It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mobile phones for a given sit X

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Hi All.

As you all know we face many possible situations out in the world on a daily basis.
Northern Raider has an excellent thread running at the moment on EDC ( every Day Carry ).
I want to follow that same stance and look at mobile phones that can lend themselves to other situations.

My Disclaimer.
I am not trying to sell a phone or promote a mobile phone company.

My EDC includes my Sony Ericsson W810i phone.

This features a good standard camera for pictures and video's with light.
You never know when you may need a pic of video during an sit x.

The light is really bright and can be used independently of the camera.
The light has 3 settings, 1. On Full, 2. On for 1 minute 3. light will flash SOS.
Again this light if you have no other can be a life saver.

This phone in conjunction with its hands free kit becomes a FM Radio so if there is a sit x going down you can tune into radio stations for news and updates.

And finally this phone does what any mobile phone should, Calls and texts.

I never actually gave my phone a thought as a survival tool, and when I started to take a good look I realised what a good phone I have.

Have any of you really taken a good long look at your mobile / cell phone as a survival tool ? If so what phone did you choose for your EDC.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
The first thing I am going to do is throw my phone away.
I don't like the idea of having a gps unit on me or any trace that I am even alive to the authorities.
The people I made my plans with already know where to be and what to do without using a phone.
Anyone I am worried about when we get separated already know where and when to meet.
A phone would be obsolete to me at that point.
Besides,why would you assume it would still work.If you no pay the bill then you no have the phone.It might last for a month if you are lucky in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Over in the UK you can get Cell Phones that have build in electronic compasses AND GPS, they are indeed useful for individuals to use in personal crisese, IE a guy getting lost and using one to pin point his position then navigate his way to safety.
BUT ( Always a caveat isnt there) when its not a lost or stranded individual but a major SitX type event, if the power goes off so does the cell network, so in those instances you have a GPS and Compass but no comms, thats still better than nothing.

Note about cell phone operation during 7/7 in London and during the train attacks in Madrid, again with the car bombs in London that failed to go off, and in parts of NYC after 911 the authorities turned off the cell networks in places to prevent the terrorists from using cell phones to trigger more explosions. So cell phones are handy providing the sit x does not disrupt the power suply to the cells, or the government does not turn off the cell towers in response to a SitX problem

Cells are convenient but generally a liability in a big disaster.

[edit on 15-1-2009 by Northern Raider]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Just my 2 cents worth. I could be blowing things way out of proportion depending upon the circumstances of Sit X.

Cell phones have GPS tracking. I would not want one of these in my possession if you are not wanting to be found. They say you can disable them but do they really? Plus they can still triangulate your location with them. They also need electricity. Which may be a problem if you are not around electricity or electricity no longer becomes available, then cell towers would not work either. Line tapping could also be used against you if you do decide to use cell phones.

Just some food for thought. I would leave my cell at home. But that is just my opinion.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaxium
Just my 2 cents worth. I could be blowing things way out of proportion depending upon the circumstances of Sit X.

Cell phones have GPS tracking. I

Only in the US, not UK, EU or OZ, The nearest the authoritiescan do over here is locate which cell tower your phone is connecting to, and in the UK that can be up to a 3 miles radius.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
If, I stress IF, it's even possible to use a cell phone in Sit-X I suppose I'd grab a couple of those pre-paid phones that are so popular with the illegal immigrants and drug dealing/using high school kids. I'd grab a Nokia because I have a dynamo that will charge the battery.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
The first thing I am going to do is throw my phone away.
I don't like the idea of having a gps unit on me or any trace that I am even alive to the authorities.
The people I made my plans with already know where to be and what to do without using a phone.
Anyone I am worried about when we get separated already know where and when to meet.
A phone would be obsolete to me at that point.
Besides,why would you assume it would still work.If you no pay the bill then you no have the phone.It might last for a month if you are lucky in my opinion.

ok I agree with your points about not wanting to be found, but please remember that not every sitx requires you to run to the hills.

Take a terrorist threat, my phone allows you to have a torch and be able to listen in to news broadcasts and updates on the Radio. Even if the phone network is down.
It's for your everyday carry, so I have a cell phone, radio and torch all in one. To me thats a good EDC tool.

[edit on 15-1-2009 by colec156]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
If, I stress IF, it's even possible to use a cell phone in Sit-X I suppose I'd grab a couple of those pre-paid phones that are so popular with the illegal immigrants and drug dealing/using high school kids. I'd grab a Nokia because I have a dynamo that will charge the battery.

Again a sitx is not always the complete destruction of society as we know it.
Comms during some sitx's maybe down, but again this phone doubles as a torch if only for a short time. Hence it's in my EDC.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
It depends on the Sit X and your location. Pinpointing your exact location via cell masts is bloody difficult if you are NOT in a city. Cities have many, many towers and can pinpoint you to maybe a 100yds radius or less. If you are miles from nowhere (and still have a signal) then the cell radius can be measured in square miles.
IMHO they are great for every day carry items especially considering the various apps you can install on them. If the grid goes down then yes, it becomes less usefull. Dont forget, if your battery has power still then it can light fire. Thin strand of wire over the terminals and some tinder and Bobs your uncle.

And unless you are Osama BinBags brother why would the spooks or slime being looking for you anyway?

