It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The truth about Native Americans

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
My Grandfather is Native American. So naturally I am part Native American/Chippewa. I've talked with people on the origins of my ancestors. Not to any scholars mind you, but to friends and on yahoo answers. From what I was taught in grade school I remember being told something like that Native Americans came from Asia or Mongolia or something, and came to the area currently known as North America via some "ice bridge". I remember even being in 3rd grade this didn't sit well with me. From what I remember the teacher said they were nomads who simply followed the food and it lead them here, but at any rate I took this as fact but recent research shows that there may in fact be no Asian connection to Native Americans. Which is strange to me just because there are some similar attributes that Native Americans have that Asians share (though some people who are Native American get offended when I bring that up). Does anyone understand both pros and cons of the argument and could help me to understand? Do you agree with this ice bridge that the Asians came on? I don't know much about creationism, or evolution, or origins of culture and ethnicity but from what I understand we all came out of Messopotamia. Is that wrong as well? I was shocked that for some reason people didn't find the Messopotamia theory very valid.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by NativeAmerican

I've also heard a boat theory about Native Americans coming from the West...
In contrast to the land bridge theory. I feel like the land bridge thing was disproved on the History Channel like ten years ago but I have no idea.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Some of the northern tribes did come over from the "Ice Bridge". However most Native American tribes were already here, and alot of them were from the central and southern American continent.

My heritage is Mescelaro/Apache, which roots are found in the desert southwest area of New Mexico and Arizona. Most were from central and southern Mexico.

I read somewhere, cant remember the source it was years ago, that even some of the northeastern tribes were from some of the very early Eskimo tribes that came down from the Arctic during the first ice age.

Im not a historian to any extent but its obvious that many Native American tribes were either already here, or migrated from the orient or from the north.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I have to say I have seen the History Channel stuff on the Ice Bridge and that is probably true for the innuit (spelling?) but the wide verity of races in the north and south americas does point to other people coming over by boat.

I dont think we give enough credit to the ancients for their tech.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
There is anecdotal evidence to support the Vikings, the Welsh, the Egyptians, and other African tribes being in the Americas.

I don't think it's out of the question that they could have come across the ocean.

I think it is very arrogant of Western archaology to say tha the Native Americans couldn't have resided here for tens of thousands of years, simply because they do not have a written tradition to support this.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
reply to post by NativeAmerican

I've also heard a boat theory about Native Americans coming from the West...

maybe like the Kon-Tiki? I you strap enough balsa Logs together you could probably float for decades.

I might even go on to throw out the possibility that Asia may have been populated with people from south America since before recorded history.

[edit on 26-1-2009 by drsmooth23]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

As far as I have studied, it looks like most "native american" tribes are actually descended from Israelites that Solomon sent here to mine for precious metals and other materials.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
There is anecdotal evidence to support the Vikings, the Welsh, the Egyptians, and other African tribes being in the Americas.

I don't think it's out of the question that they could have come across the ocean.

I think it is very arrogant of Western archaology to say tha the Native Americans couldn't have resided here for tens of thousands of years, simply because they do not have a written tradition to support this.

As far as I know, the running (and accepted) theory among new world archaeologists is that of multiple waves of migration, including the bering strait, down the west coast, and even along the eastern arctic from western europe.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

I decided to reply to yours although anyone is free to respond since they were all helpful responses. You mention the Native American's already being here...now I may be missing something and I'll admit I'm not that intelligent on the subject but as far as evolution wouldn't there need to be basically a general spawning pool if you will? Like I'm sure I could be wrong, but it seems unlikely that you'd basically have these people spawn in Messopotamia and then on the other side of the world in North America or around there, evolution is taking a near similar DNA match approach toward a bi-pedal species that is in fact human as well. The boat's idea is very intruiging as well. That never actually occurred to me. If this was true what do you think would most likely be the ethnicity or race that came on the boats over to North America. Also has anyone here heard the North America is Atlantis theory? My friend went into great depths trying to explain it at which point I mentioned the basic loop hole....that Atlantis was destroyed. He still seemed convinced though that North America was the alleged lost civilization. This stuff just fascinates me! Does anyone know any documentaries that might be helpful as well?

