It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The “No Hope, No Change” Cop Out

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
We have a new president who is calling ON US for our help and hard work in making the changes this country needs. He is asking us to exercise personal responsibility, service, resolve, self-reliance, individual liberty, and national unity. He has always highlighted that his presidency is about us, not him.

He has never said that HE will bring the change we need. He has instead called upon US to make it happen, because he cannot do it. It’s our country and we are the ones who elected him. We used our power and our voices to elect him as our president to serve us and help us bring about the changes this country so desperately needs. And WE are the ones who need to make the changes happen.

So, when people sit back in scorn of Obama, cross their arms and pout that HE won’t bring any change, they’re right. He won’t. He can’t. That’s OUR job. And he has always said that. Those people who are constantly deriding Obama because he’s not changing things are copping out. They are waiting for Obama to fix things (change things), while criticizing other people for doing just that.

It’s time to get off your collective butts and join the rest of us to make the changes in this country that we need. Get away from your TV and computer and DO something instead of whining and complaining that Obama’s not changing anything yet. It’s not his JOB! It’s OUR job. And if you insist on sitting on your butt, and doing nothing except crying that “he’s not change”, then look in the mirror. Because this country is made up of people like you. We’re going to work together to bring about change and it’s up to you whether you help or sit back and cop out.

Here’s the freedom of choice part. You can choose to accept the reality of our new president and do your best to move the country in a new direction or you can opt out by copping the attitude that he’s not fixing your life and your country, so you don’t have to do anything.

Either way, the country is going to change. You can be part of it or not. Your choice.

From Obama's Election Night Speech

This is your victory.

I will ask you join in the work of remaking this nation the only way it's been done in America for two-hundred and twenty-one years - block by block, brick by brick, calloused hand by calloused hand.

This victory alone is not the change we seek - it is only the chance for us to make that change. And that cannot happen if we go back to the way things were. It cannot happen without you.

So let us summon a new spirit of patriotism; of service and responsibility where each of us resolves to pitch in and work harder and look after not only ourselves, but each other.

Let us resist the temptation to fall back on the same partisanship and pettiness and immaturity that has poisoned our politics for so long.

Renew America Together

Local action is the first step towards restoring the promise of our great nation. Today people across the country will attend service events in their communities to answer the President-elect’s call to service.
President-elect Obama’s initiative to Renew America Together begins today, and it’s not too late for you to get involved.

I’m off to serve.
Have a wonderful day.

+18 more 
posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Hmm..so the President isn't responsible then? Wonder how come nobody ever applied that thinking to President Bush then?

I thought everything was HIS fault.

And people aren't going to have to get off of their butts and contribute once Obama starts handing out checks for doing nothing through his stimulus plans will they?

His entire approach is for government to do more for us, not for us to do more for ourselves.

[edit on 19-1-2009 by nyk537]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
He's obviously calling on the American People to help out. SO, when nothing seems to change its OUR faults.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Just telling the poor cash strapped sheeple that he needs our help...
...can mean anything. It can mean he needs us to sacrifice even more of our non-exsistant funds, sacrifice more jobs and give them to overseas workers, give up our way of life...anything.

He keeps saying change. Yes we can...blah blah. Ok...how about being specific and to the point instead of this generalizing that sounds appealing to an already stressed out, tired and angry public that is easily swayed and convinced by simple sweetened words.

Lets see what his words are after the inauguration.

I bet it will be the same song and dance. Then they will go off and party hardy on our tax dollars while the public is oohed and aahhed by his Godly mind mesmerizing words.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I already started a thread for Renew America Together But obviously no body cares.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
It’s time to get off your collective butts and join the rest of us to make the changes in this country that we need.

Ah jeeeze .. now you are even channeling Michelle Obama.

Her famous authoritarian vision of life under her hubby
- 'Barack is going to make you all work ... blah blah blah '

"Barack Obama will require you to work. He is going to demand that you shed your cynicism. That you put down your divisions. That you come out of your isolation, that you move out of your comfort zone . . . Barack will never allow you to go back to your lives as usual - uninvolved, uninformed."

videos found here

Denver post

Get away from your TV and computer and DO something instead of whining and complaining .... I’m off to serve.

