It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald's posts sizzling 80% profit rise in 2008

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Look at McDonald's profits for previous years.
They have been higher.
80% isn't all that much I would think.
And while McDonald's Corporation might be doing well.
Not all individual owner operators are doing so well.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   
McDonalds is so disgusting.
They know what they are doing though.
For example that fountain drink full of ice with the very large straw, takes what like a couple sips and its gone?
They also want you to use a credit card because they did a study and found out that people who use cards will purchase a lot more.

Oh and I work in the food industry and am still employed.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaNutter

Damn man, why so judgemental? Why can't you calm down and let people do what they want? lol

You act like these busy people have magical access to their kitchen from anywhere in the world.

The busy people could be those on a lunch break and mcdonalds is the closest place to eat. Or busy as in "I'm not bothered to go o that big expensive restaurant, I'm not bothered go all away home to cook a meal, when I can eat right now here in mcdonalds, because I'm hungry right now! and it tastes gooood"

These very same people probably usually eat a healthy diet, buy good foods, cook their own food etc. Mcdonalds just happens to be right next to them when they ar very hungry, they feel like it so they get it.

So what?

Just don't eat there too often and you should be totally fine.

Also a lot of peope go to mcdonalds because it's the closest most "casual" place to eat when your hanging out with friends. Most of the other places close to mcdonalds are romantic looking restaurants or very expensive restaurants. Where would you go? To the casual place or to the awkard feeling place?

[edit on 27-1-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
McDonalds is not cheap, ok it might be in America but in the UK it's pretty expensive. I spend £25 ($40?) a week on food for myself to eat healthy, that is nothing; it costs £5+ to have a McDonalds meal that fills you up for about an hour? Anyone who uses time as an excuse for going to a fast food store is lying to themselves; it takes what 5 minutes to make a nice healthy sandwich? It takes 15 minutes to cook some salmon with salad or 20 minutes for a Chili Con Carnie, when it’s cooked you can put some in a tub and freeze it and microwave it when you need to eat again. How long does it take to go to McDonalds and wait in a queue for some utterly rubbish food, even their salad's are loaded with salt you are talking 15-30 minutes? To whoever mentioned pasty's, being Cornish myself I love pasties but they are loaded with fat so I wouldn't recommend eating them regularly.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by estar
McDonalds is not cheap, ok it might be in America but in the UK it's pretty expensive. I spend £25 ($40?) a week on food for myself to eat healthy, that is nothing; it costs £5+ to have a McDonalds meal that fills you up for about an hour? Anyone who uses time as an excuse for going to a fast food store is lying to themselves; it takes what 5 minutes to make a nice healthy sandwich? It takes 15 minutes to cook some salmon with salad or 20 minutes for a Chili Con Carnie, when it’s cooked you can put some in a tub and freeze it and microwave it when you need to eat again. How long does it take to go to McDonalds and wait in a queue for some utterly rubbish food, even their salad's are loaded with salt you are talking 15-30 minutes? To whoever mentioned pasty's, being Cornish myself I love pasties but they are loaded with fat so I wouldn't recommend eating them regularly.

Yes sure is expensive, I personally feel a Subway sandwich fills me up better.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

I prefer Subway a lot more as well if I’m eating fast food it would usually be at Subway, but what happened with using the good old lunchbox if you’re at work?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I am guilty too

That McBacon is just too good

They had a 5 percent price climb since Januari here.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I feel sick any time i eat McDonalds, I personally think the stuff is disgusting, I used to eat it all the time, but one day i stoped for about 3 months had a burger and nearly threw up, my body's way of saying no thank you i guess.
And Mcdonalds is expensive in my country (apart form the eurosaver) its a lot cheaper to cook stuff!

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by estar

I prefer Subway a lot more as well if I’m eating fast food it would usually be at Subway, but what happened with using the good old lunchbox if you’re at work?

Yeah lunchbox works, but I guess it might be a social thing? If more people took lunch boxes to work, more people would follow the crowd. Silly really.

But lunchboxes don't really work so well if for example your hanging out with friends going bowling or something, then they go mcdonalds and you take out your lunch box, lol.

Social things can be a pain.

Personally I can't even remember the last time I went mcdonalds, might be over 6 months ago now haha. I never was a regular.

I'm guilty for LOVING pizza thou...

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
i would rather make a home made cottage pie for $10 to feed a family than go near mcd`s

sure i take my kids once a month - but homecooked food is far better and usually cheaper than eating out , even at fast food places.

want something a bit more substantial? lancashire hot pot - costs $30 to make , but the kids come running back for more.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I can say one thing, I've never actually gone out from my house and travelled just to go eat at mcdonalds. I would rather sit at home and eat than eat in a crowded place like that.

In London you litrelly have mcdonalds/burger king, kfc and halal chicken places on every corner! So the only time I go mcdonalds is if I go shopping or traveling and I happen to be standing next to one and I'm hungry.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I guess Mcdonalds are global, we have them in east Europe as well.
I like to go once a week and have a nice double hamburger
I use to go almost every single day, I noticed I was putting on fat very fast.
Tastes good
very bad for the health
I find Mcdonalds great, that is once in a while.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by pepsi78]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I like a good burger but here at least in the UK I can't say mcdonalds is good value for money the meals are so small they only serve to actually make me hungrier and I'm a lean guy. I could never settle for a mcdonalds as a meal it's more a quick snack than anything else.