Rgds

[edit on 15/1/09 by Dark Vengeance]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
i would leave my mobile at home too, my friend in the TA has used the kit which lets you locate someone to within a few meters just by putting their mobile number in -its scary stuff.

the signal would be down in any real emergency and satnav would be turned off (it is american army run don't forget, until the euro system goes live)

that said, in a mild situation such as a local disaster or minor chaos being able to call people could be very, very useful.

having a fm radio is useful but if you're going to have one at all you really need one with a good clear signal, mobile phone radios are often very poor - you might not be able to get to a clear spot outside to find reception, local radio masts may be broken, etc, etc, etc

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
For those concerned with being tracked via your phone there's also software like FlexiSpy available to any idiot with $50 and like any PC app there is sure to be a way to get it for free.

news.cnet.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Vengeance
It depends on the Sit X and your location. Pinpointing your exact location via cell masts is bloody difficult if you are NOT in a city. Cities have many, many towers and can pinpoint you to maybe a 100yds radius or less. If you are miles from nowhere (and still have a signal) then the cell radius can be measured in square miles.
IMHO they are great for every day carry items especially considering the various apps you can install on them. If the grid goes down then yes, it becomes less usefull. Dont forget, if your battery has power still then it can light fire. Thin strand of wire over the terminals and some tinder and Bobs your uncle.

Rgds

I very sensible reply.
That was my line of thought, that my phone has a light, can receive FM radio and can still call.
I just thought that with a little thought, you mobile / cell phone can also be a multi tool.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by NatureBoy
i would leave my mobile at home too, my friend in the TA has used the kit which lets you locate someone to within a few meters just by putting their mobile number in -its scary stuff.

Tracking to within a few metres is not possible in the UK if the target phone is out in the sticks. The spooks/slime need to know the masts the phone is logged onto. They then basically triangulate and say subjects phone is within xM's of whatever. And as my previous post (the edited version) Who would you be scared of being tracked by? There are millions of mobile phones in the UK alone and unless you are under the spooks eye then Im sure that phone tracking is the least of your worries

Rgds

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
There are some very paranoid people here.

The situation X may not be Government Conspiracy related ..... have you thought of that? If you were stuck out in the sticks, a mobile phone could be your lifeline, it could make the very last call to your loved ones before you died.

The mobile phone is probably the best comms unit you could cheaply and easily carry with you whilst in the wilds. I have a rugged Sony Ericson with GPS, Camera, Torch, etc etc.

If and its a big IF, the government declared martial law and all that went with it, do you really think that they would be looking specifically for YOU ..... remember there will also be millions of people just like you with mobile phones out there ...... do you really think they are going to track all of you ........ get a grip.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wotan
There are some very paranoid people here.

do you really think they are going to track all of you ........ get a grip.

Its the americans they think everyone is out to get them..........Oh wait everyone is out to get them

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Vengeance

the army use a bit of kit which can find someone anywhere in the uk to within a couple of meters, it's not like the old style triangulation.

besides phones have only been mobile since the 80's we don't really need them, two way radios are a far better option -some of the better ones have some really useful features, even gps (while the network is switched to public use) -you can plug in external mics, aerials, etc and create a good comms station when you pitch up or carry just the box and have a light wight unit with a range of a few miles. Variable bands, active signal seeking, etc can all be very useful if people are near you, many units can locate the direction of a signal which would be very useful if some evil UN blue hats (or whatever) were after you.

In many of the sitxs that we prepare for we should assume that the mobile phone system is either down or broken, WW3 starts and china will take out most the sats for example, the em pluse from a nuke would knock many out, the army would need all the sats for their own use, the gov would turn them off to stop terrorists, etc, etc, etc.

phones might be useful but make sure you know how to survive without one.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
My local group is using analog GMRS radios. We use commercial-grade stuff, not the bubble pack crap at wal-mart.

Many mil-spec radios can be had at a very low cost and since they are analog technology they don't rely on cells and towers.

GMRS usage requires licensure but I am sure in SITX the FCC is not going to care.

GMRS radios can operate at up to five watts in a UHF portable and up to 50 watts with an inexpensive base station and antenna running off a gel-cell battery or generator.

A 50 watt base or repeater setup will give you about a 25 mile range to the handheld radios and since you can keep all the stuff in a shelter until you deploy you don't have to worry about EMP melting your phone.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

Paranoia is only bad because THEY want you to think it is, haha better to be a little paranoid than a lot dead, hehe, are you still paranoid if they really are out to get you?

i don't realy think the government are going to track me down and eat me, however if for some reason i am trying to escape imperial forces then i want to make sure i'm able to do it -look around at the world, look how crazy it all is -do you really think it's going to last much longer? seriously how long can we carry on messing everything up and causing chaos and war everywhere without it affecting our green and pleasant land?

At some point in the next fifty years doom is coming, weather it's small scale doom which affects only me or the whole world is set ablaze i will need to survive at some point in my life, especially because i want to live a full and interesting life. Anything could happen which requires my swift retreat to safety or a dangerous trip through a war zone or anything and i want to be ready for that, if it never happens then great the skills will help me in every day life too -i've never been able to afford to do things the easy way, having survival skils means i can actually afford to travel the world and imo adds a great deal to the fun of it all too.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
i do would recommended the Cest p168c it works on quadband works with any sim card prepaid or plan. has a hell of a long battery life
Stand-by time: Up to 150h Talk time: 180min--300min , comes with two batteries a car charger and a usb cable for charging from a computer.

www.dealextreme.com...

i don't know if you need a phone but this is the one i would go with in Sit-x

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
all of this assumes that in such an sit x event, cell phones would still be working. i'd stick with an analog based solution. (ham bands, citizens band, etc)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join