So does that mean that in the coming years you'll be too busy out changing the world to be here making excuses for Obama? Okay .. have fun with that.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I think he is talking about many things. We are all going to have to sacrifice to get the economy back on track. Less government spending means less services so WE will have to take up the slack. Becoming active in our own communities is huge in his way of approaching things. Remember, the laws that affect us the most are the ones at the local level, where there is the least participation.

By becoming active in City Counsel meetings, school boards, County legislatures, state governments we are all doing a part to bring change. If we start showing up at these poorly attended meetings and calling these leaders into account we make things more open.

If we would clean up our neighborhoods, it would cost the cities far less to keep things livable. If parents would supervise their children and become responsible the costs of the Juvenille Justice System would be smaller, foster care would be less. Fathers stepping up and supporting their children after separating from mothers would make a huge difference.

The list goes on and on. IF we would get our butts up and do something it is better than doing nothing. I can only hope he inspires people to do some of what I have mentioned and a hundred other things.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by redhead57
Less government spending means less services so WE will have to take up the slack.

Less government spending??

Have you ever heard of Obama before?!?

Government spending is going to go through the roof my friend. Stimulus after stimulus, bailout after bailout.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

You know, I have tried really hard to believe you were not a paid Democrat operative. But you have literally just posted the Obama administrations first set of official talking points.

This was, of course, to be expected of Obama. The man was elected on false hopes of people believing he would provide them with everything they needed - that their house would be paid for, their gas, etc. Obama can't live up to the expectations he created for himself, so now hes going to try to shift the responsibility to the population.

I can't wait until he talks about personal responsibility in the speech Tuesday. I am almost expecting to hear utter silence and someone saying "WHAT? We weren't supposed to have to do anything! You are supposed to tax those evil rich people and give us their money!"

The bloom is coming off the rose for Obama. He has yet to offer one substantive thing in any speech since hes been elected. His speeches are the same lofty rhetoric that got him elected before, but soon he will be forced to govern. And he will fail in a fantastic way that will make the American people realize what they have done to themselves.

[edit on 19-1-2009 by LowLevelMason]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to nyk (i forgot to hit reply)

I am hoping he is going to do as he said go through the budget line by line and get rid of what does not work.

Believe me, as much as I supported him and hope for the best, I am hugely opposed to his bail out plan. I was opposed to the first one and after the fiasco it is, I cannot believe there is not a better way.

I tend to be an optimist and hope for the best in all things. As opposed as I was to Bush and felt he stole the election, I was fully supportive of him after 9/11 and until I found out the lies and deceit used to get us in Iraq.

What do you people think would be helpful to this horrid economic mess we are in??? Frankly I have not got the vaguest idea, only thing I can think of is let it all die a natural death and start fresh. I can see already that is not going to happen. red

[edit on 1/19/2009 by redhead57]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by LowLevelMason

I really do think part of the unrealistic ideas about him and what he will be able to do is largely due to the newness of so many to the political scene. The media is not helping much and are really keeping this going. Dubbing him the next Moses and those saying he is the savior of the nation is only fueling the future fires of discontent.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

Hmm..so the President isn't responsible then? Wonder how come nobody ever applied that thinking to President Bush then?

I guess that's because Bush left a slimy trail of signing statements emphasizing his willingness to ignore the rule of law. And because that cardboard cowboy also told everybody that he was 'the decider'.

But nice try...

I will submit an edit, though, to ask all of those nay-sayers what their solutions might be to the current miasma the the good ol' U.S. of A seems to have immersed itself in? What are they specifically doing to make it better? How are they improving their own communities and aiding their friends and neighbours?

Cuz talk really is cheap...and I sure see a lot of it around here.

Except when I ask this kind of question...then it get strangely silent...

[edit on 19-1-2009 by JohnnyCanuck]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
It doesn't matter.

A double standard is a double standard whether you change the rules or not.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
If they want US to change things, then I suggest that WE all get a vote in the house. WE cannot effect anything because WE don't get any say in the laws that apply to US. So unless that changes, its not OUR job to change anything, its THEIRS. We simply exist to keep voting for people who get into office and represent everyone but US. WE never get a good choice of candidates that will operate fairly on behalf of the PEOPLE because WE don't have the money to compete with the big lobbyists.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
What are they specifically doing to make it better? How are they improving their own communities and aiding their friends and neighbours?

Nothing. Is that the answer you were hoping for?

I'm focusing on taking care of my family and providing the things they need. Once we're taken care of I spread out from there. I'm active in Big brothers/Big sisters, my wife volunteers at a local food shelter, and we set aside 10% of our monthly food budget to buy food to donate to our local church's food service.

