It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald's posts sizzling 80% profit rise in 2008

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Even canned food is generally cheaper than McDonald's. I can get a single-serving can of Bush's Baked Beans for 88 cents. And that's the name brand, good stuff.

Most single-serve cans of vegetables are around the same price. Bigger cans for preparing whole meals for the family will get you an even better deal.

If you "don't have time" to cook food out of a can, then you're just a lazy fart. Plain and simple. It's already cooked, it just needs heated. So we're talking 1 minute at the microwave vs. 10 minutes in line at McDonald's.

Again, I'm not knocking people who eat there. People can eat whatever they want. I'm responding to the folks saying "It's cheap!" or "It's convenient!" Because in reality, it's neither. I'm just trying to point that out to folks so they can make more informed decisions for themselves.

Heck, for the 6 bucks you'd spend on a double quarter pounder meal, you could buy a loaf of bread, An 8-pack of American cheese, and an 8-pack of sliced ham. You can't tell me nobody has time to slap a sandwich together.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by whiteravenTo list a few....cheap, parttime labour, fast and friendly, seek out different retail/food revenue pathways in each socia-economic enviroment, some of the same people on the boards...etc etc etc

Yes but many many McDonald's are privately owned franchises. It is not all going into deep corporate pockets, it is also one of the best businesses that can be opened and passed on to your children.

People keep complaing about how FATTENING the food is. Well guess what, when times are tough actual calories are a good thing for some folks! I know for many poor = obese. I also know when I went through a rough time and had a very limited grocery budget I dropped weight fast.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Habitual behavior and addictions are tough to break. Once you make the choice to eat "real food" you will find that driving by a fast food restaurant will make you shake your head in disgust and disbelief remembering how at one time in your life used to eat at a McDeath/etc.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Styki

Anyone who works at McDonald's and DOESN'T see the opportunity to climb way up the corporate ladder is missing out. This book says it all: mcdonaldsbook.mhprofessional.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I can totally understand this..think about it..I have a family of four. me (29) my husband (32) our 8 year old, and our 17mth old. to feed us a good nutritional meal, I would make..lets say chicken breast, with cauliflower and broccli, and a grain, like rice, or mashed potatos, or maybe pasta, etc

the package of chicken cost me 13 dollars, can you imagine? 13 dollars for chicken? I have the receipt to prove it. Now sure, I could get legs, or thighs, etc..but we're talking nutrition, low fat. Chicken breast..13 dollars.

cauliflower and broccli...fresh...5 dollars total

Grain..about 2-3 dollars

total for dinner for that night? 21 dollars. plus time to cook it, and the gas it cost me to heat up my oven and cook it. not to mention the seasonings to buy if I'm out.

so then we go to mcdonalds....2.99 for a double cheeseburger meal thats with a drink....12 dollars, almost half the cost, when it comes to my electric bill to pay in the winter and a 21 dollar meal versus a 12 dollar meal..what are people going to choose? now sure..we can get a box of mac and cheese for 1 dollar, milk and butter to mix it with at 4 dollars, and the butter at 3..and you have an 8 dollar meal..but you can only eat mac and cheese for so long, and then there is pasta 2 dollars a box and 3 dollars for a jar of sauce, at 5 dollars a meal, its a bargain, and tomato sauce is very good for you, but again..pasta can only be eaten for so long. now thats just a scenario, we are not one of those families, my family hits a restaurant..any restaurant, even fast food only about once every other month, mostly we eat at home, and find ways to save money, but right now we are better off than many people. I'm not sure what we would do when it comes to food should be we lose our money making tomorrow. All I'm saying is I can totally see how the scenario fits for Mcdonalds profits to be on the increase in today's economy.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
O, we all know that fast food is bad for you. Why? Because most of it is fied. Frying food,while tasty, is th worst way to coo in terms of health.

That being said, everyone talking about how we should all watch Super Size Me, sould realise that no one has ever, to my knowledge, stated that eating mcdonalds three meals a day is good for you. Ever. Spurlock was a moron for thinking that he was telling us something we didn't know.

For the people that didn't know that it was bad for you, Thanks Spurlock, you just ruined natural selection.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnAbsoluteCreation

McDonald's posts sizzling 80% profit rise in 2008

news.yahoo.com

NEW YORK (AFP) – US fast-food giant McDonald's said Monday its 2008 net profit soared 80 percent from a year, lifted by growing demand from consumers seeking low-cost meals in a deepening global recession.
Net profit for the full year totaled 4.3 billion dollars, compared with 2.3 billion in 2007, the Oak Brook, Illinois-based company said in a statement.
(visit the link for the full news article)

are they militant outreaches

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
this is insane

your worried that McDonalds food is unhealthy???

Fine, go eat Bark, Insects, and Rotton Carrion like the cavemen

no, go help yourself

as for me? ill eat the fake chicken , thanks

we all die one day, why not enjoy life while your here?

anyways, McD's is gross, BK is way better

i dont know of anyone who ate that food and died from it tho, maybe your overreacting a bit?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Finn1916
O, we all know that fast food is bad for you. Why? Because most of it is fied. Frying food,while tasty, is th worst way to coo in terms of health.

how can it possibly be worse than eating rotton carrion like our ancestors did regularly?

im sorry, fast food is NOT unhealthy

it has kept me alive for years, and im 100% healthy and fine

no disease, no problems of any significance

i will prolly live to be 100years old

and you guys think Fast Food is gonna Kill me , ahahahha

look i know its not as healthy as food that costs 20x more, but you gotta realize, its not exactly poison either

the quality of our fast food is 10x that of the quality of Good Food in the Third World

just think about it

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Yes, it's not the worst thing in the world for you. If I have to eat fast food, which with my wrk schedule happens sometimes or I don't eat all day, I usually try the rilled stuff they serve. Its better for you, and tastes better. I do agree that BK is miles and miles above, and am glad that there is a BK near my job. Sometimes I on't feel like cooking when I get home. After a twelve to fifteen hour shift sometimes of cooking for everyone that comes into the place I work at, firing up the stove when I get home is the last thing on my mind.

