It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Shortages?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
An article in the Telegraph made note of a US chain (fresh and Easy) using Twitter to let customers know what is going on (new stores etc.):

However, one customer sent this to them:

@Fresh_and_Easy I go out of my way to shop at your store but the stock has seemed a little sparse the last couple of visits.

Their reply:

@songrytr thanks for letting us know. Stock tends to be a bit lower at the end of the day due to our shipping schedules. 2:32 PM Jan 14th from web in reply to songrytr

So, how are the shelves stocked at your local stores? With threads like this on ATS I wonder if there is any truth?

Twitter URL

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Honestly, I've seen no "shortages" here at all. Any grocery store you enter in the evening is going to have at least one or two spaces on a shelf completely bare of product. For example, I can almost always walk into my local Safeway in the morning, see that they have Rice-a-roni on sale 10 boxes for $10, and know that if I go back to the store at 7 PM, all of the chicken flavore R-A-R will be sold out. It isn't anything to worry about because I know that:
A. They stock their shelves at night
B. I've observed this same trend for my entire life

Unless I've lived my whole life in a recession with food shortages, everything seems pretty normal to me.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Its alright here in the southeast.
There been allot of gas stations closing down.
I have friends in the firearms business.
Their profits a through the roof.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I haven't noticed shortages but I have noticed some changes.
Less types of things less brands stocked.
Often running out of stock at certain times where they never used to.
Like they are actually ordering less so they don't waste it.
It seems because of the economic problems they are just being wise with there money I would guess.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Like they are actually ordering less so they don't waste it.
It seems because of the economic problems they are just being wise with there money I would guess.

That would be what I would expect most - just prudent ordering.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
There have been in my frys but I live in a rural area and everyone shops there,
I think it is for that reason. The population has doubled here and the stores did not keep up. If I goto the city , the stores are fine.

Ama

[edit on 19-1-2009 by amatrine]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
No shortage here in Northern California

What you may be seeing is that stores are refusing to carry inventory they think they cannot sell. Better to be alittle short that to have to throw away spoiled produce they fail to sell.

Even if its not a pherishable item, it cost money in terms of storage and capital to keep alot of extra product around

[edit on 1/19/09 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
What you may be seeing is that stores are refusing to carry inventory they think they cannot sell. Better to be alittle short that to have to throw away spoiled produce they fail to sell.

Yeah, and we'll see more and more of that due to the rough economy. Business are being a little more careful about wasting product/money.

No food shortage at the moment here, at the moment.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Everything seems fine at the stores here in southeast Texas. Shelves are stocked. No problem so far. Thanks for starting this thread. Hopefully we can continue with the updates

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Every place I have been is filled. The only people that will be affected will be those in third world countries. Mark it here. There will be no food shortage in the US.

top topics

join