It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do we live in a Simulated Reality?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Teratoma
Very true. What we're really doing here is discussing the nature of reality (or vice-versa). It occurred to me not terribly long ago while reading Undo's thread that the creator of mankind and the creator of the universe were probably not the same people. I've always found it odd that many religions describe god(s) as having petty, human-like qualities. That has always made me feel that there is something not quite so "natural" about our existence. Then I wonder if this whole thing isn't something designed by men.

I dont see the Supreme Being or Ultimate Source to be the direct creator of mankind or earth either. Much less what religions refer to as "Gods" which are lesser beings than the original architect.

[edit on 21-1-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-in-AR

Embedded patterns. Since things are all interrelated through the program, you are noticing the pattern through others.
This is why that damned web bot seems to work also.

Anyone else see where I'm coming from, or am I just crazy?
If I'm not alone in this rationale, I'm going to have to start REALLY QUESTIONING my conspiracy beliefs.

I think you're on to something.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSecret
it's all romantic and nice to think about us being in VR and assume we have afterlives. but the truth is... occam's razor: the simplest explanation is that we exist in the "natural" universe,

Do you know who you are? No? Me neither.

So there's nothing romantic or odd or anti-occamish about this. Its pretty much in-your-face.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by visible_villain
One of the things Shakyamuni told his followers back then was, 'if I told you what was really going on here you would all go insane.'

A glimpse of this stuff in Meditation. When all labels and meanings cease to be, what is left to see...

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by slimpickens93
Just want to add to the list of movies on this topic...

The Thirteenth Floor

I know there are others I have forgotten, but this one always stuck with me so I guess it was pretty good.

I just searched the thread to see if anyone else mentioned this. The 13th floor is the perfect example of this theory. For anyone even entertaining the possibility of this, they should do themselves a favor and check this movie out.

I have often wondered if we could be in a simulated reality. When I was a small child, I would entertain the notion that I was the only real person and everyone else was just a robot to help flesh out my life. I am now "fairly certain" that other people are not robots... I still can't say with any conviction how real any of us are.

Books like "The Holographic Universe" and "Quantum Psychology" are both good at opening up your mind to the concept of what actually makes up this reality.

To Sky's question from the first page: To me the world looks like a science experiment (ant farm) when viewed from a plane. The people look very insignificant. It is the same as looking at the stars though and realizing just how small we all are. It really begs the question of "why are we here?" Why do we torture ourselves and others over ideas and resource struggles on such a microscopic scale?

Would I live my life any different if it were a simulated reality? Well, I would like to say no... but I think that is a lie. Whenever I have a lucid dream, I get to live out that question. Everytime I find out that the reality that I am looking at is infact a simulation or a dream, I proceed to immediately break the rules of our everyday reality. Whether that is by flying, walking through walls, or things of a more "personal
" nature. I never just observe and carry on as usual. So, I am sure I would change my behavior if given the opportunity.

This is a good thought exercise.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Then invent/create an answer

Huh, that's a though one. I've been thinking about what to reply with ever since you put this forward and have only very recently come up with my little "cogito ergo sum" spin-off. "There is, therefor why the hell not"

I am enjoying this thread immensely, thanks gain.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I remember in the early 80's. I had been up for about 4 days,without eating, just juices and vitamins. I was doing Speed, sorry mods. I went for a walk at night and saw 2 friends of mine. Imagine my shock when I stopped to talk with them and they walked right through me. They looked solid as this keyboard. I got clean soon afterward haha.

It made me wonder since it was late at night my buddies may have visited me in they're dream? The atoms of they're soul could have got together and just showed up. Or it was just me trippin?

The so called "mind" may not interpet reality, it may create it. I may be creating everything around me, my home, my city, my state, my universe. Sounds awful selfish, heh?

Just a thought, like, wow.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by kindred
Scientists don't really know how powerful Quantum computers can be, but one thing they do know is that they would make todays computers look pedestrian by comparison. We are talking about a computer that will be trillions of times faster and can carry out billions of calculations simultaneously in different dimensions. I personally think that's enough power to create & simulate a reality like ours.