Goodl ol BurgerKing, your burges taste way better than those crappy thin patties at McDonalds.

Edit to add: I would still choose McDonalds over gas station food, which i have had the misfortune of eating during my wild partying days when i didn't want a dui for driving to denny's at three in the morning.

[edit on 1/27/2009 by Finn1916]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I haven't eaten Mc Donalds in about 10 years.
As a touring musician I find it difficult to avoid
places like this, but I manage to. Grocery shopping
and making your own food seems to be the most
cost effective and your choices are healthier.

I do order take out from local restaurants, but I gave
up fast food years back. Since then, I do actually
feel better and energetic.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Big Macs - 2 for $3.50. not a bad deal if you don't like rainforests. Sure are tasty though.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I guess I can see how McDonald's is doing so well during bad economic times in that people are trying to cut down on the amount they spend on eating out. They don't have to tip a server and probably the meal is cheaper.

Still, it's so much cheaper to eat at home or pack a lunch instead of eating out, and I'm always surprised to see my co-workers running across the road to McDonald's for lunch when they're constantly complaining about the economy and that they're broke.

I guess they still haven't figured out that packing your lunch is a lot cheaper and probably way more nutritious than eating at McDonald's.

If you look at what it would cost to buy a can of peanut butter, some jam/honey, and a loaf of whole grain bread at the grocery, well, it's pretty cheap and fairly nutritious. That food might cost around $5.00 or so, but look at how many meals it would make. Economically speaking, $5.00 will go a lot further at the grocery store than at McDonald's.

If you want meat for lunch, a can of tuna or sardines with bread/crackers, a few carrot sticks, and a piece of fresh fruit or raisins will give great energy without giving you that tired feeling after eating. And it would still be cheaper than eating at McDonald's.

I haven't eaten at McDonald's in about 20 years. I did eat there once a few years ago. I got a kid's Happy Meal with a hamburger. After I ate it, I was so hungry. It felt like I didn't eat anything. Funny, I always get full when I eat a hamburger at home.

So while McDonald's is seeing such huge profits, they're not getting my money. I hope more people will realize it's so much cheaper and more nutritious to eat at home and take a sack lunch to work.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by BugByte

I don't think McDonald's can get away with paying minimum wage anymore. Around here they START at $9.50 to $10.00/hr. That is starting wages for taking orders etc. And late shifts and closers make more, to start. I know 10/hr isn't the quickest path to easy street, but better than minimum. As for nutrittional values, probably not the best choice if someone plans to eat every meal there, but a quick bite now and again isn't going to hurt you unless you are a sedentary couch lout.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

The problem with your thought is this.
Yes lazy does play a part
But the cost of going to the local market to buy goods have jumped so much in the last 10 years the pay scale hasn't caught up.
So you can take $20.00 a week at McDonalds and live...Not that I would I don't really like that crap. But it cost less for some to eat there than at home...In some cases you need to go to Costco or a warehouse to save money over a month period.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsloan
So you can take $20.00 a week at McDonalds and live...Not that I would I don't really like that crap. But it cost less for some to eat there than at home...In some cases you need to go to Costco or a warehouse to save money over a month period.

No, uhh, sorry, that's just wrong. The reasons have already been said over and over again in this thread...raw-ish food from a grocery store will invariably be cheaper than fast food.

That is, unless you buy expensive unnecessary food items from the store.

I think people need to remember the Great Depression. My grandparents (and probably for some of you your parents) learned how to survive in that time by learning the now lost art of cooking and preserving...more on that in a moment. Now, most of you wouldn't go to the point of self-sufficiency they did, but even the pre-cooked and pre-stored foods at the grocery are cheaper and more nutritious than anything from McDonald's.

People complain about the high cost of food today. It definitely is more expensive than in the past several years. But----

STOP being selfish and ARROGANT!

Is it really THAT hard to adapt to new circumstances? Has it come to the point where we rely on corporations to adapt for us?

I hope not.

People need to remember that we are human beings.....animals. Nature has given us the tools for self-sufficiency!

[edit on 1/27/2009 by iceofspades]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by iceofspadesPeople need to remember that we are human beings.....animals. Nature has given us the tools for self-sufficiency!

... McDonalds?

That video with the decay was rather creepy. HOWEVER I dont plan on keeping a hamburger in my stomach for 10 weeks. In fact, they often leave it faster than the average meal.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Why?!

I assume Americans have at least some of the intelligence the rest of the world has, and realizes that when you're strapped for cash, you simply DON'T EAT OUT.

There are grocery stores for a reason.

Use them!

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
and ... 1,000 new locations opening.
I wonder if they will be the food of choice at the Fema camps.
Looks like a no-bid to me.

blogs.moneycentral.msn.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Right... we should all just be given a raw potato every day. And one of those luxurious cans of beans once a week. And all the flowers in the garden are free.

I think I'll keep eating my lazy slob burgers, thanks. Chunks of dead cow, strips of fried dead pig, smothered in congealed oil based sauces and flavorings, topped up with pickles and a token amount of limp lettuce, wrapped up in a nutritionally vacuous bun to be served with a large box of thin strips of deep fried lard sticks thickly covered in artery clogging salt.

Eyeballs, lungs, teeth and all.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join