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
HAY !
I resemble that remark !....lol.
Native American, descendant of Powhatan, Nanesmond Tribe.
They call us "Jamestown Indians"....which I hate.....

Anyway, thought you might like to see this.
Let me say first, that EVERYTHING we know is somehow BS. (to a degree)

Here it goes:

The Hopi believe the Creator of Man is a woman.
The Sumerians believed the Creator of Man was a woman.

The Hopi believe the Father Creator is KA.
The Sumerians believed the Father Essence was KA.

The Hopi believe Taiowa, the Sun God, is the Creator of the Earth.
The Sumerians believe TA.EA was the Creator.

The Hopi believe two brothers had guardianship of the Earth.
The Sumerians believed two brothers had dominion over the Earth.

The Hopi believe Alo to be spiritual guides.
The Sumerians believed AL.U to be beings of Heaven.

The Hopi believe Kachinas (Kat'sinas) are the spirits of nature
and the messengers and teachers sent by the Great Spirit.
The Sumerians believed KAT.SI.NA were righteous ones sent of God.

The Hopi believe Eototo is the Father of Katsinas.
The Sumerians believed EA.TA was the Father of all beings.

The Hopi believe Chakwaina is the Chief of Warriors.
The Sumerians believed TAK.AN.U was the Heavenly Destroyer.

The Hopi believe Nan-ga-Sohu is the Chasing Star Katsina.
The Sumerians believed NIN.GIR.SU to be the Master of Starships.

The Hopi believe Akush to be the Dawn Katsina.
The Sumerians believed AK.U to be Beings of light.

The Hopi believe Danik to be Guardians in the Clouds.
The Sumerians believed DAK.AN to be Sky Warriors.

The Hopi believe Sotunangu is a Sky Katsina.
The Sumerians believed TAK.AN.IKU were Sky Warriors.

The Hopi name for the Pleaides is ChooChookam.
The Sumerians believed SHU. SHU.KHEM were the supreme Stars.

The Hopi believe Tapuat is the name of Earth.
The Sumerians believed Tiamat was the name of Earth.

The Hopi call a snake Chu'a.
The Sumerians called a snake SHU.

The Hopi word for "dead" is Mokee.
The Sumerians used KI. MAH to mean "dead."

The Hopi use Omiq to mean above, up.
The Sumerians used AM.IK to mean looking to Heaven.

The Hopi believe Tuawta is One Who Sees Magic.
The Sumerians believed TUAT.U was One from the Other World.

The Hopi believe Pahana was the Lost Brother who would
one day return to assist the Hopi and humankind.

The Sumerians would recognize PA.HA.NA
as an Ancestor from heaven who would return.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
According to modern genetics, we can all trace our mitochondrial DNA back to a group of modern homo sapiens in Africa.

No modern homo sapiens evolved separately in the americas. There are no apes in the americas and the environment was not conducive to walking upright.

There is archaeological evidence that puts humans in the americas 50 thousand years ago.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by NativeAmerican

I decided to reply to yours although anyone is free to respond since they were all helpful responses. You mention the Native American's already being here...now I may be missing something and I'll admit I'm not that intelligent on the subject but as far as evolution wouldn't there need to be basically a general spawning pool if you will?

Here is my take on the "one source causes all" theory.

How can there be such a diverse culture on this planet if everyone stems from just one location?

DNA traits dont evolve from moving from one location on the planet to another, they adapt. I suspect that those who did migrate from one land mass to another, mixed and mingled with natives of that new land.

