It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Worries About Meth Trends

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

What did this book mean by "we?" Western culture, or society as a whole?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Thank you very much. Just for replying to tell me that

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2

I believe the book was talking about our american society.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways

Ok, I am intersted now, what did they suppose was hardwiring us to become addicts, versus other societies that don't suffer it as much?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
That company "Above The Influence" should change it's commercials around. All i ever see is them bashing on pot, but i never see commercials showing the downsides of heroin or meth. Maybe some shocking media should be implemented to scare kids straight. Like i've read before, pot is utilized it seems as the enemy... Almost as if it's the face for the war on drugs... yet it's pros outweigh the cons. Maybe if those commercials focused on meth things would change. I also think schools should have better programs that discuss this issue. Maybe show them some episodes of AMC's Intervension... or play them the movie Requiem for a Dream... both of these have scared me #less of drugs, not to mention seeing people i've grown up with destroyed by them.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by WinoBot]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Sooo many good posts in this thread amongst the "white noise" of BS bickering.....
I read every single post, as I always do in any thread I ever post in. My main reason for posting in this one in particular, as with many, is that I've had very personal and intimate experience with the topic at hand.

For most of my life I was a pretty straight-laced guy when it came to drugs. In my late teens I could count on 1 hand how many times I smoked pot, In my late 20's I could do the same for lsd. After that I didn't touch anything for over a decade (except alcohol). I was in my early 30's, successful at what I did and recently (happily) divorced. I met a lot of new people at that time in my life and made a lot of new friends. However, I allowed myself to get involved with a couple groups of people that were into some "chemical recreation" and when in rome.....Don't get me wrong, I don't blame them for my actions, I made my own decisions. Unfortunately those decisions took me down a path that would lead to my ultimate demise if I let it. I saw a mother of 3 lose her right to see her children. I saw people routinely lose their jobs. I knew people who lived in horrible conditions because all they cared about was the next bump and ultimately get evicted.

I saw myself in every one of those people, we were all on the same path. I'm very lucky in that I was able to take a step back and look at myself. I may not have lost the things those people did, but I knew if I kept going I would have. It was only a matter of time. As stated in another post, there seemingly are initial benefits in many ways but it will also drag you down to the depths chasing after those initial benefits. I used meth a total of about 9 months with barely a "clean week" now and then. In some respects the damage was done and for some it would have been beyond the point of no return. I wanted to stop but it would prove to be difficult. At that time I met my future wife and mother of my children. For me that was the catalyst to be able to put it down and walk away. At first she didn't know, but I came clean before I asked her to marry me and promised to never touch it again.

I've been clean just over 3 years now. I can tell you that some of it's effects have worn off while others have not. THANK GOD I don't grind my teeth anymore, I did it A LOT. However, the damage to my teeth has been done and is irreversible. The cravings have not subsided, I honestly feel it at least every other day and I don't know if it will ever stop. I hope it does but I'll continue to take it one day at a time as a reminder. I do believe that some have a better chance at quiting/rehab then others. We're all different to certain degree's. Some people get highly addicted to substances the first time they use while others can just put it down and walk away. I feel I'm lucky in that I've been blessed with the will power to fight for a good life.

It's actually quite a coincidence today.....seeing this thread on ATS.....I was walking into work today from the parking garage. I happened to notice a small plastic baggy on the ground. I picked it up and easily identified it's contents as crystal meth. I didn't need to open it, I know an old acquaintance when I see one. I can tell you that my mind was processing a 1,000 what-if's a second but only one thought made it easy to drop it in the nearest trash can.....My kids

[edit on 27-1-2009 by wazar]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Meth was also used by the U.S. Air Force and Navy in the Vietnam War. From Vietnam up through "Operation Desert Storm," the U.S. Air Force has employed the use of both amphetamines (the military slang is "go pills") in selected aircraft for specific missions, as well as sedatives to aid sleep when necessary. In primary Navy flight training and Nasa shuttle flights, Dexedrine is administered frequently in combination with scopolamine to combat motion sickness. Scopolamine is also an ingredient used in truth serum, and as a sedative.

