It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do we live in a Simulated Reality?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Teratoma
reply to post by DarkSecret

I more or less agree with most of what you're saying but what you must consider is that as society grows in population, room for it is running out. That's something about these times that wasn't part of the equation 4000 years ago. I am of the belief however, that the planet has the resources to sustain a much bigger population that this one. But will this particular society be able to overcome its animalistic sense of greed, or will it fall like Rome? Or do worse and destroy the symbiotic relationship we have with our environment?

I'm not an enviromentalist, or a doomsdayer either, but my scope of vision allows for the possibility that the pressures this society puts on itself could eventually cause it to pop.

society has always faced big problems. wars, failed crops, "overpopulation".... in ancient times agriculture was not as efficient as today's using (oil based) fertilizers. so for them the end of the world would be when crops failed and people had outbreaks of epidemic disease.

as we grow we find new ways to use our resources. if you look around, most couples in the western world have 2 kids at most. this is due to the wealth and access to technology, medicine, food that most westerners have. so there is no need for the woman to be pregnant all her adult lifetime, she knows her 2 kids are very likely to survive as opposed to an african or asian who knows most of her kids will die. and so the western women have time for a career, contributing to society and helping out with general progress. of course some would say this is slavery but i wouldn't want to go into that conversation.

all in all, as technology and education will advance into africa/asia we will see population drop over there too. so there is enough food and earth for every human that will ever live. no reason to panic, no reason to assume we are any worse off now than we were 4000 years ago. no doomsday, 2012, galactic "alignment", etc. of course we're still vulnerable to asteroids, yellowstone, quakes, magnetic pole shift or solar cycles but why worry about those - we'll all be dead if/when they happen!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
"- we'll all be dead if/when they happen! "

I would say don't worry about it because if it happens it happens and there isn't much anyone can do about it.
Tricky thing with "mega disasters" is you can't be sure when OR if they will happen.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by sc2099
I have much more reading to do in this thread, but I just wanted to mention that I had the honor of being a student of the professor Tipler you mentioned in your OP and taken a class on his 'omega point theory.'

Interested to find out more about this...not from a website, but from your perspective.

Thanks

[edit on 22-1-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
If you die or screw up, there is no "reload last checkpoint".

So figure it out!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by John Matrix

"If you die or screw up, there is no "reload last checkpoint". "

I don't see it that way. IF this reality is a simulation, there is A LOT that can be done. Time Travel would just be one of the MANY possibilities. Things about computer programs is you can always move back to an earlier point in the program. Just takes the right command prompts.

Traveling vast distances via a bridge you create in the program would be another. We would call it a wormhole. (I was looking for the thread where just recently Internos posted a pic entitled 'wormhole' for dramatic effect here, but I can't find it)...

Anyhow, as I've said before, I understand the logic behind all of this pretty well, I think. And I'm starting to really believe it may be true.

[edit on 22-1-2009 by Jay-in-AR]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I suppose I agree there is something strange about reality,like the deja vu effect where you know something happened like its already happened and according to einstein time has already happened and we are just along for the ride,theres also that other science that tells us of multi dimensions of reality so maybe there are multi universe versions of our everyday reality that would make sense of a matrix type reality ,but the existence we live in,is being just as real as the rest and can`t be changed like an equation that has to be worked out in each universes field of reality,infact maybe thats how we are conscious and intelligient because of these multi dimensional universe realities and decisions we make are not made so much of our conscious ,but because we only can live one version at a time and can only live that one version so our subconscious tells us what we can and can`t do in this reality and that forms part of our personality,thats why everybody has a different opinion ,religion,belief Etc..,of things because its chaotic and random experience to each person ,Thats why the world is weird so you could say there is a matrix at least thats the way I see it,its a bit deep but thats what I percieve in this reality?

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   

No we live in Reality reality.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Has anyone ever pondered the idea that by moving into virtual reality in some future, we will be moving even deeper into entanglement...a virtual reality within a virtual reality within a virtual reality?

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Has anyone ever pondered the idea that by moving into virtual reality in some future, we will be moving even deeper into entanglement...a virtual reality within a virtual reality within a virtual reality?

Yes i did, there was an article on rense i believe some months ago stating exactly that.
I have to digg and see if i can find it again.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Here is an article i found that is somewhat simular to the one i mentioned.

Therefore, if both (1) and (2) are false, there will be an astronomically huge number of simulated minds like ours. If we work out the numbers, we find that there would be vastly many more such simulated minds than there would be non-simulated minds running on organic brains. In other words, almost all minds like yours, having the kinds of experiences that you have, would be simulated rather than biological. Therefore, by a very weak principle of indifference, you would have to think that you are probably one of these simulated minds rather than one of the exceptional ones that are running on biological neurons.
www.simulation-argument.com...

