It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama Under Fire for Not Wearing Black Designers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Michelle Obama Under Fire for Not Wearing Black Designers

nymag.com

The Black Artists Association is upset with our new First Lady for not wearing clothes by African-American designers. BAA Cofounder Amnau Eele, who was a runway model for Yves Saint Laurent, Giorgio Armani, and Bill Blass, told WWD, “It’s fine and good if you want to be all ‘Kumbaya’ and ‘We Are the World’ by representing all different countries. But if you are going to have Isabel Toledo do the inauguration dress, and Jason Wu do the evening gown, why not have Kevan Hall, B Michael, Stephen Burrows or any of the other black designers do something too?” Eele plans to make a formal appeal to Michelle's office.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
So now the personal lobbying by special interest groups has started, really early too I might add. This is exactly the kind of thing I think the Obamas are going to have a hard time dealing with - the expectation that now that he's president and she is first lady, that the Obamas OWE the black community something in return.

It will be interesting to see who pipes up next.

nymag.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

wow, who CARES
isnt there more important things going on then where they buy their clothes from?

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I so hope their "own" pummel this couple of 'Change, Hope and Inclusivity'.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I'm sure there will be plenty of time for Michelle to wear a dress designed by a black person. And I'm fairly certain the whole idea is to wear a dress based on what she likes, not based on the color of the designer's skin.

This is a mindset that has to go. And I commend the Obamas for not caving under pressure.

I heard DL Hugely ask a black woman what she remembered the most about the inauguration and she said, "The fact we have no more excuses as a people... We need to do what we need to do. The door is open, the sky is the limit."

They don't need the coattails of anyone and they don't need to be "pulled up" by anyone. I thought it was pretty cool. The people who are expecting special treatment because of the color of their skin need to come into the present.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

A good retort by Michelle (hardly a 'black' name)
would be to say to the naggers...I wear black ensambles where it counts...
(at those non public times when i'm with my husband...)

i wear the pop-culture fashion names, for public consumption only...

[ hey Mrs first Lady, you need another consultant, advisor ?
contact StUdio @ ATS]

[edit on 26-1-2009 by St Udio]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

The people who are expecting special treatment because of the color of their skin need to come into the present.

I agree 100%. Unfortunately there are many just like the designer. I recall during the election some black medias were angry because Obama wasn't buying advertisement from them. What they failed to realize is that Obama already had their vote, so why waste money. It won't be long before some blacks start to call him an Uncle Tom and I hope neither Mr/Mrs. Obama fall for that trap.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I think that she needs a new gown made by the person who designed Aretha's hat.

Just in case you missed it here's a pic.

Aretha's Hat

Maybe there's a reason that she chose the designers that she did.

'
'

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

This is a mindset that has to go. And I commend the Obamas for not caving under pressure.

I totally agree, the mindset NEEDS to go, but realistically - will it? From what I heard on Mark Davis this morning (AM talk show) Michelle Obama had several dresses laid out on a bed and just picked one at random. Also, Jason Wu supposedly didn't even know she had on one of his designs until he saw her on the TV wearing it.

But if you're fretting over the dress and the response by the Black Artists Association, you're missing the big picture. This is just the beginning. What else are we going to hear? Are special interest groups going to become so bold as to make statements like these?

"Obama needs to make more college money available for blacks."
"Obama needs to make more scholarships available for blacks."
"Obama needs to soften criminal laws on blacks."
"Obama needs to make houses more affordable for blacks."
"Obama needs to make child care more affordable for blacks."

Etc. Etc.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Oh, I doubt they will.
Look at how they played the race issue in the campaign. It was virtually non-existant from their side. That isn't going to change. They must realize that if they were to give into any of those sorts of complaints, they will just polarize the population immediately. Then it WILL become an issue of false entitlement (something I saw on another thread that was a completely bogus charge).

I just wonder if there will be backlash?

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

This IS something that I am starting to worry about also.
I mean, I'm not generalizing anyone when I say this, but it could get a little out of hand. I am not blind enough to miss that possibility. Racism DOES work both ways and I'm afraid that some people may vocalise that because of the circumstances. I hope not.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
What else are we going to hear? Are special interest groups going to become so bold as to make statements like these?

Who cares if they do? They have every right to make these statements. There are special interest groups all over tugging at his jacket. These are no different. Obama is likely to make more college money and child care, etc. available for those who need it, but it's not going to be because of their skin color.

I'm not worried about it. I don't think it's something to worry about.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I am actually kind of surprised that Lady Bad, who is a racist and hates whitey, would condescend to wear a non-black piece of cloth. My guess is that she will soon comply with the other racists. Maybe even give them 'rescue' money, due to their long standing disadvantages.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

I thought of another 'perk'. How about racial quotas for prisons? 'Oh, sorry. We can't sentence this murderer to prison, because we already have our quota of blacks.'

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77

Aretha's Hat

'
'

That hat was made by Mr. Song Millinery in Detroit. He's getting bombarded with calls for people wanting that hat---as far as England.

What some might find hilarious (me) others might think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

As to Michelle Obama's wardrobe---Since when were the people of the US put in charge of what she should wear and what she shouldn't? I would think that she choses her clothes according to what she likes, not what others expect she should wear.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

The people who are expecting special treatment because of the color of their skin need to come into the present.

I agree 100%. Unfortunately there are many just like the designer. I recall during the election some black medias were angry because Obama wasn't buying advertisement from them. What they failed to realize is that Obama already had their vote, so why waste money. It won't be long before some blacks start to call him an Uncle Tom and I hope neither Mr/Mrs. Obama fall for that trap.

When he first began to run, he was already immediately labled an 'oreo' and not black enough. He is, after all, 50% white, 35% arab, and only 15% black. And his family ties to the Bush family probably immensly helped him get where he is today. But it is rather irrelevant what those people think; he is rather popular all over the planet, and will be until, and hopefully not, things get nasty, and things come out.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Aretha's Hat

'
'

I saw clips of Aretha in that "hat". I had a gut reaction to that hat b/c it reminded me of something off a maple syrup bottle.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Gregarious

he is rather popular all over the planet, and will be until, and hopefully not, things get nasty, and things come out.

you got my interest. What things coming out are you referring to?

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Im not a fan of the Obama's, as much as I would like to see them being criticized, Why is this even news.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by virraszto

Aretha's Hat

'
'

That hat was made by Mr. Song Millinery in Detroit. He's getting bombarded with calls for people wanting that hat---as far as England.

What some might find hilarious (me) others might think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

As to Michelle Obama's wardrobe---Since when were the people of the US put in charge of what she should wear and what she shouldn't? I would think that she choses her clothes according to what she likes, not what others expect she should wear.

Why...shucks, a huge slice of life has been fascinated with First Lady fashion since Jacqueline Kennedy graced the White House. Actually, Jacqueline's 'Pill-Box' hat was all the rage for quite a few years after she started sporting it. Empire dresses made a come back as well......and so on.

Now that is one woman whose taste and decorum will never be duplicated.....regardless of huge doses of self-aggrandizement and ego by wannabes.

I love the Brits, don't get me wrong....but they can use all the fashion advice we can give 'em

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join