Again Im no historian or anthropologist but it seems to make more sense to me that the single source theory would be difficult to explain why there are so many diverse cultures on one planet, and those diverse cultures all belong to a race called human.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns

Originally posted by NativeAmerican

I decided to reply to yours although anyone is free to respond since they were all helpful responses. You mention the Native American's already being here...now I may be missing something and I'll admit I'm not that intelligent on the subject but as far as evolution wouldn't there need to be basically a general spawning pool if you will?

Here is my take on the "one source causes all" theory.

How can there be such a diverse culture on this planet if everyone stems from just one location?

DNA traits dont evolve from moving from one location on the planet to another, they adapt. I suspect that those who did migrate from one land mass to another, mixed and mingled with natives of that new land.

Again Im no historian or anthropologist but it seems to make more sense to me that the single source theory would be difficult to explain why there are so many diverse cultures on one planet, and those diverse cultures all belong to a race called human.

Cheers!!!!

There is no evidence in the americas for the evolution of hominids. Period.

There were no apes for humans to evolve from in the americas. In fact, there are two distinctly different types of early primates that evolved in the americas and in africa. Platyrrhines (s. american primates) and catarrhines (african primates). The african primates eventually stood upright and grew bigger because of the savannah environment. The s. american primates did not.

to add: you're right that the human race has variad cultures; however, modern genetics has effectively proven that we are not so diverse on the genetic level. Just trace the mitochondrial DNA. There are numerous studies on this.

[edit on 1/26/2009 by yadda333]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I was taught there are 4 main groups, and I don't know the names of each. So will just give examples:

Caucasions (whites)

Blacks (african, australian or lower south american aboriginals, etc) found mostly in the southern hemisphere

Mediteranean (spanish, Italian, Israelis, Greek, egyptian, indian, south american natives) scattered around the equator of different continents

And native american indians, eskimoes, orientals. Each side of the northern pacific.

Sorry it's presented poorly. You can see the similarities in some physical features. It isn't an attempt at being insulting, as I'm a white Brit and know I'm similar to a german or norweigan, etc.

If you look at the globe, and put aside the mixed races that have now merged, and explorers that obviously settled much later, you can practically imagine moving the land masses together and seeing a pattern of how they may have once been. Possibly DNA was already there before the continental drift.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
You are getting closer to the truth my friend.Native Americans and Asians all originated from the Great Grandson of Noah,Shem,aka Thor.I would give out some websites to back this up,but i dont know the rules about that,and i dont want this truth to be ignored by the mods.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by violet

If you look at the globe, and put aside the mixed races that have now merged, and explorers that obviously settled much later, you can practically imagine moving the land masses together and seeing a pattern of how they may have once been. Possibly DNA was already there before the continental drift.

I assume you're talking about Pangaea, which existed 250 million years ago. Taking into account that it broke apart in three major phases (the last of which would've been 40 million years) spanning some two hundred million years, humans didn't emerge until many millions of years after. So the idea that human DNA existed before continental drift is an impossibility.

[edit on 1/27/2009 by yadda333]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by yadda333
There is archaeological evidence that puts humans in the americas 50 thousand years ago.

Given the similar beliefs of the Hopi and the Sumerians, maybe they were put here around then?

[edit on 27/1/09 by NuclearPaul]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I will certainly agree that the peopling of the new world is one of those great unanswered (or not fully answered anyway) questions in archaeology.

As far as people being put in the new world.......that's an entirely different debate!

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Don't let the scientist fool your or try to make your mind for you. The simple fact that your asking questions lets you know that your on the right track. The problem with western science is that there are to many unknown variables out there that they don't want to acknowledge or strait up ignore.

Now hmm...if you look at old pictures of native americans, they look like the Inuits, just with a darker skin complexion (this is before any European blood was introduced into there lines), which makes sense they are exposed to a warmer climate and more sunlight. That's as far as my answer will take you thou, sorry chief..i gotta do some research on this, its interesting.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
===deleted double post====

[edit on 27-1-2009 by cenpuppie]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join