As for hacking this reality with a conventional micro computer. That's just not possible. Todays computers aren't powerful enough to hack a Quantum computer. Quantum computers will give us the power to develop a code that would be impossible to crack even with worlds fastest conventional super computer.

funny i never thought of using a machine to hack the universe/reality. i was thinking of using the human brain to hack it.

in the early days before the internet viruses were tiny programs that would exploit the weakness of the OS (like overflow buffers) or the hardware itself (writing to bios). technically we could use our brains to infiltrate the "system" and create a "virus" which would allow us to "exploit" a "backdoor" and do things with the "universe" to alter whatever we want to.

there are lots of bad people with money around the world who would have funded this stuff. any computer program is hackable no matter how smart it is and our universe is far from perfection. of course it never worked because nobody has done it and it only demonstrates that we are not inside of a computer.

and i know it never worked because once a human being owned such a powerful tool they would not stop at just getting lots of money or power or the girl they wanted. they would never stop and would want to eventually show it off to the rest of the world. in other words, i don't believe in the generous super-hero who uses the superpowers for good only in a world where so many innocent children are starting to death.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Could our entire reality be simulated... ?

No one could make up something this bizarre. We've done this all by ourselves.

And you helped!

jw

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by tommyb98201
I remember in the early 80's. I had been up for about 4 days,without eating, just juices and vitamins. I was doing Speed, sorry mods. I went for a walk at night and saw 2 friends of mine. Imagine my shock when I stopped to talk with them and they walked right through me. They looked solid as this keyboard. I got clean soon afterward haha.

The so called "mind" may not interpet reality, it may create it. I may be creating everything around me, my home, my city, my state, my universe. Sounds awful selfish, heh?

it's the drugs that warped your reality and yours only. of course it feels like a very unique experience that's why dealers make so much money off drugs! the fact is that reality is the same for most humans and that's how we can agree on the color red or the shape of a cube. that's how it's possible to communicate, have a society, have movies. if reality were created by everyone's mind independently then there would most likely be no common ground and the planet would be full of crazy human-animals banging their heads and eventually dieing out as a species.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I have much more reading to do in this thread, but I just wanted to mention that I had the honor of being a student of the professor Tipler you mentioned in your OP and taken a class on his 'omega point theory.'

Honestly, it's so interesting and complex that it deserves its own thread. Unfortunately I'm barely smart enough to half understand it and definitely not smart enough to explain it. Maybe someone out there can help us out?

good thread

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSecret
there would most likely be no common ground and the planet would be full of crazy human-animals banging their heads and eventually dieing out as a species.

Hmm. Irony, anyone?

Did it really escape you as you typed it?

Not that you don't make a valid point. It's certainly not like we're "dying out" but the thought of a looming global war or some kind of apocalypse is definitely on a lot of people's minds.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Hmm. Irony, anyone?

Did it really escape you as you typed it?

Not that you don't make a valid point. It's certainly not like we're "dying out" but the thought of a looming global war or some kind of apocalypse is definitely on a lot of people's minds.

there was never a day of global peace in the entire history of humanity. why do you think we are worse off now? yes we have better weapons and we are able to destroy most lifeforms currently in existence. so what? that does not prove that anyone has been meddling with reality in any way! besides, 99% of all lifeforms (as in species) ever to exist are now extinct mostly by natural means. maybe the next go-around after we're gone will be for giant intelligent squid or mega worms

the "apocalypse" (as in end of the world) has been definitely on a lot of people's minds in the past 4000+ years... the guy who wrote the apocalypse/revelations chapter in the bible was convinced it would happen in his lifetime! all these rapture clowns (pat robertson doing it every week) preaching the end is near... repent and send some more checks to our "get into heaven quick" fund.

IMO the fact that everything is going on just as badly as before is definitive proof that nobody has hacked reality. and it's not because nobody has tried. it's because you can't do it - we are not inside a computer!

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
This is an incredible thought, and I certainly agree with it. This is a simulated reality.

I do believe…

… that the consequences of our behavior and choices are far more powerful than most are aware of.

