It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1,000,000 jobs created under Obama... If you are a teenager, you will work for free.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

Freedom is alot like alcohol, it should be enjoyed in moderation, in the right amounts it is enjoyable, too much however causes people to act like idiots and say whatever they want. A unified "work program" for teens would benifit many underpriviledged youth as well a those Priviledged by giving both the opertunity to learn and foster understanding. You have kids 18 and 19 dropping out of highschool, no skills, no money, and no means to support themselves other then selling dope or robbing other people.

There are too few oppertunities for todays youth that stray, but plenty of prison space, the young need guidance and a large percentage of American parents are just unable to provide a home environment conducive to producing responsible young adults thus society as a whole ends up paying the price.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
It's not the parents that are are the problem.It's people saying parents can't spank their kids or yell at their kids so parents are afraid to correct their children out of fear of Child Services stepping in and taking their kids and locking them up. It's another example of state and Gov. and schools over stepping their bounds and not letting parents do what needs to be done.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
So we put everyone in the same path, teach them the same way. Because of those who you find to be bad, every child must do this "community service"? What if I had something that I found more constructive for my children to do? I guess I don't have a choice.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sara1

Originally posted by alyosha1981

Originally posted by Lazyninja
No man it's not a good thing, the moral upbringing of a child is the duty of the parents. When the state is instilling morals and work ethic into teenagers that is definitely when stuff is going wrong.

Problem is that some parents are diong a horrible job raising their kids so the govt. has to take over. Your right though it is the parent's job to "moraly raise a child" but what of all the children whose parents possess no morals whatsoever?

Such is the cost of living in a free country. People are allowed to raise their children however they wish. End of story.

Quite a defeatist statement don't you think? remember the youth of today are the leaders of tomorrow. I for one don't want to bear the burden of raising incompatant people's kids but on the other hand using the excusse of free country seems to me like enabling the continuation of idiot parents setting their kids up for failure.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

Freedom is alot like alcohol, it should be enjoyed in moderation, in the right amounts it is enjoyable, too much however causes people to act like idiots and say whatever they want.

This might be true, heck it is true because we're not all truly free are we? You have to remember though that once you give up a freedom, it's gone. It would be difficult to reclaim. People need to be very cautious about giving away these little freedoms as if they were spare change laying around, because more freedom is taken away than people realize. It whittles away at the freedom-tree bit by bit, you don't want it to snap entirely!

Please take your freedoms seriously. Remember that you don't know how bad something could potentially be until it's too late.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

I agree 100%

But if there wasn't a 9-11 Conspiracy Board on ATS then I wouldn't be so against this.

And it is because I so strongly believe that 9-11 was the biggest lie sold to the public since the Reichstag Fire in 1933... Then I will fight for the truth and freedom for as long as it takes.... And that means the government will no longer tell my children how to perform community service.

I'm doing the Community a service right now... I'm trying to get the truth out (Far beyond what I type on ATS, but in my own community.)

I want my children to do the same... to get the truth out before it's too late (did you hear me this time Big Brother?)

[edit on 21-1-2009 by Doomsday 2029]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Some of the replies already stated go to show the entitlement mentality that has some people jumping to conclusions.

You know I do community service voluntarily several times a month. Yea thats why I am not on here nearly as much as I used to.

See there are actually people in America that do take pride in their communities and volunteer their "free" time to make their towns a better place.

Aside from cleaning up the three lakes around my apartments which provide a beautiful view, fishing for the kids, and relaxing picnic space for the family I also volunteer with Tampa Bay Watch on various projects throughout the year to help restore our regional estuaries. Noone forces me to to do this.

I have a profound respect for the land that is my and our homes, even if most people feel too entitled, selfish, or lazy walk three steps and place garbage in the garbage can or save it till you get to one. I take my two year old child with me in the apartments when I clean up the lakes because he enjoys the walk. I am sure some here would think I am teaching him to hate freedom and the Capitalist way, but I beg to differ.

If I an others dont volunteer our time to help restore and rebuild our regional coastal environment, the organizations wont have the funding to do it alone. Then my child has to grow up eating cloned fish and only swimming in a bay in some kind of simulated video game. How horribly disconnected and miserable I would feel for such a future.