And I didn't need Barack Obama to help me do any of it.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

I will submit an edit, though, to ask all of those nay-sayers what their solutions might be to the current miasma the the good ol' U.S. of A seems to have immersed itself in? What are they specifically doing to make it better? How are they improving their own communities and aiding their friends and neighbours?

It gets strangely silent because we are all standing in awe at how you can drink so much kool aid.

What were you doing for the past 8 years when you were whining constantly about Bush and blaming everything on him? What did YOU specifically do to make things better? Your post history shows nothing but whining and crying over George Bush.

Nice try, but you got caught. Talk is cheap - which is the only thing you are doing.

[edit on 19-1-2009 by LowLevelMason]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I am not able to do nearly as much as I would like as I am disabled and on a fixed income. What I do add to my community is this.

I take all my used clothing to the local women's shelter.

I make donations of food to the local food cupboard.

Call, write and email my representatives voicing my concerns and when appropriate my support of their positions and the things they do.

I do on line job applications for most of my family that do not have computer access.

I give of my finances to support the candidate of my choice, though not much, it makes me feel that I have done something.

None of these things may mean much to some people, but I do what I can.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

Let me tell you what exactly that means.

Example (typical USA company)...

Some always do their job, but never overachieve and get their paycheck. There is not a lots of people like that, but enough to keep company afloat for some time...

On the other hand, there are lots of people going around, barely working, just enough to not to get fired. They are the ones who probably, maybe, still live with their parents or constantly asking money from them, or borrowing that precious money for the gas for their car from coworkers on a weekly bases...you know, the ones who check their text messages (yep, they all have a cell phones) every 5 minutes and are the first ones in the line for a break or a smoke...

Guess what, these folks WANT their paycheck as much if not even more then those who work harder.

Company is not doing well, and managers are having a meeting to boost up the morale and saying that everybody needs to pull their part (slackers are, of course, conveniently not mentioned, because it hurts their feelings if they are singled out).

As soon as meeting is over, everybody goes back to their position. With those who like to work, management speech resonated and they will probably pick up even more slack for the underachievers.

But the slackers are the first in line to COMPLAIN that company is asking too much from them (well, they say everybody, they do not want to single themselves out). They are not there to do anything for the company, self-interest is their only motivation.

Sounds familiar ???

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

What are they specifically doing to make it better? How are they improving their own communities and aiding their friends and neighbours?

Nothing. Is that the answer you were hoping for?

I'm focusing on taking care of my family and providing the things they need. Once we're taken care of I spread out from there. I'm active in Big brothers/Big sisters, my wife volunteers at a local food shelter, and we set aside 10% of our monthly food budget to buy food to donate to our local church's food service.

And I didn't need Barack Obama to help me do any of it.

Frankly, if your level of generousity were typical, then the new government wouldn't find itself in the hand-out business. And if past governments were as astute as you seem to be, then there wouldn't be as much need. Kudos to you for being an active member of your community, though.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LowLevelMason

It gets strangely silent because we are all standing in awe at how you can drink so much kool aid.

What were you doing for the past 8 years when you were whining constantly about Bush and blaming everything on him? What did YOU specifically do to make things better? Your post history shows nothing but whining and crying over George Bush.

Nice try, but you got caught. Talk is cheap - which is the only thing you are doing.

Ok, I live in Canada, so that's got to be factored in. I sure take shots at the the Bush Administration. I take shots at the political right, here, as well. What they share is the 'politics of mean'. I have supported the politicians that do the right thing. I am also a trade unionist, and I have never seen a unionised environment that didn't earn one. I drink no koolaid.

You'll note through my posts that I am also very free with my praise for Americans while I decry the level of partisanship that is splitting you up. I visit the States, spend money there, and tell everybody how much they oughtta get to know the place and its people. And that the Bush administration does not define them.

I am active politically on a number of levels, and my volunteerism and charity is varied as well. I am optimistic about people in general, but I'm tired of the level of ignorance that pervades the 'ditto-head' mentality. Too many people are letting their internal elegance be pulled down by the dross we are being fed by Hollywood and the media.

I try to present reasoned arguments here that focus upon the improvement of society at large. And when you state that: "Your post history shows nothing but whining and crying over George Bush."...heck, that's just me confronting the ethos of ignorance. You connect the dots.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join