…this is a test.

Have you ever seen the movie “Coming to America” with Eddie Murphy? He wanted to find a wife who was more interested in him than his title, power, or wealth. If he came to America advertising those things, he would have a difficult time finding true love.

Same with God. If you could remember… if amnesia were removed, it would be impossible to resist His awesome Love.

In this reality, however, most are showing signs of their true desires, and it isn’t for Him.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Why does nobody know where they are from?

A "dead giveaway" that we may very well be in a simulated reality is the fact that nobody actually knows where they are from or who they were before birth.

Amnesia.

Whats even funnier is that everyone walks around acting as if they knew who they are.

Its easy to see how we`d be unable to accept this reality (or game?) as "real" if we would not have this amnesia of "what was before". Likewise, nobody wants to watch a movie while constantly being reminded that "its only a movie" or constantly being distracted by what goes on in the theater room itself rather than the screen.

This part doesn't make much sense. I could say that you don't have any memories prior to your birth becuase you didn't exist and therefore could not record or retain any memories. That's like wondering why a computer doesn't have any data on its hard drive prior to it being built.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkSecret

I more or less agree with most of what you're saying but what you must consider is that as society grows in population, room for it is running out. That's something about these times that wasn't part of the equation 4000 years ago. I am of the belief however, that the planet has the resources to sustain a much bigger population that this one. But will this particular society be able to overcome its animalistic sense of greed, or will it fall like Rome? Or do worse and destroy the symbiotic relationship we have with our environment?

I'm not an enviromentalist, or a doomsdayer either, but my scope of vision allows for the possibility that the pressures this society puts on itself could eventually cause it to pop.

I know the world of sci-fi is not a reliable source for "fact", but the concept of humanity eventually "using up" the resources of this planet and eventually having to leave it exists because it's an obvious eventuality considering the rate we multiply and consume as a species.

I'm not saying any of this "proves we're in a computer game". I think most people here are using terms like this to describe their notions about the nature of the universe. These are mostly dependent on a belief in something resembling "creationism" (however alternative), so we probably just disagree on a more fundamental level.

[edit on 1/21/2009 by Teratoma]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   

John of Patmos, the man who wrote the book of Revelation, certainly did NOT believe that the end would come before he passed.
This is why he utters the words "Change not a word of this or you shall be cast down," in other words. And remember, he was in exile. He knew his days were numbered. He wrote Revelation as a warning to people after him.

I think you are confusing your antibiblical arguments.

[edit on 21-1-2009 by Jay-in-AR]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   

I think most people here are using terms like this to describe their notions about the nature of the universe.

To clarify this a little, we're trying to figure out why it is that we exist in this world - and if indeed it was "created" then why, and for what purpose?

I think this place is just as "real" as you do, but I also think that, just as we are a physically tiny spec in a large universe, our perception of "real" is only a tiny fraction of "reality".

[edit for clarity]

[edit on 1/21/2009 by Teratoma]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
No and yes. I think the physical world is very much real in the terms of existence. Our bodies are machines some might say temples. I prefer machines made up of highly sophisticated components and materials. Who's to say we are not downloading our information or processing it whilst in our sleep. I do think there is a certain part of our brains that connects us to our spiritual selves. Where thats takes us who knows. To be honest until quite recently i kind of doubted the spiritual part. When i say spiritual - i dont mean it in a religious way but part of a wholeness with the universe. Microscosm and Macrocosm. I think thats got alot to do with it, like your sleep or meditative state could be your connection to the Macrocosm and the Universe be the Microcosm - or vice versa.

I touched on my reasons for thinking this in post i made earlier in another thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I am starting to learn about chakras, and i do believe they exist. Whilst you need to look after your body on a physical level, i think it doesn'y hurt to keep the chakra's in good condition.

[edit on 21-1-2009 by MCoG1980]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I contradict myself like this all the time! But I suppose it's just as likely that anyone on this thread could be a complete atheist, with firm beliefs in mainstream science and evolution. One who sees the possibility of the technology existing someday. Then, by nature of the theory itself, realizes that it could have already happened.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join