It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man refuses to drive 'No God' bus

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I work for a large internet-based company. Recently we had advertising on the site for Huntingdon Life Sciences, who experiment on animals. I'm very much against animal testing.

Do i have the right to walk out and refuse to do my job because of this?

And to Enigma Publius, the poster above who said "I mean you have to remember: this man's RELIGION, his "Holy word of God" tells him that if he denies God on Earth, then he will be denied his God in Heaven."

Sorry, but how is this HIM denying God???? I would've thought maybe his faith was a bit stronger than that? If it's not, and he truely thinks him driving a bus with this slogan somehow means that HE no longer believes in God, then perhaps he should be changing (or dumping) religion all together?

The truth is, Christians have a right to put their message across. So therefore athiests also have a right to put their message across. I've been walking past churches all my life with slogans like 'Jesus dies for your sins', 'Only the church can save you' and my favourite 'What if Jesus was right?'. The other side of the story exists, so what's the problem with slogans showing the other side? I always though one that said 'What if Jesus was wrong?' would be pretty funny and get a few people riled up.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
reply to post by the siren

I agree. I have no issue with anyone of any religion who refuses to work in a situation such as this. I can understand why he would not want to be associated with that message, as it could potentially be seen as his endorsement of it if he did. I know that I wouldn't drive that bus, either.

If I were the guy, I'd just quit. I can't really blame the bus company if they fire him, either, but they should have expected it to offend someone, because it is highly offensive to those with Christian beliefs. I'm sure they've probably lost business because of it as well.

By that measure surely all the 'God' adverts for evangelicals , and churches are offensive to Athiests and Pagans and Muslims.
And all the Muslim adverts are insulting and offensive to Athiests and Pagans and Christians.
And Athiest adverts are offensive to Pagans, Christians and Muslims.
No one really wins do they?
Why not ban all adverts off the buses incase someone gets 'offended' at least that way theres wouldn't be any problems.
I wouldn't mind it as most of the buses I've seen have all got adverts for films that came out last year.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   

they hate us

They do?

Get over yourself.

The man has every right to refuse to drive the bus. The bus company should have every right to refuse to employ him.

I fully support the advertising campaign. You know why?

Because there probably is no god.

[edit on 16-1-2009 by Merigold]

[edit on 16-1-2009 by Merigold]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
So if an african-american bus driver refused to drive a bus advertising the next great KKK leader, would there be a call for him to be fired?

No he would be a hero..........

God Bless this driver for standing up to the insane evil on his bus...

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Nammu

You do have the right to walk out if you are against animal testing. But you don't care about animals, you care about a pay check.

Tell a PETA employee your situation and I'll bet they'll make you feel really, really bad about who you are.

And you should if what you say about yourself is true.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Nammu

i would like to see a slogan like that actually. and there would be nothing wrong with putting it on a building that you own. What i'm trying to drive across is the idea that the man probably believes that he is pushing a heretical agenda against his GOD...in case you missed it... i said his GOD. to a believer i really can't imagine anything more taboo than that.
can you honestly say that you would be as bothered as this man if you were asked to drive a bus that said "merry christmas". Don't try to tell me that you would, because that's phoney. Don't ask the man to push an agenda that directly puts his immortal soul in jeopardy, because i'm willing to bet that is how he feels about it. We would not feel that strongly about driving a bus that said WWJD or whatever.
I personally have many many objections to the idea of Jesus Christ, and i don't necessarily think it's a healty way to think. But it's not putting my soul at risk or what have you.
THIS IS COMMON SENSE.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by machinegun_go_go
Precisely.

It seems as if it's one rule for Christians and one rule for everyone else.

Well, I think you need to take your blinders off pal. If you had any comprehension of what's going on lately, the last time I checked, Christians and Americans take a back seat to every other race,creed and religion in their own country and it seems to look this way in other countries as well.

I can tell your just a christian hater and that's cool, but get your facts straight. I believe in Christ but study in my own way and think all organised religions are just peole manipulating laws to their benefit. Same goes for races.

