It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama Under Fire for Not Wearing Black Designers

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by sos37
What else are we going to hear? Are special interest groups going to become so bold as to make statements like these?

Who cares if they do? They have every right to make these statements.

Do they? Even at taxpayers' expense, and when one racial group clearly has an advantage over another? What happens when Latinos start to complain? And then Asians? And then Whites?

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cio88
Im not a fan of the Obama's, as much as I would like to see them being criticized, Why is this even news.

Why even post in here if you don't think this is news-worthy??? Why are you even bothering to say that you're bothered?

I guess you don't remember Jackie Kennedy and all the brouhaha over her wardrobe?

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I am not the world's greatest Obama fan either, but I must agree with these people, I don't think there is any need for Michelle to play the little "white woman" because she is the first lady. I think her mixing it up a bit and going for some stylish ethnic touches would be kind of refreshing and at the same time show how she is different and brings a new "flavor" to the salad bowl which is America. I am not suggesting mudcloth or kente cloth, but even those would be pretty darn cool.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Actually, sack-cloth on Michelle would suit me fine. I wouldn't complain...not at all.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   

I think her mixing it up a bit and going for some stylish ethnic touches would be kind of refreshing and at the same time show how she is different and brings a new "flavor" to the salad bowl which is America.

Her mixing it up is a great idea, but I don't think she should be criticized for not buying or wearing dresses from a particular race. This is America and she is free to get her her dresses from whomever she desires. I am sure that if these black designers have dresses to her liking, she would no doubt be willing to wear them without being told to do so.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

So basically the vocal black advancement groups are saying that Michelle isn't black enough? I'm sure that's not going over too well with her - considering what she said in her college thesis and all.

IMHO - she's definately 'black enough'.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
she would no doubt be willing to wear them without being told to do so.

I have a feeling that NO ONE tells her what to do.
At least - the only do so once - and then they are pushed out the door.
I'm sure she's got a strong personality.
(and that's not a bad thing for a woman to have )

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Do they? Even at taxpayers' expense,

Excuse me? What are you talking about? It doesn't cost the taxpayers anything for people to complain about what Michelle is or isn't wearing.

and when one racial group clearly has an advantage over another?

What makes you think one racial group has an advantage over another? You're losing me. Sorry.

What happens when Latinos start to complain? And then Asians? And then Whites?

What happens? What do you mean? Nothing "happens".

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

As I said in my previous post, and I think is probably trying to be said in this case, is that this fashion designer IS showing a sense of false entitlement.
This is the issue.
Let's hope it doesn't continue. Or get worse.
I understand the concern perfectly well. I don't agree with it, obviously, but I understand the issue.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-in-AR
As I said in my previous post, and I think is probably trying to be said in this case, is that this fashion designer IS showing a sense of false entitlement.

I do understand that.
What I don't understand is the concern over it. As long as the Obamas don't DEMONSTRATE that entitlement, then the interest group (whatever it is) can whine all they want, right? I mean, it could be PETA, the ACLU, the Christian Coalition, or black designers... As long as the Obama's don't cave to their whining and demands, we're cool.

What I don't understand is the assumption that the Obamas might be tempted to give in to a "special interest group" because of their skin color.

Why does THIS "special interest group" (black designers) concern people any more than Planned Parenthood, NOW or the Sierra Club?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
From what I've seen around the "hood" I gather wearing "black" clothing means it must have been marketed by an old white man. Namely Mr. Hilfiger.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-in-AR

What I don't understand is the assumption that the Obamas might be tempted to give in to a "special interest group" because of their skin color.

Why do you say that - because the the Obamas every actions are under intense scrutiny by everyone or because you believe that your president and first lady just cannot do any wrong, that they will always take the moral high ground?

And before you go with the moral high round answer, need I remind you that this same moral high ground includes appointing a man who clearly tried to cheat on his taxes in the past, to head the IRS for our country.

Regardless of what you think, Michelle Obama has been rumored to be racist against whites in the past, making derogatory statements. It's not unthinkable that a black special interest group who seeks to advance their agenda, especially over whites, would appeal to at least her if those rumors are in any way true. And whatever appeals to her, she will appeal to her husband.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by sos37]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Why do you say that - because the the Obamas every actions are under intense scrutiny by everyone or because you believe that your president and first lady just cannot do any wrong, that they will always take the moral high ground?

Well, neither. I said that because I didn't understand your assumption that the Obamas might be tempted to give in to a "special interest group" because of their skin color. I see from your answer that the assumption comes from your opinion that they actually might, because Michelle is "rumored" to be racist.