"Go Pills"

Dextroamphetamine is routinely handed out by the Air Force to pilots to keep them awake and alert on long missions. Air Force pilots must sign a form called "Informed Consent for Use of Dextroamphetamine as a "Go Pill" in Military Operations." So although taking the drug is not technically mandatory, a refusal to sign the form could result in a Commander designating them as "unfit to fly a given mission," and the form states this clearly.

In December 2002, an installment of ABC's 20/20 news program examined the use of "go pills" in the military. During that program, Dr. Robert DuPont, one of the leading authorities on drug addiction in the U.S., stated he was shocked to learn the U.S. air force encourages, if not mandates, the use of amphetamines for pilots.

So i'm getting a mixed message from my leaders
if so dangerous, isn't letting them fly million dollar planes with
nukes while "high" Dangerous?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by wazar

Amen, brother

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
reply to post by Walkswithfish

your ignorance amazes me,"kill them all" what a jack hole!, i bet your one of those ex addicts in between your next hit. becuze only someone as ignorant as one would say something like that,,hey if you cant kick drugs ,maybe you should kil yourself, ever thought of that, hu smart guy?

Obviously you missed the point I was trying to make in that post, my apologies to you for the misunderstanding, if you take it in context and read again, perhaps you will get it.

I have been frustrated with the view that many have of meth addicts, and my response contained some sarcasm. I was responding to another post, and perhaps should have thought it through a bit more, my feelings are the opposite, I believe that addicts should be helped, that most are victims not criminals and above all they are humans suffering a horrible affliction, maybe self induced, but victims none the less. We can either help them or make it worse and in most states they are making it worse by using the criminal system rather than treatment, prevention and rehabilitation programs.

That said, I am not a drug user, nor have any issues with addiction... I do have a relative who is suffering greatly from meth addiction, and it has been an ongoing crisis for the family, we want to help and have tried everything, but meth aways seems to win back the soul of a once wonderful person.

Congratulations on your recovery and thank you for sharing, and thanks to all who have contributed here.

I have been away in part because of this family crisis and my job. My relative has entered rehab, I pray for the last time and that this time the outcome will mean freedom from this evil addiction.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Meth is one of the worst drugs of choice I have seen to date.

Because of where I work I see drug users on a daily basis coming in.

The only ones I can say oh ya he/she is doing "insert drug here" are the meth users and not because of looks. Some heavy users look normal despite what is shown to the public.

However their attitude is very distinctive and with in minutes of meeting them you can tell.

Their standard MO is they deserve everything and no matter what you provide for them or information you give them it is not good enough. Sure some people are born naturally like that but take one of those people and amplify it 100 fold and you have the attitude of a heavy meth user.

You tell them a smoke break is in 5 minutes, they rip your head off and demand it now, you tell them they need to stay in their room because they have an extremely contagious disease and you don't want the other clients infected with it they stroll the halls and completely ignore you. Non stop doing exactly opposite of what is requested of them 24/7.

It's not usually the drug that kills them it's either other meth users or some gang banger they PO'ed because of their attitude.

Doesn't matter how much meth they take once reaching a certain point they will no longer get the effect no matter how much they take and by that time end up OD'in trying to get the high or whatever it does.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways

Ok, I am intersted now, what did they suppose was hardwiring us to become addicts, versus other societies that don't suffer it as much?

Perhaps instant gratification or lack of spiritual understanding. Maybe even purpose of life.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Revolution-2012 I Agree Leeave the drugies to kill them selves thats what the elite want anyway

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpookyVince
Religion is the most dangerous drug in the world.

Curing an addict is near impossible.

There are new addicts everyday.

It has killed more than any other drug.

It will continue to do so.

My 2 cents.

And I sign.

What a Crock of BUNK.

You want to know what has killed more people is places where Religion has had no voice.

Have you forgoten about Stalin where millions died

Pol Pot

The Khamir Rouge

After Hitler claiming to be a Christian after the church got him elected he turned on all of them and killed 6 million Jews with his fascination of Darwinism and eugenics.