I might digg up some more if i find some time.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Yeah, i have, scary thought that, Virtual infinity.

I found the following theory in the link below. Its an odd thought provoking one, that i still can't get my head round. What do you think?

All people, objects and even energy itself are expressions of the same divinity that so many religions, cultures and philosophies have tried to claim exclusively as their own.

The Carbon atom, by containing within it these universal symbols, demonstrates that matter is a manifestation of the same Divine consciousness experienced by the saints and sages of all history. Matter is innately spiritual.

The Universe does not exist separately from the Universal Consciousness; it is a direct expression of it.

source
www.sol.com.au...

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Some quotes on the matter:

"Given that external reality is a fiction, the writer's role is almost superfluous. He does not need to invent the fiction because it is already there." - J. G. Ballard

"There are intangible realities which float near us, formless and without words; realities which no one has thought out, and which are excluded for lack of interpreters." - Natalie Clifford Barney

"The very definition of the real becomes: that of which it is possible to give an equivalent reproduction. The real is not only what can be reproduced, but that which is always already reproduced. The hyper real." - Jean Baudrillard

"One might speak to great length of the three corners of reality what was seen, what was thought to be seen, and what was thought ought to be seen." - Marvel Bell

"Fear not what is not real, never was and never will be. What is real, always was and cannot be destroyed." - Bhagavad Gita

"The reality of life is that your perceptions -- right or wrong -- influence everything else you do. When you get a proper perspective of your perceptions, you may be surprised how many other things fall into place." - Roger Birkman

What I wonder-

If reality is simulated, then it must beg the question(s)- who or what has created our "world" for us? And how would we know?

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by _R4t_
Am i the only one that times to times wake up in the morning and from the moment I open my eyes, I feel like everything's strange like this place im in as suddently become so unfamiliar... everything's so unreal. I get up and get dressed and got to work and for the whole day everything's so strange people's behaviors and everything is so unreal. Even tho everything looks the same it doesnt feel right. I walk around and it feels like everything's in slow motion around like if im out of sync with the rest of the world somehow... Like I dont belong but im still there somehow someways.. as if im stuck between 2 world or something...

If you are serious, your symptoms sound like you could be developing "Depersonalization Disorder" which is 1 of 4 types of Dissociative Disorders, as described by the DSM-IV. I'm not a doctor, so don't freak out, but you might want to read up on that. If what you find out matches your developing experiences of feeling things are "unreal", then you should probably see a doctor.

You'll find out that if you only feel this every great once-in-a-while then that's normal. But if the experience is on-going and persistent then it's not normal.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
A lot of smart people in this tread write from their homes.

In case this is all virtual - Explain practical application to live in virtual world 24h?

Explain AOL in remote viewing

And what if this is not simulation as you think?

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
speaking of realities..here is something that happened to me..from 1987 to 1994 i had many experiences with extraterrestrial visitations and ufo sightings..but i want to zero in on a specific incident...I WAS SUPPOSE TO PICK UP SOME EXRAYS AT THE HOSPITAL FOR MY STEPDAD ..DURING THE DAY I WAS SO BUSY THINKING OF WHAT I HAD TO DO ALL DAY THAT I WAS NOT AWARE OF WHAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN..WHEN I STEPPPED UP TO THE HOSPITAL DOOR I PLACED MY HAND ON THE DOORKNOB AND I WALKED RIGHT THROUGH THE DOOR..IT WASNT TILL I SORT OF SNAPPED OUT OF IT THAT I REALIZED I ACTUALLY WALKED THROUGH A SOLID DOOR..AND NO IM NOT CRAZY..IT TRULY HAPPENED..ONCE ON THE OTHER SIDE I SORT OF SHRUGGED IT OFF AND WENT IN TO GET THE XRAYS ..WHEN I CAME BACK TO THE DOOR I WAS ALMOST AFFRAID TO PLACE MY HAND ON THE DOORKNOB BUT NOTHING HAPPENED ON THE WAY OUT..CAN SOME ONE TELL ME WHAT JUST HAPPENED..

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Have any of you ever experienced mental projection? The central "I" or ego becomes formless but is 'perceived' as a self-aware center of sentience, and recognized as "I am me" or "ego self."

This is similar to what we all do here on computers with forums: we inter-relate in an e-space world or realm.

