violated because I don't have enough money to buy a better truck.

I'm really not happy that the last bailout bill was passed. My rights are now being violated.

Couldn't agree more...uncanny how the role can change.
I'm not happy about being descriminated against. My rights are now being violated. I'm also not happy about the lack of gov't concern for the sovereignty of our nation and it's borders. But that would mean that California would have to address a real problem, now wouldn't it?

[edit on 2/3/2009 by venom79x]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by sadisticwoman

Stop polluting my air, and I'll stop imposing my views on you.

Sure, we need people working the low paying jobs- but they shouldn't have to work over 40 hours a week just to support a stupid habit. Smokers should be forced to go into rehab just as heroin users are. If people stop needing to work so many hours, that leaves hours open for more people to take, which helps alleviate unemployment.

by that note..same should go for females with sadistic tendencies.

-

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Thank you for posting this. I was about to say that the law wasn't aimed at private homes but towards multi dwelling units like apartment buildings.

However, my stance with this is that an apartment complex, unless funded in some way by the government (low income and such), is still PRIVATE property and that you should still have the right to smoke in your place as long as the complex allows it.

So, the OP is a little misleading. It's the typical spin we will find from prisonplanet. I do like some of the information Alex puts out but his typical political tactic of spinning it in the worse possible manner gets tiresome. All it does is get people riled up about something that is not nearly as bad as he is saying it is.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Please go to and restaurant and drink beer wine till your so intoxicated you hit a car with a baby in it and kill it....
That happens 300+ times a day in america..

But heaven forbid you smoke while drunk.... lol

But what do you expect...a action movie star is the governor there.
NOT a politician!!!

You can dress a monkey in a suit and have it shake hands and smile..but a politician it does not make.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Revealation

Redneck,what's up my brother, how you been?

Not too shabby, Revealation. I'm one of those people who are hard to get down. As long as I have a smoke and a place to lay my head, I'm happy. Wouldn't it be wonderful if some of the anti-smokers needed so little to enjoy life?

The raise in pressure increase making the body work overtime is the reason for my post, though looking at my comment and how I'm going to agree with your next statement,It's gonna be a little contradicting.

It would seem the science itself is contradictory, so I'd have to give you some slack in that respect. Besides, it is so rare to be able to discuss the facts and theories on this subject with someone who is not rabid, I wouldn't dare give you grief for no reasonable cause.

The blood pressure increase does indeed appear to be the work of a stimulant. I can't argue against that.

Here's where it's contradicting (but makes sense, at least to me). I used to smoke and drink and sniff blo, weed trip, etc. You name it I probably did it. Was a wild NY youngbuck (God I hate this state). I believe that the irritation and restlesness comes from the withdrawal and the body's need to feed on the chemical. Once the bdy receives it it feels more relaxed.

The removal of withdrawal symptoms (typically known as a nicotine 'fit') could well be a major reason for the relaxation that accompanies smoking. But it appears there is more to it than that. Even when I have not been deprived of nicotine, a cigarette relaxes me. Moreso, I have noticed that I undergo a definite rise in the amount I smoke when subjected to stressful situations. When faced with such situations, I find that allowing myself to smoke more (note I didn't say making myself smoke more; I simply stop watching how much I smoke for a while) makes it much easier for me to swallow my objections to the current situation and maintain composure. Again, that is the action of a tranquilizer.

I should clarify that I do indeed monitor how much I smoke. My 'normal' smoking rate before I started rolling my own was about 2 packs a day. that means that if I opened more than two packs in a days time, I knew I was smoking more. If I only opened one, I was smoking less. Many times I have been driving along and just noticed that it had been hours since my last cigarette, while other times I would be astonished at how quickly that pack had vanished. If my rate of smoking went up without an obvious stress source, I would think over my day thus far to try and find what was bothering me. Rarely could I not locate the source of my stress this way.

My present rate since starting to produce my own smokes is a little over a pack a day. That decrease is with no conscious attempt to reduce my smoking. I attribute it to the difference between fresh tobacco and commercially-rolled cigarettes.

Basically smoking isn't relaxing because it raises the bloodpressure wheras your body has to work overtime (stimulates) and the reason you feel more relaxed could be compared to a heroin addict detoxing with methodone. You need to slowly decrease the dosage so the body doesn't go into shock.That's why you feel relaxed when you get your dosage. Not that I'm comparing you to a heroin addict but just using it as an example, so please don't take offence.

