It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's Black... So What !!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
The inauguration... It’s on every news station at the moment and for crying out loud how come they can’t stop talking about Obama and that fact that he is black I mean come on move on now it’s really pissing me off soo much now and I’ve noticed that every time Obama is in the news or makes an appearance somewhere all they can talk about is his skin color

I mean I fully understand that this is a historic day and all and that yes he is the first black president but for crying out loud they go on and on and on about it and I find myself screaming "GROW THE **** UP" at the television screen I mean come on get over it

they keep comparing him to Martin Luther King aswell but he is nothing like him at all he just happens to be the same skin color and he is a great speaker that’s the only comparisons really does anyone else have the same feeling here or is it just me who can see all.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Tell us how you really feel.....

It has been a ceiling that is broken. I think part of it is celebrating that he is not from a privelaged white family that has been bred and raised and educated to be a privelaged world leader. His father was an immigrant from a small village.

What it tells ALL OF US, that we have a chance of potus one day, and it is not as hopeless as it looks. That there are now more opportunites, for those of us who are not in the club.

Get used to it, it is gonna be the same when the first woman is elected, when the first non-christian is elected.
And what I personally hope to see, the first Native American.

I think that will be a big deal also.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The media has been plastering him all over the tv screens for the last 2 years, and today upsets you so much?

Why?

It is just another day, just another president, and just another set of promises, speeches, and hopes and dreams that are hanging in the balance once more.

Tomorrow is another day.....turn the page.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Anti - Government

I do understand where you are coming from and I also think they are going way over the top on some issues. Its reasons like this comparing eachother to eachother that we have become blind to what its like to be unified. We still cannot get over the racial issue and it has been 40+ years, we need to stop seperating ourselves by us and them, black and white and learn that we are all people. No matter what tribe we come from or what family, we are all equal and all people in a very troubled world..

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
On one hand, this man speaks of equality....on the other he mentions race......what doesn't fit??? Think about it.

He got his position, because he was able to charm the pants off America....tell them what they wanted to hear, and sealed it with a kiss (sworn in)....just like any marriage....you don't know somebody 'till you live with them....

And it doesn't matter what color they are....if he were white, green, purple or brown....using the tactics he used that person would be sitting right where he is today.

~Holly

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I am glad that Obama has been elected I think he can possibly lead America forward or at least he WILL do a better job that Bush could ever have done but every chance they get to refer to his skin color they take it with both hands and it’s the 21st century now why can’t they just get over it and move on

I agree with that we should definitely be all for motivating normal and less privileged people into doing whatever they want to do because its 100% true we can all do whatever we want to do in life but im really pissed off by the blatantly obvious surprisement from the media that a black man has done this well I just wish they would move on get over it and grow the hell up

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I've had people coming in all morning saying they've been waiting for this since they were children.

I dont get.

Isnt thinking this is a special moment because of his skin color in itself racist?

It's like seeing a black man not go to jail and being surprised.
How demeaning is it to say: "wow, Barack is 20 and hasnt gone to jail yet. Congratulations Barack." ?
Seems pretty damn racist to me. But what do I know. I'm just some bigot who thinks Affirmative Action (prioritizing based on race) is racist.

It never ceases to amaze me that when people are trying not to be bigots they look like raving Klansmen.

link   
This is a wonderful day for this nation. From slavery, to segregation, to the evil Jim Crow laws...........how far we have come.

Colin Powell made the statement that there was a time when he could not get a hamburger in the South and look at what transpired today!

It is historic and it signals a day when men in this nation are judged by the content of their character, instead of the color of their skin. There will always be those that refuse to be pleased with progress, but the majority has spoken. What is most wonderful is all Americans are now looking forward, to a new day when I can honestly tell my grandchildren they too can be POTUS!

Allow people the joy of this moment, there is plenty of time for sorrow and struggles, this day is for celebration.

link   
Oh well the media got him elected been having him shoved down our throats since he came on to the scene,wonder how highly they will speak of him when things turn to crap,maybe they will blame Bush,I too are sick of hearing references to him and Abe Lincoln,the guy has done virtually nothing,come on now it's starting to get bad,wish I could find my wader boots because I think it will be getting deep soon

link   
"Obama's Black... So What !!"

We'll your 50% correct..............

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Given the statistics that one of four black men in this nation are incarcerated or part of the system of Parole and Probation, I don't see your point. In many places it is worth congratulations if you can get from one side of town to the other if you are a young black man without being stopped, searched, and having ID demanded.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
actually, i thought he was mulatto - mixed from both black and white parents... that's like calling my brother-in-law's half-brother, who's also mixed and looks mostly white, black.

if you were to see my brother-in-law's half-brother, you'd laugh at the thought of someone calling him black too...

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Totally agree AG.It is getting on my nerves aswell,it's like we need reminding just incase we have not figured it out yet.

When Browne TOOk OVER power they did not keep saying,Here is the white,scottish,grey haired,fat bloke.Did they.

Lewtra

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by redhead57

I have yet to live in one of these racist areas.

I did hear an interesting story this morning about how a coworkers mother is part of some Democrat social club in the South and the only way to get in is to be sponsored and none of the people want to stick their necks out and sponsor a black person. I thought that was pretty funny.

Damn racist Democrats

[edit on 20-1-2009 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
who cares other then executive decisions, the true power is the house and senate who can override the president. They are who have the power, so yea our "figurehead" is mixed. But the real power still lies where it has always been.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   

No I agree that America has come along but do you think its fair that everyone is just so up I arms all because you have elected someone who isn’t the same color I mean come on your still human right as long as your that it shouldn’t matter what the color of your skin is

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Well I think the big deal is because its kind of a historical moment.
There has been many good men in the past who wanted to be president however due to the fact they were African American they never even got considered.
So the fact hes actually now the President is a big deal.
And secondly a huge deal because, the majority of people are happy that Bush is gone.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Sorry... I'm just Obama'd out right now. Everywhere I turn... there he is. I can't wait till this is over.... and he's official... then maybe the media blitz can let up a little. I'm starting to see Obama in my sleep...

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I think it is something to make a big deal of. For many my age and younger, I can understand what you are saying. You were raised in a different world. I am 31 years old. Discrimination had not been filtered out of our raise yet. I was not allowed to watch any shows except Cosby, that had a black person on it. I could count the amount of black people in my school on one hand. When a colored person moved into town, everyone talked about it. I was not a racist, neither was my sister. However, it was engrained into our parents.

The fact is, he is one of the first black men to be raised free, and take advantage of what freedom has to offer instead of taking it for granted. It is a proud day not just for people of color, but for the entire country. I think it is a big deal. However, I do not think it should be made a big deal for much longer.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   

I could now have said it better myself, redhead57. I came from an old south type family, my ancestors held slaves before the war. My Great Great Grandfather sold an entire tract of land to raise money for a Regiment, and after the war, my family was broke, like many others. But! the slaves he held went to war with him, and fought for freedom, and most other good Southern boys did. That being said, it is now time to lay to rest the old ways, and to heal the old wounds. The time has come to stand together as a Free People, not to dissolve in another bloody conflict. I heard the speech and was moved to tears several times. Obama spoke of extending the hand of friendship to all Nations, not just the favored ones, and this is something I can get behind, and believe in.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join