The mental aspect described above is a normal experience in what many term or refer to as "hyperspace." It is real, rest assured. The difference is, as a mental projection awareness in 'hyperspace', one can not only be a non-form (disembodied, formless, etc.) awareness, but unlike the relationship on forums where we 'know' someone exists some other place, we can feel presence and substance of this hyperspace realm directly.

This is part of the nature of the simulated reality of maya, or illusion, or 'reality' as most commonly perceive it. It's just beyond the threshold of everyday awareness, for most.

We can all 'feel' things about one another when on these forums, but only a few seem to be aware of this.

[edit on 24-1-2009 by SS,Naga]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I watched a program a few nights ago that explores the theory's of cosmology and whether or not there is an intelligent design. The program starts with the common idea's that there is a god, in the religious sense, and, that our existence is just the product of physics and nature. They build upon the two ideas with different arguments and eventually come to the theory that we are living in a 'virtual reality' and are the creation of an extremely advanced being, with technology and motives inconceivable to us.

I won't and can't go into much more detail, because I have a hard time getting my thoughts out in text, but I can honestly say this video has changed my perspective on what reality might be. When I was a young child, I remember being suspicious that I was the only real person and everyone else was just a part of my imagination
but know I'm more likely to believe that I am also as unreal as everyone else.

Anyways, here's the link. Sorry if someone has already brought this to the thread.

What We Still Don't Know: "Are We Real?"

To anyone who finds the theory that we live in a virtual reality completely absurd, I recommend watching this in it's entirety with as much attention you can muster.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   

About the thought of virtual reality inside of virtual reality...

That is kinda' what I was getting at earlier when I gave the analogy of a cell dividing. Not only is the reality limitless in size "horizontally" (a better term fails me at the moment) but it doubles each time we advance to the point of creating one ourselves...

360 degrees of infinity!

Amazingly complex. God like.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I agree with the thought that no´one really knows their origins. It kind of seems that way to me.. I was thinking the other day how some people really think they can figure each other out, I mean like being judgemental and asuming a person is a certain way without anymore depth to the observation. And I thought, how can people try and judge others if they don´t even know theirself? How can we say we have someone figured out when we learn new things about who we are every day, (especially for those who meditate and know the transformation / realisation that can result from it).

As I learn to listen to my subconscious more and pick apart the little messages, synchronicities and take note of personal manifestations, its like I´m being tested and I feel like I´m in this little training zone, this little simulated school, but it doesn´t bother me. In fact I enjoy it and think it´s possible we learn a lot more from it. Remove the knowledge and it adds refinement. I often think why a person like me wasn´t born very psychicly open and that I had to gradually become aware of it. I think.. the very thing I do is give people my opinion on developing such things. It gives me a good fresh perspective if I can see different angles of things. Like if I was born with the knowledge to do something, I probably wouldn´t be as good at teaching it. But if I learned how to do it over time, it allows me to pick apart the little processes and explain it better.

Refinement is how I´d explain it all.. its like we´re given all the knowledge and we incarnate to sort it out because it´s like jumbled and fractured, or needs to be elaborated on.

I feel i´m gathering data. I was just saying the other day on the discussion of ego and sense of individual self, that I find it interesting that the strongest desire of my individual self is to benefit the collective. And that by doing so gives me a stronger sense of purpose, of ALIVEness.

Add in stuff like astrology and numerology and it pretty much seems like I´m following and contributing to a code. Its a matrix of sentience to me, pure intelligence that you can try and define logically but it gets infinitely complicated, like trying to find the end all finite digit of pi.

I get into these moments of meditation where I just stop and just feel, just sense and come to terms with the fact that I have sentience. From my personal perspective of the things I´ve observed, I feel I flow with an ocean of code, and this does not make me feel any less unique or insignifigant. I feel huge, and I feel purpose.

Recently I partook in a little ceremony in the jungle which ATS rules prevent me from discussing in detail, but I had a vivid message from the experience... I felt I could see a matrix of colour and possibility surrounding me and clear as day I just thought... its where the focus is.. life.. its all an illusion and its just expanding on one point of this infinite colour web of possiblity.. its all just where the focus is. And I found it interesting that my quality or who I am was defined as a degree / type of focus, and this is what I am, and why I am here in this illusion right now, the focus code that is me is here.

Simulated reality indeed. At least to me. But I don´t think its any less insignifigant. It is beautiful. Thats the other message I got.. its all just an expression of beauty, plain and simple. Thats how I feel anyway.

Another good and much called for thread.

Star and a flag from me as well, sky.

*Edit for spelling and such*

[edit on 24-1-2009 by CavemanDD]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
*EDIT FOR DOUBLE POST PLEASE REMOVE*

[edit on 24-1-2009 by CavemanDD]

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join