It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mobile phones for a given sit X

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I believe that the radio suggestions given by others above are a very good idea. However one thing you haven't mentioned so far is walkie-talkies. These would be extremely useful if you only wanted to be in contact with a select group of people. Each person or group has a walkie-talkie, rechargeable batteries and a solar powered charger. There you go quick simple communication with a pretty much infinite power supply.

They do not require mobile networks or satellites, are simple to use and would be using a power supply that noone can (as of yet) control. Plus they are a lot quicker to use than mobiles (cells for you americans).

Well any other suggestions out there.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

Either way I would like the choice of being found or not being found.
Options are always friends in my mind.It allows for more choices and in any situation sitx or not,I would like the control over my own life.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cauch1
I believe that the radio suggestions given by others above are a very good idea. However one thing you haven't mentioned so far is walkie-talkies. These would be extremely useful if you only wanted to be in contact with a select group of people. Each person or group has a walkie-talkie, rechargeable batteries and a solar powered charger. There you go quick simple communication with a pretty much infinite power supply.

They do not require mobile networks or satellites, are simple to use and would be using a power supply that noone can (as of yet) control. Plus they are a lot quicker to use than mobiles (cells for you americans).

Well any other suggestions out there.

yep these are the GMRS radios I am talking about. Handheld, 4 or 5 watts each.

They sell for about $120 each but that's a bargain considering the way they are built.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Not ALL situation X's have to be apocalyptic or conspiratal ones, some can be simple like floods, avalanches, vehicle breakdowns etc etc. Try thinking outside of the narrow box once in a while.

All I am saying is, do NOT dismiss the humble mobile phone (cell phone), it has proven itself time and time again in recent years in helping to save lives, not just your own.

One more thing to consider with carrying a mobile phone is getting yourself one of the wind-up radios or torches that also have the mobile phone connectors so you can charge them up if needed.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Couple of thoughts (I admit I did not read throught the whole thread)

1) You need to make sure you can charge the phone in alternative ways.
I have a hand crank charger that fits many phones and have just gotten a solar one

2) Depending on the SHTF situation you may have to exersize caution as even though you can turn off the GPS function for 911, I have no doubt someone with little effort like the government could DF you in a second or two

3) Satelite phone offer the best advantage in non NWO takeover situations. Unless dealing with an EMP disaster, the switching gear is on the Satelite and you could connect to others with a similar phone.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I keep my phone simple. Its just a phone and it can do text of course but nothing else. I wouldn't use any thing else so why have it? That is for me only, for Others I say if you will use the tools then go for it.

There is a post that might interest you about survival and cell phones.
your eye,s ears, and your cell phone

Thanks for reminding us about unconventional survival tools starred and flagged.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Wotan as you point out there are other situations that could happen but if you are in a city hit by an earthquake or whatever and the phones are down wouldn't hand-held radios/walkie-talkies still be useful.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wotan
There are some very paranoid people here.

The situation X may not be Government Conspiracy related ..... have you thought of that? If you were stuck out in the sticks, a mobile phone could be your lifeline, it could make the very last call to your loved ones before you died.

The mobile phone is probably the best comms unit you could cheaply and easily carry with you whilst in the wilds. I have a rugged Sony Ericson with GPS, Camera, Torch, etc etc.

If and its a big IF, the government declared martial law and all that went with it, do you really think that they would be looking specifically for YOU ..... remember there will also be millions of people just like you with mobile phones out there ...... do you really think they are going to track all of you ........ get a grip.

Thank you Wotan.
I have been trying to explain that alot and you have hit the nail on the head sir.
Again many thanks.

[edit on 16-1-2009 by colec156]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by colec156

The situation X may not be Government Conspiracy related ..... have you thought of that? If you were stuck out in the sticks, a mobile phone could be your lifeline, it could make the very last call to your loved ones before you died.

The mobile phone is probably the best comms unit you could cheaply and easily carry with you whilst in the wilds. I have a rugged Sony Ericson with GPS, Camera, Torch, etc etc.

If and its a big IF, the government declared martial law and all that went with it, do you really think that they would be looking specifically for YOU ..... remember there will also be millions of people just like you with mobile phones out there ...... do you really think they are going to track all of you ........ get a grip.

Thank you Wotan.
I have been trying to explain that alot and you have hit the nail on the head sir.
Again many thanks.

Paranoia Breeds Fear, Preparation Breeds Confidence.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider

Originally posted by colec156

Thank you Wotan.
Again many thanks.

And Northern Raider, you have much wisdom that it can only help any new survivalist.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   

And Northern Raider, you have much wisdom that it can only help any new survivalist.