Here's a perfect example of a bus driver doing something just as bad.Muslim bus driver kicks off passengers to pray

Here's an ATS threadabout it if you're interested.

I'm curious, Do you have the same outlook on this guy and islam or is it just Christians. I agree that their should be no special treatment for any race or religion and we need to simplify our laws and base them on actions and crimes. Instead their manipulated by people in power to win favor.

I'm almost tempted to find god myself just to see how much intolerance I can get away with!

It's actually a good idea to find God. I wouldn't blame God so much as selfish, self centered and greedy humans for the problems in this world.They are the cause for all the controversy and destruction. We all have choices to make and unfortunately many make very bad ones.

I personally wouldn't have been offennded and would have drove, but since you're pointing fingers, I didn't see the driver running around with a banner stating he's Christian trying to offend people.

Seems like the advertising agency was the ignorant morons and the instigator of the whole situation. Just as people don't want to know about me and my faith, I'm sure nobody gave a rats ass about advetisers and their beliefs.

[edit on 16/1/2009 by Revealation]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   

This is outrageous. The man should should be fired or suspended. It is his job to drive the bus - not pass judgement on the advertisements it carries.

I can imagine what would happen if I turned up to work one day and refused to do my job based on what someone thought or said or wore!

Christians - literally - get away with murder just because of their religion.

Sickens me that nothing appears to has happened to this man.

Why can some people not even acknowledge alternate viewpoints?

Why on earth should his employers even consider going out of their way to pander to his notions of offending his imaginary friend?

Peace,

MGGG

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-1-2009 by machinegun_go_go]

No, its hardly outrageous. Whats outrageous is the advertisements and the propaganda being shoved at everyone by facist luciferean cartel. There is a God, in my opinion a lot better one that the Scriptures mention, not a blood thirstly war mongler, however years ago they put these questions into computers to assess probablilities. The computer found a Creator more probable. To actually be allowed to advertise this new "agenda" and force people to OBEY authority no matter how corrupt and evil it is, is pure fascism and must be stopped by all the people at all cost!

I would have used spray paint myself, if I was the driver.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I think that the man has his right to voice his opinion and uphold the conviction of his own belief. If he thinks it's wrong to drive a bus that goes against his personal beliefs, then he is free to do so.

But the company shouldn't have to cater to his very will. If he thinks it's wrong he can quit the job and find another bus company to drive for. He shouldn't have to be danced around just because he holds a different belief. I accept his viewpoint but he should accept other viewpoints as well.

If I refused to do ANYTHING at my job just because it went against my personal beliefs I would be fired. As I should be. He's not a "representative" of the advertisement.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
OMG what an outrage!!.. errrrrr.. yeeeeah right .. but it would be totally the same if a NON christian did the same with a GOD bus!

get real buddy! and clam down .. breath..

This is outrageous. The man should should be fired or suspended. It is his job to drive the bus - not pass judgement on the advertisements it carries.

I can imagine what would happen if I turned up to work one day and refused to do my job based on what someone thought or said or wore!

Sickens me that nothing appears to has happened to this man.

Why can some people not even acknowledge alternate viewpoints?

Why on earth should his employers even consider going out of their way to pander to his notions of offending his imaginary friend?

Peace,

MGGG

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by DataWraith
By that measure surely all the 'God' adverts for evangelicals , and churches are offensive to Athiests and Pagans and Muslims.
And all the Muslim adverts are insulting and offensive to Athiests and Pagans and Christians.
And Athiest adverts are offensive to Pagans, Christians and Muslims.
No one really wins do they?
Why not ban all adverts off the buses incase someone gets 'offended' at least that way theres wouldn't be any problems.
I wouldn't mind it as most of the buses I've seen have all got adverts for films that came out last year.

