It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big blue light over sweden

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by xSMOKING_GUNx
Looks like a meteor, although if it was re-entry of a man made object the shot would be to close to the ground to identify any break up.

Why? What has the camera angle got to do with anything? As long as sky is visible, objects can be seen at any height in the atmosphere, or even outside it! Does the sun disappear *before* it sets on the horizon?

Originally posted by Kimba
This blue light must have been seen yesterday evening over northern germany too. Unfortunally I did'nt see it myself. I've only heard it in the news here today. They say there was a light flash in the sky and then a blue-green light. They say in the news, it was probably a meteorit.

Yes - it has been reported as far away as Poland. Meteors occur much higher in the atmosphere than most people realise, so they can be seen for many hundreds of miles around.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Right now they talked about it on the radio again. It's supposed that the meteorite did fall into the Baltic Sea.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   

A mystical light phenomenon was observed over southern and western Sweden on Saturday evening. Experts believe that a bolid - a burning meteorite - could provide the explanation.

A further theory is that the flash of light was caused by a fragment of a satellite.

www.thelocal.se...

There are theories, but it seems the fact of the matter is that no one is for sure just what it was.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways

There are theories, but it seems the fact of the matter is that no one is for sure just what it was.

No, the fact of the matter is that, as usual no one bothers to ask an expert... and if you ask any expert worth his/her salt, they will tell you that was a meteor.

You can even see for yourself what the experts are saying, and no one has even suggested it could be anything else but.

As I stated above, this was too fast to be anything but a meteor, and if you compare it with previous footage of satellites and junk re-entries, the difference is obvious:

Links:
Russian Rocket Looks Like Meteor Shower

Space junk blazes through Western skies

Fireball over Colorado

Here's another example:

And another:

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
No offense, but I think there are few true experts.

Experts often tend to stick to the last time they were right. Doesn't mean they are an expert all the time.

Situations change, technology changes, life as we know it changes.

I like to think there can be additional information built upon the truth that the expert of yesterday found so as to allow expansion of thought and knowing.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   

No offense, but I think there are few true experts.

You are right, there are only a few... and you can usually find most of them by following the link I provided above. Check for yourself, and you will see - I'm not asking you or anyone to take my word for it.

Experts often tend to stick to the last time they were right. Doesn't mean they are an expert all the time.

No one said they were right all the time, and there is a good reason why they rely on past experience. Are you suggesting that experts should be ignored because they have more experience in a particular field than the rest of us? Because they were right the last time somehow makes the expert unreliable?

Situations change, technology changes, life as we know it changes.

What does that have do anything?

A meteor is a meteor. Time does not change that...

I like to think there can be additional information built upon the truth that the expert of yesterday found so as to allow expansion of thought and knowing.

Wait a minute, you just threw all the experts out of the window... now you want to "build on their knowledge"?

Sorry babe, you can't have it both ways!

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

Didn't throw them out the window, just sayin.................... To remain an expert one should stay abreast of new developments!

It probably was a comet, but no one knows for sure.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Didn't throw them out the window, just sayin.................... To remain an expert one should stay abreast of new developments!

Fair point, but who says they don't remain '"abreast of new developments"?

If your impression of people who study meteors is of grumpy old farts with beards and glasses, who are stuck in their ways... believe me, that is not the case!

It probably was a comet, but no one knows for sure.

It certainly was not a comet, or we'd all know about it (as Phage pointed out earlier on). It could have been a small piece of a comet but I doubt it.

This one has similar hallmarks to recent events which have been attributed to small bodies that originated in the asteroid belt. These type of events usually happen in the early evening hours, where as the cometary material tends to hit us in the early morning hours. If you've been following the thread about the large meteor that exploded over Canada last November, you'd know that there have been events like this occurring with almost regular frequency over the weeks since then, and the pattern is the same - always in the evening hours.

The MIAC have some examples of these orbits here.

Of course, it could be something else, and all the experts have missed some vital clue... but it's unlikely, and unless anyone has any evidence to the contrary, this will probably go down as a meteor since this is the phenomena it closest resembles.

So, does anyone have a good reason why this might not be a meteor? If so, don't be shy!

