It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big blue light over sweden

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
hi, im kinda new on ats and this is my first post.
yesterday it was a big blue light over the southern sweden...
too bad i missed it tho

Swedish newspaper

Video

[edit on 18-1-2009 by ReWrit]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Do you have a english version of the web page?

From the image, it seems to be the moon near the horizon and some ice crystals in the atmosphere refracting the light to cause this glow.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
It was a comet guaranteed. I've seen one just like that except it hit out in the ocean.

They're beautiful they can turn green red blue, truely a once in a life time event.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Welcome to ATS.

Very good work getting the video up and everything for your first post.

I thought the film was spectacular. It didn't really matter to me what language it was in because the image was universal language!

Thanks for posting it!

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Bolid or fireball, in the class of meteors.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution-2012
They're beautiful they can turn green red blue, truely a once in a life time event.

Actually according to the article, its a 10 times a year event

The astronomer they asked says it was probably a meteor/meteorite.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Here is a translated text of the newspapers.
Used by google translater so I had to make a swift edit. So the grammar is not entirerly accurate.

Anyway, here it goes.

Unusual phenomenon lit up the sky over southern Sweden.

It was 20.06 last night when something happened.
Suddenly the sky lit up across southern Sweden.
- It was the weirdest thing I have ever seen. The whole sky was green. I thought Judgmentday had come, says Jonas Gustavsson, 21, Torup in Halland.
For several seconds the sky were colored blue, according to others it was green. The light was so bright that even people who were inside noticed it. But what was agreed yesterday not to have any clear answers.

A meteor, an airplane, a ufo or maybe Superman?
Police in Halland received several calls. Similarly SOS in Gothenburg. The phones at the police in Skåne was brought down.

- There have been many, many calls, and everyone makes a similar description, but we do not know what it was.
Nor have we found something on the ground that can explain what it was people saw, says Lennart Hornemark of the police in Skåne.

A large number of people also called Aftonbladet.
- We sat in the car, just south of Halmstad, when we saw a strong light. It was like a giant meteorite that crashed. I hope no one came to harm;said Magnus Våge, 24, from Gothenburg.
Mattias Carlsson, 18, from Landvetter describes what he saw as a great ball of fire.

- It was unbelievable
- a blue light with a long tail of fire.

Even from Trollhättan, Gothenburg, Limhamn, Svedala, Trelleborg and Tollarp came calls on celestial phenomenon.
SMHI had last night, no explanation.
- There is nothing that can explain the weather-wise, says Inga-Lill Nordin, weather.
No explanation could be given by the Sturup airport outside Malmo eaither. Peter Wintoft an astronomer at the Institute of Space Physics in Lund.
- I didn't see it myself, but from the description sounds like a bright meteor or meteorite. He says the meteorite cases are fairly common, but this brightness is rare.
- Is it a meteorite strikes the course down the hill somewhere and can cause an explosion. The size is usually a few kilograms or less.
- It will be exciting to search for the answer to what people saw.

- Aftonbladet ( Swedish Newspaper Directly translated to The EveningPage)

[edit on 18-1-2009 by Akezzon]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   

It was a comet guaranteed. I've seen one just like that except it hit out in the ocean.

I think you mean a meteor.

If a comet hit the ocean, any ocean, the whole planet would know about it and it wouldn't be pretty.

[edit on 1/18/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

hehehe i was thinking that also .. a coment hitting us wouldnt be good in the slightest.. this though....

one word.

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

I absolutely love it when amazing meteors get captured on cam
That ones an absolute peach, probably the ive seen!

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by merka

Actually according to the article, its a 10 times a year event

The astronomer they asked says it was probably a meteor/meteorite.

A little bit of confusion here!

Revolution is right. What he/she is referring to is the chance than any one person will see a fireball this big in their lifetime. For most people, seeing something like this would be a once in a life time event.