I didn't say ban all religious or moral advertising. I only said it shouldn't be displayed where someone who doesn't believe it could be seen as a representative. I believe the bus driver should have a say as he is seen as a representative because the message is basically a bumper sticker on his vehicle.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   

It's not his vehicle, it's the vehicle of the company he works for and he has no power over the advertisements on the bus he happens to be driving. If a Non-Christian person were to complain about a similar event they would be marked as a bad or immoral person. It's happened in my home town and it's ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by TasteTheMagick

It's not his vehicle, it's the vehicle of the company he works for and he has no power over the advertisements on the bus he happens to be driving. If a Non-Christian person were to complain about a similar event they would be marked as a bad or immoral person. It's happened in my home town and it's ridiculous.

He may not own the vehicle but he is still seen as a representative. It's the same as making the guy walk around with a sandwich board advert. Sure it's not his sandwich board, but if he's the one walking around with it, people are going to think he ascribes to whatever is written on it.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   

That's fine, I already said that if he didn't want to drive the bus he shouldn't have to. But the company shouldn't tiptoe around him over an advertisement. If he wants to refuse to do his job for ANY reason than he should suffer the same consequences that go along with refusing to do what you are being paid for.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by huckfinn

My company has hundreds of thousands of companies on it's books, and a lot of them buy advertising banner space on the site. We're an internet job board. Are all those companies ethical? Does anyone work for any company that can guarantee everyone it deals with is operating ethically? I used to work for BT. They probably supplied phone lines to Huntingdon. I guess I should call PETA quick so they make me feel bad. Huntingdon was actually removed from advertising on our site because of the type of work they do. A good move in my eyes. Do I agree with what they do? No. I also don't agree with what Pharmaceutical companies, cosmetic companies, research labs, Coca Cola, all banks or Nestle does. I'd never work for one of them. But there's no way for me to know every single company that's a client of my work. And quitting over that is daft, cause believe me, these big companies are everywhere.

Don't even pretend you know me or my beliefs. You don't know my past or what i've been involved in. Do you use shampoo? Do you use pharmaceticals? When your ill does the doctor give you drugs to make you better? What about soap and washing up liquid? Do the people from PETA use these? Yeah, you bet they do.

Anyway, i digress from the point. This man has the right to quit, and the company has the right to sack him. Everyone has a right to their viewpoint. But this is hardly national news. If I walked out my work cause i didn't agree with an advertising slogan no one would care. Since this is religious it gets headline news.

[edit on 16-1-2009 by Nammu]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
All I can say is I would NEVER drive a bus like that.

I am 100% sure that atheists would strongly oppose positive messages about God on buses. They would start a revolution to remove them.

Atheists are very, very close to communists. Same mentality, same ruthless ideas...one step from mass murder.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I think the man has the right not to drive the bus. It is against his religion, and against his beliefs. No true someone who beleives in something so strongly could just drive around carelessly thinking about all the people he is affecting by the words on his bus, the kids...

Why should everyone comform to Atheist views?
Would atheists be offended if this bus' said there probably is a God?
Even the top scientists of today about 80% of them think there is some superior being out there...

So... again, why cant Christians go around posting their slander against atheists, it is a clear degrading move is it not? The Atheists have done it, because God is Christian, God is NOT Muslim, so atheists should have said THere is probably no Creator, or Superior being, but nope, they focused on God...

Dont be ignorant, Atheists should not have posted these sayings on the Buses Period, if the Government wants to teach the world that religion is a fraud they need to be men about it and grow a pair, not have people get warmed up to the fact.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by greshnik

Communists? Are you out of your mind? Just because atheists don't share your belief system doesn't mean that they are not STILL good people. There are billboards ALL over the place that say little phrases that at the end are credited to God or Jesus and you don't see the Atheists all up in arms about it.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   

So do Jews and Muslims, What's your point?.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
hey good for him. I a remember a time when people actually stood for things they believe in, but now adays its ok if everyone just sits behind one person who pretends to do things.

Also, since when did the athietsts need to advertise on a bus? You only advertise when you have something to push...

are the athieists building churches where they can sit and worship (not) God?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join