PS. interestedalways - No offense taken.

[edit on 18-1-2009 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
FYI someone posted about this video in this Space Exploration thread as well: Meteor caught on video

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by tarpon68

thats what i thought!!!

I mean cmon guys 2 big Blue metors in the space of one month??

war of the worlds anyone? hahaha

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by theresult
reply to post by tarpon68

thats what i thought!!!

Of course it looks much like the meteor recorded over Canada almost 2 months ago now - meteors share similar characteristics, unsurprisingly!

So what if there were two meteors in almost 2 months... in fact there have been many more since then (as I said before). This one for instance.

For the 7,8467,528507 billionth time: Our earth is constantly bombarded with space rocks and some of them are fairly large. Most are never seen, and in the rare cases where many people see them and the event is recorded, the media picks up on it, and *you* get to hear about it.

This has been going on for years... it's something that never stops... but along comes someone who is new to meteors and says "wow this is not how things usually are" when in fact, it's the way it always has been.

Some of you reading this need to spend some time out there looking up (and reading up!) before you jump to conclusions about how often things like this actually occur!

You don't have to believe anybody. Just look for yourself and do your own digging into the subject. I've already posted links to some resources above, but you'll find more in this thread: Seen a swift moving light in the sky?

[edit on 18-1-2009 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by theresult

There have been a lot of very bright meteors (fireballs) reported in North America in January (nothing too special about it in comparison to any other month) and a good number of them have been blue. Green has been very popular.
www.amsmeteors.org...

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:13 AM
link   
"Also there is a lot of reports of meteors being seen around the world. Just yesterday in Sweden and here in Alberta last week and a just a month before that. And in Seattle a week after that."
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by foremanator

There has also been one witnessed by millions in Saudi Arabia. Link has full story with pics www.--.com... and video of object.www.4shared.com...

Astonishing events are occuring around the world and not as much as a word about them is being written or said in the West. In Saudi Arabia last week a remarkable sighting of what might well have be a UFO, possibly crashing into earth, has been witnessed by no less than millions of individuals in the vicinity. Multiple photos and videos of the object have come to light.
Arabic language forums are abuzz with Saudi citizens claiming to have witnessed what is even being described by some in the normally conservative Saudi Arabian press as a possible UFO either crashing to earth or simply executing manoeuvres designed to scare humans. Others are claiming the object was an Asteroid or a Satellite. Witnesses are reported to be waiting for an explanation from local meteorological bureau’s but have received no answers yet.
ON Wednesday 7th of January after evening prayers a large noise was heard in sky followed by the sighting of an intense large light heading from the west above the Al-Qasim region east of Saudi Arabia’s capital city Riyadh. Many locals had seen meteors prior to this but claimed this one did not fit the typical description at all: it was a blue green colour and was shooting out green lasers.
One witness Khalid commented ‘No one has ever seen anything like it’

[edit on 19-1-2009 by tarifa37]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

Here is the video of the Saudi Object.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   

I have a problem with this "Saudi Arabian" fireball!

Screen shot from a fireball recorded in 2006 over Australia:

Screen shot from "Saudi Arabian" fireball:

Notice any similarity?
You should - it's the same fireball!

Compare the first clip in this vid:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

Wow good find.whats it all about then why have they posted that video with the saudi story?

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   

I'm not sure why they would want to do that either. My best guess would be religious extremist propaganda - perhaps they want people to think that they are "the chosen" since they had this "miraculous event".

I've seen news reports before that have seemingly mistakenly included misleading footage of another event, but this seems like purposeful deceit to me. For what it's worth, I've not heard of any reports of big fireballs over Saudi recently. I'm pretty sure this is a fake report (if the video was also from the source of the report, which it now turns out it was not).

[edit on 19-1-2009 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by theresult
thats what i thought!!!

war of the worlds anyone? hahaha

The reason why we are seeing more meteor videos lately may not be that there ARE more meteors lately, but rather due to the fact that there are many more webcams and security cameras than ever before.

If it wasn't for the web cams, many meteors would go unfilmed.

[edit on 1/19/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Very odd, to say the least.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join