However, merka is also right. A very big meteor like this can be expected in a particular area much more often than any individual person could be expected to catch an event like this.

Big meteors like this are actually fairly common, but in the majority of cases they are not seen because they occur either in daylight, or over unpopulated areas/sea, or are simply not seen because people are not looking at the right time.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
here is a link to the news in english. It is a swedish news site in english

Mystical Meteor Lights Up Swedish Sky

nothing new in the news piece than what has already been stated but its a nice link/site to have if you want to keep up with what is going on in Sweden but cant read swedish well

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
It was believed to be fragments/parts from the Kupiter Belt, until 2 military helicopters equipt with radiation-mesurment devices started to scan the costal area from Malmoe up to Gothenburg 55 minutes after "touch-down" and was present for 3,5 hours. No explanation has been done from the authorities in this matter at all. There are some roumors orginating from SSC that an older American spy-sat that encountered problems erlier could be the source, as the projectory of this spy-sat looks much more certain, than parts of the Kupiter Belt.

The same source beleives the truoble started approx 4 weeks ago since the American flight changed is projetory orbit 48 hours prior to the Gaza-manouver by the Israel army, reason unknown as the Israel gov already has their own fleet. Due to the fact that radiation-teams was scrambled it is beleived here that object could be a KH-class spy-sat that uses isotope Pu-238 as power onboard. Neverthenless wahther it plunged int the Atlantic ocean between Skagen/Denmark and Kungaelv/Sweden.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Here is a (bad but understandable) google translation from danish to english.

It basically explains that the reported meteor possibly ended up in the ocean near Denmark and Sweden.

[edit on 18-1-2009 by Krollspell]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
It was believed to be fragments/parts from the Kupiter Belt, until 2 military helicopters equipt with radiation-mesurment devices started to scan the costal area from Malmoe up to Gothenburg 55 minutes after "touch-down" and was present for 3,5 hours. No explanation has been done from the authorities in this matter at all. There are some roumors orginating from SSC that an older American spy-sat that encountered problems erlier could be the source, as the projectory of this spy-sat looks much more certain, than parts of the Kupiter Belt.

Got any links to a source for this info?

This looks just like another small (5-10m) asteroid to me. It appears to be too fast to be a re-entry of any kind, and shows none of the other characteristics you'd expect to see in a re-entry, like many pieces breaking away from it.

This seems to be another case where the object exploded (hence the bright flash), and re-entries are unlikely to do this.

Put it this way, I'd bet my bottom dollar that this was not junk!

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I found the video on you tube (as I could not get the OP's link to work )and it does look very much like a meteor.Very impressive none the less.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Worth to add, though, is that one of the commentators beneath the article stated, that there was THREE blue lights circeling over Gothenburg, Sweden, yesterday, for about 15-20 minutes.

[edit on 18-1-2009 by Nightchild]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
It looks almost identical to the meteor that came down over Saskatchewan about a month ago.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Great video, looks almost like that camera was meant to be pointing right there!

Looks like a meteor, although if it was re-entry of a man made object the shot would be to close to the ground to identify any break up.

Also if it was an unintentional re-entry of a man made object the report will certainly be that nothing was ever found and it must have been a meteorite, as the powers that be would not want the population wondering if a satellite is going to drop on their head any time soon.

Regards S_G

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
How do we know these meteors aren't Alien UFOs that timed their braking manouveurs badly and burn up in our atmosphere or crash to earth?

Got their trajectory from their home comet wrong.

Is a meteor shower merely a "fly-by" en-route to another destination?

These showers can happen annualy as the earth passes through certain areas of our solar system, is this where the universal flightpaths are?

Big or small, who's to say all aliens are human sized?

Crazy eh!

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
This blue light must have been seen yesterday evening over northern germany too. Unfortunally I did'nt see it myself. I've only heard it in the news here today. They say there was a light flash in the sky and then a blue-green light. They say in the news, it was probably a meteorit.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join