I'd pick burgerking over them everytime although they aren't much better and my fast food of choice is a good chinese.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by pepsi78
I guess Mcdonalds are global, we have them in east Europe as well.
I like to go once a week and have a nice double hamburger
I use to go almost every single day, I noticed I was putting on fat very fast.
Tastes good
very bad for the health
I find Mcdonalds great, that is once in a while.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by pepsi78]

Yep even in Morocco too and other arab countries, and also in Japan etc they are everywhere! Cocacola is everywhere too. I like coke thou

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I hav'nt eaten any fast food for about two and a half years. I feel so different, I would NEVER eat at a Maccas again.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Regardless of your view of McDonalds (and mine has changed over the years) it's still a great product for the price. Yes, there is better comparable products and yes of course it doesn't compare to price and quality of what you can make in your own kitchen, but hey it's convenient and it satisfies many our senses and taste buds good enough that we still eat there occasionally after being indoctrinated as kids.

McDonalds has been consistent through the years - not the best or the cheapest, but you know what to expect and often it's enough. Though If I eat there I'm pretty finicky and I always exchange my fries if they are not fresh hot & crispy.

Cheap? Yes, McDonalds can be cheap - at least in the U.S. Up until a month ago we could buy a double cheese burger for 1 dollar as well as several other menu items, so yes if you don't buy the expensive soft drink and just order dollar items you can get full for 3 dollars, but I usually don't eat at McDonalds for a meal anymore I stop for a snack or something to get me by till I get home - so I spend a buck to get something fresher and tastier and certainly less expensive than most convenience stores.

Has anyone else noticed that besides the best fries - that McDonald's serves the best COCA COLA - most of the time?

The Coke at McDonald's has a much stronger bite (fizz) than most other businesses that have soda fountains and it doesn't compare with bottled products. I think they have special mix settings for McDonalds - though I can't confirm this by anything but personal experience. I challenge any coke drinkers - go get a Mcdonalds coke and then compare it with others.

Anyway, I'm surprised that McDonalds raised it's dollar menu prices if they are doing so good - after all half the people that the dollar menu brings in probably end up spending more on higher revenue items or if nothing else stop more often.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I perfectly understand these people. This is a direct result of the financial crisis.

Anyhow, I don't know whether this has been posted already, but just judge yourself whether you want to eat this:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Heaven forbid they pack a lunch.

And everything else you are describing is a result of the society we live in. We grow up eating fast food, we think it's convenient and the only option, so we are programmed through life to take the easy way out and drop money on fast food.

America = Fattest country in the world, fact
Obesity kills about 6000 Americans every WEEK, fact.

"I'm not bothered to go o that big expensive restaurant, I'm not bothered go all away home to cook a meal, when I can eat right now here in mcdonalds, because I'm hungry right now! and it tastes gooood"

That is not busy, that is lazy. "I can't be bothered." There is not one ounce of reasoning behind the statement "I can't be bothered." That means "I am to lazy to..." How about "I can't be bothered to pack a healthy lunch in the morning." And you save money and you don't eat Mexican cancer meat. Wow, talk about tough.

"Also a lot of peope go to mcdonalds because it's the closest most "casual" place to eat when your hanging out with friends. Most of the other places close to mcdonalds are romantic looking restaurants or very expensive restaurants. Where would you go? To the casual place or to the awkard feeling place?"

When I go out to eat, it is at a nice restaurant with nice cuisine with like minded company. I don't do it often and when I do, I don't waste it on McDonalds. Besides, have you ever tried cooking for a lady? Learn to cook, try it, then thank me later. I grew out of going to McDs in about 11th grade and I found life is actually easier if you don't go there. More energy from a good meal, longer life from a healthy lifestyle.

People are free to do what they want, but if they are lazy, ignorant, and unhealthy I will tell them they are lazy, ignorant, and unhealthy. Fortunately the only place I encounter these people are on ATS. Real life is good.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by ImaNutter]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaNutter

I trying to show another side to the argument, people can do whatever they want, if they go to mcdonalds it might not be because they are lazy, it's just simply more convienient at that time, what is wrong with that? and also they might actually ENJOY going there once a month. Nothing lazy or wrong about that. I'm just trying to remind people to stop judging people as if they know best.

It makes them sound very arrogant, especially if they say offensive remarks just because some people like going to mcdonalds.

So many judgmental people around...is that part of society now too? because I see it a LOT, especially on ats.

Anyway I haven't been mcdonalds for a very long time, I enjoy pizzas and chinese food more anyway.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Frankly, what I find most interesting about this thread is the interest and debate. People here seem to care alot about McDonald's.

Remember McDonalds has one of the best brainwashing...oops...I mean advertising on this planet.

One thing to keep in mind is that Walmart and McDonalds have a lot in common besides sharing floorspace and the same guys doing thier ads.

To list a few....cheap, parttime labour, fast and friendly, seek out different retail/food revenue pathways in each socia-economic enviroment, some of the same people on the boards...etc etc etc

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join