Regardless of what you think, Michelle Obama has been rumored to be racist against whites in the past, making derogatory statements.

I don't believe rumors. If you buy this rumor, I now understand your position. Thank you.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Well, neither. I said that because I didn't understand your assumption that the Obamas might be tempted to give in to a "special interest group" because of their skin color. I see from your answer that the assumption comes from your opinion that they actually might, because Michelle is "rumored" to be racist.

Regardless of what you think, Michelle Obama has been rumored to be racist against whites in the past, making derogatory statements.

I don't believe rumors. If you buy this rumor, I now understand your position. Thank you.

Well, there's nothing confirming the rumor so I don't totally buy it, per se. But there's been no rebuttal by Michelle O. either, so I cannot say that the rumor is busted either. Personally I find it plausible given some of the video I've seen of her talking and some of the statements that she's made, one in particular where she was asked during the campaign about Obama lagging behind Hilary Clinton in the polls and she replied that she wasn't worried about it because "she believed black America would wake up".

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
reply to post by Gregarious

he is rather popular all over the planet, and will be until, and hopefully not, things get nasty, and things come out.

you got my interest. What things coming out are you referring to?

I'm referring to his terrorist and gang affiliations. I'm referring to the foreign donors that so abundantly provided for his war chest. I'm referring to his recalcitrance in providing documentation of his US citizenship. I'm referring to his 'better half' having a very clear racism. I am sure there isd a whole lot more, but it has not come out yet. It will.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
She looked good and she can wear whatever clothing she darn well wants to wear. I'm sure she wore the best clothes for the occasion. Those designers who are crying should put out a better product. Perhaps then Michelle Obama might be interested.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

But there's been no rebuttal by Michelle O. either, so I cannot say that the rumor is busted either.

So, if she came out and said something like, "I've been hearing people say I'm racist and I just wanted to let you know that it's not true. I'm not racist." Then the rumor would be busted? I don't think so. The rumor lives in the minds of people who wish to see her that way.

Personally I find it plausible given some of the video I've seen of her talking and some of the statements that she's made, one in particular where she was asked during the campaign about Obama lagging behind Hilary Clinton in the polls and she replied that she wasn't worried about it because "she believed black America would wake up".

So, do you think that making that statement means she's racist?

And secondly, have you read the transcript of that "sound bite"? In fact, it was about the low number of African American voters being willing to vote for Obama because they didn't think he could win. Read the whole exchange from November 12, 2007 and see if you can get a glimpse of what she's saying.

It's a perfect example of people taking part of a sentence and repeating it over and over and giving it a life of its own.

MIKA BRZEZINSKI: The polls are showing your husband is trailing Hillary by 46% to 37% in the African-American community. What's going on here?

MICHELLE OBAMA: First of all, I think that that's not going to hold. I'm completely confident: black America will wake up, and get [it]. But what we're dealing with in the black community is just the natural fear of possibility. You know, when I look at my life, the stuff that we're seeing in these polls has played out my whole life. You know, always been told by somebody that I'm not ready, that I can't do something, my scores weren't high enough. You know, there's always that doubt in the back of the minds of people of color. People who've been oppressed and haven't been given real opportunities. That you never really believe. That you believe that somehow, someone is better than you. You know, deep down inside, you doubt whether you can do it, because that's all you've been told, is "no, wait." That's all you hear, and you hear it from people who love you. Not because they don't care about you, but because they're afraid. They're afraid that something might happen.

BRZEZINSKI: It's interesting that you say that, excuse me. Because a stewardess yesterday, a 52-year old African-American, and I asked her if she was interested in Barack Obama, if she would vote for him. And she said, like this, she said: "I don't think so, because he probably can't win, because he's black."

OBAMA: That's right. That's the psychology that's going on in our heads, in our souls, and I understand it. I know where it comes from, and I think that it's one of the horrible legacies of racism and discrimination and oppression.

Source

[edit on 27-1-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Source

For future reference - that's a BLOG. You know .. a BLOG .. those things that you continually complain about when other people use.

As far as I'm concerned blogs that contain information such as this are fine.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cio88
Im not a fan of the Obama's, as much as I would like to see them being criticized, Why is this even news.

This is news because our shallow society has made the Obama's celebrities.
They're right up there with Brad and Angelina.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
As far as I'm concerned blogs that contain information such as this are fine.

I agree. I have never complained about blogs being used in this way. That information can be substantiated by many sources.

MSNBC

[edit on 27-1-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join