No offense taken, my friend. As I mentioned above, the 'fix' effect might well be at cause for at least some of the tranquilizing effect. Yet, I do not believe it is the sole reason. Have you ever noticed that if you smoke too heavily, you tend to get tired and sleepy? If nicotine were a true stimulant, it would produce the opposite effect when a higher-than-normal dose were administered.

Perhaps nicotine could be seen as a mixture of both stimulant and tranquilizer? Obviously it does constrict blood vessels, raising blood pressure. But it also produces muscle relaxation of striated (voluntary) tissues, and does provide a more serene composure as well.

Don't think I'm being judgemental, because believe me, I'm extremely open minded and aint offended by anyones lifestyle. Besides it would just make me a hypocrite considering I smoked/partied since I was 12 .I definately understand the point of view and know first hand from experience.Guess that's what makes it intersting. Rather than listen to someone who has never experienced it state their opinions. At least i have experienced both ends of the spectrum.

It is indeed refreshing to hear from someone who can at least try to take a logical approach to questions that are raised. I only say 'try' because I do understand that this has become a severely emotionally-charged issue and more oft than not invokes emotions instead of logic... on both sides. Yeah, that includes me.

Keep on keeping on, my Yankee brother.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
To anti-smokers - Your (our) argument is valid only if someone is in the near vicinity of you or doing so on your property. Everything else you say is invalid.

Smokers - Don't light up in front of other people or on someone else's property without permission.

Thats all I ask of either side.

To the person saying that people should be forced to quit smoking because it costs to much...that right there would be invading their rights beyond reasonable mercy. There is a lists of things I am sure that could "better society" in economic turns, but I fail to see how this could even be remotely at the top of your list when there are even more debatable things.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
what is this country coming to...

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

these government people are getting dumber by the second. Soon it will be illegal to breath in the wrong place in California. Just waiting for the day smokefree tries to ban it here. I'll tell em where they can stick their legislation.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Redneck

After reading the pros and cons of this thread I thank you for your points just raised...

I am a viet nam era vet who left the states because of people comments as in this thread. First a major food store would not give me back my job nor the union that was suppose to support me back me. I received two honourable discharges and a medal for valour. I have lived in GB now for 24 years and cannot believe how California has gone. Born and raised in Napa Valley.

I only hope that the Iraq and Afgan Vets receive more support than my era. Yes I went to College as I had no choice and received a job with a New York Company in San Francisco Bay Area and eventually received Napa territory as a promotion.

What is my point? The high cost of freedom that so many of my friends who lost their lives supporting and those of us who live but suffered either in a VA hospital and/or worse treated as a 3rd class American, that so many transplant Californias are dishonouring the vets that gave so much for freedom in this thread and life. I still cannot believe we have a son of a Nazi running California. But when my ideals of being an American were walked all over after discharged from the US Army after 6 years of service this country I guess nothing should surprise me now.

There is far worse things going on in the world other than Hey he smokes and he is bad. I could point out all tax payers in the US are responsible for the war on terror that did not really happened as no Weapons of Mass destructions have ever been found.

I believe that we all have the freedom to do as we like as long as that freedom does not infringe on someone elses rights. That goes for people who believe that it is their right to have as many kids as they can produce no matter how scare resources are becoming and how warm this planet is becoming. When I left the 82nd Airborne we had parade fields which are now parking lots. That is a lot of bad air being produced.... Thus the longer we live the more lies the government cannot hide but one day it won't matter as you will be branded as a terrorist if you do not agree with the powers to be....

Anyway Redneck, Thank you for your observation. My brothers are telling me to get rid of my RedCoat for a RedNeck.... I don't know..... America scares the heck out of me by the popular ideals....

I don't smoke but would risk my life for those who do freedom as long as they are not abusing others their right to breath. I do believe this can be done through current awareness. Not like I grew up with parents that smoke in my airspace growing up.

IceHappy

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Why should young defenseless children be subject to damaging cigarette smoke? I would enforce such a rule in this case as I have health problems today because of a house filled with smoke during my childhood (and wish such a law had been in effect).

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

(sigh) I am a heavy smoker. I knock down a pack and a 1/2 of Marlboro Red's a day. I am for the out-right criminalization of cigarrettes world wide. Please reasearch the chemical additives in these things and thier purpose on the public. I want to quit but am hopelessly addicted. I am dying and the tobacco industry's are a world super power and public enemy.

top topics

<< 17  18  19   >>

join