This is not limited to environmental projects, which is by the way a critical issue today and for years to come. This can pave way for youth to find volunteer positions doing simple tasks in Hospitals, parks, local government facilities and so on where there may be less critical tasks that can be done to free up time for regular staff to focus on the more important things. This is while at the same time, the youth are developing their discipline, communication skills, and respect for careers and the people who keep our system running. The on hands educational experience they can gain through these programs would be a plus in any parents book, I know it would be in mine.

I have no doubt that this initiative would also take into account the opportunity to add as extra credit for their grades to the relevant classes.

Examples:
Students doing volunteer tasks in Hospitals or clinics would have their grades benefit in Health, anatomy, biology classes.
Those in Police Stations(not exposed directly to criminal offenders) court houses can benefit in classes pertaining to law or justice.
Civic centers, museums, parks the benefits go on IMO.

This can only have positive outcomes on our society in general. I believe it shows a maturing of the collective conscious.

I read a fictional narrative in eighth grade which offered a somewhat similar version of this kind of program. that was seven years ago and I had actually desired that something like that existed at the time for myself to participate in.

I work at Wal-Mart and raise a child who is never away from one parent at a time at any point of the day for more than five minutes. I still find time to do volunteer activities in my community that I know have a positive impact.

What is so hard about children and teens getting away from thought corrupting, soul destroying tv and video games, or off the streets doing crime and drugs for an alotted amount of hours a month doing good things instead?

The problem started when it became viewed that only bad people and criminals serve their community without pay.

No I am not on any kind of Welfare, or social services. We do not recieve EBT (food stamps) or WIC, or a disability check. We just live right, focus on our personal fitness, and try to do good whenever possible. I love to work, and if I were somehow magically wealthy, I would work for free all week in my own community.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merkel
It's not the parents that are are the problem.It's people saying parents can't spank their kids or yell at their kids so parents are afraid to correct their children out of fear of Child Services stepping in and taking their kids and locking them up. It's another example of state and Gov. and schools over stepping their bounds and not letting parents do what needs to be done.

I have no fear of punshing my children, in any way I see fit. I do see your point though, and this is an issue that is differant for every parent in varying circumstances, the punishment should always fit the misbehaivor and be be extreme or violent. Parents were abusing their kids and calling it discipline.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   

No man it's not a good thing, the moral upbringing of a child is the duty of the parents. When the state is instilling morals and work ethic into teenagers that is definitely when stuff is going wrong.

Great, bring proof positive that your children have contributed to the well being of humanity and the country more efficiently and in a better fashion than the state run program ever could and you get a 'get out of mandatory service card' for free. You'll probably get recognition for doing such a great job in raising your kids as well.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

I get the impression that you would have been right at home jumping through hoops at the Hitler youth camps.

The government requires my kids be good little consumers and worker ants, nothing else. That is all that's required of them, whether they die of a heart attack at 40 years old, or gave a crap about the moral fabric of society is entirely up to them.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by DYepesIf I an others dont volunteer our time to help restore and rebuild our regional coastal environment, the organizations wont have the funding to do it alone. Then my child has to grow up eating cloned fish and only swimming in a bay in some kind of simulated video game. How horribly disconnected and miserable I would feel for such a future.

That's my point... We already have people like you who voulnteer!

And not only that we could turn this into a business!!! We could promote a business that employs people to work in the bay area that you work in, and do the same thing.

Oh wait... the government doesn't like that.... they want to controll you and put flouride in your water.... etc. etc. etc.

THEY WANT TO TAX YOU.... illegally!!!

Well I can put up wit the unconstitutional taxing..... I can't put up with the Unconstitutional WORK / SERVICE.

[edit on 21-1-2009 by Doomsday 2029]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   

The government requires my kids be good little consumers and worker ants, nothing else. That is all that's required of them, whether they die of a heart attack at 40 years old, or gave a crap about the moral fabric of society is entirely up to them.

Haven't you seen the propaganda news?

Everything is falling apart.

For the liers and deniers, outside the gates, to admit that things are getting bad is a feat in and of itself.

[edit on 21-1-2009 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   

It's not defeatist, quite the opposite I would think. Defeatist would be, "here I can't be bothered to raise my children, you take over ol' government friend o' mine". Merkel put it best regarding that. People aren't free to raise their children properly and so now this has a downward spiral effect down the generations.

reply to post by DYepes

Sure volunteer work is good for a community and very rewarding. I've done volunteer work at a school for the special needs children. However this is where the whole volunteer work drastically changes: Mandatory "volunteer" work isn't volunteer work anymore! Have you ever forced a child to do some chore? They're not happy to do it trust me.