Then we have the worst genocide of all

ABORTION

As for all you people talking about how drug addicts should be killed and punished severely I think the phrase "By the grace of God there go I" comes to mind. Like the Science fiction movies of the early sixties where they often destroyed some alien being saying:

"we didn't understand it, so we killed it"

And why this thread about drugs has been allowed to continue Ill never know

As for the Drug called "Religion" don't knock it

till you tried it

.02 returned

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
The disease of addiction even with meth is best explained by Bill Nye

You may want to know just what this is really about

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I swear the Nazis they came up with some of the best drugs, heroine, methamphetamine, and methadone just to name a few. History claims that when the British attacked the Ottoman Turks in Palestine to conclude their agreement with Lord Rothschild detailed in the Balfour Declaration they preceded the ground attack by dropping heroine and hashish on the Turkish troops who presumably after a couple of days partying were in no shape to fight when the British Army came wandering down the road to Jerusalem.

Popular drugs like Xanax (Alprazolam) were first discovered and pioneered through military applications.

Like the War on Terror in many ways is a war to commit terror, the War on drugs is a war for drugs.

It is true some drugs the military has pioneered were designed to help wounded soldiers simply overcome their wounds or the pain from them. Many though were designed to help interrogate prisoners of war more thoroughly and invasively. A large percentage though were developed and dispensed to soldiers just to get them to fight and march longer and harder. Alexander the Greats army chewed opium leaves on the march.

In fact major wars between nations have been fought over the drug trade itself.

The reality is that some of these drugs especially the synthetic opium derivatives take over so many functions of the brain and body that coming off of them is like being born again.

Not in the Christian sense, but in the who turned of the heat and turned on the lights sense and oh wow, I don’t know about this, this place and how I feel now.

Think a moment about how many people are angry at governments, politicians, corporations, business people, terrorists and those so defined, and pretty much everyone and everything including themselves over a world whose state they have always been conditioned uninterrupted to live in and accept.

Imagine all of a sudden being dropped into the middle of such a world and feeling funny, run down, and not quite right to begin with, and realizing all at once the full scope of the nature of our world.

At that point, believe me; you just have to love to be straight for the sake of being straight.

Drugs are one more way societies and people are manipulated and enslaved beyond their control. Take away control of drugs you take away a good portion of the control drugs have on people. Drugs fit directly into so many levels of the current problem.

Create a fun peaceful world anyone would feel safe and secure to live in, or at least be humane enough to let a person have their drug of choice, safely and securely.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I agree with the person who posted about the addiction, prison, losing and turning around. People who have not been addicted to meth can not understand because they simply do not know. There is a lot of lies and propaganda about addiction to meth.

And to the lady who took a puff off a crack pipe and was hooked, well you are already gone, some people just can't function normally. I don't mean to be making fun of you, but puhleeez. That was a little histrionic.

It is a personal issue, people have their own choice of drug, whether it is a pill or powder or what. It is nothing new, coca cola used to have coc aine in the soda at the turn of the 20th century. American indians always had peyote buttons for medicine and the mescal plant. You can't act like this is the problem of the last generation or so. It has been around forever.

Well, you can sorta blame Hitler for methamphetamine, thats what fueled the Nazis.

[edit on 5-2-2009 by catamaran]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Years ago, I noticed something strange about Meth.

When there was a heavy crackdown in the South on outdoor Pot growing, people turned to Meth. It could all be done inside with easily obtainable materials.

At that time, helicopters flew over the country with infrared detectors, making outdoor growing impossible.

Relatively innocuous Pot was replaced by killer Meth...

People will choose to use addictive substances. Because of cultural issues Alcohol prohibition works in Saudi Arabia, but people use Tobacco, Ghat, Marijuana, and Coffee that walks and talks its so strong. If one drug is scarce, expensive, or unavailable, people will use another.

In the case of Meth, the result was far worse than what it replaced.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
WELL, I THINK FINALLY MY POINT CAME CLEAN.

IF THREADS ABOUT POT AREN'T ALLOWED DISCUSSING LEGAL ISSUES AND BENEFICIAL CIRCUMSTANCES AND HOW IT'S NOT A HORRIBLE DRUG,

THEN NEITHER SHOULD BE DISCUSSING HOW A DRUG IS HORRIBLE.

Therefore, I foresee this thread being D E L E T E D.

BTW, Intrepid, let the mods decide what's right.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join