It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you really need?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
What do you really need?

I was somewhat depressed about the economy today and started thinking about what a person really needs. My answer was food, clothing, shelter and companionship.

There are tons of things that most of us take for granted that we have but don’t really need.

I have many cars but could get by with one for the emergency trip to visit relatives.

I have lots of toys… Cameras, binoculars,, electronic gadgets etc. I don’t really need any of them. I like to have some of my toys but I don’t need them.

Add to that list of toys that I have cell phones, cable tv, high speed internet access etc. I like these things but I don’t really need them.

Then, I started to look at things that I purchase on a regular basis. What do I need in terms of supplies vs what things do I use that I don’t really need. So, there are tons of things that I buy that I don’t need. Bottled water, soda, the occasional expresso, body wash new clothes, shoes etc.
I have enough things that I could go quite a while without making purchases other than food.

So my question for all you ATSers is what do you really need?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Air, water, food, warmth, sex and other forms of amusement. Same as you.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
1)Free (maintenance-free, unlimited, weather independent) energy. This will be solved soon
2)Clean water. The source does not matter if you have 1) in your possession. So it can be even sea water which you desalinate and purify.
3)A place to grow food, preferably hydroponically also using 1). As hydroponically has high yields and also low maintenance if done right.
4)Some clothes.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Food, water, a place to bathe and go to the bathroom and family.

I know first hand what you can do without. The other half was going to school which was in a nother state, we could not afford 2 houses, so we kept our house here and went there and stayed with friends, 2 months into it, they kicked us out.. yea some friends.. So we spend the next year in the mountians in a tent, she graduated with 4.0 average and got her degree, and we hung out with nature and enjoyed life.
Realy you dont need as much as you think.
Oddly i miss those times... much simpler and easier...

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by severdsoul

Sometimes it's the most basic things that can be so wonderful.

That sounds like quite an adventure.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
All I need is total and complete faith and trust in God who provides all these things, and who knows better than I, what it is that I truly need.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Food, Water, Shelter, Knowledge.

Without food, the body weakens and dies.

Without water, the body dries up and cannot transport toxins out or nutrients in.

Without shelter, we are at the mercy of the elements.

Without knowledge, it becomes near impossible to reliably locate water, food, or build shelter. We would be confined to a small local environment to which our bodies are adapted, and at the sole mercy of fate for our survival.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Lasheic

Good answer.

That's pretty much what I came up with. You don't really need all that much.

I do live in the country and we're planning a big garden this year. We just purchased 100 strawberry plants and will be enjoying the fruit around June.

Have a great life.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ReginaAdonnaAaron

I'm glad that you find such comfort in your faith.

I think that the whole purpose of free will is to make decisions in your life that are not bounded by selfishness but rather take into account others.

When you get to the pearly gates and Jesus asks you what you've done, I'll have a pretty long list and hopefully most of it would meet his expectations.

top topics

join