Your whole post focuses on volunteer work and the good effects it has on people. Yes of course it does. But people need to CHOOSE to do it, this is vital.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Everything is falling apart because America is suffering an engineered economic collapse, designed to create a massive tax debt, shouldered by the future generations. I don't recognize that America is collapsing because of the moral decay of society. I see plenty of moral decay in your corporate sponsored government though.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merkel

EXACTLY!!!!!

My Child could be.... well, I don't have that choice anymore because I'm not allowed to discipline him the way I see fit... Thanks to our government.

I'm not anti-governmnet, I'm just mad at what I believe they are doing. And what I believe they are doing doesn't matter anymore because the majority rules.... and the majority are asleep.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Well perhaps I should have worded differently, but my focus was on community service in general. I would still be just as happy to work for my community if it were mandatory as if it were voluntary. Its as simple as your name coming up in the weekly rotation with fifteen other local citizens to perform a required task.

What if the local utilities is having issues and there is no more money in this months budget to hire the required personnel to maintain it for the last few days? Simply access the list of known qualified citizens and request some assistance for a few days. No doubt its better than drinking brown water?

Obviously that example probably wont see reality, but I am just trying to make a point.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I wonder how many people in this thread:

a) volunteer their time to some needy cause ... let's say at least 3 hours a week

and

b) have kids who do the same (if indeed you have kids that are of age to help)

I take a look at some of the threads on here about people sharing nothing but ONE ONION SANDWICH A DAY for a WHOLE family during the Great Depression (yes, two pieces of bread and some onion slices ... for 4 or more people ... and similar stories). People spread fear about how the economy is going downhill, a depression is coming, times will be tough, people won't know how to survive, we don't have the skills to make it through etc.

And then we whine and complain that making COMMUNITY SERVICE MANDATORY is a travesty to the constitution.

Honey, I'm sorry, but people during the last depression HAD NO CHOICE but to help each other out and serve the greater good. It wasn't by FORCE or by DECREE, it was by NECESSITY. You want to live? You help each other out.

I'm all for the constitution and for this country remaining the land of the free, but there is no doubting that we are (in general - I implore anyone to argue with me on this point) a LAZY country. Hell, I'd much rather have my sons, daughters, myself helping out my community, my state, my country NOW while times aren't really so bad (I have a car! I have internet! I have a job! I have a supermarket within walking distance! hell I have a blackberry!) rather than being relegated to "serve" our families by stealing each others' potato crops in order to survive. Can anyone honestly argue me here and say they would rather go down that path if given the choice???

Freedom is a great thing. But, if a freedom (in this case, the freedom to choose whether or not I serve my country) infringes on another freedom (with foresight, the freedom to maintain a current lifestyle through challenge and change in the time of what could be our nation's greatest adversity) ... then I will gladly sacrifice one freedom for another.

Life isn't a series of standing your ground, it's a series of compromises.

/rant ... too disappointed that people here look at trivialities instead of looking at the big picture ...

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Mandatory "volunteer" work isn't volunteer work anymore! Have you ever forced a child to do some chore? They're not happy to do it trust me.

I can just see the headlines now.

"Volunteer program managers involved in government contract corruption charges".

"Volunteers involved in drug dealing and gang violence".

"Millionaire families involved in bribery conspiracy in order to avoid sending kids to serve the greater good".

ETC ...

We can't do nothin' right

There is a reward for giving your time, it's called feeling better. If people are determined to feel bad they should be volunteered for garbage duty.

Millionaire kids can learn by serving time with getto kids. Likely though they'll come up with some kind of hierarchy so they don't have to.

[edit on 21-1-2009 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   

It's not defeatist, quite the opposite I would think. Defeatist would be, "here I can't be bothered to raise my children, you take over ol' government friend o' mine". Merkel put it best regarding that. People aren't free to raise their children properly and so now this has a downward spiral effect down the generations.

reply to post by DYepes

Yes actually it is, the "end of story" part implies that nothing more can be done thus defeat. People are "free" to raise their children the fact that some laws protect children's right should not be misconstrued as loss of freedom.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
A mother tried to discipline her 2 children aboard an airplane and was arrested, the only way she got out of it was to admit she was a terrorist.

Link

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join