Naaa Its me quoting really wise people like Oliver Cromwell, Winston Churchill, I only pass on the lessons that I learned years ago from others who had in their own times had to also learn from their mistakes.
I'm not wise, I'm just cautious.
)

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Like many posts on here it seems that the parameters of the question are vague. "SitX" leaves a lot of room for interpretation. If we are talking about a natural disaster or even a terrorist attack,of global proportions a cell phone "might" work and be helpful. Personally, I carry a blackberry and it is very useful. BUT, I am also a believer in having a "technology free" plan. (Yes I realize the term technology isn't necessarily proper). But you should always have a plan that doesn't rely on technology. The people on here that make mention of their families knowing what to do in a sitX without the use of a phone are legs up on the competition. Further, in the event of a martial law or "government controlled/caused" sitX Cell phones could then be either useless or a liability. And God forbid we have a nuclear sitX...the odds of cell phones working for communications are slim in that scenario. If we want to assure some kind of small unit communication I think the people who mentioned the GMRS are going in the right direction. But don't forget about the old fastioned CB radio. I was reminded of its usefulness just last week as I travelled across Nevada. There were places where cell phones didn't work but signs everywhere noted how the CB radios were monitored for emergencies.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixDemon
Like many posts on here it seems that the parameters of the question are vague. "SitX" leaves a lot of room for interpretation. If we are talking about a natural disaster or even a terrorist attack,of global proportions a cell phone "might" work and be helpful. Personally, I carry a blackberry and it is very useful. BUT, I am also a believer in having a "technology free" plan. (Yes I realize the term technology isn't necessarily proper). But you should always have a plan that doesn't rely on technology. The people on here that make mention of their families knowing what to do in a sitX without the use of a phone are legs up on the competition. Further, in the event of a martial law or "government controlled/caused" sitX Cell phones could then be either useless or a liability. And God forbid we have a nuclear sitX...the odds of cell phones working for communications are slim in that scenario. If we want to assure some kind of small unit communication I think the people who mentioned the GMRS are going in the right direction. But don't forget about the old fastioned CB radio. I was reminded of its usefulness just last week as I travelled across Nevada. There were places where cell phones didn't work but signs everywhere noted how the CB radios were monitored for emergencies.

Absolutely agree, your words are wise, Up here in the north of England there are parts of the dales ( tyne, wear, tees, esk, wensley, etc) where cell phones dont get any reception and the locals use PMRs and FM CBs to stay in touch ( 27 AM being illegal in the UK )

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixDemon

You are quite right we should have a technology free method as back up. Also you were talking about GMRS and you need to careful with that as you need to apply for a license with it and if it is a government caused sitx you might not want to be registered with them. Try lower tech similair things where the handsets are directly linked to each other and are cheap ones that you can pick up with cash nothing that you have to sign for.

[edit on 17/1/2009 by Cauch1]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
A quick note regarding FCC licensing for the GMRS radios. I first purchased 6 midland radios at a cost of about $80 per unit and I actually applied for and recieved the license. At the time I was using them for my PI business. However, the licensing process was minimal and I have never renewed it. I hardly think the government will find my FCC license application very useful to them should SitX happen. At any rate nothing stops you from buying the units and using them without a license. But, if you are uncomfortable violating FCC regs, you can always go with CB's...

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixDemon

My mistake I was under the impression that they worked like mobile phones and required and active license to work.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I don't want to be seen as funny but.
Sitx. There is a sticky at the top of the survival forum that lists all types of stix's and there type being natural or man made etc.

Why some people feel that a sitx will require them to ditch there phone, grab there rambo knife and string vest and run to the hills and evade the govt at all costs, I will never know.
These people do make me laugh....

Sorry rant over and now back to topic.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   
It was just mentioned on BBC regional news that because of the chaos the snow is causing the sheer amount of people using the cell phone networks is causing it to crash in places, the system can not cope with the massive volumes of people trying to phone home, work or call for help.The cells are tripping out or failing in areas of high traffic.Here in Co durham there is a problem witn Ambulances because two of the 999 fleet have crashed, the police are saying many of their vehicles are also stuck in snow drifts or gridlocked traffic.

Learn these lessons people.
Respects NR

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I keep a solar charger with multiple phone plugs in my BoB, but I wouldn't be too hopeful of the phone network coping in a sit x situation.

For every day carry (that's a new acronym for me!) I'd just focus on battery life.

I recently bought a cheap Samsung, a C350 I think, for just $30 Australian brand new on a prepaid setup, and it has a built-in radio, so I'd say there's a few phones today that have a radio built-in, even the ultra cheap ones.

My main phone is a SE z550i, it also has a radio, and the battery life on standby is good for a week or more.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by mattguy404
I keep a solar charger with multiple phone plugs in my BoB, but I wouldn't be too hopeful of the phone network coping in a sit x situation.

For every day carry (that's a new acronym for me!) I'd just focus on battery life.

I recently bought a cheap Samsung, a C350 I think, for just $30 Australian brand new on a prepaid setup, and it has a built-in radio, so I'd say there's a few phones today that have a radio built-in, even the ultra cheap ones.

My main phone is a SE z550i, it also has a radio, and the battery life on standby is good for a week or more.

Hi Matt, you will like the EDC genre, It fits nicely at the top of the pile, EDC, GOOD, BOB, INCH,Stockpile, Cache etc, theres are some very good EDC forums.
Respects
NR

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join